• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why No Major Western Religions?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Not many people now, but the earth has been around and humans have lived in it for a very long time. At one point, these were major religions and they came from the West.
Which? I mean, which reached the heights of modern day monotheisms, or Zoroastrianism or Dharmic religions?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Which? I mean, which reached the heights of modern day monotheisms, or Zoroastrianism or Dharmic religions?
Rome and Greece (but especially Rome) reached really, really far and so did their religions at one point.

By the way, other than on this forum, I don't hear about Zoroastrians. Are you a Zoroastrian?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Rome and Greece (but especially Rome) reached really, really far and so did their religions at one point.

By the way, other than on this forum, I don't hear about Zoroastrians or Dharmics.
You know many Dharmics here.

Some people call it Hinduism.

Zoroastrianism was a huge religion for hundreds of years over the Persian and Rome Empires.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Who is worshipping in these temples today? Now?

Why go to the bother of going to a Roman temple when you can celebrate Saturnalia at pretty much any Christian church?

Christianity is pretty syncretic. It incorporated many "western" elements: Roman religious celebrations, pagan gods (as saints), etc.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know about today, but I spent much of my youth worshipping at the local Dionysus temple...
The US has a much greater religious spread, I find.

I can't even find Eastern Catholic Churches here.

(London doesn't count).

All these niche religions have a US following not found in the UK.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Anyway, there aren''t many Zoroastrians out there now, though there may have been more in historical times.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Near, Middle, and Far East are all Eastern, tho.
I suppose it's a matter of perception and where one lives on this globe. Near East was the former term for the Middle East. The Middle East and the (Far) East seem culturally unrelated, as a broad generalisation. How about East Anglia?!

HonestJoe

Why are all major religions from the East?
East of what exactly? It would be easier to understand if you recognise that region as more the centre, from where a lot of structured society happened to develop from (for a whole range of geographic, practical and random reasons). As those structured societies spread, they tended to absorb or wipe out the existing cultures, including religion. There were (and continue to be) all sorts of additional factors, influences and random events which led us to where we are today, but this is the underlying core of the answer to your question.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose it's a matter of perception and where one lives on this globe. Near East was the former term for the Middle East. The Middle East and the (Far) East seem culturally unrelated, as a broad generalisation. How about East Anglia?!
Given my OP specified east of the Americas and Europe, I thought it's obvious.

Northing seems good enough these days. Must all be nitpicked.

I think people here know what I mean.

Abrahamic religions are from the ME.

Dharmic religions are from India, the East.

The Dao and Confucianism are all Far Eastern.

And the West has natively.... what...?

Where are our large scale institutional religions? our ancient philosophies? Sure, Greece had some, what about the Gauls? The Slavs?

RestlessSoul

Like what?

Specifically, the narrative that Christianity was established in Europe by Roman military might.

You’re aware that the Roman Empire, a thoroughly pagan institution, was already in advanced decline by the time of Constantine’s conversion to Christianity? And that Constantine’s capital wasn’t even Rome, it was the city he named after himself, which is now known as Istanbul (in Asia Minor)?