• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't other people care that I'm depressed ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I went outside and everyone ignored me like as if I wasn't there the cars drove by and the people did there things.
I really hate to break it to you but depressed people to others looks and comes across ss being really really pathetic. Besides, they got their own lives to live and they are certainly not going to get wound up over someone else's drama.

It's just the reality of it , and I can say it because I myself was one of those pathetic depressed people until I essentially looked at myself in the mirror one day and saw exactly what other people were seeing. Yuck!

So I got myself up on my own bootstraps and just moved forward with a little gumption and grit and initiated the healing process myself and decided feeling sorry for myself and hoping people swoon over me going "poor baby" and running away elsewhere isnt really going to solve anything or do anything for my situation.

So I keep my depression for myself and my self alone and got used to it because in reality the only one that can deal with your depression is you and certainly not somebody else because its a natural and normal part of who you are.

Easy to say hard to do , but it works. Power through it or bust my brutha!

danieldemol

Premium Member
I went outside and everyone ignored me like as if I wasn't there the cars drove by and the people did there things.
Who have you told that you are depressed in real life? I don't just randomly assume everyone outside is depressed and stop what I'm doing to try cheer everyone up. In a city of millions of people that would be very time consuming and unnecessary for most of them.

I agree with @Wandering Monk
The best person to interact with is a professional. I would start by asking my doctor for a referral.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

I think the right people care. In general, most people are either so wrapped up in routine or their own problems, they don't notice.

Also, aside from being sympathetic or empathetic, most people may not know how to respond, especially as strangers.

I care. I tend to be pretty empathetic. I am sorry you are depressed. :-(

Is there anything you are doing to alleviate the symptoms?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

People do tend to care about those that they are close to. It is hard to relate to a strangers concerns unless you have experienced something similar.

I will echo that if you are depressed, a professional is the best place to start. I wish I had gotten that help when I was in my teens/twenties. Not when I was 30.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As others have pointed out, people have lives to live and generally don't interact with others that much, especially in cities. They might in certain situations - bus-stop or on a bus/train - but mostly they probably have things on their mind so as not to bother. Given such, we often project as to what we think others are thinking or feeling about us - but where there might just be nothing at all - we are just another random individual.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Reverse those questions, @Massimo2002. Ask yourself: Do you notice when others are depressed? Do you care for them when you notice and if so, how?

If your answers are “no”, then you already know roughly why others have the same approach to you, yes?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Reverse those questions, @Massimo2002. Ask yourself: Do you notice when others are depressed? Do you care for them when you notice and if so, how?

If your answers are “no”, then you already know roughly why others have the same approach to you, yes?

I love this. Following the analogy in my own mind? Everyone's depressed?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Instead of doing what, exactly?

For instance, if you were depressed, perhaps you neglected to give them a smile or a nod?

Or perhaps worse, you being depressed felt entitled not to give them a smile or a nod?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Massimo2002 ,

My advice to you is to ignore the insensitive rubbish.

From my point of view, those people can't relate to what you're describing. Their mind is simply not operating like yours is. And because of that, their advice has very little value. In order to give good advice, they'll need to relate to your inner experiences. Some people are either too shallow, too arrogant, too detached, too simple minded, to approach your mindset.

It's a fact of life.

It's true in this thread, it's true when you're walking around in the world. Many, most (?), people are insensitive, they cannot relate for the reasons I listed above, and more. Ignore the insensitive rubbish. Find your tribe. People who care. People who can relate to you.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
@Massimo2002

Go to a doctor and get some antidepressants if you haven't already

I used to be very depressed but Prozac took the edge off and helped make life better

Are there any local volunteering opportunities where you are? I've found that being active and doing things is good for combating depression

For me it took my mind off myself somewhat

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is important to seek help if you are suffering from depression, @Massimo2002 . And it is very true that random people who just happen to be passing by and see you while on their way are not very likely to notice and react in some constructive way.

You deserve better. I ask you to do better. Be selective. Seek people who you have reason to expect to notice and help.

People with training and resources to help you properly, if at all possible.

It can get better.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@Massimo2002 -

Over the course of over 600 posts you have provided, in your own words, a portrait of yourself. It is apparent that you have issues that you cannot on your own, and should not have to on your own, resolve. Most of us, and here I include myself, are not competent to provide the help you need. Those of us who are cannot provide that help via forum.

The best advice you have been offered is that you seek out the services of a competent mental health professional. I urge you to do so.

I wish you the best.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Eddi,

Did you get help here on the forum which was unique and not accessible via conventional psychiatric and credentialed medical interventions? Did I help you? In a way which was unique, patient, loving? We worked together. You had been asking for help on this forum for a long time.
**mod edit**

I didn't quit. I welcomed you. I cared about you. I was there for you then. I'm here for you now. I was patient. I helped you, didn't I? In a real substantive way?

Do you remember? I wrote a little computer program? And then we tested it, together?

Last edited by a moderator: