• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The point was that Adam lived in a state essentially devoid of suffering. It is often claimed that suffering is necessary for free-will.

Thus, the Garden of Eden could have been a template of a suffering-free-world in which free-will is still possible. This is something that many Christian apologeticists claim is impossible.
It is not a necessity unless freewill is abused. It is such a commonality that it is abused that it considered almost inseparable but technically it is not. The possibility of suffering is necessitated by freewill but not in actuality until abused. We probably state that too coarsely.

Even if you take this allegorically (no real Adam or Garden of Eden) you are still left with one of two choices:
1. The world started out without suffering. If so, then it is possible to have free-will without suffering.
See the above. Let me put it this way. It is not possible to have freewill without the possibility of suffering.

2. The world started out with suffering (because free-will requires it). However, if you choose 2, then this means that humans (and their sins) are not responsible for the suffering in the world, and that would be a pretty big blow to a main theme in Christianity, as well as PoE apologetics.
No the misuse of freewill actualized a necessary possibility of suffering. I hope I cleared this up. It was a valid point about our beliefs but not about reality.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Again, "might makes right" is YOUR belief. With your god being the mightiest and therefore the rightest.
No it is not, and you know very well I have stated over and over it is not God's might that makes anything moral, it is his moral nature. Murder does not become wrong by it's punishment. That is not even coherent. It is wrong so it is punished.

I have been waiting for you but am out of time. For some reason I have decided to give you a very bizarre question not related to anything. Here it is. If humans perform self inference and thought processes internally through English or heir native language. How do animals process thoughts internally?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
A rule God made is by necessity a moral issue.

1. I do not know how anyone can know if that story was intended to be literal to begin with.
2. If we rebel we no longer can be in harmony with God and he cannot dwell with us eternally and remain God. God must put an end to rebellion, he cannot allow it to perpetuate forever, that was the first necessity in the road back.
3. I think it is analogous to consequence in general. The worst thing you can do to a kid is not discipline them, the same is true with God. No one would believe sin was wrong if it it did not cause suffering.
4. If God exists the worst possible critic would be those he kicked out of the garden because they had darkened their minds through rebellion. The same as a punished child is about the worst judge of parenting possible.

That is a logical necessity. Since our wrongs cause ripple effects we can never even know exactly what can we ever have had to offer to fix this. If you look up substitutionary atonement the issue gets extremely simple and fixed.

This one just is not true to begin with.

That depends on what you think Hell is. I think God gives us lives we do not own, If we use them to deny God we receive that which we wished for. No God. We are obliterated from existence for eternity. This is well supported in scripture if you want an explanation. Exactly what is unjust about that.

That is not the expectation. God never expects anyone to be perfect. However that is the necessity. This is also why he had to pay the bill and we could not. He emphatically states we will never qualify our selves and must have faith in the only one who could. It is free of charge. What else can you want? Btw I am in a hurry and being very brief if you want explanations just ask. These are complex issues.

Humanity chose him, we got what we chose.

He gave us choice, we chose sin.

He dwelled with us until we evicted him. We chose ignorance and even call it good. He paid the entire cost to remedy even that.

They are all moral in principle, however it does not matter what we call them. They either are justifiable or not.

Before I respond more indepth, do you think it is possible for a human to not sin, to not make any mistakes?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No it is not, and you know very well I have stated over and over it is not God's might that makes anything moral, it is his moral nature. Murder does not become wrong by it's punishment. That is not even coherent. It is wrong so it is punished.

Yes, I know you've repeated it over and over but it ignores the Euthyphro dilemma (which I know you think is a settled matter) and regardless of whether or not god's moral nature is actually right, he's still supposedly vastly more mighty than us little peons on earth and thus can still do whatever "he" pleases and there really isn't much we could do about it. I've seen you admit to that before as well.
I have been waiting for you but am out of time. For some reason I have decided to give you a very bizarre question not related to anything. Here it is. If humans perform self inference and thought processes internally through English or heir native language. How do animals process thoughts internally?

I guess in the same way an infant processes thoughts internally without language.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Well Ica n see right off there is no truth to the adage that a lack of relationship with our creator causes an inherent hostility at all. No generalized frustration with relativity apparent here. I will be more than happy to admit mistakes when pointed out. You will find demanding things, making insults, and personal commentaries will not have any effect on me other than to terminate the discussion. I will ignore this as my faith requires and refer to you by the strange title you have in your description but I would not make it a habit and expect a continued debate.

Go ahead and ignore it. I will just take that as you admitting that you have nothing to say.

My claims do not depend on evidence
Obviously. You don't have any, anyway.

(of which there are mountains of anyway)
No, there isn't. Lol.

no figure in ancient history is as textually attested as Christ,
Religious writings by cults written many decades after the alleged "fact" aren't history. Later historians possibly referencing said cult writings does not count as historical evidence.

no text is even in the same textual reliability realm as the bible of any type in ancient history.
Only if you ignore all the rewrites, edits, unknown authors and other silliness that took place over the centuries. You have very low standards.

