• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Shouldn't Feminism Exist?

PureX

Veteran Member
So the increased competition for jobs is why feminism should not exist? Understood.
I'm merely posing a possible reason someone might claim that feminism is no longer needed. I believe there are a lot of men in this country that resent feminism because they feel it caused them to be humiliated economically. It doesn't matter whether we like this or even agree with it. This is how they feel, and why they resent what they perceive to be the 'feminist agenda'. Their traditional male role as the family breadwinner has been degraded to a great degree by women going to work, taking their jobs, and leaving them feeling a bit lost and confused, and as a result, resentful. It's partly why they like Trump and his openly degrading attitude toward women.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes there are some real nut-jobs all over the place between the feminist and anti-feminist spectrum. Would getting rid of feminism cure this, or would they still be nut-jobs?
I never said that we should "get rid of" feminism. I'm just weighing in on why many might see it in a negative light.
There's nothing wrong with that--it's sexual harrassment and abuse that is toxic and offensive.
Of course, there should be no tolerance for harassment, assault, abuse, etc. but if a pimply face teen pops a chub from seeing polygonal boobies on some video game, many let out a shrill cry as they reach for their torches and pitchforks.

There was an incident a few years ago where a scientist was giving an interview about landing a probe on a comet, but that historic achievement became overshadowed by the outcry over his shirt which featured illustrations of bikini clad women. While the shirt may have been in bad taste, feminists continued to harass him even long after they had shamed him into giving a tearful apology.

Displaying open disdain for freedom of speech/expression and holding a vindictive thought police mentality isn't a good away to achieve equality in my opinion. You want to cultivate empathy and understanding, not resentment.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I never said that we should "get rid of" feminism. I'm just weighing in on why many might see it in a negative light.
OK. Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking for why some people say "feminism is cancer" and why they want to get rid of it.

Of course, there should be no tolerance for harassment, assault, abuse, etc. but if a pimply face teen pops a chub from seeing polygonal boobies on some video game, many let out a shrill cry as they reach for their torches and pitchforks.
lol

There was an incident a few years ago where a scientist was giving an interview about landing a probe on a comet, but that historic achievement became overshadowed by the outcry over his shirt which featured illustrations of bikini clad women. While the shirt may have been in bad taste, feminists continued to harass him even long after they had shamed him into giving a tearful apology.
I disagree with unreasonably harassing men for the way they dress as much as I disagree with unreasonably harassing women for how they dress. I agree, harassing this guy over this was unreasonable.

Displaying open disdain for freedom of speech/expression and holding a vindictive thought police mentality isn't a good away to achieve equality in my opinion. You want to cultivate empathy and understanding, not resentment.
Oh, I agree. I say let everyone speak (according to the spirit of free speach,) critique the ideas worthy of critique, and allow the closed-minded idiots/nutjobs to expose themselves for what they are.

crossfire

Premium Member
I'm merely posing a possible reason someone might claim that feminism is no longer needed. I believe there are a lot of men in this country that resent feminism because they feel it caused them to be humiliated economically. It doesn't matter whether we like this or even agree with it. This is how they feel, and why they resent what they perceive to be the 'feminist agenda'. Their traditional male role as the family breadwinner has been degraded to a great degree by women going to work, taking their jobs, and leaving them feeling a bit lost and confused, and as a result, resentful. It's partly why they like Trump and his openly degrading attitude toward women.
Fair enough.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
If you don't zealously support equal rights for women, which rights are the ones that you don't see as a priority?

I support equal rights for everyone.

But let's break down that word, zealotry.

zeal·ot·ry
/ˈzelətrē/
noun
  1. fanatical and uncompromising pursuit of religious, political, or other ideals; fanaticism.
    "he expressed concern about religious zealotry playing an increasing role in politics"
    synonyms: fanaticism, zeal, zealousness, extremism, radicalism, militancy, dogmatism,
    zeal·ot·ry

/ˈzelətrē/

noun

fanatical and uncompromising pursuit of religious, political, or other ideals; fanaticism.

