• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Islam? Stories of New Muslims

Cordoba

The Story of David Pradarelli:

I came to Islam pretty much on my own.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic, but I always had a deep fascination with the spiritualities of other cultures. My Journey started when I desired to have a relationship with my creator. I wanted to find my spirituality, and not the one I was born with.

I spent some time in the Catholic religious order known as the Franciscans. I had many friends and I enjoyed prayer times, but it just seemed to relaxed in its faith, and there was, in my opinion, too much arrogance and hypocrisy. When I had returned back from the order into secular living again, I once again was searching for my way to reach God (Allah).

One night I was watching the news on television, and of course they were continuing their one-sided half-truth reports on Muslims (always in a negative light instead of balancing it by showing the positive side as well) with images of violence and terrorism. I decided long ago that the news media has no morals whatsoever and will trash anyone for that "juicy story", and I pretty much refused to believe anything they said. I decided to research Islam for myself and draw my own conclusions.

What I found paled all the negative images that the satanic media spewed forth. I found a religion deep in love and spiritual truth, and constant God-mindfullness. What may be fanatacism to one person may be devotion to another. I picked up a small paperback Qur'an and began devouring everything I could. It opened my eyes to the wonder and mercy of ALLAH, and I found the fascination growing every day...it was all I could think about. No other religion including Catholicism impacted me in such a powerful way...I actually found myself in God-awareness 24 hours a day 7 days a week...each time I went to my five daily prayers, I went with anticipation...finally! What I have been searching for all of my life. I finally got enough courage to go to a mosque and profess the Shahadah before my Muslm brothers and sisters. I now am a practicing Muslim and I thank ALLAH for leading me to this place: Ashhahdu anna la ilaha ilallah wa Muhammadur rasul ALLAH! This means: "I believe in the oneness and totalness of ALLAH and that Muhammad(peace and blessings be upon him)is the chosen prophet of ALLAH."

I now also accept Jesus as no longer equal with ALLAH, but sent as Muhammad was sent ...to bring all of mankind to submission to the will of ALLAH! May all of mankind find the light and truth of ALLAH.

February 25, 1997

All the best.

Cordoba

Aaron's Journey to Islaam
by Aaron "Haroon" Sellars

"Why did I accept Islam?

This is a question that I have been asked many times by others, and a question that I have asked myself many times.

Firstly, it was the Will of God because it is He that changes hearts and guides someone to a way that is straight!

Secondly, because I was looking for the truth, the real truth and nothing but the truth!

Thirdly, because there were doctrinal elements in my previous religion of Christianity that at first hearing seemed acceptable but when reflected, analyzed, and prayed upon, proved to be not only unacceptable but also contradictory, inconsistent, and even blasphemous!

But why ISLAM? Why, when I was looking for the real and whole truth did God guide me to Islam and not to one of many religions available to man or just another branch of Christianity? The answer to this important question was to unfold as I took my first steps towards my spiritual quest.

The college scene is where most people of religious background either completely abandon that upbringing or like in my case, just put it on pause. It's really hard not to when you are surrounded by co-ed dorms, open promiscuity, easy access to alcohol, 24 hour parties, and curfew-free nights. There weren't any churches around campus that I was interested in so my Sundays began to feel like any other day of the week.

There was thie big void where my soul was supposed to be and I felt like Moses (pbuh) and his followers being chased by the enemy from all sides only to be confronted by the impassable Read Sea!

I realized that it was time to make the call they had made. The call of faith-the call of God!

I decided to return to the church of my youth, a Baptist church in Washington D.C. I heard that there was a new pastor preching there that was thorough and I decided to try him out. I felt reborn! Clean! With the lips I accepted Jesus (pbuh) as my "lord and saviour" but deep down in my heart, I was just reaccepting the reality of God in my life!

I honestly felt that the best thing to do for a living would be to help people turn to God. Something that had proven to be so successful in my life. But at the same time I was always very open-minded, especially when it came to spiritual truth, I think this is what made me a vessel to receive the full truth, in Islam.

After a while I began a private hobby of studying world religions. The first book I read, "The Religion of Man", was actually one that I had borrowed from a friend. The first chapter I read was the chapter on Islam and it was a tremendous surprise! It began with a little Arabian history and a biography of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)followed by an eplanation of the basic tenants and doctrines of Islam.

I could not believe the similarity and relationship that it had with Christianity. It wasn't some foreign religion made up by some foreign man who worshipped some foreign God. It was the true Abrahamaic (pbuh) religion, revealed through a man whose very lineage traced back to Abraham's (pbuh) first son Ishmael (pbuh) who worshipped the same one true God.

This further fed my curiousity and interest in Islam. I had decided to keep myself open so I also read the history and doctrines of Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Native American spirtuality, and other smaller religious sects, cults, and movements. The information that I had gathered so far was not enough to make me want to change my religion but that was soon to change when I came into contact with the Qur'an!

I was working at a music store where a young woman used to come to the store with whom I used to have general conversations and on one occasion happened to bring up the topic of Islam. I then found that she was a Muslim and she told me that I could get more information on Islam at a little session that her fatehr helped teach with some other Muslim. I was both nervous and excited at my first visit but it was my first time being around real Muslim!

I was initially impressed by the racial variety, the simple environment, and the warm humbleness of the attendants. They answered a few basic questions of mine but I was there mostly to listen. When it was prayer time, I quietly watched from a distance with a smile. Seeing all the men, women, and children bow in unison and put their faces flat against the ground in prayer seemed a little strange and funny, yet so humble, so unified, and so natural.