I have all the evidence I could possibly desire but need none of it here.
Of course you can't present what doesn't exist.

If an objective moral standard exists then God exists (or some similar being).
No such thing.

If God exists objective moral standards exist.
Nope. It would still be the morality of a subjective being.

There is no necessity for evidence concerning a logical deduction from what is necessarily true of concepts.
We can't even talk about evidence when your "logic" is failing right out of the gate.

I have no idea what would motivate a person to prefer to hold with a being that he most theological authoritative text in human history has loosing everything and being destroyed but if Satan exists as the supreme being my claims would be true of him.
The Bible is only "authoritative" to the religions that are based on it, but to no one else.

You obviously know nothing about Satanism in general or my beliefs specifically.

I imagine his morality would be what most would call insanity and change constantly but if he was the moral author of the universe he would be right.
Satan isn't a rule or law-giving deity. Rules and moral codes are man-made.

Fortunately there is no evidence he is right nor supreme and so that would be a wasted argument. Again if a optimal being exist objective morals exist.
No reason to believe that an "optimal being" exists.

I would expect if the bible was correct a Satanist to consider God's moral bad.
Don't have to be a Satanist to find the morality of the Bible god to be atrocious. That's simple criticism and has nothing to do with the validity of the claims in the book.

However this is really irrelevant since as a flawed creation as we all are and not the moral author of the universe your views by necessity cannot be used to judge God objectively.

If we're flawed, then your god is all the moreso.

There is no "moral author of the universe". The only place morality exists is in our minds. I have a mind. I'm assuming your god is a thinking being. So I can easily judge him.

At best a human can deny a God's compatibility with his own corrupt sense of morality.
Yes, genocide, slavery, rape, religious exclusivity, eternal torture, unnecessary guilt and shame hatred of yourself for being a human are all extremely offensive to my moral sensitivities. I'm far more moral than your god is.

I can say for example that Allah and Satan are not compatible with my morality built since I am not God and not eh arbiter of moral truth if they exist I can't say they are objectively wrong.
I just call that having no backbone. All humans have the right to criticize whatever we please. We have interests as individuals and as a species. Your god has his own interests. We can certainly examine if those interests are in conflict.

Have you ever studied ethics, divine command, and moral theory?
Yes, I've listened to the bumbling arguments of people like Craig.

You seem to not be understanding what is involved here. Your opinion about the being more associated with love and goodness than any other in history has no meaningful relevance to anything involved in determining moral ontological issues. I do not have to show your claims faulty because they have no impact.
The Bible god is hardly associated with love and goodness in the minds of most humans past and present.

Of course criticizing your god's morality has an impact. It helps to change society. Due to forward thinking people turning away from your god's morality, we have wonderful things like democracy and civil and individual liberties. None of those things would exist if we lived under the moral precepts of the Bible.

No you can't. A fictional character in a novel is normally not the moral foundation of reality and the arbiter of all moral truth.
When that fictional character is an illogical concept like the Abrahamic "one god", it is. It's concepts we're discussing here, after all. I'm not sure why you act like some concepts are untouchable but they're only untouchable in your mind. I'm supposed to believe that we're not allowed to criticize the Bible god "just because". That's not a reason. I'll criticize him all I want. It's concepts, like I said.

t is not whether you are rational, insane, good, bad, indifferent or coherent. It is that your moral opinions have no relevance.
Of course they have relevance. They effect how I choose to live my life and treat other people. Everyone's moral choices add up to how society runs. That's because humans are the only ones creating morality. You get your morals from an ancient book written by men and use god as a moral arbiter by proxy. But your god's morals are really just your personal morals that you have projected onto your chosen deity.

It is an infinitely greater disparity than an ant questioning Newton about calculus. You completely lack a standard by which God is bound because it does not and cannot exist and God remain God. God is the highest court possible and if he is God his judgments have no judge and even if they did we would not be it. We can only accept or reject we cannot approve or condemn, there is no sufficient frame or reference to allow it.
Yes, we know that you think your god is an unquestionable tyrant who can use and abuse his creations at will and we can't do anything about it. How sad. But I don't agree so I'll judge your god and punish him at will. :)

I do not think you are getting this so let me give an example.

