• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I don't believe that God could be incarnated in a man

Ori

Angel slayer
It's pretty simple really, the body is subject to decay and eventually succumbs to old age.

So how could a God who is infinite, omnipotent, and beyond the laws of time become one of us?

I don't believe God could.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ori said:
It's pretty simple really, the body is subject to decay and eventually succumbs to old age.

So how could a God who is infinite, omnipotent, and beyond the laws of time become one of us?

Of course the body decays; but the body is only a 'vehicle' for the Soul. The Soul is the real you; your body |(in this incarnation) is merely a way for you to interface with other humans, and to get around.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't believe God Did he remained in "Heaven"
Jesus was the Son of God.
Jesus came from God and returned to God.
Whilst he was on Earth He was all Man
A man like no other, true.
The things he taught The things he did were through the power and word of God.
when he called on God, the power of God was with in him.

Ori said:

Very simple: "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ori said:

Are you talking about the same God Jesus prayed to while He was here on earth, or are you talking about the God/man, Jesus?

Chibiusa

Katzpur said:
Are you talking about the same God Jesus prayed to while He was here on earth, or are you talking about the God/man, Jesus?
Here's how I see it: God was in Heaven, and He sent His Son to earth like the way a person sends their voice to aid someone in need.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Chibiusa said:
Here's how I see it: God was in Heaven, and He sent His Son to earth like the way a person sends their voice to aid someone in need.
Then the two would not be "one" in a physical sense. They would be physically separate and distinct from each other, but "one" in some other way. Am I understanding you correctly?

Chibiusa

Katzpur said:
Then the two would not be "one" in a physical sense. They would be physically separate and distinct from each other, but "one" in some other way. Am I understanding you correctly?
What do you mean by "physical" sense? Well, God is a non-corporeal being.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Chibiusa said:
What do you mean by "physical" sense? Well, God is a non-corporeal being.
Well, Jesus was God and He was most definitely a corporeal being who walked the Earth, and who referred to His Father as being in Heaven. Since you believe the Father -- who himself remained in Heaven but sent the Son to Earth -- was a non-corporeal being, in what sense do you see them as being "one"? I ask this because I believe it ties in closely with the OP. I don't believe the OP can be answered without first resolving this issue.

Chibiusa

Katzpur said:
Well, Jesus was God and He was most definitely a corporeal being who walked the Earth, and who referred to His Father as being in Heaven. Since you believe the Father -- who himself remained in Heaven but sent the Son to Earth -- was a non-corporeal being, in what sense do you see them as being "one"? I ask this because I believe it ties in closely with the OP. I don't believe the OP can be answered without first resolving this issue.
Since God is a non-corporeal being, the issue of place would have no meaning for Him to need to exist. He could send Himself to earth while staying in heaven.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Chibiusa said:
Since God is a non-corporeal being, the issue of place would have no meaning for Him to need to exist. He could send Himself to earth while staying in heaven.
Well, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this since, for starters, I don't believe that God is both corporeal and non-corporeal at the same time (which is what it appears you believe). And I definitely don't believe He sent himself anywhere, that He prayed to himself, asked Himself to forgive the men who killed him, or forsook himself on the cross.

As this relates to the OP, I believe that had Jesus not been crucified, He would have grown old (He had already grown to manhood from infancy), become sick and died of natural causes. That is because He had a mortal body and a mortal body is subject to disease and to death. His Father, on the other hand, has an immortal body, which by definition cannot die. Therefore, there is a major flaw in Ori's reasoning, before he even gets around to posing his question.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Paul/YmirGF -- Hi, guy! I got your frubals and comment, and no, I'm afraid that what you said doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. :shrug: (Too bad you can't take them back! :D ) Do you want to elaborate here or just drop it?

Ori

Angel slayer
Katzpur said:

I'm not just referring to Jesus (although he was the obvious inspiration), but the whole concept.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ori said:
I'm not just referring to Jesus (although he was the obvious inspiration), but the whole concept.
Well, Jesus was obviously able to die, because He had a mortal body. If you believe that He and His Father are one and the same, the contradiction you mentioned in your OP -- plus a number of others -- exists. Since I don't believe the Father = the Son, it's a non-issue for me.

jacquie4000

Actually I must say simply put I have never had belief in the trinity. I have researched it alot of my life and no one could give me a clear enough answer for me to believe it.

Random

Ori said:

I think God is incarnate in YOU. And me, and everyone else too. When does a thing stop being a matter of belief and become a fact?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Terrywoodenpic said:
I don't believe God Did he remained in "Heaven"
Jesus was the Son of God.
Jesus came from God and returned to God.
Whilst he was on Earth He was all Man
A man like no other, true.
The things he taught The things he did were through the power and word of God.
when he called on God, the power of God was with in him.
I'm about to declare this National Terry Will Write Everything On Booko's Mind Before She Gets To The Thread Day.

Party time!

: hamster : : hamster : : hamster :

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
Ah, but if you change the analogy to be a reflection in the mirror...that is, suppose God is the sun, and Jesus the perfect mirror reflecting the light of God.

If you look in the mirror and see the reflection, both of these statements are true:

"Look! It's the sun!"
"That's not the sun...just an image of it."

And Jesus would also be correct to speak as if He were God (which He does sometimes) but it would not be absurd for Him to pray to God while in Gethsemane or to appeal to His Father while on the cross either.

Ah the fun of paradoxes. :)

But then, life would be very dull without at least a few to grapple with...

Booko

Deviled Hen
Chibiusa said:

Do you mean sort of like an "emanation"? Sort of a Supernatural Solar Flare, as it were?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
Well, Jesus was obviously able to die, because He had a mortal body. If you believe that He and His Father are one and the same, the contradiction you mentioned in your OP -- plus a number of others -- exists. Since I don't believe the Father = the Son, it's a non-issue for me.

Ah, but I don't equate "one" with "the same."

My husband and I may be of one mind and purpose, but we rather obviously are not the same. :eek:

I can pretty easily accept that God and Jesus are "One" in the sense that Jesus, perfectingly reflecting the Will of God, was in that sense "one" with him...but not the same.

If that makes any sense. I really should just finish dinner before I continue posting. :p