• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is there anything at all?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
Short clip is ten minutes. Sorry I have the patience of a peanut. Can you summarize or drop some time stamps?

This philosophical question has always been one of the top ones that intrigues me most. I have no definite answer, except for that I think 'nothing existing' is paradoxical, hence existence.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Short clip is ten minutes. Sorry I have the patience of a peanut. Can you summarize or drop some time stamps?

This philosophical question has always been one of the top ones that intrigues me most. I have no definite answer, except for that I think 'nothing existing' is paradoxical, hence existence.

I'm sorry, I am not here to summarize things for you. I simply posted a link to an interesting video. It sounds like we share an interest. Be well.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Life was meant to be lived. To fart, burp, laugh, cry, walk, talk, etc. that’s it. There’s no deep mystery to understand.

I am struggling to see the connection between farting and the question of existence. I mean, we must exist to fart but that does not address the question :)

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I am struggling to see the connection between farting and the question of existence. I mean, we must exist to fart but that does not address the question :)
Sometimes the answers right in front of your nose. I mean, don’t get me wrong. You’re entitled to question it as long as you would like.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, an ld question, but I found this short clip interesting.
It seems to me to have the virtue of being fairly brief, but it's entirely indecisive.

My reply to it would be to point out that nothing about the universe appears to require any kind of overarching intelligent being, so it's at best an argument from ignorance. The only people who are actually looking for the answers are the scientists.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yeah, an old question, but I found this short clip interesting.

The question is not particularly meaningful, because it cannot be answered This response to justify the existence of a 'Source' some call Gods islike others is not interesting, to circular to justify what one believes.

The simple example that most would be uncomfortable with is our physical existence simply exists as is without an explanation from the human perspective,

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

It is.

To imagine that it isn't is fantasy.

Yeah. Farts exist.

RestlessSoul

The question is not particularly meaningful, because it cannot be answered This response to justify the existence of a 'Source' some call Gods islike others is not interesting, to circular to justify what one believes.

The simple example that most would be uncomfortable with is our physical existence simply exists as is without an explanation from the human perspective,

Give me questions which can’t be answered over answers which can’t be questioned, every time.

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

To me in logic the "Absolute Being" that David Bentley Hart is refering to is "The Word", and is logicaly and through faith the intelligence of Creation that exists before creation was ever created was even created and is the infallible certainty in eternity that will never fail. And this is the intelligence that comes to earth to first become in the flesh of the Person of Jesus and God from the Person of the Holy Spirt and God as the mind of God for all mankind to share as one in being, from the Cross, firstborn from death to life, to become again for all as one in being in the image of the Creator God for The Father God.

John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of death to life, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood from teh cross where the blood and water birth for all mankind back to Heaven from where He came...

1. Matthew 4:19, Mark 1:17 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."

2. Matthew 8:22, Luke 9:59 - To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” ..."Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

3. Matthew 9:9, Mark 2:14, Luke 5:27 - After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.”

4. Matthew 16:24, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23 - "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

5. Matthew 19:21, Mark 10:21, Luke 18:22 - Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

6. Luke 14:27 - Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

7. John 1:43 - The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me.”

8. John 10:27 - My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (I realize this one is not a command, but a statement of fact. I decided to include it anyway.)

9. John 12:26 - If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

10. John 13:36 - Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.”

11. John 21:19 - (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”

12. John 21:22 - Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”

To me this is the logic of the Kingdom of the Divine Will of Creation and is the infallible certainty in fulfilled eternal Love through His Passion and follows Him, as, "What would Jesus do in all cases of the fulfilled faith and morality", delivered through the Ark of the New Covenant.

Peace always,
Stephen

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Mankind is limited in in their prediction as well as their deductions because of their limitation in knowledge.
To attempt to answer these questions without the recognition of that fact seems more a matter of self-gratification than something actually worthy of consideration.

RestlessSoul

Mankind is limited in in their prediction as well as their deductions because of their limitation in knowledge.
To attempt to answer these questions without the recognition of that fact seems more a matter of self-gratification than something actually worthy of consideration.

Robert Kuhn's PBS and Youtube channels are dedicated to pushing the boundaries of pure reason, to see how far it can take us in pursuit of truth. I've watched several episodes in which Kuhn respectfully interrogates philosophers, scientists, mathematicians, psychiatrists, theologians etc. The answer to the question, 'How far can reason take us?' may very well be, 'Only so far'. But that's no reason not to go on asking the big, often unanswerable questions.

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

To me in logic, the finite disciplines of earth cannot understand as logic can.

