• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Holloween So Popular?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I was listening to a bimbo talk show host this morning explain that Halloween was such a popular holiday in the States because it celebrates narcism and people are narcistic, and have been narcistic since the 60s, etc. Do you think this is true? If not, why is Halloween such a popular holiday?

Hacker

Sunstone said:
I was listening to a bimbo talk show host this morning explain that Halloween was such a popular holiday in the States because it celebrates narcism and people are narcistic, and have been narcistic since the 60s, etc. Do you think this is true? If not, why is Halloween such a popular holiday?
Narcisitic? I never thought of that. I think it's a great day for kids and adults to be something or somebody else for a change.:halloween: :bat: :franken: Although I can see narcisistic people having a field day on haloween.:D

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I believe there is a nugget of truth in there. Look at the costumes of most women from the ages of 16 or so on up. In the past they might be a witch, or a princess, or a fairy etc. Now its slutty witch, a slutty princess, a set of cat ears and some drawn on whiskers with nothing else but her Vicoria's Secret on. I even saw a slutty Dorothy (Wizard of Oz) and a slutty Snow White this year. If there isn't a little narcisism driving this trend I don't know what is. Halloween is also so sucessfull because it is a HUGE commercial holiday (Americans spent $50 per person on average during Halloween buying candy, costumes, and decor) so it is pushed heavily by corporate America.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
What a party pooper that person is! Pssssssh.

Halloween is about having fun. Fun dressing up in a fantasy costume and being someone else for the night. It's about scaring yourself silly and eating candy.

Anyone who tries to make it into something more psychologically diabolical needs more stimulation in their life!

c0da

Have any of you seen the film, Mean Girls, with Lindsay Lohan?

She describes Haloween as the time of year when girls can dress up as slutty as they want and no other girl can say anything bad about it. That is certainly true. Me and some friends went to the bars and the club in town on Saturday and, with it being the closest Saturday night to Haloween, it was a Haloween night out for a lot of people. It was as if some girls were just trying to wear as little as they possibly could without getting arrested for indecent exposure!

I think the big attraction of Haloween is the sweets. I can't help pinching some of my little brother's sweets when he gets back from trick or treating :p

Just a little query for the Americans here. Do youths in America use the night before Haloween to cause trouble and make a nuisance of themselves? In England, certainly in my area of the country, there is what kids call 'Mischief Night' on the 30th October where kids throw eggs or flower at people/houses/cars and just get into trouble.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Another fun thing about Halloween is all the classic horror movies and thrillers on every channel every night leading up to Halloween. Some old scary movies you haven't seen in a long time and never see during the rest of the year will be on. Even ones not so old. Gotta love those flicks! I watched "Dawn of the Dead" last night just for kicks. And Hellraisers have been playing too!

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
Halloween is popular simply because kids love free candy.
I know I always enjoy the free candy. Its got two things going for it
1. It's free
2. It's candy.
That's all you need.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I'm still baffled about how a day of rememberance for the dead became a day to dress in costumes and beg door to door.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is not all that popular with adults in the UK..
very few get involved.
quite some kids now do the american trick and treat bit, but even that is a town thing.
Stores are trying to promote it.... it is a good cash cow.
But it is seen as very American here.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Halloween is more popular because it express the side of human nature that feels more free. That is for adults at least. It's just much easier to market.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Sunstone said:
...Halloween was such a popular holiday in the States because it celebrates narcism...
I disagree. IMHO, Halloween celebrates fantasy and escapism. For some people, it's one of 3 days a year (Mardi Gras & New Year's), when you can put on a mask:witch: or a costume and become someone else:dracula: no matter what your age or any other demographic:bat: factor happen to be. And, as others have said, the candy:halloween: doesn't hurt either.