It seemed like this was the ultimate way that we as God's creations were supposed to pray. I recalled in my mind accounts in Bible of other prophets like Abraham, Moses, and Gesus (pbuh), throwing themselves to the ground in humility and prayer to God yet this is not the way we prayed in church as "Christians", but the Muslims did! Jesus (pbuh) told us to greet each other by saying "Peace be with you", yet we Christians didn't do this. It was the Muslims who greeted each other saying "As-Salaamu Alaikum" which means "Peace be with you".

When I saw my Muslim friend at the music store again I thanked her and told her how wonderful it was and that I was sure to return. She then asked me if I had a Quran yet. I said "No". I thought that the Quran was only in a foreign language and that I couldn't read it but she said that she would give me an English translations from the original Arabic. I gladly accepted the offer and was even more excited when I recieved it!

"WOW! My first real Quran". I couldn't wait to start reading it. The first thing I did was to look up Jesus(pbuh) in the index and look up every verse it listed under his name. This was the prophet that I was raised on and was dear to me so I had to know what God had revealed in this book kabout him. If it degraded, ridiculed, or rejected him in any way I was going to close the book and leave Islam alone. ...

The impact of the 157th verse in the 4th chapter of the Quran was to dramatically change my life from that point on!

When I read in the Quran in chapter 10:57, "O mankind! There has come to you a direction from you Lord and a healing for the diseases in your herats-and for those who believe, A Guidance and a Mercy!" I said to myself "This is it. This IS THE WORD OF GOD!!"

I had finally come home and found peace!

More details:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/4482/article55.html

Cordoba

Amina from Iceland:

"My name is Amina and I reverted to Islam on January 31. 1999. This is the story of my road to Islam.

I was born in Iceland in 1976. My family belongs to the state church of Iceland, which is Evangelical Lutheran (Protestant). However, although religion was always present to a certain extent in my life it never played a very large role in my upbringing. ...

Islam has very little presence in Iceland and I didn't know very much about it growing up. ... I did not become prejudiced against Islam and kept my mind open. One of the major reasons for that is probably due to my correspondance with an Icelandic girl who was an exchange student in Indonesia while I was an exchange student in Venezuela. In her letters and after we returned home she told me stories of her life and experience in Indonesia, which was all very positive and showed me a different view of Islam and muslims than the books I had read and the media portrayed.

However, personally I didn´t really come into contact with Islam until I went to study in the United States in the fall of 1997. I went to the United States on a one year Rotary scholarship program and in my University there was a guy from Egypt, who was a part of that same program. We became very close and through my relationship with him I became interested in Islam. He often used to tell me things about Islam and I'd watch him practice Islam. Little by little I became interested in Islam, I started asking questions and debate Islam with him and then I started to research on my own, first on the internet and then by reading books about Islam, including a translation of the Quran.

My research started for real last spring and continued over the summer while I was back home in Iceland and then in the fall when I went back to the US to finish my studies here on my own. For a long time the only person I had discussed and debated Islam with and asked questions about Islam was my friend from Egypt, but in December last year I stumbled upon a chat about Islam on the internet where I met some really wonderful muslims that I chatted with and asked questions and they helped me a lot. Talking to someone else, someone neutral was really important to me.

When I first started researching Islam I was very excited and I was discovering so many wonderful things about Islam that I didn’t know about and in a way I just got hooked so to speak, I could not stop thinking about Islam and I just wanted to read more and more.

But for a long time I was torn, there were many issues that I didn’t understand and many that I had a hard time accepting. For a period of time I went through a phase where I tried to find anything negative about Islam, I guess to convince myself that I didn’t have to become a muslim, because to be honest I was terrified and confused and it seemed much easier to just continue living my life the way I had been, than accept the truth and change my lifestyle. I was really confused during this time. One moment I’d feel that Islam was the truth and all I wanted was to submit to God and become a muslim, but the next moment I would find everything wrong with Islam, it was like in the cartoons, having an angel whispering into one ear and a devil whispering into the other.

But finally I managed to stop listening to the “little devil” and see clearly that Islam is the truth and that all I wanted was to submit myself to God and live my life as a muslim. I was chatting with a muslim sister that I had met at that first chat in December I, when I decided that it was time to take my shahada. I had already made plans to go to a sisters halaqa the next morning (we were chatting in the middle of the night) and I told her I was going to take my shahada then, but that I wished I could do it immediately. So she decided to see if that was possible and found three other muslim sisters she knew online and we all met in a chatroom and I ended up taking my shahada on the Internet.

Since becoming Muslim I have gone through both very happy times and difficult times. I am contintously struggling with learning more about Islam and how to be a good Muslim as well as trying to keep strong despite negative reactions from my family and friends. All I know is that I made the right decision and I thank Allah for guiding me to the truth."

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/7797/mystory/mystory.htm

Cordoba

Bruce Paterson (UK)

From Christianity to Buddhism to Islam

"I started my search for the truth a number of years ago. I wanted to find out the truth about the reality of our existence. Surely, to understand life correctly is the key to solving all the worldly problems that we are faced with today.

I was born into a Christian family and this is where my journey began. I started to read the bible and to ask questions. I quickly became unsatisfied. The priest told me, "You just have to have faith." From reading the bible I found contradictions and things that were clearly wrong. Does God contradict himself? Does God lie? Of course not!

I moved on from Christianity, thinking the scriptures of the Jews and the Christians are corrupted so there is no way that I can find the truth form the false. I started finding out about Eastern Religions and Philosophies. Particularly Buddhism.

