• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the bible god so fickle minded?

ProfLogic

At first the bible god wants to banish humanity. (Genesis)
Next he killed humanity, (Genesis)
then he saves humanity according to a human who no one knew
then he promises salvation to all who please it. (NT)
I might be mistaken but I think in the koran, there was a pre-set percentage
of humanity that would be saved.

Why can't this thing make up its mind?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
ProfLogic said:
At first the bible god wants to banish humanity. (Genesis)
Next he killed humanity, (Genesis)
then he saves humanity according to a human who no one knew
then he promises salvation to all who please it. (NT)
I might be mistaken but I think in the koran, there was a pre-set percentage
of humanity that would be saved.

Why can't this thing make up its mind?

well put it the way you are it does seem to be confusing...

but then that has to be the shortest overview of the scriptural texts of the Torah, Gospels and Quran (tho i don't think that whole percentage thing is in there, but i'm not certain so don't quote me on that)
so, i would think, you've skipped over a great deal of material and commentary in an attempt to make a personal point.

Aqualung

Tasty
I agree with Jewscout. You can't pick and choose just to make your point (and that goes for those who pick and choose to make God seem like a chocolate cake covered with a rich frosting). You have to take it as a whole.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
jewscout said:
but then that has to be the shortest overview of the scriptural texts of the Torah, Gospels and Quran
Lol, yeah - quite impressive really.

ProfLogic, there are many theories and beliefs surrounding this subject.

Jews don't believe in the NT, so any contradictions it raises do not concern them.
Christians and Muslims might say something along the lines of, God does what is necessary at different times in history.

My religion suggests that they were in fact two different Gods.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
To me, it's simple. Man wrote the Bible, not God. Man is fickle, God is not. Man changes his mind to suit his needs, God does not. The OT is stories, wrote by man, claiming to be from God.

A

angellous_evangellous

And perhaps God would have nothing to read about in RF and in "other news" even if she sould make up her mind.

ProfLogic

angellous_evangellous said:
Perhaps God is showing God's feminine side.

I don't know if its feminine but defenetly wants to get rid of the male population since in the ancient times men fought for their religion/beliefs. Women became the spoils of victory.. what a sad sad reality. The violence I am pretty sure was devinely inspired (refering to the bible god). The fickle minded is evedent in a major religion, which I will not mention. Now its acceptable to eat meat on Friday, contraception is under discussion. Make up your mind too......

A

angellous_evangellous

ProfLogic said:
I don't know if its feminine but defenetly wants to get rid of the male population since in the ancient times men fought for their religion/beliefs. Women became the spoils of victory.. what a sad sad reality. The violence I am pretty sure was devinely inspired (refering to the bible god). The fickle minded is evedent in a major religion, which I will not mention. Now its acceptable to eat meat on Friday, contraception is under discussion. Make up your mind too......

I don't know if you haven't read the OT or if you're just ignorantly overgeneralizing. I suspect the latter. God commanded Israel to destroy all of the women, children, and animals in Canaan.

Odd for one to criticise something that one refuses to review.

ProfLogic

jewscout said:
Quran (tho i don't think that whole percentage thing is in there, but i'm not certain so don't quote me on that)

I believe only 1/3 would be saved in the Koran/Quran.

ProfLogic

I don't know if you haven't read the OT or if you're just ignorantly overgeneralizing. I suspect the latter. God commanded Israel to destroy all of the women, children, and animals in Canaan.

Odd for one to criticise something that one refuses to review.

Stand corrected, mostly men in the ancient times since armies are made up of men. People went into slavery

nutshell

God was demonstrating/teaching the Law of Justice in the OT and the Law of Mercy in the NT. As a perfect being, both Laws must be perfectly satisfied and His plan does this and shows us how to do it too.

Bishka

Veteran Member
nutshell said:
God was demonstrating/teaching the Law of Justice in the OT and the Law of Mercy in the NT. As a perfect being, both Laws must be perfectly satisfied and His plan does this and shows us how to do it too.

:clap:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
ProfLogic said:

If you're wanting to get into a discussion on the sacred feminine and ideas on whether we believe our gods wish to fight for our religion or beliefs, please c'mon over to the 'religious debates' forum, so that that can be properly debated without cluttering up the 'biblical debates' area. It's always uncomfortable when one sees ones own faith's history and theology being dragged into a questioning of another's tradition, especially when it's in an area where one cannot properly defend ones position due to the area that the debate is in.

linwood

There`s that fickleness again.

What did he command for the destruction of Medea?

I`m just yanking your chain AE, ignore me.

:)

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
jeffrey said:
To me, it's simple. Man wrote the Bible, not God. Man is fickle, God is not. Man changes his mind to suit his needs, God does not. The OT is stories, wrote by man, claiming to be from God.

Curses! I was prepared to make some (no doubt cutting) remark to this effect, but it had already been said. Far better then I could have, incidentally.

*departs thread, sarcastic wit sheaved... For now*

:D