• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is entertainment inescapable on the internet ?

Massimo2002

Everywhere you look on the internet there's some tv show of film or actors bring pushed in your face why is this ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Advertising

If it's advertising through a reputable company there will be a little triangle on the advert somewhere. Hit it and select (something along the lines of) "Stop ads like this"
That particular ad company will change to advertising something else to your IP address. You may or nay not like the new ads either..

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Everywhere you look on the internet there's some tv show of film or actors bring pushed in your face why is this ?
Algorithms.

I don't see these things, because I rarely search for them or 'like' things I do see with such content.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I seldom see entertainment stuff...

Mostly grocery stores or real estate, because one of the kids looks those things up constantly.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I seldom see entertainment stuff...

Mostly grocery stores or real estate, because one of the kids looks those things up constantly.

I'm currently bombarded by Temu and Shein ads, makes a change, last year i searched for electric cars (just curious about price). Ads for MG and Polstar are recently becoming fewer.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I'm currently bombarded by Temu and Shein ads, makes a change, last year i searched for electric cars (just curious about price). Ads for MG and Polstar are recently becoming fewer.
I've been told that if you search using duckduckgo it doesn't bombard you based on past searches

ChristineM

Premium Member
I've been told that if you search using duckduckgo it doesn't bombard you based on past searches

I know, i tried it and didn't get on with it, i guess I'm just to used to chrome.

But thats not where the ads are popping up, they are in with the games i play. I suppose i could buy them to switch of ads but meh!!! Some are interesting

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I use a disposable browser which essentially runs as a freshly installed browser each time I open it.
I found my ads have become incredibly depersonalized to the point they don't appear to influence my spending at all. Just the way I like it :)

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Advertising

If it's advertising through a reputable company there will be a little triangle on the advert somewhere. Hit it and select (something along the lines of) "Stop ads like this"
That particular ad company will change to advertising something else to your IP address. You may or nay not like the new ads either..

I detest advertising with a passion. This is what I currently do to avoid it.

Install an ad-blocker on my internet browser. I currently use Ghostery. It's blocking 8 ads as I write.

Use the "junk" feature of a mail client to automatically throw away stuff you don't want. It doesn't have to be literally junk, just mark anything you don't want.

TV. More difficult as you need to separate the ads from the programming. I mute the sound while ads are on, and keep half an eye on the screen to know when to unmute. I find this removes most of what annoys me. A worrying thing that I've noticed lately is that some stations take over your TV and stop you using TV commands while ads are on. It's probably intended to stop you fast forwarding but it stops muting too. Fortunately, I have a sound bar that is controlled separately, so **** you ad people!

Radio. Almost impossible, as all I have is sound. I tend to keep the radio off in the car, which is the only place I might use it. One thing I've tried is to set the sound just at the limit of audibility when ads come on. There's a difference in the "tone" of ads that I pick up when it stops.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Install an ad-blocker on my internet browser. I currently use Ghostery. It's blocking 8 ads as I write.

Use the "junk" feature of a mail client to automatically throw away stuff you don't want. It doesn't have to be literally junk, just mark anything you don't want.

TV. More difficult as you need to separate the ads from the programming. I mute the sound while ads are on, and keep half an eye on the screen to know when to unmute. I find this removes most of what annoys me. A worrying thing that I've noticed lately is that some stations take over your TV and stop you using TV commands while ads are on. It's probably intended to stop you fast forwarding but it stops muting too. Fortunately, I have a sound bar that is controlled separately, so **** you ad people!

Radio. Almost impossible, as all I have is sound. I tend to keep the radio off in the car, which is the only place I might use it. One thing I've tried is to set the sound just at the limit of audibility when ads come on. There's a difference in the "tone" of ads that I pick up when it stops.

Good stuff.

I simply ignore them unless something catches my eye. Even then I've never bought anything via an internet ad.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I use blockers all the time. I don't care about ads, I could care less about their products and services they pitch , and I could care less if such places cease to exist.

Primarily because the vast majority of advertisers lie and misrepresents their products and services, and there is hardly any quality and reliability anymore with just about any of it. There is also the matter of intrusive in your face advertising which knows no bounds. I have no respect whatsoever and hope their marketing attempts go to hell.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It came about around 5000 BC when the first grower started screaming that his fruit were the best on a market in Ur.
He did sell more than his colleagues, and so the method caught on.
It seems to have started during the Song dynasty with the Liu Family Needle Shop and in ancient Greece and Roman culture with the invention of papyrus according to Wiki.

PureX

Veteran Member
Entertainment sells.

Anything that can be sold for money will be for sale online. The internet is just a giant advertising platform.