I spent a long time meditating in Buddhist temples and talking to the Buddhist monks. Actually, the meditating gave me a good clean feeling. The trouble was that it didn't answer any of my questions about the reality of existence. Instead it carefully avoided them in a way that makes it seem stupid to even talk about it.

I travelled to many parts of the world during my quest for the truth. I became very interested in tribal religions and the spiritualist way of thinking. I found that a lot of what these religions were saying had truth in them but I could never accept the whole religion as the truth. This was the same as where I started with Christianity!

I began to think that there was truth in everything and it didn't really matter what you believed in or what you followed. Surely though this is a form of escaping. I mean, does it make sense: one truth for one person and another truth for someone else? There can only be one truth!

I felt confused, I fell to the floor and prayed, "Oh, please God, I am so confused, please guide me to the truth." This is when I discovered Islaam.

Of course I always knew something about Islaam but only what we naively hear in the West. I was surprised though by what I found. The more that I read the Quran and asked questions about what Islaam taught, the more truths I received. The striking difference between Islaam and every other religion is that Islaam is the only religion that makes a strict distinction between the creator and the creation. In Islaam we worship the creator. Simple.

You will find however, that in every other religion there is some form of worship involving creation. For example, worshipping men as incarnations of God, or stones. Sounds familiar. Surely though, if you are going to worship anything, you should worship the one that created all. The one that gave you your life and the one who will take it away again. In fact, in Islaam, the only sin that God will not forgive is the worship of creation.

However, the truth of Islaam can be found in the Quran. The Quran is like a text book guide to life. In it you will find answers to all questions. For me, everything I had learnt about all the different religions, everything that I knew to be true, fitted together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. I had all the pieces all along but I just did not know how to fix them together."

http://www.islamicity.com/Mosque/MyJourney/AbdulWahid_Paterson.htm

All the best.

Cordoba

Sir Abdullah Archibald Hamilton

Sir Abdullah Archibald Hamilton Bart, formerly Sir Charles Edward Archibald Watkins Hamilton, embraced Islam on 20th December 1923.

A well-known English statesman, fifth baronet of the first (1770) and third baronet of the second creation (1819) Sir Abdullah was born on 10th December 1876. He was a Lieutinent in the Royal Defence Corp. and was also the President of the Selsy Conservative Association.

Since arriving at an age of discretion, the beauty and the simple purity of Islam have always appealed to me. I could never, though born and brought up as a Christian, believe in the dogmatic aspect of the Church, and have always placed reason and commonsense above blind faith.

As the time progressed, I wished to be at peace with my Creator, and I found that both the Church of Rome and the Church of England were of no real use to me.

In becoming a Muslim I have merely obeyed the dictates of my conscience, and have since felt a better and a truer man.

There is no religion that is so maligned by the ignorant and the biased as is Islam; yet if people only knew, it is the religion of strong for the weak, the rich for the poor. ...

Islam teaches the inherent sinlessness of man. It teaches that man and woman come from the same essence, possess the same soul, and have been equipped with equal capabilities for intellectual, spiritual and moral attainment.

I do not think I need say much about the Universal Brotherhood of man in Islam. It is a recognized fact. Lord and vassal, rich and poor, are all like. I have always found that my brother Muslims have been the soul of honour and that I could believe their word. They have always treated me justly, as a man and a brother, and have extended to me the greatest hospitality, and I have always felt at home with them.

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=202

Cordoba

Constance Mcdonald

Former US Model Overwhelmed by Muslim Pilgrimage (Hajj)

Mcdonald, a 38-year-old from Lake Orion, Michigan, said she converted to Islam in 1990 to marry Carl Karoub, a US national whose grandparents were Lebanese.

"At first the conversion was just out of convenience," said her husband, a medical staffer at William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan, who was born into a Muslim family. "But a couple of years later she realised that this was what she was looking for and she started practising (Islam).

"There was no pressure from Carl," she said. "I had been searching for the truth for 10 years, and after I read the Quran and looked at it closely I knew that this is the truth, much like Yousef al-Islam (singer Cat Stevens)."

Mcdonald said her faith was further strengthened when her three little girls started going to a Muslim school and she met many other women who had converted to Islam and were married to Muslim husbands.

She said she started covering her hair in accordance to Muslim teachings two years ago.

Her husband said he paid $10,000 in hajj costs for his wife and himself. Most of the American pilgrims in the complex were of Middle Eastern or Asian origin.

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/modelhajj.htm

All the best.

Cordoba

David Pradarelli

"I came to Islam pretty much on my own. I was born and raised Roman Catholic, but I always had a deep fascination with the spiritualities of other cultures.

My Journey started when I desired to have a relationship with my creator. I wanted to find my spirituality, and not the one I was born with.

I spent some time in the Catholic religious order known as the Franciscans. I had many friends and I enjoyed prayer times, but it just seemed to relaxed in its faith, and there was, in my opinion, too much arrogance and hypocrisy. When I had returned back from the order into secular living again, I once again was searching for my way to reach God (Allah).

One night I was watching the news on television, and of course they were continuing their one-sided half-truth reports on Muslims (always in a negative light instead of balancing it by showing the positive side as well) with images of violence and terrorism. I decided long ago that the news media has no morals whatsoever and will trash anyone for that "juicy story", and I pretty much refused to believe anything they said. I decided to research Islam for myself and draw my own conclusions.

