• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Satanism?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Granted I don't know much at all about this LHP. But it strikes me as odd that someone who rejects the authenticity of the Bible would acknowledge any aspect of it as truth.

So what made you decide that the Bible is based on reality at all, or enough to accept that the Satan character is actually real? And actually is God? Did you ever consider that maybe the whole Bible is fiction and that neither the God of the Bible or Satan exist?

In addition, is there a Satanist scripture that dates back to ancient history or is this a really new religion/idea? If it is quite new, what makes you think it is real?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Granted I don't know much at all about this LHP. But it strikes me as odd that someone who rejects the authenticity of the Bible would acknowledge any aspect of it as truth.

So what made you decide that the Bible is based on reality at all, or enough to accept that the Satan character is actually real? And actually is God? Did you ever consider that maybe the whole Bible is fiction and that neither the God of the Bible or Satan exist?

In addition, is there a Satanist scripture that dates back to ancient history or is this a really new religion/idea? If it is quite new, what makes you think it is real?

Those who have been hurt by religion may naturally choose God's supposed opposite, Satan.

How else are you going to get back at religious family members who have chosen religion over their own child?

jasonwill2

It has very little truth from a literal view point, but obviously some stuff in it happened as it was written in a historical context and recorded many Jewish traditions.

So what made you decide that the Bible is based on reality at all, or enough to accept that the Satan character is actually real? And actually is God?
Who said we decided that? Who said that Satan is god? I think you will see there is much more to it than you initially thought. Satanism is super diverse and many different Satanic religions. You can't transfer the beliefs of one over to the other as easily.

A new religion and idea essentially, though some people think the Al Jilwah was written by Satan, oddly enough, but there are a lot of Satanists, such as in this link, that disagree with that:

Relevance Of The Al-Jilwah In Satanism | From a Theistic Satanist

overall on your question:

"The internet has increased awareness of different views among Satanists, and led to more diverse groups. But Satanism has always been a pluralistic and decentralised religion.[43] Scholars outside Satanism have sought to study it by categorizing forms of it according to whether they are theistic or atheistic[44] and referred to the worship of the Devil as traditional Satanism or theistic Satanism.[1] It is generally a prerequisite to being considered a theistic Satanist that the Satanist accept a theological and metaphysical canon involving one or more God(s) who are either Satan in the strictest, Abrahamic sense, or a concept of Satan that incorporates gods from other religions (usually pre-Christian), such as Ahriman. Some Theistic Satanists believe in Satan as the All, a force filling the universe.[45] Many Theistic Satanists believe their own individualized concept based on pieces of all these diverse views of Satan, according to their inclination and spiritual guidance, rather than only believe in one suggested interpretation. Some may choose to live out the myths and stereotypes, but Christianity is not always the primary frame of reference for Theistic Satanists.[46] Their religion may be based on dark pagan, left hand path and occult traditions. Theistic Satanists who base their faith on Christian ideas about Satan may be referred to as “Reverse Christians” by other Satanists, often in a pejorative fashion.[47] However, those labeled by some as “reverse Christians” may see their concept of Satan as not diluted or sanitized. They worship a stricter interpretation of Satan: that of the Satan featured in the Christian Bible.[48] This is not, however, shared by a majority of Theistic Satanists. Wiccans may consider most Satanism to be reverse Christianity,[49] and the head of the atheistic Church of Satan, Peter H. Gilmore, considers “devil worship” to be a Christian heresy, that is, a divergent form of Christianity.[50] The diversity of individual viewpoints within Theistic Satanism, while being a cause for intense debates within the religion, is also often seen as a reflection of Satan, who encourages individualism.[51]"
source: Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diane Vera's site, a commentator of Satanism and a hethnotheistic polytheist:

(these next three links)

The varieties of theistic ("traditional") Satanism

Who and what is Satan? Various Satanist reinterpretations

FAQ about theistic ("traditional") Satanism in general

Those dogmatic atheists who say we are not real Satanists and only they are:

LaVeyan Satanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Church of Satan: The Official Web Site

special mention, Temple of Set:

https://xeper.org//

Balanone's Temple of Set FAQ

[see my next post for a continuation]

Last edited:

jasonwill2

My own personal writings I revealed earlier today, oddly enough on this exact same thing. It's part of my third draft for a book of mine on Satanism for personal reference when I'm in a pinch and forget stuff:

JASONWILL2'S PERSONAL HOLY BOOK (C)
(By jasonwill2 =p)
The Book of Mundane
(5 books in all)
Chapter One Excerpt

"The first point in answering this question is that ALL Satanists reject Christian Theology. Now, there is a known but perpetually small minority of de-converted fundamentalists who accept the cosmology of Christianity, but otherwise reject the Theology; to them Satan is a hero comparable to sects of Gnosticism, who was cast down for his outcry against tyranny, and who has some chance of defeating God. Most Satanists in this group either move onto other religions, convert back to Christianity, or more rarely, branch out into more accurate forms of Satanism. Extremely few people in this category keep such terrifying beliefs for very long.

