• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Scientists Mostly Reject Spirituality

Watchmen

Premium Member
Despite the human capacity to reason and think logically, disbelievers make it their mission to disregard God and religion, so their critical thinking skills are hidden.
“Disbelievers make it their mission to disregard God.” Uhhh….no. I think you failed the critical thinking test on that one.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
“Disbelievers make it their mission to disregard God.” Uhhh….no. I think you failed the critical thinking test on that one.
I know that disbelievers do not make it their mission to disregard God. :rolleyes:
I was only being facetious, a tit for tat kind of thing. ;)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Spirituality deals with the qualitative properties of the inner experience if it's a worthy spirituality. That takes introspective objectivity, and years of experience in relation to self, environment, and others. Analyzing qualitative reality based on inner experience is elusive, and is mainly the pursuit of spirituality.

Analyzing quantitative properties, and external behaviors with evidence, math and logic that are observable, and measurable is the strength of science. Qualitative reality is not.

There's no reason to marry science with spirituality.

osgart

There's also no reason to divorce science from spirituality. :)
As a method of inquiry they are totally different. Of course if you want to marry them in the sense of how you apply science to ethical, and moral dilemmas then why not. :).

However, there's a lot of bad spirituality out there.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As a method of inquiry they are totally different.
Yes, they are totally different.
Of course if you want to marry them in the sense of how you apply science to ethical, and moral dilemmas then why not. :)
I do not want to marry them in the sense of applying science to ethical, and moral dilemmas, since that is not the purview of science.
I fully agree, and there is also some bad science.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As a method of inquiry they are totally different. Of course if you want to marry them in the sense of how you apply science to ethical, and moral dilemmas then why not. :).

1. What do you mean by "spirituality"?

2. How is it a method of inquiry?

osgart

1. What do you mean by "spirituality"?
1) Inner experience of being
2. How is it a method of inquiry?
2) Understanding one's own inner experience from being objective about one's own subjective experience. Seeing about what exists and what wisdom can be learned from one's own inner experience. Meditation, introspection, asking questions, and attempting to relate to self and others. Trying to understand the language of emotions. Learning about the existence of one's own character traits, self identity, etc.

osgart

do not want to marry them in the sense of applying science to ethical, and moral dilemmas, since that is not the purview of science.
Applying wisdom, morals and ethics from a spiritual understanding to guide why, and what is done in science. That's what I meant!