• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you think some enjoy boxing or wrestling?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I agree that people like different things, but I share the OP's distaste for a sport where the objective is for the participants to hurt each other, like boxing. Wrestling is a bit different, as hurt is not the primary objective, at least in variants like College wrestling where it's mainly skill and any injuries are accidental. WWE is more of a scripted spectacle, designed to appeal to, lets say baser instincts.

I sometimes wonder, if Roman style gladiatorial contests became legal, how many people would gladly attend and shriek with pleasure as blood soaked into the sand. I fear many would.
Good point. Here's what I think might happen: there would be protests by some, maybe discussions from doctors, but the sport might go on. I doubt it would be allowed now, however. I will say though that there were many reports (warnings) in the Pittsburgh area because football is so popular there from doctors (neurologists) about the dangers of football and the harm it has done to players. Those who support the sport really do not care, though.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think the 3 stooges are different than playing golf. For me it's not funny to poke at someone's eyes or hit them on the head. I wouldn't let my children watch them, but if you would that's up to you.

I think the 3 stooges are different than playing golf. For me it's not funny to poke at someone's eyes or hit them on the head. I wouldn't let my children watch them, but if you would that's up to you.
Just for the record, I hate the Three Stooges.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing for the people in this thread...apart from considering this all from a spectators point of view, do you have thoughts about the participants point of view.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing for the people in this thread...apart from considering this all from a spectators point of view, do you have thoughts about the participants point of view.

I thought this description from the movie Eight Men Out gives some interesting insight regarding the point of view of the participants:

Chick Gandil : I did some fighting in my time. Once I was fighting a guy, my eyes were all bloody but I landed a lucky punch. The next thing I know I'm steppin' on something and it's the other guy's teeth. The referee raised my hand and someone shoved fifty bucks in my shorts. "What does he get?" I asked. The referee says, "From the looks of this jaw, a liquid diet for six weeks." Now what we should have done is held each other up for thirteen rounds and split the fifty.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I watch the Stooges with my kids.

It keeps them occupied, so they're not poking each other in the eye and hitting each other in the head.

My middle son has almost no interest in TV. He used to watch Spongebob, but nothing else. My youngest likes to watch bratty kids play with YouTube, but that's off limits(it makes him act like those kids). He tries to sneak it when I'm not looking.

My oldest will be an adult next month. I no longer monitor what he watches.

YoursTrue

I watch the Stooges with my kids.

It keeps them occupied, so they're not poking each other in the eye and hitting each other in the head.

My middle son has almost no interest in TV. He used to watch Spongebob, but nothing else. My youngest likes to watch bratty kids play with YouTube, but that's off limits(it makes him act like those kids). He tries to sneak it when I'm not looking.

My oldest will be an adult next month. I no longer monitor what he watches.
My parents didn't take much interest in what I watched but I was given an exceptional education including musical. I had no real direction morally, however. I find the Three Stooges horrible and would not encourage anyone to watch them. They are disgusting as far as I am concerned. But I know some people find them funny. Thank you for your reply.
Children must be taught, not by bad examples, but by good examples if possible. Parents must take time to teach their children kindly. I agree that what we take in visually can definitely affect behavior.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought this description from the movie Eight Men Out gives some interesting insight regarding the point of view of the participants:

Chick Gandil : I did some fighting in my time. Once I was fighting a guy, my eyes were all bloody but I landed a lucky punch. The next thing I know I'm steppin' on something and it's the other guy's teeth. The referee raised my hand and someone shoved fifty bucks in my shorts. "What does he get?" I asked. The referee says, "From the looks of this jaw, a liquid diet for six weeks." Now what we should have done is held each other up for thirteen rounds and split the fifty.
Never been a boxer, and I won't pretend that there aren't plenty of people who do it purely as a way to make money, so professionalism is always a consideration, once you get to a certain level.
But there are a LOT of people who grew up doing wrestling when there was very little money to be made, and indeed it even cost them to participate.
I've played contact sports (Aussie Rules) at a senior level without pay (some of my teammates were paid) purely to test myself.
I think it's worth considering that the intent on contact or combat sports is not always about inflicting damage, or delight in the same. Indeed, for contact sports I would say it's generally not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Never been a boxer, and I won't pretend that there aren't plenty of people who do it purely as a way to make money, so professionalism is always a consideration, once you get to a certain level.
But there are a LOT of people who grew up doing wrestling when there was very little money to be made, and indeed it even cost them to participate.
I've played contact sports (Aussie Rules) at a senior level without pay (some of my teammates were paid) purely to test myself.
I think it's worth considering that the intent on contact or combat sports is not always about inflicting damage, or delight in the same. Indeed, for contact sports I would say it's generally not.

There may be other motivating factors, such as glory, fame, or even perhaps a certain level of respect or fear. Or perhaps as portrayed in a movie like "The Karate Kid," a story of a bullied kid prevailing over his tormentors. It's actually a common trope in society, where the central message is that being a tough guy or good in a fight is the only way to gain respect. Even if one loses, if one puts up a good enough fight, even that can gain respectability. But even then, that's something that has more value when one is a teen or a young adult. Eventually, one grows out of that mindset (while their body is telling them they're not as young as they used to be and can't compete with the youngsters anymore).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There may be other motivating factors, such as glory, fame, or even perhaps a certain level of respect or fear. Or perhaps as portrayed in a movie like "The Karate Kid," a story of a bullied kid prevailing over his tormentors. It's actually a common trope in society, where the central message is that being a tough guy or good in a fight is the only way to gain respect. Even if one loses, if one puts up a good enough fight, even that can gain respectability. But even then, that's something that has more value when one is a teen or a young adult. Eventually, one grows out of that mindset (while their body is telling them they're not as young as they used to be and can't compete with the youngsters anymore).

