• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't some people like being Apes?

thehurticus

The Hurticus
Ah, and what is the common literal idea of Ape then, if I may ask? And why shouldn't we use it to define ourselfs?

non homo sapiens. I think most people us the term ape as a description for what is commonly referred to as monkey. I wouldn't call myself a monkey, therefore I wouldn't call myself an ape.I would however call my self a person, human or homo sapiens, which, when used in that context means wise or rational man. not naked ape.

thehurticus

The Hurticus
Yeah we are, apart from superficial things like longer legs, shorter arms, bigger brains and less hair we're the same in every way. Technically we're Hominids, but that's just a name for a subgroup of apes.

you left a few things out. The use of complex tools and multiple forms of communication. Greater ability to calculate and multiple perspective thinking, which if you ask me are kind of big differences.

Baydwin

you left a few things out. The use of complex tools and multiple forms of communication. Greater ability to calculate and multiple perspective thinking, which if you ask me are kind of big differences.
Not when it comes to phylogenetics.

Baydwin

non homo sapiens. I think most people us the term ape as a description for what is commonly referred to as monkey. I wouldn't call myself a monkey, therefore I wouldn't call myself an ape.I would however call my self a person, human or homo sapiens, which, when used in that context means wise or rational man. not naked ape.
Any monkey is more different to an orangutan than an orangutan is to a human.

Gabethewiking

i'm not arguing that, I'm just clarifying my definition in the previous post and giving my reasoning for describing myself as a person versus and ape.

But isn't the truth that you want to make yourself special even when you are not?

The truth is that you are as any other animal, that you want to define yourself specifically different shows that you are arrogant and, possible, ignorant of what you truly are.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member

An ape isn't a monkey. A monkey is defined as any kind of primate that isn't a prosimian (like a lemur) or an ape. Apes, on the other hand, are defined as any member of the Hominoidea superfamily of primates, including humans.
So, by the strict definition, humans are apes.

thehurticus

The Hurticus
But isn't the truth that you want to make yourself special even when you are not?

The truth is that you are as any other animal, that you want to define yourself specifically different shows that you are arrogant and, possible, ignorant of what you truly are.

I am special. As is every other living creature that's ever been on this planet. It feels like you have to prove to everyone that "YOU'RE A MONKEY!" Why do i have to be non-unique just because we're evolutionary brothers.

thehurticus

The Hurticus
An ape isn't a monkey. A monkey is defined as any kind of primate that isn't a prosimian (like a lemur) or an ape. Apes, on the other hand, are defined as any member of the Hominoidea superfamily of primates, including humans.
So, by the strict definition, humans are apes.

You're continuing an argument that's already been subdued. Nobody is arguing against your point.

Gabethewiking

you are aware that none of them do all of those? You can't argue that there are monumental differences between "people" and "monkeys"

I do not even know what you are saying here. I pointed out that you are wrong, do you just ignore this? Other apes as well as monkeys make tools, you mentioned tools in your 'Humans do' phrase..

Once again, do you consider yourself superior to other animals and this is why you want a specific definition to mark yourself 'above' them and this is the reason you do not like to be defined as an Ape? (You are an Ape, a fact you can not escape)

thehurticus

The Hurticus
I do not even know what you are saying here. I pointed out that you are wrong, do you just ignore this? Other apes as well as monkeys make tools, you mentioned tools in your 'Humans do' phrase..

Once again, do you consider yourself superior to other animals and this is why you want a specific definition to mark yourself 'above' them and this is the reason you do not like to be defined as an Ape? (You are an Ape, a fact you can not escape)

you're not listening, I'm not above anything, but i can still be different. I am still different and if you read more closely it says complex. meaning not a stick to get ants out of a hole and these are not the only differences. And i escape it just fine. Our similarities don't make us one, they make us family.

Gabethewiking

I am special. As is every other living creature that's ever been on this planet. It feels like you have to prove to everyone that "YOU'RE A MONKEY!" Why do i have to be non-unique just because we're evolutionary brothers.

Certainly not, You are not a monkey, You are an Ape.

The point is, why do you want to define yourself differently then what reality shows us? Why do you have a problem with understanding your history, where you came from and what you are? It seems you have deep rooted issues with this, perhaps passively.

I just want you to understand that you are no more different then any of your other Ape brothers or, just as you mentioned, any other living creature on the planet possible excluding Creationist (Homo ignoramus).

Baydwin

hahahaha well put. I guess it all boils down to what you consider monumental differences.
:D.

On a philosophical level I kind of agree with you, humans are unique within the animal kingdom. However, on a purely phylogenetic, evolutionary level, the differences between us and other ape species are not great enough to warrent assigning human beings their own family (family being a level of classification). It's as simple as that.

thehurticus

The Hurticus
Certainly not, You are not a monkey, You are an Ape.

The point is, why do you want to define yourself differently then what reality shows us? Why do you have a problem with understanding your history, where you came from and what you are? It seems you have deep rooted issues with this, perhaps passively.

I just want you to understand that you are no more different then any of your other Ape brothers or, just as you mentioned, any other living creature on the planet possible excluding Creationist (Homo ignoramus).

First, I'm still laughing from the homo ignoramus. Secondly, because I am different. My ancestors are scottish, but I don't call my self a Scott, because I'm an American. My even more ancient ancestors were apes, do I still have to classify myself as an ape? Though, technically, I am an ape, why can't I be a person in normal conversation?