That is the closest any form of Satanism ever gets to "Reverse Christianity", but it is hardly the blood, gore, worshiping of evil, and orgies spoken of in pop culture, mass media, and raving preachers. Dare I say, that Satanism is MUCH more blasphemous than that. It outright rejects Christianity's Holy Bible.

Satanism is SO blasphemous, that it allows the individual the autonomy to decide the very nature of God(s) and Satan for themselves. In fact, the majority of Satanists are atheists. These are typically the ones who call themselves "modern" or less often, "LaVeyan" (LaVeyan Satanists refer to themselves as just "Satanists"). A lesser, but sizeable and growing majority however, are Theistic."

[A bit' later]

"Which brings us to this commonality between all Satanists. Satanists are very fascinating people. They are the pure heart of mankind; the rawest and most honest expression of the individual in 'spiritual' terms. Satanists are Satans at heart, accusers, adversaries, and oppositional. The dividing factor however, is knowing which Satanists were "born" and which ones were "made"."

Book of Mundane

Chapter Three Excerpt

"If Christianity is so demonstrably wrong, why do people believe in it? And why do I choose to venerate a deity based on a religion I deny? For one, Satan is also in Judaism and Islam. Satan is in a number of religions. Satanism is not contradictory for taking a diety from another religion, I am simply taking one common idea and giving it an antithesis. Satan varies widely between these three religions. Given I have some of the same figures, is Satanism a Christian Herasy? If so, Christianity must be a Jewish Heresy, and Islam must be a some Heresy of both Christianity and Judaism, as well Judaism is probably a heresy of some pagan religion ad nausem! My reasons for choosing the title of "Satan" for God are both diverse and intertwined. Understanding Satan is to understand yourself, but to understand yourself, you need to develop ideas and symbol that most easily and concisely translate what is otherwise impossible to articulate. This does cause problems. For those who are inflexible about definitions, it can hard to explain how you completely twist and distort their common idea of something as simple as "Satan". Though in many ways, my twisting and disorting is an actual return to Jewish roots, with a more general and wider approach. Satan to me, is more true to what the word actually means. I am a Satan, Christians are Satans, even my own political affiliation, The American Democratic Party, are Satans! Everyone is Satanic, and everyone is a *********** loud-mouthed judge and enemy to someone else. People judge, and people fight and argue, disagree. Sometimes they even kill each other over resources, making them opposing forces vying for survival. Competition and conflict is inevitable in a finite world."

jasonwill2

I find this funny that this is in the debate section as if the OP wants to argue with us instead of understand us. How typical.

Those who have been hurt by religion may naturally choose God's supposed opposite, Satan.

How else are you going to get back at religious family members who have chosen religion over their own child?

Take your obvious ignorance else where, plox? oh, or read my posts I just made and make an intelligent argument that doesn't quantify us into some emotional reason for our philosophies that isn't presumptive as what you just said.

EDIT: I am going any second, and may not be back for several days. No internet at my residence (or power, stupid storms), and so I may not be able to reply for some time. However I'll try my best to come back in 36 hours.

Last edited:

Super Universe

Defender of God
I find this funny that this is in the debate section as if the OP wants to argue with us instead of understand us. How typical.

Take your obvious ignorance else where, plox? oh, or read my posts I just made and make an intelligent argument that doesn't quantify us into some emotional reason for our philosophies that isn't presumptive as what you just said.

EDIT: I am going any second, and may not be back for several days. No internet at my residence (or power, stupid storms), and so I may not be able to reply for some time. However I'll try my best to come back in 36 hours.

Maybe she posted it in this forum because she wants a discussion that allows for some debate between those posting.

I read your posts, you talk about Satanists in general terms but that leaves out why YOU chose it. The original post does ask "...what made YOU decide that the Bible or Satan exist?"

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I find LHP kind of odd and way too focused on a religion and deity that is likely fictitious. Some of the participants seem to broaden the scope by utilizing aspects from other pantheons such as Set.

