• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so many religions.....

ellenjanuary

Oh most definietly not, but I think religion is the longest standing one..... Can't we all just get a long....?

Not in a closed system of finite resources.

But! Through the Glory of Gwyneth Paltrow... Kidding. But mathematical theology is partly based upon entropy being the engine of creation, rather than the destroyer of all as is generally assumed. It is my contention that the discrete functioning of entropy is driving information towards the infinite... sorry, what's all that gospel about? We gotta start thinking bigger than just being a single species of tool-using monkey on a single, obscure ball of mud. Book says, god created the heavens and the earth? What are we waiting for? We got the earth, now, let us go get us some heavens. Then, we'll know what's what.

Tathagata

Freethinker
There are different religions because the founder(s) of each religion had their own separate philosophy and different conclusions about reality.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why are there so many religions? I would say that is obvious. There are a lot of different people living in different parts of the world. Different people have different wants and needs. I mean, someone living in a rain forest is going to have different needs than someone living among ice and snow.

Tathagata

Freethinker
Why are there so many religions? I would say that is obvious. There are a lot of different people living in different parts of the world. Different people have different wants and needs. I mean, someone living in a rain forest is going to have different needs than someone living among ice and snow.

How does that explain why various religions were formed? Are you saying that someone decided that they needed a soul to live forever, and then decided to create a religion that believed in souls?

I really don't get what you're trying to say.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
How does that explain why various religions were formed? Are you saying that someone decided that they needed a soul to live forever, and then decided to create a religion that believed in souls?

I really don't get what you're trying to say.

I wasn't trying to say ice and snow and rain forests made different religions, I am saying that people are different. That was one example. Different people have different ideas and experiences with God. :shout

McBell

Admiral Obvious
My wonder is don't we look a little silly having 300 (made up number) religions, and if there is a god, then 299 of them are wrong. Does this not seem a bit ridiculous?? People are dying over these silly views, wars are started over this difference in views.
Yeah, especially when you stop and look at the over 30,000 different versions/sects/denominations of Christianity alone....

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Over the weekend I got to thinking, like I always do.

I wonder, how come there are so many different religions. I mean I understand why, different cultures, different areas of the world and so on. However we are all aware of these other religions. Each proclaims their own messiah and message and god. Many are very similair.

My wonder is don't we look a little silly having 300 (made up number) religions, and if there is a god, then 299 of them are wrong. Does this not seem a bit ridiculous?? People are dying over these silly views, wars are started over this difference in views.

Why do we continue to allow ourselves to get pulled apart as humans, to be diveresed religious people? We are all humans and all want to survive for generations to come. At this rate, we won't survive another mellenium.... I mean semantics is what this is all over......:facepalm:

I figure if people can't really identify and confirm collectively on something, God or whatever, of which in most cases such is claimed to be obvious and all-powerful, there is really no such a thing to begin with.

At least it demonstrates that collectively, there are a number of human beings who simply have no clue as to what is actually going on as evidenced and proven through splits and division, and consequently are so utterly confused in that new variations and gods are consistently invented and/or rehashed to try to explain it all away. An attempt at futility and definitely silly to observe.

It would actually turn my head should a religion ever occur in the same consensus that the Sun radiates heat, and the wind blows stuff around.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress

I wonder, how come there are so many different religions. I mean I understand why, different cultures, different areas of the world and so on. However we are all aware of these other religions. Each proclaims their own messiah and message and god. Many are very similair.

Why do we continue to allow ourselves to get pulled apart as humans, to be diveresed religious people? We are all humans and all want to survive for generations to come. At this rate, we won't survive another mellenium.... I mean semantics is what this is all over......:facepalm:

Instead of "I think therefore I am," it actually is, "I think therefore I am confused."

lololol.....

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Religions are not made "right" or "wrong" due to their dogma, but rather due to their actual teachings and their results. All religions are a mix of valid and invalid, regardless of whether there is any god or what he might like.

I don't think people generally get shaped by their religious beliefs a whole lot, however. It can happen, and it can get ugly, but it fortunately isn't at all a common occurrence. More often than not people bend and shape their beliefs to fit their emotional tendencies instead, even if it doesn't necessarily end up in adoption of a whole different religion.

On the other hand, it sure is disheartening to see how little effort current religious leaders employ in actually making their faiths valid and healthy. I wish they were more serious about their religions.