"he expressed concern about religious zealotry playing an increasing role in politics"

synonyms:fanaticism, zeal, zealousness, extremism, radicalism, militancy, dogmatism, bigotry, single-mindedness; vehemence,forcefulness
    "religious zealotry could lead to communal tension"
    , single-mindedness;
    vehemence,forcefulness
Explain to me anything good about that definition.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I support equal rights for everyone.

But let's break down that word, zealotry.

zeal·ot·ry
/ˈzelətrē/
noun
  1. fanatical and uncompromising pursuit of religious, political, or other ideals; fanaticism.
    synonyms: fanaticism, zeal, zealousness, extremism, radicalism, militancy, dogmatism,
    zeal·ot·ry

/ˈzelətrē/

noun

fanatical and uncompromising pursuit of religious, political, or other ideals; fanaticism.

synonyms:fanaticism, zeal, zealousness, extremism, radicalism, militancy, dogmatism, bigotry, single-mindedness; vehemence,forcefulness
    , single-mindedness;
    vehemence,forcefulness
Explain to me anything good about that definition.
Uncompromising support of human rights is a good thing. Don't you agree?

Which human rights don't you think should be supported uncompromisingly?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Uncompromising support of human rights is a good thing. Don't you agree?

Which human rights don't you think should be supported uncompromisingly?

No, because that is a fabrication zealots tell themselves and everyone else to justify their terrible actions.

Compromise and equality go hand in hand.

Equality requires compromise from everyone for everyone everyone benefit.

crossfire

Premium Member
No, because that is a fabrication zealots tell themselves and everyone else to justify their terrible actions.

Compromise and equality go hand in hand.

Equality requires compromise from everyone for everyone everyone benefit.
Are you sure equality is the word you want to use there?
The4thPanel_Kit.jpg

Enoch07

Premium Member

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I explained my point fairly well. When women went to work they took a lot of the jobs that men were doing, and they were willing to work for less money, driving all wages down. Now they occupy a whole segment of the job market between labor and upper management creating a kind of wall that men have difficulty crossing.

Isn't the obvious solution to this to demand that women be paid equally to men for equal work?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Rote Zora - Wikipedia

Bombing and arson to begin with.

I disagree. There is no equality if only one side makes demands, but refuses to compromise at all. That sounds like an authoritarian dictatorship to me, there is no equality in a system like that.
So let me get this straight: you think that to get full equal rights for women, it's necessary to compromise - i.e. accept second-class status - and this will somehow result in getting full rights from people who don't want to give them up?

Interesting approach. Not reasonable or good, but interesting.

Enoch07

Premium Member
So let me get this straight: you think that to get full equal rights for women, it's necessary to compromise - i.e. accept second-class status - and this will somehow result in getting full rights from people who don't want to give them up?

Interesting approach. Not reasonable or good, but interesting.

How do you equate compromise with making someone second class?

If 1 party compromises and the other does not like you intend it to be then someone becomes second class yes, but it's not women, its everyone else.

But if both parties compromise that's called cooperation and is equality.

Equality is a 2 way street. It flows in both directions.

You only want it to flow in 1 direction. That is not equality that is supremacy.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I can't believe we live in a world now where compromise is considered a bad thing. Let that sink in and think about that the next time y'all wanna complain about anything wrong in the world.

crossfire

Premium Member
I can't believe we live in a world now where compromise is considered a bad thing. Let that sink in and think about that the next time y'all wanna complain about anything wrong in the world.
What do you think about compromising with terrorists?

dianaiad

Feminists do Exist, and until equality becomes a reality will continue to do so.
They are more part of the answer, than part of the problem.

If you think equality is the problem you are a misogynist, and definitely part of the problem.

If that is addressed to me, you missed the mark by a lot.

I can't BE a misogynist. Not physically possible. ;)