If God said it is right and good to destroy all life in the universe on what basis can Frankenstein PROVE he was wrong? Keep in mind I am not suggesting he would. In fact he created all life and has saved all human lives if they are willing to accept it. I created a hyperbolic absurdity to illustrate the complete impotence you have to allow condemnation of God on any basis. Good luck, I can't make it any easier.
What do you mean "prove"? It's like asking me to "prove" that it's wrong to beat a baby to death or to torture an animal to death.Do you have to "prove" that you shouldn't be killed to a murderer who is trying to take your life. I don't want to be killed or destroyed so it is a violation of my will to do such to me.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Before I respond more indepth, do you think it is possible for a human to not sin, to not make any mistakes?
That is a hard one to answer. I believe we have the capacity to not sin but will inevitably do so anyway. We could, we won't.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yes, I know you've repeated it over and over but it ignores the Euthyphro dilemma (which I know you think is a settled matter) and regardless of whether or not god's moral nature is actually right, he's still supposedly vastly more mighty than us little peons on earth and thus can still do whatever "he" pleases and there really isn't much we could do about it. I've seen you admit to that before as well.
That is not even a technical essential to the dilemma. The dilemma does not really talk to his power. It talks to his choosing from among a separate standard or the standard becoming actualized by his choice. Has virtually nothing to do with power. I also do not think the dilemma much of a dilemma. I was just looking into it day before yesterday and I did not see a position that accurately reflects the Bible.

I guess in the same way an infant processes thoughts internally without language.
That was not an answer. You have no idea how they would do that. There is no argument that they do so, the question was by what process of format. Linking it to another unknown is not any help. I do not think it is knowable but is curious.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Go ahead and ignore it. I will just take that as you admitting that you have nothing to say.
What the heck? I commented on it in some detail, what does ignore have to do with anything?

Obviously. You don't have any, anyway.
I am starting to lose any hope you can sincerely and objectively consider anything. My position required no evidence and you have no access to the evidence I have for claims I did not make. Come off it.

No, there isn't. Lol.
Two of if not the two greatest experts in testimony and evidence in human history suggest the exact opposite and there are hundreds of millions of experiential testimonies alone.

Religious writings by cults written many decades after the alleged "fact" aren't history. Later historians possibly referencing said cult writings does not count as historical evidence.
No cults were mentioned. Is there going to be a rational discussion at some point or is the declarative propaganda all that is available?

Only if you ignore all the rewrites, edits, unknown authors and other silliness that took place over the centuries. You have very low standards.
That is including them all, even using Ehrman's numbers the claim stands. Unlike just about any other similar text we can know and indicate virtually every error that occurred and even list it's history. So even the tiny less than 5% errors are of no consequence. I have standards so high they exclude every other source except the bible. Nu-uh is not an argument.

Of course you can't present what doesn't exist.
What part of the argument needing to evidence is not getting through?

No such thing.
Then the apprehension of an objective moral realm by virtually every human who has ever lived (unless a psychopath) is certainly misleading. I am sure glad you have provided so much evidence to straighten it out.

Nope. It would still be the morality of a subjective being.
No it would not.

We can't even talk about evidence when your "logic" is failing right out of the gate.
You are really going to have to pick this up. There are not even any arguments here. There is simply one assertion after another with no hint or rationality or evidence. You cannot assert reality into being. No it isn't is not much of a position unless your in a Monty Python movie.

The Bible is only "authoritative" to the religions that are based on it, but to no one else.
No other book in human history is more associated with theological truth. That is why so many false religions desperately link themselves to it by any means necessary. Gaining credibility by association is their only choice.

You obviously know nothing about Satanism in general or my beliefs specifically.
Every single Satanist I meet has a mutually exclusive and completely independent world view. Apparently now even the person of Satan is out. What the heck is left?

Satan isn't a rule or law-giving deity. Rules and moral codes are man-made.
Then theistic Satanism is an incoherent concept.

No reason to believe that an "optimal being" exists.
Well then the majority of humans who have ever lived have sure wasted a lot of time. Is there any intuitive belief so universal you will not rule it out without justification of any kind?

Don't have to be a Satanist to find the morality of the Bible god to be atrocious. That's simple criticism and has nothing to do with the validity of the claims in the book.
However you do have to have a potential standard capable of binding God and you do not. Well that second sentence is the first glimmer of hope I have seen so far. That is a true and rational statement but what role do complaints have in a debate. I hate green beans. Did I win?

If we're flawed, then your god is all the moreso.
What? It was not created flawed. It was created with freewill and chose to be flawed. Is God evil for granting choice? I would really hate to live in what you consider good if so.

There is no "moral author of the universe". The only place morality exists is in our minds. I have a mind. I'm assuming your god is a thinking being. So I can easily judge him.
That was one huge claim to knowledge. So you have one huge burden of proof. Good luck.

Continued below:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yes, genocide, slavery, rape, religious exclusivity, eternal torture, unnecessary guilt and shame hatred of yourself for being a human are all extremely offensive to my moral sensitivities. I'm far more moral than your god is.
I cannot even begin to have enough space to pick apar the layer upon layer of assumption and color commentary necessary to construct a claim so flawed in a post. That much wrong would require a several volume work.

All humans have the right to criticize whatever we please. We have interests as individuals and as a species.
Criticisms have no logical role in a debate. What does what you do not like prove? God is not up for election and is not courting the Satanist vote. Interests are not of interest here. Evidence, history, best fits, philosophic consistency, and rationality are.

