• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Worship?

arthra

Baha'i
I know there are many reasons people worship their god(s) I would like to know what they are. Is the reason you worship in thanks for being created? Fear of punishment? Hope for an after life? What motivates you to send prayers to whoever it is you worship?​

This is not for any specific religion, I am trying to work out the reasoning.​

When I worship God there's a prayer that I often recite which is along with another longer one part of my daily prayers:

"I bear witness O my God that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee...

I testify at this moment to my powerlessness and to Thy might...

to my poverty and to Thy wealth..

There is none other God but Thee

The Help in peril ...

The Self-Subsisting."

So what this daily prayer does is emphasize my relationship to God...that I was created to know and worship God..that God is a help in peril and is self subsisting.

So daily reminding myself of these things basically offers an order and direction for my life.

I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth.
There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.

I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee.
I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth.
I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I know there are many reasons people worship their god(s)
I would like to know what they are.
Non-Theistic Worship

An old thread of mine. I would just copy the op, but a) there were several interesting questions/ clarifications and b) the search function peppers the posts with obnoxious red highlights.

Is the reason you worship in thanks for being created? Fear of punishment? Hope for an after life?
None of the above.

What motivates you to send prayers to whoever it is you worship?

This is not for any specific religion, I am trying to work out the reasoning.
For me, it's pure, reverent celebration. It doesn't get you anything. It isn't required. And I don't actually pray.

When one is overcome with awe and joy, one worships. Simple as that.