• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you think (various) faith has stuck around so firmly?

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
From my viewpoint, I always struggle to really understand this.

I understand the reasons why people want to believe in something, but ultimately cannot really grasp why they actually do.

I simply don't understand why there are not more people leaving their religion, and coming to a more logical conclusion for life.

We are a world of technological marvel. Man has come so far in the scentific realm that it makes my head spin if I think about the things we can do now.

So why has fervent religiousness stuck around so firmly? And why is it on the increase in many places?

Thoughts?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think we're all logical and rational in our own terms. I also think that people have a deep seated need for meaning in their lives.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In some way, religiosity appears to be hard wired into our genes. See Scott Atran's book on the subject.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
In some way, religiosity appears to be hard wired into our genes. See Scott Atran's book on the subject.

It's hard-wired into our genes?

That term implies past action, which implies someone had to have acted. Someone higher then us...

I think you're right: God hard-wired it into our genes. It's that simple.

I think the real question is; how has atheism achieved a following when the only evidence it offers is that we can't see God.

Now for specific faiths. Maybe God preserves His chuch, maybe they thrive on evangelization, maybe false faiths (whichever they may be ;)) are kept intact by the devil...

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

That term implies past action, which implies someone had to have acted. Someone higher then us...

I think the real question is; how has atheism achieved a following when the only evidence it offers is that we can't see God.

Now for specific faiths. Maybe God preserves His chuch, maybe they thrive on evangelization, maybe false faiths (whichever they may be ;)) are kept intact by the devil...

Many would argue that it is hard wired into our genes by evolution.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is not a debate forum, but a discussion forum. Moreover, it's a forum for atheists.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
frg001 said:
We are a world of technological marvel. Man has come so far in the scentific realm that it makes my head spin if I think about the things we can do now.

People who have a clear understanding of science and tackle things by thinking scientifically about them probably account for 15% or less of the general population. At least, that's a figure I've seen bandied about in some psychology literature.

Many would argue that it is hard wired into our genes by evolution.

I don't see why an Godless process would instill religious precepts.

This is not a debate forum, but a discussion forum. Moreover, it's a forum for atheists.

First of all, I see no "atheists only" sign. It's in the discussion slot, and atheists are all over the religious forums. There is no ban on theists in this forum

Secondly I wasn't debating; I was agreeing with you.

Thirdly, atheists discussing why faith and religions are maintained, when they have none themselves, is like paper wondering why people use computers.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
First of all, I see no "atheists only" sign. It's in the discussion slot, and atheists are all over the religious forums. There is no ban on theists in this forum

Thirdly, atheists discussing why faith and religions are maintained, when they have none themselves, is like paper wondering why people use computers.

RF Rule 10:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that Dir are permitted. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

RF Rule 10:

The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that Dir are permitted. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

I'll bow out.

But I agreed with you, so I don't know what the problem is...

Panda

42?
Premium Member

I understand the reasons why people want to believe in something, but ultimately cannot really grasp why they actually do.

I simply don't understand why there are not more people leaving their religion, and coming to a more logical conclusion for life.

So why has fervent religiousness stuck around so firmly? And why is it on the increase in many places?

Thoughts?

Lots of people need a higher being in their lives. They need it to make their lives have meaning. It can help them in their life and give them strength. On the flip side it can be used to justify horrible acts.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
I don't see why an Godless process would instill religious precepts.

It wasn't meant to create a debate. It was simply for floating ideas around my original question. A question of which you as a christian would struggle to answer without creating debate.

on your points... 1. Anyone can talk on other private forums, so long as they don't create debate.
2. You were not
3. So you come here and dismiss atheists points of view as not worthwhile with a vague insult. Thanks.

gnomon

Religions have proved extraordinarily successful in society. Religion also serves as a primary vessel of preserving traditions.

I think it's quite clear as to why religions are still around and bound to be around for quite some time. Especially when you consider technology is not contrary to religious belief. Most scientific discoveries seem to be adapted by religious theologies. The presence of a few high profile theories doesn't equate to whole scale conflict between science and religion.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**

Thoughts?

Here is one persons take on Scott Atran's book, Amazon.com: In Gods We Trust: The Evolutionary Landscape of Religion (Evolution and Cognition Series): Books: Scott Atran

Atran "explains that religion is not an "entity", even though we publicly commit resources to it. Since it's not an entity, religion itself cannot be an evolutionary adaptation. However, it does fit into an "evolutionary landscape". That landscape he describes in a metaphor of hills and valleys, with certain behaviours following the path of least resistance. The supernatural, Atran contends, arises from a "cultural manipulation" of habits derived from the Pleistocene - fear of predators, death and the quest for nourishment. Since humans live in groups, the interactions of individuals within the group reinforces these habits. When natural phenomena are transformed into the supernatural conformity results."

I am quite fond of this language, "The supernatural ... arises from a "cultural manipulation" of habits derived from the Pleistocene - fear of predators, death and the quest for nourishment."

Bathsheba

**{{}}**

Thoughts?

Regarding "why is it on the increase in many places" (tremendously worthwhile question IMO), I wonder about our perceptions regarding the increase.

What would we find if we were able to tract scientifically the overall religious fervor over the last 400 years? I'm wildly guessing that you would find a regular undulating of wax and wane. But there may be historians at RF that could put me straight.

Thoughts?

Many people are desparate to serve a higher force that will aid them in times of need, and i don't think many people regard the advancements of science to change what they believe, like to many people science if just this subject at school, that's all. And i don't think more and more people are starting to believe in god, i think the belief in god is in a slow, but steady decline.

Pah

Uber all member

Thoughts?
Loyal Rue in his book, Religion is not about God , explains there are several mechanisms responsible.

A central myth must be present which in the case of Christianity is summarized in the Nicene creed. That myth is reinforced with three strategies - ritualistic, aesthetic, and institutional. The repetition of the myth and sub-myths born of it, the bending of art to portray the myth, and the religious organization controlling the other strategies serve to both educate followers and preserve the myth. Religion is the authority that interprets the myth. Parents are the "first line" in educating children.

Pah

Uber all member

Have the rules changed?