Yes, I've listened to the bumbling arguments of people like Craig.
Your considering truths so obvious they have existed from the Greeks until you ran across them watching Craig as bumbling explains why so little of the necessary background information is posted by you. Can you construct reason based arguments instead of assertion based declarations. Assertions and complaints are not really debate oriented. They should be used to scream at cars on the highway not resolve issues.

The Bible god is hardly associated with love and goodness in the minds of most humans past and present.
No offense but I cannot justify spending this much time on assertions and especially assertions so devoid of justification. There exists no being or text more associated with compassion, love, and goodness in human history. There does not exist much future in my saying feel how hot he sun is and you declaring it is freezing instead. I will simply label these things as unjustifiable and move on. I did not say what you denied anyway.

Due to forward thinking people turning away from your god's morality, we have wonderful things like democracy and civil and individual liberties.
In the secular form it has destroyed society. I have a feeling what you think as progress is not progressive so I do not think common ground is available. Just as a microcosmic example this nation when at it's height of power and benevolence had a strong Christian tradition. The moment we turned to secularism and betrayed Israel it began coming apart at the seems. I have provided hundreds and linked to thousands of statistics that show in virtually every moral category secularism has changed society and for the extreme worse. The great atheist utopias have either collapsed in ruin or are nightmarish misery. I do not think the Satanists have ever gotten it together enough to be specifically responsible for any political organization. It is the Christian west that is still first on the scene in international tragedy not Islam, not Satanist groups, and not the great atheist utopias.

When that fictional character is an illogical concept like the Abrahamic "one god", it is. It's concepts we're discussing here, after all. I'm not sure why you act like some concepts are untouchable but they're only untouchable in your mind. I'm supposed to believe that we're not allowed to criticize the Bible god "just because". That's not a reason. I'll criticize him all I want. It's concepts, like I said.
Unjustifiable assertion.

Of course they have relevance. They effect how I choose to live my life and treat other people. Everyone's moral choices add up to how society runs. That's because humans are the only ones creating morality. You get your morals from an ancient book written by men and use god as a moral arbiter by proxy. But your god's morals are really just your personal morals that you have projected onto your chosen deity.
The issue is not how you live your life. I am talking about ontology not what you do on you weekends. I get my morals from a God given conscience not any book.

Yes, we know that you think your god is an unquestionable tyrant who can use and abuse his creations at will and we can't do anything about it. How sad. But I don't agree so I'll judge your god and punish him at will. :)
What I think is not relevant. What is necessarily true of God if he exists is. I see why personal criticism is so important to you. It is the basis for your argumentation. What I said is perfectly justified by philosophy whether you complain about it or not. The arrogance necessary for that paragraph is unfathomable.

What do you mean "prove"? It's like asking me to "prove" that it's wrong to beat a baby to death or to torture an animal to death.Do you have to "prove" that you shouldn't be killed to a murderer who is trying to take your life. I don't want to be killed or destroyed so it is a violation of my will to do such to me.
Proof is evidence of objective fact or theoretical foundations. I guess your answer was no. If anything in history does not deserve to be trusted as the arbiter of moral truth it is man's opinion. Without an objective criteria your opinion is no more valid or justifiable than Hitler's and there for of no more value. My nor your opinion is not a national basis for societal moral needs and thank God it has not been the traditional foundation for them. When leaders must justify killing thousands to stop a Hitler, a jury needs justification to order the death of a man, or even the non-Christian Jefferson needed a source for rights it was not your opinion that was referred to. It was objective moral truth.

johnhanks

The moment we turned to secularism and betrayed Israel it began coming apart at the seems ... It is the Christian west that is still first on the scene in international tragedy not Islam, not Satanist groups, and not the great atheist utopias.
Can you not see a contradiction here? Have "we" turned to secularism and betrayed Israel, or are "we" still the Christian west that is first on the scene in international tragedy? You can't have it both ways: if your first statement above is correct, it has to be the secular west that is first on the scene in international tragedy.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
That is a hard one to answer. I believe we have the capacity to not sin but will inevitably do so anyway. We could, we won't.
If it is inevitable, then that makes it impossible for us to do otherwise. That's what "inevitable" means.

Your answer indicates that you want, or need, both answers to be true: You need a sinless life to be possible, but you also realize that it is not.

At what point do these conflicting stances demonstrate that there is something wrong with your narrative?

I think the answer is quite easy: No. It is not possible for a human to live a perfect life, free of sin or mistakes. That's because we are humans. We are not perfect, nor do we live in a perfect world. Making poor decisions is part of our whole learning process, part of our environmental (or genetic) conditioning or conditions, and, as you say, an inevitable part of human life.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If it is inevitable, then that makes it impossible for us to do otherwise. That's what "inevitable" means.
That might be true so let me term it another way. History shows we have always failed and I deduce that we always will even though it is not a necessity we must. Is that better. I knew exactly the trap you were baiting and why. I tried to word my response carefully but I admit the possibility your semantic technicality may have been valid but not relevant.

