• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Religion Exist

Why does religion exist

• 1-Superstition

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • 2-Tool of control

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • 3-To convey valuable life lessons

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • 4-Profound truth

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 5-Other

Votes: 30 68.2%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Here are a few reasons you may or may not agree with.

1-Religion is a holdover of superstition from a time with limited scientific knowledge that we have since grow out of so it no longer has any value in our lives.

2-Religion is a tool is a tool that was and can be used to control the masses.

3-Religion contains valuable lessons like fables to aid people in their journey through life.

4-Religion is a profound truth that if understood leads one to a correct understanding of reality/the universe.

5-Other. A different reason for why religion exists which doesn't fit into any of the above. Please explain.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

1-Religion is a holdover of superstition from a time with limited scientific knowledge that we have since grow out of so it no longer has any value in our lives.

3-Religion contains valuable lessons like fables to aid people in their journey through life.

4-Religion is a profound truth that if understood leads one to a correct understanding of reality/the universe.

5-Other. A different reason for why religion exists which doesn't fit into any of the above. Please explain.

I'd agree with 1,2 and 3.

4, it depends on your interpretation of the word truth. If it's "the quality of being true in accordance with fact or reality" then no.
If it's "what i believe to be true" then believe whatever you want.

I think 5 is covered by 1, 2, 3

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Since science is limited to observation, physical evidence, and calculation from that, it is limited itself as to what can be known of existence.

People love to be philosophical about phenomena such as consciousness and try to see how far a priori reasoning can take them. There are so many qualitative aspects to consciousness that don't have physical referents, and humanity lives in this qualitative world, so religion in general is a natural response to try to understand this world.

Granted some religions are just tribal and manipulative, but that's not religion on the whole.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

IMO:

Partly 1 and 2, but also:

- ritual is useful. It's a way of signifying and acknowledging what's important to us.

- the tribalism of religion can also be useful, since establishing a trusted, reliable in-group can be beneficial to those in the in-group most of the time... even if it's to the detriment of the out-group, and even if maintaining membership in the in-group has associated costs.

- we have an overactive tendency to attribute agency around us.

Mix all that together and we get tribalistic groups with rituals involving unseen agents that probably aren't actually there... i.e. most religion.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I voted for 1, 2, 3 and 4

Religion is a very complex thing

For instance it does convey truths whilst also being superstitious

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know......

Can a superstition contain truths?

I think yes, for instance mythology
Kinda sorta.

I mean, foundational myths are generally about communicating ideas like "you are important" or "what you do has purpose" or "our rituals are significant", all of which are true even if there's nothing factually correct in the myth.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Religions exist because they are the natural outcome of human existence; we are built for transcendental experience.

"in every soul [the idea of the divine] has been imprinted by nature herself". - Cicero