• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not be selfish?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
:eek::faint:

"A number of Buddhist monks (including the most famous case of Thích Quảng Đức) immolated themselves in protest of the discriminatory treatment endured by Buddhists under the Roman Catholic administration of President Ngô Đình Diệm in South Vietnam" - Wikipedia, Self-Immolation.

Many self-immolations are for noble causes. To give up ones life so that others may benefit from their sacrifice is noble, if extreme. Your basically saying that those monks who give up their lives for others and for goodness do so for selfish reasons......... that leaves a repulsive taste in my mouth. Such defamation is beyond disgraceful...... :facepalm: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:
You cannot choose to do something without it being a selfish cause. Therefore, unless those monks were selfless or mindlessly living, they were being selfish in their self-immolation.

You seem to have a habit of twisting goodness into some corrupted form of selfishness. The only person you are fooling is yourself.

:mad:
I am not twisting anything. I am merely stating a fact: all willed actions are selfish. What you call "doing good" is selfish.

It is you who seems to be twisting selfishness into something immoral or evil.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
IMO, altruism is just treating everything with equal respect and acceptance.

"Love others as yourself."

This can only go so far in reality as it is hard to love your enemy but it can be done. Loving your enemy is where it could be dangerous which leads me more to respecting equally when they deserve it but that isn't really selfishness or altruism.

Look up the definition, it implies that you should love others MORE than yourself.

The Sum of Awe

not what I'm calling nonsense on. I'm calling nonsense on the idea that altruism is denying yourself and that being a negative thing.

Definition:

The belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.

Disinterested and selfless concern, that means denying yourself.

You see altruistic religions denying the self as well, Buddhists saying that there is no "I", Hindus saying similar, etc

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Definition:

Disinterested and selfless concern, that means denying yourself.

You see altruistic religions denying the self as well, Buddhists saying that there is no "I", Hindus saying similar, etc

Doesn't mention sacrificial giving so it doesn't imply denial of self. In my view denial of self is sacrificial. Also I'd say that altruism is selfish as people give altruistically to get a different type of pleasure.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Look up the definition, it implies that you should love others MORE than yourself.
I'd go more with what someone else mentioned about not expecting anything in return. I also want to note that if you treated somebody as yourself you'd be willing to give them your car, your house, food and what not, you don't think that is altruistic? I also mentioned loving your enemy, how can you love your enemy and expect anything good to come of it, loving your enemy is close to actually doing harm to yourself.

The Sum of Awe

Doesn't mention sacrificial giving so it doesn't imply denial of self. In my view denial of self is sacrificial. Also I'd say that altruism is selfish as people give altruistically to get a different type of pleasure.

As I pointed out it does mention denial of the self, which is sacrificial without using the word sacrificial.

You do not do things for yourself if it is altruistic, thus it cannot be selfish.

There's a fine line between helping and altruism

9Westy9

Premium Member
As I pointed out it does mention denial of the self, which is sacrificial without using the word sacrificial.

You do not do things for yourself if it is altruistic, thus it cannot be selfish.

There's a fine line between helping and altruism

How do you define denial of the self? I think we should make this clear before continuing

The Sum of Awe

How do you define denial of the self? I think we should make this clear before continuing

Because the action you are taking is an action that is done for other people in a selfless manner, it doesn't matter what happens to you because you done it for another, which is completely selfless and thus denies the self.

Such as, jumping infront of a train to save someone.

It's completely evil and destructive.

9Westy9

Premium Member
Because the action you are taking is an action that is done for other people in a selfless manner, it doesn't matter what happens to you because you done it for another, which is completely selfless and thus denies the self.

so any selfless act denies the self? Also your definition of denial of the self does not imply sacrifice, at least not in a bad way. In fact acting selfishly can also be sacrificial. It's sacrificing the pleasure of helping someone for the pleasure of helping yourself.

Any less extreme examples?

I disagree. Destructive to the self yes, but definitely not destructive and evil to the whole.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

Your example is selfish unless they did it by accident.

The Sum of Awe

so any selfless act denies the self?
That's the meaning of the word "self" "less", the lack of self, denying the self.

Also your definition of denial of the self does not imply sacrifice, at least not in a bad way.
Does not matter, denial of the self is always evil.

In fact acting selfishly can also be sacrificial. It's sacrificing the pleasure of helping someone for the pleasure of helping yourself.

But if you get pleasure from it at all, it is not altruism, hence the word "selfless" in the definition.

I disagree. Destructive to the self yes, but definitely not destructive and evil to the whole.

And we are not a whole and should never be a whole, we disagree on everything as a whole, therefore there can only be individualism.

What happens to my friends does not matter to me for morality is based only pleasure and pain. Pleasure is good and pain is bad. We all have different pleasures and pains, therefore what is pleasureful to you is good to you, and just because a friend experiences pain (bad) does not mean you do, thus it is not bad when your friend experiences pain, it's only bad to him.

That is why there's only individuality.

9Westy9

Premium Member
Does not matter, denial of the self is always evil.

According to you.

But if you get pleasure from it at all, it is not altruism, hence the word "selfless" in the definition.

you dodged my point. Selfish actions are just as sacrificial. You either sacrifice a or b.

And we are not a whole and should never be a whole, we disagree on everything as a whole, therefore there can only be individualism.

We're a social species whether you like it or not.

What happens to my friends does not matter to me for morality is based only pleasure and pain. Pleasure is good and pain is bad. We all have different pleasures and pains, therefore what is pleasureful to you is good to you, and just because a friend experiences pain (bad) does not mean you do, thus it is not bad when your friend experiences pain, it's only bad to him.

I feel pain when a friend is hurt or when a friend is taken from me. People close to you influence your feelings more than I think you realise. At least that's what I take from the last paragraph

That is why there's only individuality.

a genius who works by himself can be surpassed by people who work together and share knowledge. Being an individual is good but learning team work is far more important.