• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does it feel better in the sort term to stay at home and do nothing ?

Massimo2002

I feel as though I have a week or days where I don't even want to leave the house perhaps because of depression. But I end up feeling terrible in the long term because I reflect that I did nothing for that day or week.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I feel as though I have a week or days where I don't even want to leave the house perhaps because of depression. But I end up feeling terrible in the long term because I reflect that I did nothing for that day or week.
Likely a body at rest wants to stay at rest. You could say entropy as well applies.

I'm not configured to be active either , but I still go out to work, shop, and eat when I'm compelled by my body and I'm OK with it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Our minds, like our bodies, need rest, so maybe this is what's happening with you? I've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I can relate to that

You are not alone

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The body/mind are contradictory. It's nice to take time out and relax, then the mind tells you that time was wasted, you could have been doing something important.
I tell my brain to butt out, I'm enjoying the down time. I'll do the other stuff when I'm ready.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Everyone's body and mind need a day's rest each week. Missing one once in a while is inevitable, but should not become a habit. Neither should one make a habit of taking more than one day per week. That is a sign of apathy that is strongly tied to depression.

Our bodies and minds also need exercise and stimulation. Living a good life is living a good balance. . .including being careful of that old "guilt" bug.

Massimo2002

Everyone's body and mind need a day's rest each week. Missing one once in a while is inevitable, but should not become a habit. Neither should one make a habit of taking more than one day per week. That is a sign of apathy that is strongly tied to depression.

Our bodies and minds also need exercise and stimulation. Living a good life is living a good balance. . .including being careful of that old "guilt" bug.
That sounds like a hard balancing act.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You don't need to be perfectly balanced. No one is, and what 'perfect' would even look like is hard to know.
Just try and be slightly better balanced this week than you were last week.
And keep trying to do that actively every week.
I'm trying to figure out what balance looks like around here. Its difficult without a model to go off of.

But I like your 'little bit better' idea. Its sound.

Tinkerpeach

Well you feel terrible because you did nothing.

Do you expect to feel good for accomplishing nothing?

Tinkerpeach

I do that but I still feel depression and paranoia.
Take it from me who’s had her brain scanned too many times to count and spent countless hours with shrinks.

Take drugs.

I would say to rely on the Holy Spirit but since I don’t know your level of faith then drugs are a great option especially for the paranoia.

Depression takes longer to figure out a treatment but it works eventually.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I went. It was unexciting.
You can always dress like a cat to make it more exciting. Last time I did that I also took a cat stuffed animal named Hope. A lady in a wheelchair cart came up to me got excited wanting to pet the stuffed cat and complimented my outfit. That was nice. But it's always fun dressing up gives some dopamine enough to get you out the house to shop