What I found paled all the negative images that the satanic media spewed forth. I found a religion deep in love and spiritual truth, and constant God-mindfullness. What may be fanatacism to one person may be devotion to another. I picked up a small paperback Qur'an and began devouring everything I could. It opened my eyes to the wonder and mercy of ALLAH, and I found the fascination growing every day...it was all I could think about. No other religion including Catholicism impacted me in such a powerful way...I actually found myself in God-awareness 24 hours a day 7 days a week...each time I went to my five daily prayers, I went with anticipation...finally! What I have been searching for all of my life.

I finally got enough courage to go to a mosque and profess the Shahadah before my Muslm brothers and sisters. I now am a practicing Muslim and I thank ALLAH for leading me to this place: Ashhahdu anna la ilaha ilallah wa Muhammadur rasul ALLAH! This means: "I believe in the oneness and totalness of ALLAH and that Muhammad(peace and blessings be upon him)is the chosen prophet of ALLAH."

I now also accept Jesus as no longer equal with ALLAH, but sent as Muhammad was sent ...to bring all of mankind to submission to the will of ALLAH! May all of mankind find the light and truth of ALLAH."

February 25, 1997

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/pradarelli.html

All the best.

Cordoba

Dr. Abdul Karim Germanus

Dr. Abdul Karim Germanus is a well known Orientalist of Hungary and is a scholar of world repute.

He visited India between the wars and for sometime was also associated with Tagore's University Shanti Naketen. Later on he came to Jamia Millie Delhi. It was here that he embraced Islam.

Dr. Germanus is a linguist and an authority on Turkish language and literature and it was through oriental studies that he came to Islam. At present Dr. Abdul Karim Germanus is working as Professor and Head of the Department of Oriental and Islamic Studies at the Budapest University, Hungary.

This is his story:

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/germanus.html

All the best.

Cordoba

Dr. Hamid Marcus (Germany)

"As a child I had felt an inner urge to learn all I could about Islam, and I had carefully studied an old Qur'an translation which I had found in the library of my home town and which dated back to 1750. It was the edition from which Goethe also drew his knowledge of Islam.

At that time I had been deeply struck by the absolutely rationalistic and at the same time imposing composition of the Islamic teachings. I had also been very much impressed by the gigantic spiritual revolution which they evoked in the Islamic nations of that time.

Later, in Berlin, I had the opportunity of working together with Muslims and listening to the enthusiastic and inspiring commentaries which the founder of the first German Muslim Mission at Berlin and builder of the Berlin Mosque, gave on the Holy Qur'an. After years of active co-operation with this outstanding personality and his spiritual exertions, I embraced Islam.

Islam supplemented my own ideas by some of the most ingenious conceptions of mankind ever thought of. The belief in God is something sacred to the religion of Islam. But it does not proclaim dogmas which are incompatible with modern science. Therefore there are no conflicts between belief on the one hand and science on the other. This fact is naturally a unique and enormous advantage for a man who participated to the best of his ability in scientific research.

The second advantage is that the religion of Islam is not an idealistic teaching which runs along blindly beside life as it is, but that it preaches a system which actually influences the life of a human being .... the laws of Islam are not compulsory regulations which restrict personal freedom, but directions and guides which enable a well-contrived freedom.

Throughout the years I have noticed time and again with deepest satisfaction that Islam holds the golden mean between individualism and socialism, between which it forms a connecting link. As it is unbiased and tolerant, it always appreciates the good, wherever it may happen to come across it."

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/marcus.html

All the best.

Cordoba

Sister eye:

"I wanted to share my story of how i found Islam.

I was raised in the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. I thought I had the religion of the righteous. When I became a teenager, I began to ask questions that I could not get the answers. By the time I was 18, I no longer attended the Hall and (sad to say) I found the wildside of life.

When i was 23 I got married (no church or religious ceremony just a justice of peace) my husband was raised Catholic and I was sure that was not the answer for us in our desire to have God in our lives.

I began to investigate Islam through a friend who was Muslim. It was the 3rd time I attended Jumuah that IT happened to me. the Imam was saying a prayer in arabic. I had no idea what he was saying but it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. I sat there and cried. My heart was so full. I never felt like this before.

Unfortunately, I did not take my shahadah at that time. I was worried about my husband and my family. I continued to study and learn and attend Jumah whenever I could. At the age of 27 (having 2 children in that time) Alhumdulilah, I took my shahadah.

My family and my husband were not happy to say the least. It put a horrible strain on our marrige and i thought it would end. one year later my husband took his shahadah. It has not been easy for us in our transition but , inshaAllah, we are growing everyday.

It has been 3yrs for me and 2yrs for my husband. And everyday I thank Allah for letting me find Islam."

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=236

ayani

these are interesting stories, Cordoba.

reminds me of a film i was watching where new Muslims discuss their faith... i'll try to find it!

Cordoba

Thanks Gracie.

Here is the story of Sister Ericka:

"My name is Ericka, I live in the United States, I am a housewife and I am 27 years old.

I am of Mexican origin and born and raised in a "Catholic" atmosphere, my family so far is somewhat "devout" in the traditions surrounding this "religion".

About three years ago by invitation of a girlfriend, I visited a "Christian" church, they were Evangelists, they seemed very similar to me in that time and assisted me many times and I understood many things among them the discipline to read the Bible and although I did not always understand it at least I took the ideas to study for the following class on Sunday.

On one occasion the Reverend made an affirmation that Muslims "hated" Jesus and that they worshipped another God who was called Allah. I decided to investigate ISLAM to confirm what he said. To my suprise I met Muslims who loved Jesus as much as Christians (we who wait for his coming), and that Allah means God in the Arabic language and it is another way for us to speak of Him as if the Americans worship another God that is called God, or the Italians do when they say "Dio", etc. I investigated and I realized that in effect Jesus is not God as people now affirm the Christian belief in it, because the same person Jesus prayed to the same God, just like us. ...

I resisted it in the beginning but I began to see the truth with my own eyes because it was sad to think that my so sacred and well-regarded book, which to me was the word of God, was distorted.

I prayed to the All-powerful God that guided me and let me see the truth, that He guided me to worship Him without worrying about the consequences.

One of my major doubts was what if the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was not prophesied in the Bible, because if the Bible said that, it was truth.

I encountered many proofs of it and my heart already felt the correct guidance, so I commenced to read on about Islam.

I discovered that the Koran is the pure word of God and this one is not corrupt, I discovered that it is a right and logical religion with all the answers for this life and the other, it is a religion of peace and of delivering yourself wholly to God, with blessings for the believers.

After much time thinking, I wanted to be Muslim and one day I went to my husband, who is also a Muslim and he helped me to say my testimony and when I did I felt a great weight lifted from my shoulders, I felt free, clean, and with much faith, since then I wear my veil and obey the living God peacefully, armored with the faith of which each day Allah gives us because everything in the earth He has already given it, because Islam is not a single religion but a way of life.

I have not had any major changes, my family has accepted it, and I am very happy."

http://www.muhajabah.com/my_journey_to_islam/sister_eri.php

Cordoba

E. Muhammad Tate (USA)

"I was born into a Christian family, but I did visit any church until I was 8 years old. We visited the Presbyterian Church. My sisters and I went every Sunday to Bible class and to the service for many years. After the death of our mother, I eventually enrolled to teach Sunday school.

As I began teaching, nonetheless, I knew that there were many questions that I had about Christianity that I did not understand. In fact, some of the most important things just didn't make sense. Although, I asked the minister and elders of my church, I received no satisfactory answers. I eventually not only left the church, but I swore off all forms of religion. I believed that they were created to control people but not guide people. I continued to believe in God, but I decided that I had to practice "my own religion" - just be good.

I lived this way for 10 years. I traveled throughout Europe, and then settled in Germany. I married and had my first child. Still, my life was somehow not complete. I desperately needed to get in touch with my cultural roots as a Afro-American and try to define who I am, what am I to be, and what was my purpose here on earth.

Although, I read booklets on Islam a few times over the years, it seemed to only go in one ear and out the other. (Allah (swt) will open the door when He knows you are ready) I began to think about the church and how it was somehow not "me", not "us" (Afro-Americans).

One day, as I went to visit a friend in Austria, I came across an Islamic Center. I had never been in a Mosque before. I was not certain if I should enter. A "east indian"-looking man bid me to come in. He asked me if he could help. I told him that I just wanted to look around. I saw that there were books for sale. I noticed among the pamphlets, they had an English/Arabic Qur'an. I bought it and some pamphlets. By the time I was home, I began reading the pamphlets and then eventually the Qur'an.

I could not put the book down! It fascinated me and terrified me! It terrified me with its absolutely simple and accurate logic. At times I was embarrassed to have believed what I did, but I also noticed that those things which I thought were "my private religion", I was reading it in the Qur'an! I knew then that THIS was the path I had to follow.

Although, I had only read about a third of the book at that time, and knew almost nothing about the Prophet Muhammad (sas) I knew that I had to become Muslim and made Shahada at a Mosque in Germany shortly after.

I was welcomed with open arms from brothers from Kuwait, Africa, Egypt, Turkey, Albania and the US. I've prayed next to wealthy and not-so-wealthy men, older men and young boys, all as equals, and brothers, all servants of Allah (swt).

I have finally found my Purpose of Life in Islam."

http://www.aslamt.com/stories/53.html

Cordoba

Fathima Liebenberg

"I am Fathima Liebenberg, a white Muslim woman converted to Islam in 1995. I am very proud to say!

I am a Muslim, but if it was not for my son I would never have been a Muslim. For me it was a hard and long struggle because it cost me my job, friends and family.

My life before Islam

I was a very pious Christian who went to the Pentecostal churches. I used to collect the street children and take them to the church and Sunday school. My life consisted only of reading and studying the bible, until my son told me about Islam.

My son came home one day and said, "Mummy! Why don't you become a Muslim?' I was shocked at the very idea and said, "Never".

He said, "Mummy! Islam is such a pure and clean religion, they pray five times a day'.

That is when I decided to read the books and the translation of the Noble Quran. The more I read the Quran, the more I was convinced that Islam was for me. I turned to Allah and finally I found peace and tranquillity. I hid it from my family until one day I decided to phone my brother and tell him I was now a Muslim.

My brother was so shocked, because we were very devoted and pious Christians, and I was the only one to be converted to Islam. My family phoned me about a year ago and told me never to contact them again as I now was no longer their sister. I love my family very much and miss them but I know one day we will meet again. Insha Allah.

I was so happy when I received my 'Muslim Identity Card' that I felt like standing on the roof tops and shouting out to the world that I am a Muslim. I lost my family, but gained a new family in Islam. My new family, the Muslims, were so wonderful, I cannot express it. I would like to make special mention of my appreciation to the Fakrodeen family of Prince Edward St. I love you who treated me as if I was part of the family, May Allah reward you all.

Appa Tasneem Jazakallah, when I am in your Madrasah with all the little ones, it feels like I am in Jannah surrounded by little angels. I am so happy that Allah Taala has chosen me to be a Muslim.

I have worn the Hijaab since I became a Muslim and will never take it out. My only wish is to go to Macca even though I doubt that it will be possible but Insha Allah, one day Allah will provide me with the means to reach there. Each time I want to be closer to Allah, I read the Sunnats of our Beloved Prophet (SAW).

Paper will not be enough for everything that I wish to tell you about Islam. I also want to say Jazakumullah to the Kazi family, and I would like to thank our Ulamas of the Jamiatul Ulama (KZN). And to our brother Ahmad Deedat who is so ill. May Allah Taala cure you and return you back to all of us.

Islam is a way of life. Islam means peace and a Muslim is one who strives for peace through his submission to Allah Taala. A Muslim's first duty is to Allah the Almighty and it is out of your deep love for Allah that your duties become acts of devotion.

It is no easy task for me as a white Muslim lady, living amongst Christians, but I keep my head up high and I am so very proud to be a Muslim. So, my dear brothers and sisters if you are born Muslim but have not been a dutiful one it is not too late. If you have not started yet, you can start tomorrow or even tonight. Brothers and sisters, as Muslims, keep your heads up high and show the world that you are proud to be Muslims.

Yours Sister-in-Islam, Fathima Lienberg

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/fathima_lienberg.html

Cordoba

Umm Fatima (The Mother of Fatima)

"I came from an average American home growing up. I was a normal child with a normal family life.

I grew up in a Christian home, attended Sunday school, and when I was older, helped with needs around the church. When I was in the third grade and about six years old, I decided that I didn't want to go to church anymore. I explained my feelings to my mom who accepted my choice and allowed me to stop going to church. Even as a small child, the trinity and God having a biological son didn't sit right with me, or even sound right. ...

I still prayed and asked God to guide me to His truth, and to accept it when I found it or it found me. When I started high school, I decided to attend church again after falling in with the wrong group of friends who used to steal cars, etc. I questioned my local pastor on different chapters I read in the Bible and asked why certain things contradict others. I was left with more questions, and answers that were themselves questions.

A year later, I was home cooking dinner when my uncle come over and told me to get dressed because he was taking me somewhere. He took me to a place that I had never noticed before, a small building near a high school that some of my friends went to. Pointing to three women dressed in balck, he told me to go through some doors and downstairs where his wife would be waiting for me. So I did what he said and went down the stairs.

Once there, I began to look around and saw only seven women in the room. But there was a feeling that over took my body, a feeling of belonging and an awakining of my soul for the first time. I met my uncle's wife who handed me a white scarf and told me I would have to cover my head with it. So I remember giving her a funny look and putting it on. I asked her why I had to cover my head. And she gave me a simple answer: "This is the way Muslim women dress, and out of respect, you should do it also."

That night I met many women who were so very nice and answered many questions I might have thought of but didn't. About an hour after being there, I heard a man's voice come over the speakers. I could not make out what he was saying, but all the women where running to get in line. My aunt told me that they where forming a prayer line to pray the sunset prayer (called maghrib in Arabic.) I stood there in awe watching them; never had I seen any person pray in this manner. All these people from different backgrounds and different parts of the world were all praying together, falling on their faces in prayer.

When my uncle was taking me home, he asked me what I thought. I looked at him, not knowing anything about Islam, and said this is what I was searching for, what I want. I took my shahadah (testimony of faith) two weeks later. I have been Muslim for five years now, and it's the best thing I have ever done."

http://www.islamicgarden.com/article1024.html

Cordoba

The Story of Farieda

(From writing a book about the Middle East, and research on Islam, to finding the truth and belief in God)

Assalamualaikum everyone,

This is always the hardest part, to make a start and write everything down and that while I do not understand it that well myself. It is great what happened to me, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but at the same time it scares me very much. ...

The way I fell in love with Islam is actually a bit bizarre. A book I am writing which contains strong Islamic and Middle-Eastern influences caused it.

I always found the Middle East incredibly fascinating. To write this book however, I had to do a lot of research. The more I read about the Islam the better I could understand it. Through this comprehension and understanding I could see and describe things I previously was blind for.

Until one day a tidal wave of inspiration engulfed me and I started to type whatever I saw in my mind, the things that happened and so on. My poor fingers religiously attempted to keep up with the pace of my mind; it went fast and almost on its own. When I read the pages back, it touched me deeply and intense.

I think I stared at my monitor for at least half an hour. For a minute I thought that I recognized myself and suddenly I could pinpoint that emptiness inside me. Then I realized what I wanted to do. I wanted to become a Muslim! Just by saying it I scared myself and I had to blush. As if I was speaking of things that are forbidden.

I still cannot comprehend how this could happen and that is of course not necessary, but I can only guess that I must have had this need and desire all along. ...

When you are busy trying to get some order in your daily life (I have so many shortcomings, which I shall save you from by not mentioning them here) and after the first few tremors it occurred to me where my love has fallen for. At that point the euphoric feelings traded places with fear and insecurity. I wanted to push it away from me; I kept telling myself that I could not do it, that I was not strong enough. More excuses. Then slowly you start to talk to people about it and then it discourages you even more. I didn't have Internet at that time and information was sparse, certainly in the place I live, a small fishing community.

I went to the tourist information office to get information. I found one person, but I was not brave yet to call. After that I went to the library. I did not have a card yet so I had to read the books there and time was sparse so I was kind of stressed as well. One of the books that I picked of the shelves was the Muslim woman’s handbook. But! But! But, I never can do THAT! Then you get all these Arabic words that you do not understand, the names that do not sounds like they were Dutch and that terrified me even more. It almost made it sound like an exclusive club. What if I cannot even become a Muslim? What if I have to be born a Muslim? More insecurity and more fears.