For example, where does the location of the soul exist, consisting from spirit choice through the flesh for the soul of the being. In logic the soul exists where the answer selected through choice is manifested through internal temptation and the failed logic of all created mankind's soul in spirit and flesh creating choice for the being in the First failed created mortal and corrupt Body. The choice becomes the being through the question, does one run the red light or wait for the green light to proceed forward. In logic and through the choice, we are given the freedom that manifests the glorified and transfigured being becoming again the new location of the soul.

To me in logic and faith, infallible certainty is "What would Jesus do in all cases of fulfilled faith and morality in the New Covenant Commandment."

Peace always,
Stephen

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Robert Kuhn's PBS and Youtube channels are dedicated to pushing the boundaries of pure reason, to see how far it can take us in pursuit of truth. I've watched several episodes in which Kuhn respectfully interrogates philosophers, scientists, mathematicians, psychiatrists, theologians etc. The answer to the question, 'How far can reason take us?' may very well be, 'Only so far'. But that's no reason not to go on asking the big, often unanswerable questions.

I've no problem with asking questions.
Just a problem with assuming the answers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It also just avoids the question.

If God/Source were to exist, then God/Source would be part of the "anything."

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Peace to all,

To me in logic the "Absolute Being" that David Bentley Hart is refering to is "The Word", and is logicaly and through faith the intelligence of Creation that exists before creation was ever created was even created and is the infallible certainty in eternity that will never fail. And this is the intelligence that comes to earth to first become in the flesh of the Person of Jesus and God from the Person of the Holy Spirt and God as the mind of God for all mankind to share as one in being, from the Cross, firstborn from death to life, to become again for all as one in being in the image of the Creator God for The Father God.

John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of death to life, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood from teh cross where the blood and water birth for all mankind back to Heaven from where He came...

1. Matthew 4:19, Mark 1:17 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."

2. Matthew 8:22, Luke 9:59 - To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” ..."Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

3. Matthew 9:9, Mark 2:14, Luke 5:27 - After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.”

4. Matthew 16:24, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23 - "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

5. Matthew 19:21, Mark 10:21, Luke 18:22 - Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

6. Luke 14:27 - Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

7. John 1:43 - The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me.”

8. John 10:27 - My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (I realize this one is not a command, but a statement of fact. I decided to include it anyway.)

9. John 12:26 - If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

10. John 13:36 - Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.”

11. John 21:19 - (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”

12. John 21:22 - Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”

To me this is the logic of the Kingdom of the Divine Will of Creation and is the infallible certainty in fulfilled eternal Love through His Passion and follows Him, as, "What would Jesus do in all cases of the fulfilled faith and morality", delivered through the Ark of the New Covenant.

Peace always,
Stephen
The above is based on the belief in the Christian God and Bible scripture, and does not answer the question, except to justify what one believes.

You believe the existence of the Christian God answers the question "Why is there anything at all?", because you believe it answers the question

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Peace to all,

To me in logic, the finite disciplines of earth cannot understand as logic can.

For example, where does the location of the soul exist, consisting from spirit choice through the flesh for the soul of the being. In logic the soul exists where the answer selected through choice is manifested through internal temptation and the failed logic of all created mankind's soul in spirit and flesh creating choice for the being in the First failed created mortal and corrupt Body. The choice becomes the being through the question, does one run the red light or wait for the green light to proceed forward. In logic and through the choice, we are given the freedom that manifests the glorified and transfigured being becoming again the new location of the soul.

To me in logic and faith, infallible certainty is "What would Jesus do in all cases of fulfilled faith and morality in the New Covenant Commandment."

Peace always,
Stephen

The problem remains that subjective circular logic only justifies ones belief of what one believes. It does not answer the question.

Logic can be uses to justify any one of the many conflicting beliefs in the history of humanity. Infallible certainty??? III///_ _ _ All fall down.

wellwisher

If you think of it, existence is only appreciated by consciousness. The rock does need to aware of that. Consciousness was the goal of existence. In Genesis, Adam becomes conscious; breath of life to become a living soul, similar to God and the Angels, who were here before the material creation. The material creation appeared and evolved toward consciousness, so the creation can become like the creator; conscious. We are aware of existence, thereby knowing what can and shall be; new creations.

In my theory of space-time and independent space and time, independent space and time come first. Space-time is a subset. All we need to do is bind these two independent variables together to form space-time; BB. Now we have material creation. Human consciousness, which evolved from this creation, can process data in a way that is similar to independent space and independent time. This is us coming back full circle; return to the source.

Independent space and time has no material limits; space-time is a subset, therefore independent space and time can include fictional as well as tangible. It can also include what can be, but is not naturally a product of the laws of physic and space-time; grow on tree, such as the I-phone. It is when the creation, begins ot become the creator, and we have come full circle, and our existence becomes more than just material existence; spiritual awakening.