I think in some cases it would be more apt to compare it to climbing a mountain. A desire to test oneself. For me, that was a key tenet in why I've always loved competitive sports and am still playing at 49.

I guess it could be that I've never grown out of a teenage mindset, but I don't think so.
Now, to be fair, I'm talking more about team sports there than combat sports, so there is obviously some difference.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think in some cases it would be more apt to compare it to climbing a mountain. A desire to test oneself. For me, that was a key tenet in why I've always loved competitive sports and am still playing at 49.

I guess it could be that I've never grown out of a teenage mindset, but I don't think so.
Now, to be fair, I'm talking more about team sports there than combat sports, so there is obviously some difference.

I generally prefer team sports myself, but even then, there have been instances where players from opposite teams would start fighting. It has been relatively common in hockey, although even baseball (supposedly the "gentlemanly sport") has had bench-clearing brawls - or even worse (like what happened when Cleveland had 10¢ Beer Night). Of course, the fans seem to get into it as well, which may be part of the attraction.

One thing about combat sports which comes to mind is that it seems to reinforce a certain mythos about the "fair fight." In real world combat, is it ever really that fair?

YoursTrue

I generally prefer team sports myself, but even then, there have been instances where players from opposite teams would start fighting. It has been relatively common in hockey, although even baseball (supposedly the "gentlemanly sport") has had bench-clearing brawls - or even worse (like what happened when Cleveland had 10¢ Beer Night). Of course, the fans seem to get into it as well, which may be part of the attraction.

One thing about combat sports which comes to mind is that it seems to reinforce a certain mythos about the "fair fight." In real world combat, is it ever really that fair?
Good question.
I like Billy Joel's music and I was reading a little about him. He was bullied as a youngster and so decided to learn to fight. He was doing pretty well but then someone broke his nose and he stopped. Nevertheless I'm thinking that could be why many learn to box or wrestle since they feel they must defend themselves.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was seeing an ad with men hurling each other, slamming each other down in the ring, crowds cheering, and wonder why would people enjoy that?
I found this link about the psychological benefits:
Code:
https://www.sportingbounce.com/blog/the-role-of-psychology-in-wrestling-performance
In summary its about the psychological aspects of wrestling. They say that its a sport requiring mental toughness, strategy, and emotional control. Wrestlers learn concentration, stress management, goal setting, built self confidence and learn how to stay motivated. Coaches work with students in these areas, according to that.

My introduction to wrestling was not so good. One day my gym coach announced we would have a wrestling demonstration, and I got picked to be the dummy. I had no way to get home other than riding the bus, so I couldn't have joined the team anyway. The school was just full of opportunities that were not available to me. Anyways the wrestling demonstration was like being the new guy on Team Fortress. Not fun. Did my best, the experienced wrestler got pissed at me and gave me a hard time after that. I nearly killed him once for attacking me openly in class, cause he was provoking me into a fight for not apparent reason. I guess the mental training wasn't helping him deal with whatever was eating him. Forget wrestling I would have stabbed him or pushed him down some stairs. So forget wrestling I say. I say its a waste of time. Sure it might be fun if you can get a ride home late after school and aren't hated by the wrestling team.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Good question.
I like Billy Joel's music and I was reading a little about him. He was bullied as a youngster and so decided to learn to fight. He was doing pretty well but then someone broke his nose and he stopped. Nevertheless I'm thinking that could be why many learn to box or wrestle since they feel they must defend themselves.

I can see learning basic self-defense skills, and of course, there will always be a need for armies (unfortunately).

But when it comes to combat sports, I think of the question posed in the movie Wargames.

David Lightman : Is this a game or is it real?

Joshua : What's the difference?

YoursTrue

I found this link about the psychological benefits:
Code:
https://www.sportingbounce.com/blog/the-role-of-psychology-in-wrestling-performance
In summary its about the psychological aspects of wrestling. They say that its a sport requiring mental toughness, strategy, and emotional control. Wrestlers learn concentration, stress management, goal setting, built self confidence and learn how to stay motivated. Coaches work with students in these areas, according to that.

My introduction to wrestling was not so good. One day my gym coach announced we would have a wrestling demonstration, and I got picked to be the dummy. I had no way to get home other than riding the bus, so I couldn't have joined the team anyway. The school was just full of opportunities that were not available to me. Anyways the wrestling demonstration was like being the new guy on Team Fortress. Not fun. Did my best, the experienced wrestler got pissed at me and gave me a hard time after that. I nearly killed him once for attacking me openly in class, cause he was provoking me into a fight for not apparent reason. I guess the mental training wasn't helping him deal with whatever was eating him. Forget wrestling I would have stabbed him or pushed him down some stairs. So forget wrestling I say. I say its a waste of time. Sure it might be fun if you can get a ride home late after school and aren't hated by the wrestling team.
Yes, to be non-combative in personal life (not sport) is almost an art.