• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't YouTube moderate there comment section on videos ?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure they don't. They likely rely on a similar system we have here. We don't have the ability or manpower to read every post, so they reply on those reading them to report them and then moderate them accordingly.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I want YouTube to start banning hate speech but they do nothing utterly disappointing.
Just to give you a little perspective...

In 2022, more then 500 hours of video were uploaded to youtube per minute.
YouTube comment section easily has 1000s of comments per video for video's of below average popularity.

Google would literally require millions of people to watch all those videos. So just imagine how many they would need to go through all comments.

It is simply not feasible.

Even if they would have algorithms running that scan comments for certain words or alike, they still would require an absurd amount of people to go through the "flagged" comments also. And the false positives would be through the roof.

Due to the sheer volume of these platforms, proper moderation is simply not possible.

Massimo2002

Just to give you a little perspective...

In 2022, more then 500 hours of video were uploaded to youtube per minute.
YouTube comment section easily has 1000s of comments per video for video's of below average popularity.

Google would literally require millions of people to watch all those videos. So just imagine how many they would need to go through all comments.

It is simply not feasible.

Even if they would have algorithms running that scan comments for certain words or alike, they still would require an absurd amount of people to go through the "flagged" comments also. And the false positives would be through the roof.

Due to the sheer volume of these platforms, proper moderation is simply not possible.
So when there are more people control becomes difficult if not impossible is that what you are saying ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I want YouTube to start banning hate speech but they do nothing utterly disappointing.
Why? Just so they have their own views and allows no one else's that dont agree with theirs?

I don't care for 'hate' or hate speech either , but it also serves as a canary in the mines that tells you weither a site is actually free and impartial between one that censors and controls what people can say and cannot say according to its owners.

Massimo2002

Why? Just so they have their own views and allows no one else's that dont agree with theirs?

I don't care for 'hate' or hate speech either , but it also serves as a canary in the mines that tells you weither a site is actually free and impartial between one that censors and controls what people can say and cannot say according to its owners.
I don't see a problem.

Massimo2002

It is what it is.

Imagine having to moderate a forum with 2.7 billion active users. Actual numbers from 2024.

I think you don't really realize the sheer volume of this platform.
Your right I just can't wrap my head around such a large number might as well be infinitely to me but still can't they get machines to just control and dehumaize all those people ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do believe that makers can moderate their own videos. I have seen strong evidence of this. There are videos where the poster has built a perpetual energy device and yet there are no negative comments about how it is probably a scam.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Your right I just can't wrap my head around such a large number might as well be infinitely to me but still can't they get machines to just control and dehumaize all those people ?
There are algoritms that scan for certain things but such methods aren't foolproof and they easily trigger false positives.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They sure do impose a whole bunch of restrictions
on videos. How do you know that comments aren't
moderated at all? Could it be that it's just not the
level you want? Or that some aren't yet handled?