Your answer indicates that you want, or need, both answers to be true: You need a sinless life to be possible, but you also realize that it is not.
It was a tough question. It reminds me of the idea that knowing the future determines it. I will try and show IMO the fault with that to clarify this. If I can know you will choose to blow up the pentagon my knowing it did not force it to occur.

At what point do these conflicting stances demonstrate that there is something wrong with your narrative?
As soon as you can demonstrate that. You have only so far demonstrated my initial attempt may not have been perfect.

I think the answer is quite easy: No. It is not possible for a human to live a perfect life, free of sin or mistakes. That's because we are humans. We are not perfect, nor do we live in a perfect world. Making poor decisions is part of our whole learning process, part of our environmental (or genetic) conditioning or conditions, and, as you say, an inevitable part of human life.
Lets' pretend we know that for a minute. Does the fact our rebellion dictate we rebel fault God somehow? I know exactly what corner your trying so hard to paint me or God in so let's just cut to the chase.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I am going back to reply to your responses to me that I didn’t get to. Some of these points have been covered by other posters, so I will attempt to avoid needless repetition, and only focus on things that I don’t think have been fully addressed.
The point is none of those are true unless God exists. Hurting people may be socially unfashionable but only with God is it actually wrong. Hitler actually thought (using the exact methods any atheist would employ) that he was helping mankind by hurting a certain group. As Dawkins so honestly put it without an objective standard no one can say he was actually wrong.
An objective criteria is not necessary to be able to claim that something is “actually” wrong.

Assume for a moment that morality has been developed solely by humans. What is right and what is wrong, therefore, is determined by humans. If humans claim that something is wrong, then it is “actually” wrong. Other people or societies may disagree with them, of course, but that does not negate the fact that, to the people making the proclamation, such a thing truly is wrong.

On a side note, do you really think that, if God was shown not to exist, you would feel that murder was okay? Would not the feeling of “wrongness” in regards to murder still remain?
So you have redefined morality as equal to the least suffering.
No, not quite. As johnhanks noted, I was providing a reason for how morality came about—basically, why it (likely) developed in humans.

Specific moral codes will change, but the general reason why a society develops morality (or a moral code) stays the same.

Note also that moral laws tended to only protect those belonging to the “group”. Those people outside of the group generally were not protected by moral laws. Note also that “making society run smoothly”, which was one of my reasons given for the development of morality, does not necessarily equate to “least suffering”.
I did not ask you to remove future Bundy's. I asked you to find a flaw in his reasoning if God does not exist.
The flaw in his reasoning is that his particular brand of amorality will remain in the minority, and thus, his antiosocial behavior will lead to ostracization and punishment.

The flaw in your reasoning is assuming that anything changes with the existence of God. God saying “murder is wrong” doesn’t make it feel any more wrong than it already does, nor will it convince those who feel that murder is fine to rethink things.
It is a clear and present horror. If we can consider the murder of human lives in the womb based on convenience by the hundreds of millions not something to be alarmed about then we are truly morally insane. There is a huge difference, one is based on fact and the other on preference and opinion. Try and re-write all natural laws based on guesswork and see ho many space shuttles you can make work.
The purpose of morality, as I see it, is to make interactions among humans less risky, more productive, and ultimately easier. Unlike space shuttles, preference and opinion (and innate nature) have seemed to work in the building of societies.

I do not see how making “murder is wrong” an objective fact makes murder any more or less likely to occur.
Hence, there is no real difference in result between divine command theory and moral relativism.
If you cannot see the necessity for what I requested I do not think elaboration will help.
For context, I asked “Why not?” in response to your claim that we could not say that something is morally wrong, if God does not provide morality.

While I think that morality is more than *just* opinion, think of it this way: I can claim that something is beautiful, even if, as most agree, there is no objective standard of beauty. And it will be true: That thing is beautiful (to me).

The difference with morality is that it is relatively standard across a particular culture, with some things even being generally standard across humanity. It’s less likely that something I consider to be morally wrong will only apply to me, personally. It is likely an objective fact based upon my society’s subjective determination.
Falvlun said:
If God gave us the ability to discern right from wrong, then surely it is valid to use this sense to determine whether something is right or wrong. I see no reason why God's actions should be exempt.
However this reasonable method would go horribly wrong if there were no God to give us this sense would it not? You cannot deny God but utilize what he provides.
You believe that God has given us a sense of morality. My point is that we should then be able to trust that morality in determining whether something is moral or not—assuming your narrative is true.