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist

I was explaining it on another thread but will repeat again

Many people have a misconception that Islam is a new religion that was formulated 1400 years ago, and that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was the founder of Islam. However, let me clarify that Islam is not the name of some unique religion presented for the first time by Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who should, on that account be called the founder of Islam.

The Qur’an states that Islam the complete submission of man before his one and only Unique Creator , is the one and only faith and way of life consistently revealed by God to humankind from the very beginning. Noah, Solomon, David, Abraham, Moses, Isaac and Jesus (peace be upon them all)

Prophets who appeared at different times and places – all propagated the same faith and conveyed the same message of Tawheed (Oneness of God), Risaalat (Prophethood) and Aakhirah (the Hereafter). These prophets of God were not founders of different religions to be named after them. They were each reiterating the message and faith of their predecessors. Ie

Jesus(pbuh) was also a Muslim , he said 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God . The term Christianity was invented after many years of Jesus(pbuh) death.

However, Muhammad (pbuh) was the last Prophet of God.God revived through him the same genuine faith which had been conveyed by all His Prophets. This original message was earlier corrupted and split into various religions by people of different ages, who indulged in interpolations and admixture. These alien elements were eliminated by God, and Islam – in its pure and original form – was transmitted to humankind through Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Since there was to be no messenger after Muhammad (pbuh), the Book revealed to him (i.e. the Glorious Qur’an) was preserved word for word so that it should be a source of guidance for all times.

"There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in taghut (false gods and false worship) and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.Allah is the Wali (Protector or Guardian) of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into light. But as for those who disbelieve, their Auliya (supporters and helpers) are Taghut [false gods and false worship.], they bring them out from light into darkness. Those are the dwellers of the Fire, and they will remain there forever." Quran 2:257

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I was explaining it on another thread but will repeat again

Many people have a misconception that Islam is a new religion that was formulated 1400 years ago, and that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was the founder of Islam. However, let me clarify that Islam is not the name of some unique religion presented for the first time by Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who should, on that account be called the founder of Islam.

The Qur’an states that Islam the complete submission of man before his one and only Unique Creator , is the one and only faith and way of life consistently revealed by God to humankind from the very beginning. Noah, Solomon, David, Abraham, Moses, Isaac and Jesus (peace be upon them all)

Prophets who appeared at different times and places – all propagated the same faith and conveyed the same message of Tawheed (Oneness of God), Risaalat (Prophethood) and Aakhirah (the Hereafter). These prophets of God were not founders of different religions to be named after them. They were each reiterating the message and faith of their predecessors. Ie

Jesus(pbuh) was also a Muslim , he said 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God . The term Christianity was invented after many years of Jesus(pbuh) death.

However, Muhammad (pbuh) was the last Prophet of God.God revived through him the same genuine faith which had been conveyed by all His Prophets. This original message was earlier corrupted and split into various religions by people of different ages, who indulged in interpolations and admixture. These alien elements were eliminated by God, and Islam – in its pure and original form – was transmitted to humankind through Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Since there was to be no messenger after Muhammad (pbuh), the Book revealed to him (i.e. the Glorious Qur’an) was preserved word for word so that it should be a source of guidance for all times.

"There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in taghut (false gods and false worship) and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.Allah is the Wali (Protector or Guardian) of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into light. But as for those who disbelieve, their Auliya (supporters and helpers) are Taghut [false gods and false worship.], they bring them out from light into darkness. Those are the dwellers of the Fire, and they will remain there forever." Quran 2:257
And yet Islam is also split up into numerous sects/versions/denominations....

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
And yet Islam is also split up into numerous sects/versions/denominations....
Islam means submission to God , to become a Muslim you don't have to follow any sect.

IF you read Quran Sectarianism is detested by Allah(swt) in Al'Quran:

-3:103 And hold fast, all together, unto the bond with God, and do not create sects amongst you.
-3:105 And be not like those who have drawn apart from one another and have taken to conflicting views after all evidence of the truth has come unto them: for these it is for whom tremendous suffering is in store
-6:159 VERILY, as for those who have broken the unity of their faith and have become sects - thou hast nothing to do with them. Behold, their case rests with God: and in time He will make them understand what they were doing.

If a some Muslims doesn't follows Quran , it there fault not Islam's

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Islam means submission to God , to become a Muslim you don't have to follow any sect.