But considering the dominance of Christianity on the western world, I'm not surprised a movement like this exists. Yahweh in the Bible is depicted as someone who has directed genocides in a generally malevolent manner. Satan's character has had very little appearance, and therefore relatively minimal malevolence. By some Jews, he's interpreted merely as an instrument of god and not as some adversary. By Christians, his character is generally enlarged to included the serpent in Eden (even though it's never refereed to as Satan/Lucifer), and he's depicted as some arch-enemy of Yahweh, god of this pantheon. But the serpent merely convinced Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge (which would widely be considered an admirable encouragement), and the Satan character merely existed as an advocate for the idea that mankind only followed Yahweh because of his blessings (in the case of the test of Job; one of the more morally and culturally complex and interesting parts of the Bible). So I find it unsurprising that a more insightful reading would view Yahweh as malevolent and the serpent and Satan as more rational characters in (what I consider to be) a clearly fictitious myth.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
In what way?

Associating science with atheism is very popular among the atheist community. Comparing evolution and creation is another one. Heck, whenever I read an article about astronomy, I almost never see a commentary free from extremely open atheists.

I'm not saying all atheists are this way, in the same way not all LHPers associate with religious metaphysics, but a lot of them do.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find LHP kind of odd and way too focused on a religion and deity that is likely fictitious.

I find many atheists who claim to be scientists just the same.

In what way?

Associating science with atheism is very popular among the atheist community. Comparing evolution and creation is another one. Heck, whenever I read an article about astronomy, I almost never see a commentary free from extremely open atheists.

I'm not saying all atheists are this way, in the same way not all LHPers associate with religious metaphysics, but a lot of them do.
So what do you view atheists as being way too focused on, that is fictitious?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just making sure you know I'm not saying all atheists.

But basically: Religion, God, Myth, etc.
Well I'm not really seeing much of an argument here. I pointed out that significant portions of LHP are rather focused on the idea that much of this Satan/Yahweh thing is true (which echoes the point of the OP), although pointed out that there are indeed some references to other pantheons.

Saying that atheists are too focused on "Religion, God, Myth" is too broad and not much of an argument.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well I'm not really seeing much of an argument here. I pointed out that significant portions of LHP are rather focused on the idea that much of this Satan/Yahweh thing is true (which echoes the point of the OP), although pointed out that there are indeed some references to other pantheons.

Saying that atheists are too focused on "Religion, God, Myth" is too broad and not much of an argument.

Ah misread you then, didn't know you meant many LHP are focused that the idea of it is true, I thought you meant they were just focused on it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ah misread you then, didn't know you meant many LHP are focused that the idea of it is true, I thought you meant they were just focused on it.
There are theistic and non-theistic Satanists/Luciferians. Plus Setians.

If non-theistic ones use the Bible stories as a myth, then that's interesting, but still largely tied to that region, and therefore localized. They broaden their concept somewhat by merely referring to the ideas as archetypes, but those that are most familiar with those religions will be the ones for which those archetypes are most powerful and relevant.

If theistic ones use the Bible stories as largely true, then they're just as tied to the idea that the Bible is a reasonably historical view of events as the Christians are.

Erebus

This is an area of interest to me, since Satanism in it's modern incarnation dates back only to the 60's. Prior to that it becomes very difficult to distinguish genuine accounts of Satanism and Christian Propaganda. Certainly some of the old grimoires deal primarily with invoking Satan and his Demons, but even then it's always done in the name of God and with control rather than worship in mind.
However, if we take Satan to simply be an "anti-God" it opens up a lot of interesting avenues to explore. Tales of evil sorcerers in the service of their culture's anti-god date back to (at least) Zoroastrianism. Furthermore over the years many previously benevolent gods were labelled wicked and their followers were ostracized. Set and the Greco-Roman gods are perhaps the most famous examples of this.
With that in mind it is certain that over the years there have been followers of a particular culture's "Satan", though their reasons for worshiping an ill-favoured deity were probably very different from today's Satanists.

I apologize if this is all a bit garbled, it's a hideously complex subject. Sifting through the fact and fiction is anything but easy and I've read enough on the subject for it all to melt into an amorphous mass in my brain ;)

Erebus

I find LHP kind of odd and way too focused on a religion and deity that is likely fictitious.

Personally I see this as a "phase" for a lot of people on the LHP (and yes I feel dirty just saying that). Rebellion is exciting, fun, challenging and draining. If you're looking for self mastery it makes sense to burn up the various inhibitions and fears a religious upbringing may have given you by turning that religion on its head. It's an odd experience to praise Satan despite a Christian upbringing and it can bring a tremendous sense of relief (or send people running, it depends).
Now while getting rid of your inhibitions and redefining your moral compass invariably requires evacuating your comfort zone entirely, there is also the trap of getting stuck in a rut. Some people may need more time than others to work through their RHP baggage, but others seem to end up rebelling against Christianity long after it's fulfilled its purpose.