Here someone else made this point, and your reply:
Wait a minute though ... haven't you said that your god wrote his absolute morality on our hearts or something along those lines? So if we've all got the same morality written into our makeup, how it is that morality differs among individuals and cultures as well as over time?
I also must have said a thousand times we have made a career of ignoring what our conscience dictates. We can even as the bible says seer our consciences to a level we no longer hear anything from them.
I just wanted to point out that I am doing the exact opposite of ignoring my conscience: My conscience dictates that everyone should have an equal chance at salvation, that children should not be punished for the crimes of their ancestors, and that justice is not served by killing an innocent person. These are reasons that led to my rejection of the Christian narrative (rather than the other way around: I did not reject Christianity and then come to these conclusions.)
You bet. You seem like a respectful but committed debater.
Thank you! As do you! I know it’s often hard when two people are on such opposite spectrums, but so far, this has been enjoyable.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Morality has differed very little as far as general principles go. Chesterton said men do not have a problem agreeing what is wrong, they just disagree about what wrongs to excuse. Since the two primary themes in the Bible are we know what is right, yet we do not always choose it reality as usually reflects this accurately. Very few cultures have ever legalized murder, they just differ on which killings they will consider murder. All of us agree in principle yet the evil take advantage of real or invented ambiguity in apprehension.
This is also consistent with the idea that morality developed in order to facilitate the functioning of society. It makes sense that many general principles would universally be found to work. It also makes sense that regional differences would tweak these general principles to better serve a culture’s predilection, traditions, or requirements.
When I mean morality, as almost everyone does, I mean objective moral truths. With God they exist, and without him as Ruse said "they are illusions".
This was in response to johnhanks, but I found this interesting.
I agree that most people do believe that their morality is the “objective moral truth”. Not everyone can be right, of course, which means that the objectivity of their moral truth is in fact an illusion.
The illusion of objectivity is likely helpful in perpetuating a particular morality, hence the reason why we have it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I am going back to reply to your responses to me that I didn’t get to. Some of these points have been covered by other posters, so I will attempt to avoid needless repetition, and only focus on things that I don’t think have been fully addressed.

An objective criteria is not necessary to be able to claim that something is “actually” wrong.
I emphatically insist that concerning morality it in fact is, but will give the opportunity of proving me wrong. That unless you are only trying to say what may be claimed instead of what is true. In that case I agree but it was never the point nor relevant.

Prove killing every form of life in existence is actually objectively wrong? Good luck, so far no one has even gotten close.

Assume for a moment that morality has been developed solely by humans. What is right and what is wrong, therefore, is determined by humans. If humans claim that something is wrong, then it is “actually” wrong. Other people or societies may disagree with them, of course, but that does not negate the fact that, to the people making the proclamation, such a thing truly is wrong.
That is not true even assuming that. Humans are completely incapable of creating objective moral rights and wrongs. The terms no longer even have any real meaning. They are terms used to indicate categories of objective facts that no longer are possible without God. Humans can only determine what is acceptable to them or not and that has no relationship to what is actually true. We can all agree that Pluto does not exist yet it will have no effect on it's existence whatever.

On a side note, do you really think that, if God was shown not to exist, you would feel that murder was okay? Would not the feeling of “wrongness” in regards to murder still remain?
That si a false dichotomy. Saying there exists no standard to condemn a thing does not indicate it is there for right. As I said the terms no longer have any meaning. We can only in this case determine what is acceptable or legal or not, we can no longer judge anything objectively right or wrong.

No, not quite. As johnhanks noted, I was providing a reason for how morality came about—basically, why it (likely) developed in humans.
That is a guess at how ethics might have developed not moral truths.

Specific moral codes will change, but the general reason why a society develops morality (or a moral code) stays the same.
That is a loaded assumption that I do not see the relevance of.

Note also that moral laws tended to only protect those belonging to the “group”. Those people outside of the group generally were not protected by moral laws. Note also that “making society run smoothly”, which was one of my reasons given for the development of morality, does not necessarily equate to “least suffering”.
Now this is legality or rights not morality. Morality is constantly used to condemn or approve of people in all groups all through history. There seems to be no end or agreement to what without God is said to found morality which is evidence of the problem. You mentioned least suffering above, yet instead bring an extremely ambiguous running smoothly term in here (which Sparta, Nazi Germany, and Rome all did and were miserable and unjust societies much of the time), others claim it is human flourishing, others still survival, etc... which is it and why?

The flaw in his reasoning is that his particular brand of amorality will remain in the minority, and thus, his antiosocial behavior will lead to ostracization and punishment.
How in the world can you know that? 100 years ago would anyone have believed the industrial murder of millions of human lives in the womb, systematic slaughter of an entire race, or a leader who killed 20 million of his own people would have been any different that what you say above. The flaw in your reasoning is you can't know what you claimed and history shows it wrong before hand. Every extreme brutal ethical nightmare has ran rampant at one time or another. Is it even acceptable if it was a minority occurrence if you must betray a world view to even condemn it? Is a concept that only produces a few Bundies acceptable?

The flaw in your reasoning is assuming that anything changes with the existence of God. God saying “murder is wrong” doesn’t make it feel any more wrong than it already does, nor will it convince those who feel that murder is fine to rethink things.
What does feel have to do with it? BTW his existence would in fact guarantee it would feel wrong. I will give you a few interesting stories that are indicative of this.

