• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do young and old people hate eachother on internet comments sections ?

Massimo2002

I can tell you part of the reason(tho it's true it's a time honored tradition and this is not true in all cases). Facebook. Its a **** cesspool. It makes folk fall into echo chambers. There's right wing propaganda going on particularly on Fox news that young folk are stupid, they brainwashed by the media etc etc. And Facebook enhances that propaganda many folk spreading that message from such groups. There's a lot of memes and videos such targeted to old folk badmouthing young people. And as for young folk we end up seeing folk post stuff like that even relatives. Because its an echo chamber we drive up reactionary responses. There's also old prejudices- old folk dont realize some the problems that young folk are going through. They think things like oh just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Not realizing the economy is different. I cant just buy a house on minimum wage. Again Facebook pushes that kind of propaganda and views. It becomes an echo chamber. I've seen it. And young people don't realize they too are caught in an echo chamber. The more folk react to each other the more intolerance is bred on both sides. And can't see where the other folk are coming from because it's a different echo chamber.

It drives up views. Money. Reacting angrily to each other
I don't think money has anything to do with this I think people are just evil and want an excuse to express hatred.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I don't think money has anything to do with this I think people are just evil and want an excuse to express hatred.
It does make Facebook money. Advertisement. The more folk use their site the more ads the more money they get from it

I can tell you part of the reason(tho it's true it's a time honored tradition and this is not true in all cases). Facebook. Its a **** cesspool. It makes folk fall into echo chambers. There's right wing propaganda going on particularly on Fox news that young folk are stupid, they brainwashed by the media etc etc. And Facebook enhances that propaganda many folk spreading that message from such groups. There's a lot of memes and videos such targeted to old folk badmouthing young people. And as for young folk we end up seeing folk post stuff like that even relatives. Because its an echo chamber we drive up reactionary responses. There's also old prejudices- old folk dont realize some the problems that young folk are going through. They think things like oh just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Not realizing the economy is different. I cant just buy a house on minimum wage. Again Facebook pushes that kind of propaganda and views. It becomes an echo chamber. I've seen it. And young people don't realize they too are caught in an echo chamber. The more folk react to each other the more intolerance is bred on both sides. And can't see where the other folk are coming from because it's a different echo chamber.

It drives up views. Money. Reacting angrily to each other

There is also the fact that whenever people are anonymous and/or don't see the person they are talking to directly in person, their empathy centers tend to shut off

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Cats in the Cradle ... he's grown up just like me....

My dad would like to think so. He tried to make me in his image. I know better. I raised my children differently. They are wonderful, unique, independent, and brilliant each in their own way.

The world doesn't need another, dybmh. One is more than enough.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think many people raised their kids differently than their parents raised them, but so what? This angst between generations is nothing new. Every generation blames the one before.

HonestJoe

I keep seeing this and I have to say it's just so mean and rude there's no need for this kind of hateful language directed at people's age or generation.
Pretty much the same reasons some people are abusive towards those of different genders, sexualities, nationalities, races, religions, hobbies, heights, hair colours.... and, for that matter, towards people just like them too.

Humans are, as a rule, ****s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as generational songs go, this is one I fancied:

People try to put us d-down (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (talkin' 'bout my generation)

Keith Moon and John Entwistle died before they got old, but Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are still alive.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I keep seeing this and I have to say it's just so mean and rude there's no need for this kind of hateful language directed at people's age or generation.
I would answer you, but I think you're young...and I'm old..... therefore I could only answer rudely and I'm not in the mood at the moment....

First I've heard of this old vs young division...but since we appear to be divided in just about every other possible way in our society...it does not surprise me

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think the young don't value their elders' opinions. They see them as out of touch with reality.

Kathryn

I think the young don't value their elders' opinions. They see them as out of touch with reality.
Oh I think so too - I just think this is an age old problem that's been around us for many decades, perpetrated by many people over the years. I mean, I remember thinking that my parents weren't cool, but I guess they were!

Kathryn

1719517681075.png

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Oh I think so too - I just think this is an age old problem that's been around us for many decades, perpetrated by many people over the years. I mean, I remember thinking that my parents weren't cool, but I guess they were!
Yes, true. I think with technology changing so quickly, it seems like an even bigger chasm.