• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why shouldn't people be allowed to live wherever they choose?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
If I want to live in Dublin, Durban, Dallas or Duabai in the morning why should I not be allowed to do so?
Why do you think you're entitled to utterly unhindered movement across the borders of sovereign nations? Surely you have the right to determine who may and may not enter your house? Well, so do nations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If I want to live in Dublin, Durban, Dallas or Duabai in the morning why should I not be allowed to do so?

Because it is not so simple. There are limits on how much the infrastructure built on any given place can handle. Overpopulation brings a set of problems.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Because it is not so simple. There are limits on how much the infrastructure built on any given place can handle. Overpopulation brings a set of problems.

Why don't those limits apply to wealthy people?

It is so simple. One believes in freedom or one doesn't.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Er... you can. You can do whatever you want, provided you're capable of getting there.

Whether or not you do so legally is another matter.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why don't those limits apply to wealthy people?

It is so simple. One believes in freedom or one doesn't.

Because governments want them to spend money in their country. Money equals freedom in a materialistic world.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Maybe in a perfect world that would be fine. I am an American and can live in any city in America that starts with 'D' (or any other letter I fancy).

But for the order of society and the world the masses of lets say people from third world countries just moving to first world countries would at this time be detrimental to both the third world (brain drain) and first world countries. So, at this point in world development, we need immigration policy (which does not allow unrestricted movement across the globe).