• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "Feminist" and Not "Egalitarian"?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
From a marketing standpoint, early feminists should perhaps have named the movement "egalitarianism" since the term "feminist" seems to mislead large numbers of people in several ways. For instance, it lends itself to the misconception that only women are feminists, or that feminism promotes female supremacy.

Having said that, I guess we're stuck with "feminism".

That's an issue that I know you and I have talked about before, Phil. How important is it to "sell" feminism to skeptics and to those who are unfamiliar with the umbrella philosophy as well as the more visible subsets of feminist theory.

My experience has shown me that it isn't merely the term that skeptics and haters object to, it's the perceived behaviors of men and women in the movement who are negatively scrutinized for any and all grievance(s) spoken up about the status quo. If it isn't the "truth" about what a feminist is saying, it's her tone. If it isn't her tone, it's that she is severely delusional or lying (and innocently self-identifying as "just disagreeing with the feminist"). If it isn't the content, it's the scope and how important it is. Most of all, if it makes the other side look the least bit guilty, the greatest pushback occurs and it becomes a playground politics game of "oh yeah? Well your side started it when you ****ed us off."

Approaching egalitarianism and bringing up women's issues has shown me that women's issues are brushed aside more often as unimportant or non-existent. My experience has shown me that in egalitarianism, if mens issues are not front and center, it isn't egalitarian.

Feminism is still the way to go IMO and the best way to address gender inequality. So we ruffle feathers. Tough ****.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That's an issue that I know you and I have talked about before, Phil. How important is it to "sell" feminism to skeptics and to those who are unfamiliar with the umbrella philosophy as well as the more visible subsets of feminist theory.

My experience has shown me that it isn't merely the term that skeptics and haters object to, it's the perceived behaviors of men and women in the movement who are negatively scrutinized for any and all grievance(s) spoken up about the status quo. If it isn't the "truth" about what a feminist is saying, it's her tone. If it isn't her tone, it's that she is severely delusional or lying (and innocently self-identifying as "just disagreeing with the feminist"). If it isn't the content, it's the scope and how important it is. Most of all, if it makes the other side look the least bit guilty, the greatest pushback occurs and it becomes a playground politics game of "oh yeah? Well your side started it when you ****ed us off."

Approaching egalitarianism and bringing up women's issues has shown me that women's issues are brushed aside more often as unimportant or non-existent. My experience has shown me that in egalitarianism, if mens issues are not front and center, it isn't egalitarian.

Feminism is still the way to go IMO and the best way to address gender inequality. So we ruffle feathers. Tough ****.

Good points! I've changed my opinion since I posted that. I'm pretty tired of the "be nice, be inoffensive, be non-threatening" advice these days. I've noticed that LGBT folks have made great progress in recent years by ignoring that sort of advice, and instead, demanding justice, fairness, and truth. I now think the same strategy is the best one for feminism.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I used to avoid the term feminist. I would use egalitarian or just strictly use humanist. However, I got into a debate on an Australian Atheist forum and someone made me realise that Feminism didnt mean what I thought it meant. I presumed it to be what radical feminism presents it to be, and not what it was at the core equality for women (not elevation). It was a lightbulb moment. I still identify as a humanist, but for different reasons.

Midnight Rain

What are your reasons for calling yourself a "feminist" rather than an "egalitarian"? If you believe that feminism stands for gender equality, why wouldn't the label "egalitarian" suffice to express your stance on gender equality?

Please remember not to bash outsiders in an exclusive forum section. Thank you.
Because originally when feminism was founded it was objectively true that women were the oppressed party. Men may have had some problems but it came out of sexism against women. In today's world it is much closer to equality than it once was. But Egalitarian is an umbrella term. Feminism is under the Egalitarian umbrella. So its like asking why a Mexican decides to call themselves a Mexican instead of Hispanic. Its just a more specific term for the conversation we are having.