The born series is based on a real medical issue. At times a human can be forced to commit acts that so offend even his subconscious that it will invent and entire separate personality and erase or subdue the persons original identity. This strongly indicates your claim is not true.

My favorite philosopher asked an atheistic moralist how he knew right from wrong. In spite of your claim he said "by feelings, what else". Ravi said some cultures love their neighbors based on feelings and some eat them, did he have a preference?

Feelings are not dismissible and are in fact always associated with morality and the lack of is defined as psychopathy, but are not the issue here.

The purpose of morality, as I see it, is to make interactions among humans less risky, more productive, and ultimately easier. Unlike space shuttles, preference and opinion (and innate nature) have seemed to work in the building of societies.
If God does not exist and ethics do they are results and do not have purposes. Only minds have purposes or intent. The ability to arbitrarily redefine morality does not counter any of my claims. It is fact is evidence of the problems I mention, it is the problem.

I do not see how making “murder is wrong” an objective fact makes murder any more or less likely to occur.
Hence, there is no real difference in result between divine command theory and moral relativism.
You keep changing the subject and with IMO very inaccurate claims. Honestly answer this please.

Is the ending od the current functionality of a biological anomaly more likely to stop a murder or is the idea that it has inherent value, was created by an omnipotent being, is a unique a special being with a soul and actual rights, and that that you cannot escape absolute accountability more likely to stop the act? Be honest with your self here?

There is a reason why the largest genocides are from atheistic utopias or from theologies that intentionally devalue life. As Dostoevsky said If God is not all things are permissible objectively.

For context, I asked “Why not?” in response to your claim that we could not say that something is morally wrong, if God does not provide morality.
This was a misunderstanding I would never have guessed could have occurred. The issue is not what a human can claim but what he can claim that is true.

While I think that morality is more than *just* opinion, think of it this way: I can claim that something is beautiful, even if, as most agree, there is no objective standard of beauty. And it will be true: That thing is beautiful (to me).
Your explanation is evidence of the problem. 6 billion moral truths that are equally valid because no objective criteria to separate them exists cannot possibly produce justice or moral sanity. It only wrecks beyond hope moral foundations.

The difference with morality is that it is relatively standard across a particular culture, with some things even being generally standard across humanity. It’s less likely that something I consider to be morally wrong will only apply to me, personally. It is likely an objective fact based upon my society’s subjective determination.
A subjective determination cannot produce an objective truth. That is a self contradictory idea.

You believe that God has given us a sense of morality. My point is that we should then be able to trust that morality in determining whether something is moral or not—assuming your narrative is true.
Your leaving the part of the narrative out that even having as history shows a common moral core we are constantly betraying it. What we have is exactly what the bible predicts and alone comprehensively explains.

Here someone else made this point, and your reply:

I just wanted to point out that I am doing the exact opposite of ignoring my conscience: My conscience dictates that everyone should have an equal chance at salvation, that children should not be punished for the crimes of their ancestors, and that justice is not served by killing an innocent person. These are reasons that led to my rejection of the Christian narrative (rather than the other way around: I did not reject Christianity and then come to these conclusions.)
There is no reason t think we have a conscience and even if we did that we should trust it unless God exists to begin with. Molecules nor groups of them result in consciences. Natural law which is all that is left without God is morally impotent and cannot possibly ever indicate what should be. This claim is an attempt to crawl in God's lap in order to slap his face.

Thank you! As do you! I know it’s often hard when two people are on such opposite spectrums, but so far, this has been enjoyable.
Agreed. Do not take my condemnation of ideas, claims, or even your position as a condemnation of you. I know they are hard to separate at times.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This is also consistent with the idea that morality developed in order to facilitate the functioning of society. It makes sense that many general principles would universally be found to work. It also makes sense that regional differences would tweak these general principles to better serve a culture’s predilection, traditions, or requirements.
I guess I can agree here but do not take consistency as evidence. I do not agree that are progressing morally. For the first time we have enough weapons aimed at each other to end all known life and the moral insanity to almost have done so twice. We now kill millions of the most innocent of human lives on the womb and deny the same action concerning convicted murderers. We demand 96% of us who do not practice a sexual act tolerate 4% of us who do even if that 4% produces 60% of Us aids cases and even demand the 96% pay for it. Since secularism took hold in the 60's virtually every single moral statistic in the US has worsened drastically. A few on the order of thousands of percent's over and many at a few hundred. If almost all data is telling us we are far less moral than we were when Christianity held power here the only thing worse is to call that good. If you want to see that in an undeniable microcosm simply compare a 1955 weakly TV program list with a 200? weakly list. It is disgusting and depressing.