IF you read Quran Sectarianism is detested by Allah(swt) in Al'Quran:

-3:103 And hold fast, all together, unto the bond with God, and do not create sects amongst you.
-3:105 And be not like those who have drawn apart from one another and have taken to conflicting views after all evidence of the truth has come unto them: for these it is for whom tremendous suffering is in store
-6:159 VERILY, as for those who have broken the unity of their faith and have become sects - thou hast nothing to do with them. Behold, their case rests with God: and in time He will make them understand what they were doing.

If a some Muslims doesn't follows Quran , it there fault not Islam's
And yet the fact is that there are numerous sects of Islam.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is a bit disheartening to see how little of Islam's virtues manages to manifest itself in actual practice involving actual people. It feels like Islam is the proverbial end of the rainbow: ever desired, never attained. From a practical perspective it might as well not exist.

arun

Sri Ramakrishna practiced all the major religions and came to the conclusion that all of them are different paths to the same God.And in Hinduism there are two sides ,the theory which teaches there is God,soul,reincarnation etc.. and the practicals which is Raja-Yoga .Raja-Yoga requires no belief.We should believe in God when we see him.It's the science which explores our inner nature and the final goal is to come face to face with God or Brahma.Till then there is no need to believe in God.The final step is called Samadhi or Super-consciousness.Sri Ramakrishna attained Samadhi by this practical religion of Raja-Yoga and it helped him to find the same truth in all religions.

More on Raja-Yoga as the practical religion.

These are some excepts from 'My Master' written by Swami Vivekananda who was a disciple of Sri Ramakrishna:

After attaining Samadhi,Sri Ramakrishna decided to practice other religions.

" The next desire that seized upon the soul of this man (Sri Ramakrishna) was to know the truth about the various religions. Up to that time he had not known any religion but his own. He wanted to understand what other religions were like. So he sought teachers of other religions. By teachers you must always remember what we mean in India, not a bookworm, but a man of realisation, one who knows truth a; first hand and not through an intermediary. He found a Mohammedan saint and placed himself under him; he underwent the disciplines prescribed by him, and to his astonishment found that when faithfully carried out, these devotional methods led him to the same goal he had already attained. He gathered similar experience from following the true religion of Jesus the Christ. He went to all the sects he could find, and whatever he took up he went into with his whole heart. He did exactly as he was told, and in every instance he arrived at the same result. Thus from actual experience, he came to know that the goal of every religion is the same, that each is trying to teach the same thing, the difference being largely in method and still more in language. At the core, all sects and all religions have the same aim; and they were only quarrelling for their own selfish purposes — they were not anxious about the truth, but about "my name" and "your name". Two of them preached the same truth, but one of them said, "That cannot be true, because I have not put upon it the seal of my name. Therefore do not listen to him." And the other man said, "Do not hear him, although he is preaching very much the same thing, yet it is not true because he does not preach it in my name."

That is what my Master found, and he then set about to learn humility, because he had found that the one idea in all religions is, "not me, but Thou", and he who says, "not me", the Lord fills his heart. The less of this little "I" the more of God there is in him. That he found to be the truth in every religion in the world, and he set himself to accomplish this. As I have told you, whenever he wanted to do anything he never confined himself to fine theories, but would enter into the practice immediately; We see many persons talking the most wonderfully fine things about charity and about equality and the rights of other people and all that, but it is only in theory. I was so fortunate as to find one who was able to carry theory into practice. He had the most wonderful faculty of carrying everything into practice which he thought was right. "

arun

These are some excepts from 'My Master' written by Swami Vivekananda emphasizing the unity of religions:

