• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Monarchy?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Celebrities, artists, athletes? Why do we need a monarch to be a cultural icon?

People like it,some people don’t of course,there’s pageantry and lots of history,a tourist magnate,some glamour into peoples lives,I’m not keen on “defender of the faith” stuff though,I guess the monarchy are like very expensive pets in a way but in times of trouble are a rally point.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yes that's two countries. France and Germany are two more.

True but they are only going to be remembered by their politics although I think Charley will be like his father stepping over the line,I’ve been to Germany and France many times but never to see their leaders but many tourists come to the UK just for a glimpse of royalty,I apologise if any tourists bump into a politician though,I mean who wants to see Liz Truss.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Then it seems like there's no point in calling them a monarch? Since they perform none of the functions of an actual monarch. Seems purely vestigial as @MikeF noted.
If you want a clearer view of what a monarch could do and how their actions can have impact, look at the vice-regal representatives in the former colonies (mostly Governors-General, but also Lieutenant Governors). They wield the powers of the monarch when the monarch isn't present, so anything they do is something a monarch could do if the monarch felt like it.

Powers that sound small but have had real impact:

- the power to choose a government and a Prime Minister. If one party has a majority, this is straightforward, but in a multi-party situation where no party has a majority, the monarch can exercise discretion: do they choose the party with the most MPs? A coalition of two (or more) parties that promise to work together? The monarch has discretion.

- the power to prorogue Parliament... i.e. declare the parliamentary session done because Parliament has completed its business. Again, usually routine, but there have been cases where Prime Ministers have asked for prorogation to stop a commission into government wrongdoing or kill a confidence motion that would have defeated the government, and the monarch or GG has granted it (despite it being misused, IMO).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
True but they are only going to be remembered by their politics although I think Charley will be like his father stepping over the line,I’ve been to Germany and France many times but never to see their leaders but many tourists come to the UK just for a glimpse of royalty,I apologise if any tourists bump into a politician though,I mean who wants to see Liz Truss.

That's interesting that people come there just to glimpse of royalty. I know there are some Americans who go ga-ga over British royalty, but I could never understand it. If I was a tourist in the UK, I'd probably want to see other things, like the Cave of Caerbannog and maybe the Gorge of Eternal Peril. ;)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
That's interesting that people come there just to glimpse of royalty. I know there are some Americans who go ga-ga over British royalty, but I could never understand it. If I was a tourist in the UK, I'd probably want to see other things, like the Cave of Caerbannog and maybe the Gorge of Eternal Peril. ;)

I don’t get it either but it brings money into the country,windsor is busy with tourists especially in the summer because of the castle where the Queen lived most of the time.

If I went to America I would want to see the Grande canyon,the Little Bighorn where Custer was defeated and go see a New England patriots game

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I don’t get it either but it brings money into the country,windsor is busy with tourists especially in the summer because of the castle where the Queen lived most of the time.
Yeah, but I have a feeling t that if we kicked the Royals out, opened up Windsor more to the public and maybe put in a tacky gift shop, it would probably bring far more money into the country. The palace of Versailles gets about twice as many visitors annually as Windsor does, and we all know what happened to the French monarchy.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yeah, but I have a feeling t that if we kicked the Royals out, opened up Windsor more to the public and maybe put in a tacky gift shop, it would probably bring far more money into the country. The palace of Versailles gets about twice as many visitors annually as Windsor does, and we all know what happened to the French monarchy.

Lol yes,Madame guillotine,they spoiled Versailles with the silly glass pyramid but inside Versailles itself it is stunning.

I personally think the best chance royalty has of surviving would be with William but who knows,they are still popular so until people feel the need to throw them out which I doubt it’s business as usual.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Lol yes,Madame guillotine,they spoiled Versailles with the silly glass pyramid but inside Versailles itself it is stunning.

I personally think the best chance royalty has of surviving would be with William but who knows,they are still popular so until people feel the need to throw them out which I doubt it’s business as usual.
This is probably true. There has been an increase in anti-monarchy sentiment with Charles (which everyone knew would happen), but so far it seems to have manifested as a kind of silent, embittered resentment to him as an individual rather than any genuine Republican sentiment.

I'm worried we're still a way off. And I sadly do think that speaks badly to us as a country.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

So, it's kind of like a British Disneyland?

If I went to America I would want to see the Grande canyon,the Little Bighorn where Custer was defeated and go see a New England patriots game

Well, I live in the Grand Canyon State, but I live about five hours away from there. My friend just did a hike from the North Rim to the South Rim a few weeks ago. Another famous hole in the ground we have here is the Titan Missile Museum. Tombstone is also a popular tourist spot.

If you go to the Little Bighorn, remember that Mt. Rushmore is only about 5 hours away. That's a must see.

Trump-asked-for-his-face-to-be-added-to-Mount-Rushmore-7cdd.jpg

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
This is probably true. There has been an increase in anti-monarchy sentiment with Charles (which everyone knew would happen), but so far it seems to have manifested as a kind of silent, embittered resentment to him as an individual rather than any genuine Republican sentiment.

I'm worried we're still a way off. And I sadly do think that speaks badly to us as a country.

Let’s face it,he will never be forgiven because of Diana but as you say there’s no threat to them yet.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
So, it's kind of like a British Disneyland?

Well, I live in the Grand Canyon State, but I live about five hours away from there. My friend just did a hike from the North Rim to the South Rim a few weeks ago. Another famous hole in the ground we have here is the Titan Missile Museum. Tombstone is also a popular tourist spot.

If you go to the Little Bighorn, remember that Mt. Rushmore is only about 5 hours away. That's a must see.

Trump-asked-for-his-face-to-be-added-to-Mount-Rushmore-7cdd.jpg

Hahahaha,you gotta love agent orange,Washington looks like he disapproves of his company.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

They may be popular in the UK; less so in the colonies.

Commonwealth Realms were already turning into republics at a steady clip with Elizabeth on the throne; I expect the rate to only increase with Charles.