This was in response to johnhanks, but I found this interesting.
I agree that most people do believe that their morality is the “objective moral truth”. Not everyone can be right, of course, which means that the objectivity of their moral truth is in fact an illusion.
The illusion of objectivity is likely helpful in perpetuating a particular morality, hence the reason why we have it.
What illusion? That is a huge assumption. The fact we almost all perceive an objective moral realm even if we do not agree what it is powerful evidence it exists. It is the same concept as two reporters claiming one team won and the other that the opposite team lost strongly indicates that at least a game occurred.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That is not even a technical essential to the dilemma. The dilemma does not really talk to his power. It talks to his choosing from among a separate standard or the standard becoming actualized by his choice. Has virtually nothing to do with power. I also do not think the dilemma much of a dilemma. I was just looking into it day before yesterday and I did not see a position that accurately reflects the Bible.
So either way then, might makes right. It does actually have to do with power. How could it not?

Perhaps you just didn't see a position that accurately reflects your interpretation of the Bible.
That was not an answer. You have no idea how they would do that. There is no argument that they do so, the question was by what process of format. Linking it to another unknown is not any help. I do not think it is knowable but is curious.
This is actually something that I've thought about for many years and it's a good question.

We know that infants and other animals have cognitive abilities, and they obviously carry them out without having to internalize their thought processes using language. Humans and other animals use their senses, their experiences and a variety of built-in mechanisms (like circadian rhthyms, for example) to process internal and external stimuli.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So either way then, might makes right. It does actually have to do with power. How could it not?
I have answered this a dozen times. If what I said made no difference before why would it now and why would you ask for it. Your comments on this issue are taking on a rhetorical tone. It would not because power has no associating with existence. It is like saying how could gravity not be what determines your favorite color. They simply have no association. IMO it is not a coherent idea and I have no idea why it would even be thought up.

Perhaps you just didn't see a position that accurately reflects your interpretation of the Bible.
You above anyone else require me to explain more of what I considered so obvious it was not required. It almost seems rhetorical. Of course my understanding is what I would evaluate claims based on.

This is actually something that I've thought about for many years and it's a good question.
It just occurred to me the other day and I am now obsessed with it.

We know that infants and other animals have cognitive abilities, and they obviously carry them out without having to internalize their thought processes using language. Humans and other animals use their senses, their experiences and a variety of built-in mechanisms (like circadian rhthyms, for example) to process internal and external stimuli.
I agree 100% they are thinking. I also can't imagine what format that it occurs in. I was thinking last night that some of our unconscious thoughts like breathing do not come in a format so maybe a format is a convenience, not a necessity.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I have answered this a dozen times. If what I said made no difference before why would it now and why would you ask for it. Your comments on this issue are taking on a rhetorical tone. It would not because power has no associating with existence. It is like saying how could gravity not be what determines your favorite color. They simply have no association. IMO it is not a coherent idea and I have no idea why it would even be thought up.
You keep saying that without an absolute moral law giver, there can be no moral truths. What you're essentially saying is we need the mightiest of the mighties to tell us how to behave - that we are incapable of detecting right from wrong without some absolute authority figure dictating it to us (or writing it on our hearts).

It just occurred to me the other day and I am now obsessed with it.

I agree 100% they are thinking. I also can't imagine what format that it occurs in. I was thinking last night that some of our unconscious thoughts like breathing do not come in a format so maybe a format is a convenience, not a necessity.

Good point.

I wish I could remember what it was like being a baby.

I can prove that morality is subjective.

First, most civilizations during or predating Yahweh monotheism, held in place laws and practices of what we call morally sound today. Monogamy ( for the non-elite), laws prohibiting theft, adultery and murder ect. Those things are not morals and more defined as ethics or a species instinct. This is done to maintain a cohesive society not because of any given religious principles.

Secondly and most importantly to disprove objective morality and also evil being a subjective matter is this; Hitler.

I find it very comical that every time a discussion about evil is brought up, Hitler and Nazism are thrown in as the top bar of evil's comparison. Hitler attempted to genocide the Jewish people and was instrumental in significant death and suffering during WII. The irony is that the people he attempted to exterminate, The Jews, were one of the first peoples to engage in genocide themselves! All of which is well-documented in the Old Testament, PART OF THE BIBLE! Not only that, they were ordered and aided in these atrocities by a deity, Yahweh... whom people still worship to this day!!! So you have Christians, Jews and Muslims worshiping a deity that engages in genocide...glory to god, praise god....and then yet, oh Hitler what a naughty man he was, for doing the exact same thing.

Same actions, same behaviors, same mindsets and yet opposite opinions, one was glorious the other evil.

1Robin wrote:
That is not the expectation. God never expects anyone to be perfect.
Really? Leviticus 21:16 (starts at 21:1 but fast forwarded for thread space) Rules for priests

16 The Lord said to Moses, 17 “Say to Aaron: ‘For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God. 18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed; 19 no man with a crippled foot or hand, 20 or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. 21 No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the Lord. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God. 22 He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; 23 yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the Lord, who makes them holy.’”
24 So Moses told this to Aaron and his sons and to all the Israelites.

"Ok Mr. Fienberg, thanks for applying at the priesthood, before we ordain you, can you please remove your loincloth and hold up your shaft? We need to take a good look at that sack of yours..."

Last edited: