• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why I choose not identify my religious stance using the word "atheist"

anotherneil

Some might see it as being rather nitpicky, but to me it looks like a word created and designed by religious folks for religious purposes.

I think the same or something similar can go with related words such as "humanist."

To me it's like a way of saying that I don't opt into religion, by simply saying that I'm non-religious or not religious.

Once someone says that they're atheist, it seems to me like they've willingly - and perhaps unwittingly - chosen to step foot on the playing field of religion and religious belief systems. In everyday usage, it might not matter, but from what I've seen in debates between theists and atheists is a trend of the atheists apparently being duped into playing by the rules of the theists.

As an analogy, imagine being asked if you like a certain NFL football team; the question doesn't allow for a distinction between someone who's a fan of a different NFL football team, and someone else who simply isn't interested in NFL football in general. In reality, some (probably most) who identify as atheists would be analogous to those who simply aren't interested in NFL football in general, but the theists don't seem to make that distinction and treat them as being analogous to someone who's a fan of a different football team.

anotherneil

Blasphemy!!

Actually there is no reason that one has to identify as an atheist or an agnostic, or as a humanist, etc.. It is all just personal choice. Sometimes not having any dogma is nice. Heck, always not having dogma is nice.
I'm totally with you that anyone can choose whatever they want to identify themselves. What I'm trying to say is that I personally feel like if I choose "atheist" to identify myself, then I'm setting myself up to have to be on the defense with theists. I don't want to delve into details right now, but I'm probably oversimplifying here.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Some might see it as being rather nitpicky, but to me it looks like a word created and designed by religious folks for religious purposes.

I think the same or something similar can go with related words such as "humanist."

To me it's like a way of saying that I don't opt into religion, by simply saying that I'm non-religious or not religious.

Once someone says that they're atheist, it seems to me like they've willingly - and perhaps unwittingly - chosen to step foot on the playing field of religion and religious belief systems. In everyday usage, it might not matter, but from what I've seen in debates between theists and atheists is a trend of the atheists apparently being duped into playing by the rules of the theists.

As an analogy, imagine being asked if you like a certain NFL football team; the question doesn't allow for a distinction between someone who's a fan of a different NFL football team, and someone else who simply isn't interested in NFL football in general. In reality, some (probably most) who identify as atheists would be analogous to those who simply aren't interested in NFL football in general, but the theists don't seem to make that distinction and treat them as being analogous to someone who's a fan of a different football team.
You do you, by all means.
But in terms of your analogy, I'd be super interested in the NFL, just not someone who barracks for a particular team.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Atheist just means without gods. Pretty much how you first started out in life.

The term is there only because a person one day invented a god or gods, and went with it.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I'm totally with you that anyone can choose whatever they want to identify themselves. What I'm trying to say is that I personally feel like if I choose "atheist" to identify myself, then I'm setting myself up to have to be on the defense with theists. I don't want to delve into details right now, but I'm probably oversimplifying here.

That's fair! Personally, I enjoy discussing religion so I don't mind the label. You're right, though, that taking on the label opens myself up to extra conversation on the topic. Sometimes I do just say that I'm not religious when I don't feel like answering extra questions. In the real world very few people know that I'm an atheist

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Blasphemy!!

Actually there is no reason that one has to identify as an atheist or an agnostic, or as a humanist, etc.. It is all just personal choice. Sometimes not having any dogma is nice. Heck, always not having dogma is nice.
I like the irony in having a personal rule involving not having dogma.

:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's fair! Personally, I enjoy discussing religion so I don't mind the label. You're right, though, that taking on the label opens myself up to extra conversation on the topic. Sometimes I do just say that I'm not religious when I don't feel like answering extra questions. In the real world very few people know that I'm an atheist
You only eat babies in private?

anotherneil

Atheist just means without gods. Pretty much how you first started out in life.

The term is there only because a person one day invented a god or gods, and went with it.
Sure, but I like taking it one step further to - in a way - say that not only am I not "atheist," I'm also not even interested in letting myself get dragged into their LARPing activity.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
You only eat babies in private?

That seems to be the best way. I recommend the old "luring them to sewer drains" trick

images

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In all honesty, "god" and "deity" are such arbitrary and often inconsistent terms that anything defined in relation to them can't help but be arbitrary as well.

That said, I am not a subscriber to the idea that theism would be a requisite or even an aid to religiosity. I would rather state the opposite: it is an obstacle.

Oh, and welcome to RF!

It's a word that tells us potentially useful information about a person.

I get the idea that some people would like there to be no need to have a term like atheist as they think it reflects some kind of natural or default state, but we live in a world significantly shaped by theism and therefore terms like atheist exist and are useful.

Self-consciously not using the label atheist seems no different to me.

Unless we genuinely don't care or think about theism (which rules out people who actually do sometimes think about it), then we adopt some kind of stance regarding it.

That's not playing by other people's rules, it's just a normal aspect of the human experience. Being alive requires us to adopt attitudes towards things, concepts and ideas that exist in our environment, and (theistic) religion is something that exists whether we like it or not.

vulcanlogician

Yeah man. Just say "nonbeliever" or whatever word you think encapsulates your position. Atheist has a lil' bit of a connotative charge to it. If you don't want that connotation, use a different term. It ain't a complicated matter. You don't believe in God or gods. A lotta words'll do the trick.

F1fan

Veteran Member

Once someone says that they're atheist, it seems to me like they've willingly - and perhaps unwittingly - chosen to step foot on the playing field of religion and religious belief systems.
But the only reason a person would have to categorize themselves as an atheist is because they are born into the religious system already. The only reason the category "atheists" exists is because there are theists. Historically religions rules by iron fists. Imagine if a person rejected the state religion, they would be dead. Even in the USA today atheists are heavily prejudiced against. The disdain by believers is fueled by some sort of intolerance and fear.
In everyday usage, it might not matter, but from what I've seen in debates between theists and atheists is a trend of the atheists apparently being duped into playing by the rules of the theists.
Not really. Atheists tend to engage believers and their beliefs, but bring evidence and reasoning skill. Believers don't have rules, critical thinkers do. The game is debate, and theists tend to lose.
First I don't think atheists identify as atheist. I think it's more of a category we fit into. To say "identify" sounds wishy washy. A person doesn't identify as shoe size 44, that is what he is.

Second There are Christians who don't recognize Hindus as believers, or see Muslims as heritics, etc. As noted before it comes down to the tolerance of the specific believer.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I also don't prefer the label "atheist", it's just something that I am by definition.