• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I don't like Joyce Meyer

zonie

My friends like Joyce Meyer. I would see her books in my friends’ houses. Sometimes, I would see them watch her on TV. Even my boss liked Joyce Meyer. So I told myself, she must be very good.

One morning I was switching channels when I saw her on TV. I told myself I would give her a minute of my time and listen to what she was saying. Her guest was a very tall woman. She said her height caused her low self-esteem. Meyer explained that every person is unique and we may regard our unique qualities as ugly but she said this uniqueness makes us stand out from the rest and we can use it to our advantage.
Meyer cited her voice as something she always felt different from other people. But she said God used her voice to minister to people. I told myself, that made sense.

Then she called for a commercial break. Then came out a girl endorsing Meyer’s book about self-improvement. All script and all drama. Then the camera showed Meyer again holding her book and telling the TV audience that should they not have a copy of the book yet, “Get it now!”

When it all comes down to it, all these religious people are all about money. The whole Joyce Meyer show was a commercial stint. At least from the short time I watched it. It was religion in business. Joyce Meyer lost my respect without even earning it.

Random

Joyce Meyer? Never heard of her. I'll google her later and make a proper post in reply then.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Here's her official website:

http://www.joycemeyer.org/

I ran across one from an evangelical organization that was pretty critical of her, more on monetary grounds than theological ones, from what I read of it anyway.

I've never watched her.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I've heard/seen her preach on tv once or twice. I thought she was so-so.

Her devotional "Battlefield of the Mind" is absolutely phenomenal. It's been incredibly helpful to me.

I don't know much about Joyce Meyer but I do think a lot of the "Battlefield of the Mind" devotional, which corresponds to a book titled the same.

I would actually recommend the devotional.

Hacker

I used to watch her all the time, I really liked her, but I haven't seen her on TV lately(yes I know I'm not labled as a Christian now, that's when I was still a christian, a few years ago...you could say I'm a "follower of Christ" as Michael says).

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I guess I'm always puzzled when someone's first post is about supporting or not supporting someone. I hope that Zonie will stick around with us. :)

ayani

i kind of like Joyce. i agree that her approach is kind of on a "buy buy buy" circuit, but she does have some good points in her lectures, and i enjoy her speaking style. i've watched her a couple times on TV and have generally enjoyed listening to her. what i don't understand is why a Christian who tunes in wouldn't just need a Bible to read along with...why they would have to also buy her tapes and books. after all, the person has their Bible and they're reading along and listening to Joyce. shouldn't that be the focus and not the merch?

but like i said, i generally like what i've heard of her. she has a down-to-earth style and some good messages.

zonie

I would like to apologize to Joyce Meyer because I judged her the first time I saw her. Though I never ever watched her show again, I really wish her well.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't think charging money for books is wrong. I doubt they could afford to give them away for free. (although Billy Graham will give away a book if you can't afford one)

BillBo

I don't like her because she, or rather her ministry, refuses to delete my email and postal address from their system no matter how many times I have asked them too!