• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't many people care that I'm lonely ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why many people don't care is because they don't know.

To change it i think you need to adopt a more gregarious outlook. Look up old school friends and see if they want to meet up. You've had plenty of other advice from RFers who actually do care.

Massimo2002

Well some might remember your recent post about people not caring about your "depression". There was lots of feedback and support there. I don't remember you bothering to reply to anyone though.

Do you think there could be a connection?
I think that I should have responded more to that thread. But I think that this is a little different.

RestlessSoul

It’s certainly not hopeless. But if you are feeling depressed, I’d suggest getting active, and if you are feeling lonely, I’d suggest reaching out to someone in your community who may need your help in some way.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
And is it possible to change this somehow or is it hopeless ?
One has to be proactive in this. What have you done so far to get out of this? And have you turned down/neglected opportunities that could have possibly taken you further from this? The first step of getting out of loneliness requires some amount of socializing.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Take up a hobby. Preferably some kind of social sport, like tennis or pickleball.
I was out of the game a loooong time (since childhood actually) and recently started playing again.

I had a very poor social life... taking up tennis again really enriched my mental and social life tremendously.
I used to know close to nobody in the village I have been living in for 10-ish years.

In a matter of weeks, I got to know dozens of people at the club, many of which have progressed from "acquaintance" to "mate" by now.
I can literally go to the club any day of the week, and there will be some people there that I know and can have a drink with and perhaps play a little match.

So just putting myself out there in the club, without much effort on my part, I get to have good exercise, social contacts, new friends,...
Recently I enlisted in a tournament at another club. Met another 4-5 people there and now I also hook up with one of the adversaries I had every other week or so for little tennis session.

I must admit that I was very surprised to find out how easy it turns out to be to make new friends and get to know new people when can do it on the back of a hobby like that. It is much different then simply going to a bar and having nothing to talk about.

At such a club, you instantly have something in common with literally everybody there: the sport. Plus, you get some exercise, which is always good.

I can honestly recommend it to anybody who seeks more social contact and who doesn't mind getting in some exercise in the process..

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
What would you want other people to say and/or do to show that they care that you are lonely? In that regard, you are not the only person in the world, not the only person in Edmonton, who is lonely. How can you tell who is lonely and, importantly, how do,you show that you care?