Through reading the various books I started to realize what a poor and wrong life I have lived, something no minister or priest was able to tell me or to make clear to me. And here I was finding it out on my own, in the book that has been written by Muslim women. I felt a deep shame. I felt shame for my former hostile attitude towards Muslim women and my inheritance of the West.

The last couple of days I did not eat, drink or sleep much. I was really bothered with it, I wanted to know more but I just didn't know how. I felt a strong desire to seek out a contact, but I was scared to make the first move. Boy. What am I the brave one? The ignorance, the big differences, I fear that I have not fully recovered from the entire shock. This is partly caused by the fact that it is so incredibly different. It is so much the better, as how I feel it, but also so very difficult. Also not very West like.

Really, I am not the bravest one and to take those first steps is not easy. I do not mean to complain, but it is what I feel. I remember a few days ago where I before I went to bed sat on my knees and called out for myself (not in Arabian because at that time I knew little Arabian), There is no God but God alone, and Mohammed is His Prophet.

Under the sheets I broke into tears. When I describe this special moment then I feel still very emotional about it. Do not ask me why, because I do not know. All I know that it is like that. This is what I told my mother as well and she laughed at me. I really do not see you walking around in a headscarf! she said mocking me.

I understand. She is in pain because according to her I have become a stray. As soon as I told her about my desire to become Muslim we got heated discussions where she demanded her right. I could not do so, so I left in the middle of the argument. ...

At the time of writing are things between my mother and I changed. We have solved our differences and her fear has now changed into genuine interest. I also bought her a small book, which is Islam for beginners and it seems to help her a lot. Through Allah I know can better understand my mother and this mutual understanding has made our relationship stronger.

The reactions of the rest of the family were somewhat stiff in the beginning, but in general a positive impression. ...

I hope that I do not offend any of you and that you are sighing all the way through my story. ...

Thanks for listening,
Farieda

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/farieda.html

Cordoba

Helena (Sweden)

"Growing up in a supposedly Christian, but in fact non-religious family, I never heard the name of God being uttered, I never saw anyone pray and I learned early on that the only reason for doing things was to benefit yourself.

We celebrated Christmas, Easter, Mid-summer and All Saints Day and even though I never knew why, I never questioned it. It was part of being Swedish. As a Christian (protestant) you can go through something called confirmation when you are about 15 years of age. This is meant to be a class to take to learn about your religion and then confirm your belief. I wanted to do this to learn about Christianity so I was signed up for this 3-week camp which was a combined golf-and confirmation camp. In the mornings we had classes with a senile priest and our thoughts wandered off to the upcoming game of golf. I didn't learn anything.

I went through high-school with a breeze. I felt that nothing could harm me. My grades were the best possible and my self confidence was at the top. Religion never came to my mind. I was doing just fine. Everyone I knew that was "religious" had found "the light" after being either depressed or very sick and they said that they needed Jesus in their life to be able to live on. I felt that I could do anything that I put my mind to and that religion only was an excuse to hide from reality.

In college, I started thinking about the meaning of life. I had a hard time accepting any religion because of all the wars and problems relating to them. I made up my own philosophy. I was convinced that some form of power created everything but I couldn't say that it was God. God for me was the Christian image of an old man with a long white beard and I knew that an old man could not have created the universe!

I believed in a life after death because I just couldn't believe that justice wouldn't be served. I also believed that everything happens for a reason. Due to my background and schooling I was fooled to believe in Darwin's theory, since it is taught as a fact. The more I thought about the meaning of life, the more depressed I became, and I felt that this life is like a prison. I lost most of my appetite for life.

I knew a lot about Buddhism and Hinduism since I was interested in these things in school. We learned in detail about their way of thinking and worship. I didn't know anything about Islam. I remember my high-school text book in Religion showing how Muslims pray. It was like a cartoon strip to show the movements but I didn't learn about the belief. I was fed all the propaganda through mass media and I was convinced that all Muslim men oppressed their wives and hit their children. They were all violent and didn't hesitate to kill.

In my last year of college I had a big passion for science and I was ready to hit the working scene. An international career or at least some international experience was needed to improve my English and get an advantage over fellow job hunters. I ended up in Boston and was faced with four Muslims. At that point I didn't know who Muhammad was and I didn't know that Allah was the same god as "God". I started asking questions and reading books, but most importantly, I started socializing with Muslims.

I never had any friends from another country before (let alone another religion). All the people that I knew were Swedish. The Muslims that I met were wonderful people. They accepted me right away and they never forced anything on me. They were more generous to me than my own family. Islam seemed to be a good system of life and I acknowledged the structure and stability it provided but I was not convinced it was for me.

One of my problems was that science contradicted religion (at least from what I knew about Christianity). I read the book "The Bible, The Quran and Science" by Maurice Bucaille and all of my scientific questions were answered! Here was a religion that was in line with modern science. I felt excited but it was still not in my heart.

I had a period of brain storming when I was thinking over all the new things I learnt. I felt my heart softening and I tried to imagine a life as a Muslim. I saw a humble life full of honesty, generosity, stability, peace, respect and kindness. Most of all I saw a life with a MEANING. I knew I had to let go of my ego and humble myself before something much more powerful than myself.

Twice, I was asked the question "What is stopping you from becoming Muslim?". The first time I panicked and my brain was blocked. The second time I thought for awhile to come up with any excuse. There was none so I said the shahada, Al-Hamdulillah.

Love,

Helena

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/helena.html

Cordoba

Ibrahim Karlsson (Sweden)

I was born in an ordinary, non-religious Swedish home, but with a very loving relationship to each other. I had lived my life 25 years without really thinking about the existence of God or anything spiritual what-so-ever; I was the role model of the materialistic man. ...

I was not at all religious, I couldn't fit God in my universe, and I had no need of any god. I mean, we have Newton to explain how the universe works, right?

Time passed, I graduated and started working. Earned some money and moved to my own apartment, and found a wonderful tool in the PC. I became a passionate amateur photographer, and enrolled in activities around that. At one time I was documenting a marketplace, taking snapshots from a distance with my telelens when an angry looking immigrant came over and explained that he would make sure I wasn't going to take any more pictures of his mum and sisters. Strange people those Muslims...

More things related to Islam happened that I can't explain why I did what I did. I can't recall the reason I called the "Islamic information organisation" in Sweden, ordering a subscription to their newsletter, buying Yosuf Ali's Qur'an and a very good book on Islam called Islam - our faith. I just did!

I read almost all of the Qur'an, and found it to be both beautiful and logical, but still, God had no place in my heart. One year later, whilst out on a patch of land called "pretty island" (it really is) taking autumn-color pictures, I was overwhelmed by a fantastic feeling. I felt as if I were a tiny piece of something greater, a tooth on a gear in God's great gearbox called the universe. It was wonderful! I had never ever felt like this before, totally relaxed, yet bursting with energy, and above all, total awareness of god wherever I turned my eyes.

I don't know how long I stayed in this ecstatic state, but eventually it ended and I drove home, seemingly unaffected, but what I had experienced left uneraseable marks in my mind. At this time Microsoft brought Windows-95 to the market with the biggest marketing blitz known to the computer industry. Part of the package was the on-line service The Microsoft Network. And keen to know what is was I got myself an account on the MSN. I soon found that the Islam BBS were the most interesting part of the MSN, and that's where I found Shahida.

Shahida is a American woman, who like me has converted to Islam. Our chemistry worked right away, and she became the best pen-friend I have ever had. Our e-mail correspondence will go down in history: the fact that my mailbox grew to something like 3 megabytes over the first 6 months tells its own tale. She and I discussed a lot about Islam and faith in god in general, and what she wrote made sense to me.

And I found the truth in myself sooner than I'd expected. On the way home from work, in the bus with most of the people around me asleep, and myself adoring the sunset, painting the beautifully dispersed clouds with pink and orange colours, all the parts came together, how God can rule our life, yet we're not robots. How I could depend on physics and chemistry and still believe and see Gods work. It was wonderful, a few minutes of total understanding and peace. I so long for a moment like this to happen again!

And it did, one morning I woke up, clear as a bell, and the first thought that ran through my brain was how grateful to God I were that he made me wake up to another day full of opportunities. It was so natural, like I had been doing every day of my life!

After these experiences I couldn't no longer deny God's existence. But after 25 years of denying God it was no easy task to admit his existence and accept faith. But good things kept happening to me, I spent some time in the US, and at this time I started praying, testing and feeling, learning to focus on God and to listen to what my heart said. It all ended in a nice weekend in New York, of which I had worried a lot, but it turned out to be a success, most of all, I finally got to meet Shahida!

At this point there was no return, I just didn't know it yet. But God kept leading me, I read some more, and finally got the courage to call the nearest Mosque and ask for a meeting with some Muslims. With trembling legs I drove to the mosque, which I had passed many times before, but never dared to stop and visit. I met the nicest people there, and I was given some more reading material, and made plans to come and visit the brothers in their home. What they said, and the answers they gave all made sense. Islam became a major part of my life, I started praying regularly, and I went to my first Jumma prayer. It was wonderful, I sneaked in, and sat in the back, not understanding a word the imam was saying, but still enjoying the service. After the khutba we all came together forming lines, and made the two 'rakaas'. It was yet one of the wonderful experiences I have had on my journey to Islam. The sincerity of 200 men fully devoted to just one thing, to praise God, felt great!

Slowly my mind started to agree with my heart, I started to picture myself as a Muslim, but could I really convert to Islam? I had left the Swedish state-church earlier, just in case, but to pray 5 times a day? to stop eating pork? Could I really do that? And what about my family and friends? I recalled what Br. Omar told me, how his family tried to get him admitted to an asylum when he converted. Could I really do this? ...

But what really made a change was a text I found in Great Britain, a story of a newly converted woman with feelings exactly like mine. 12 hours is the name of the text. When I had read that story, and wept the tears out of my eyes I realized that there were no turning back anymore, I couldn't resist Islam any longer.

Summer vacation started, and I had made my mind up. I had to become a Muslim! But after all, the start of the summer had been very cold, and if my first week without work was different, I wouldn't lose a day of sunshine by not being on the beach. On the TV the weatherman painted a big sun right on top of my part of the country. OK then, some other day... The next morning; a steel grey sky, with ice-cold gusts of wind outside my bedroom window. It was like God had decided my time was up, I could wait no longer. I had the required bath, and dressed in clean clothes, jumped in my car and drove the 1 hour drive to the mosque.

In the Mosque I approached the brothers with my wish, and after dhuhr prayer the Imam and some brothers witnessed me say the Shahada. Alhamdulillah! And to my great relief all my family and friends have taken my conversion very well, they have all accepted it, I won't say they were thrilled, but absolutely no hard feelings. They can't understand all the things I do. Like praying 5 times a day on specific times, or not eating pork meat. They think this is strange foreign customs that will die out with time, but I'll prove them wrong. InshaAllah!

http://www.geocities.com/embracing_islam/karlsson.html