" This man(Sri Ramakrishna) came to live near Calcutta, the capital of India, the most important university town in our country which was sending out sceptics and materialists by the hundreds every year. Yet many of these university men — sceptics and agnostics — used to come and listen to him. I heard of this man, and I went to hear him. He looked just like an ordinary man, with nothing remarkable about him. He used the most simple language, and I thought "Can this man be a great teacher?"— crept near to him and asked him the question which I had been asking others all my life: "Do you believe in God, Sir?" "Yes," he replied. "Can you prove it, Sir?" "Yes." "How?" "Because I see Him just as I see you here, only in a much intenser sense." That impressed me at once. For the first time I found a man who dared to say that he saw God ,that religion was a reality to be felt, to be sensed in an infinitely more intense way than we can sense the world. I began to go to that man, day after day, and I actually saw that religion could be given. One touch, one glance, can change a whole life. I have read about Buddha and Christ and Mohammed, about all those different luminaries of ancient times, how they would stand up and say, "Be thou whole", and the man became whole. I now found it to be true, and when I myself saw this man, all scepticism was brushed aside. It could be done; and my Master used to say, "Religion can be given and taken more tangibly, more really than anything else in the world." Be therefore spiritual first; have something to give and then stand before the world and give it. Religion is not talk, or doctrines, or theories; nor is it sectarianism. Religion cannot live in sects and societies. It is the relation between the soul and God; how can it be made into a society? It would then degenerate into business, and wherever there are business and business principles in religion, spirituality dies. Religion does not consist in erecting temples, or building churches, or attending public worship. It is not to be found in books, or in words, or in lectures, or in organisations. Religion consists in realisation. As a fact, we all know that nothing will satisfy us until we know the truth for ourselves. However we may argue, however much we may hear, but one thing will satisfy us, and that is our own realisation; and such an experience is possible for every one of us if we will only try. The first ideal of this attempt to realise religion is that of renunciation. As far as we can, we must give up. Darkness and light, enjoyment of the world and enjoyment of God will never go together. "Ye cannot serve God and Mammon." Let people try it if they will, and I have seen millions in every country who have tried; but after all, it comes to nothing. If one word remains true in the saying, it is, give up every thing for the sake of the Lord. This is a hard and long task, but you can begin it here and now. Bit by bit we must go towards it.

The second idea that I learnt from my Master, and which is perhaps the most vital, is the wonderful truth that the religions of the world are not contradictory or antagonistic. They are but various phases of one eternal religion. That one eternal religion is applied to different planes of existence, is applied to the opinions of various minds and various races. There never was my religion or yours, my national religion or your national religion; there never existed many religions, there is only the one. One infinite religion existed all through eternity and will ever exist, and this religion is expressing itself in various countries in various ways. Therefore we must respect all religions and we must try to accept them all as far as we can. Religions manifest themselves not only according to race and geographical position, but according to individual powers. In one man religion is manifesting itself as intense activity, as work. In another it is manifesting itself as intense devotion, in yet another, as mysticism, in others as philosophy, and so forth. It is wrong when we say to others, "Your methods are not right." Perhaps a man, whose nature is that of love, thinks that the man who does good to others is not on the right road to religion, because it is not his own way, and is therefore wrong. If the philosopher thinks, "Oh, the poor ignorant people, what do they know about a God of Love, and loving Him? They do not know what they mean," he is wrong, because they may be right and he also.

To learn this central secret that the truth may be one and yet many at the same time, that we may have different visions of the same truth from different standpoints, is exactly what must be done. Then, instead of antagonism to anyone, we shall have infinite sympathy with all. Knowing that as long as there are different natures born in this world, the same religious truth will require different adaptations, we shall understand that we are bound to have forbearance with each other. Just as nature is unity in variety — an infinite variation in the phenomenal — as in and through all these variations of the phenomenal runs the Infinite, the Unchangeable, the Absolute Unity, so it is with every man; the microcosm is but a miniature repetition of the macrocosm; in spite of all these variations, in and through them all runs this eternal harmony, and we have to recognise this. This idea, above all other ideas, I find to be the crying necessity of the day. Coming from a country which is a hotbed of religious sects — and to which, through its good fortune or ill fortune, everyone who has a religious idea wants to send an advance-guard — I have been acquainted from my childhood with the various sects of the world. Even the Mormons come to preach in India. Welcome them all! That is the soil on which to preach religion. There it takes root more than in any other country. If you come and teach politics to the Hindus, they do not understand; but if you come to preach religion, however curious it may be, you will have hundreds and thousands of followers in no time, and you have every chance of becoming a living God in your lifetime. I am glad it is so, it is the one thing we want in India.

We have to recognise that each one of them has the same saving power as the other. What you have heard about their difference, whether in the temple or in the church, is a mass of superstition. The same God answers all; and it is not you, or I, or any body of men that is responsible for the safety and salvation of the least little bit of the soul; the same Almighty God is responsible for all. I do not understand how people declare themselves to be believers in God, and at the same time think that God has handed over to a little body of men all truth, and that they are the guardians of the rest of humanity. How can you call that religion? Religion is realisation; but mere talk — mere trying to believe, mere groping in darkness, mere parroting the words of ancestors and thinking it is religion, mere making a political something out of the truths of religion — is not religion at all. In every sect — even among the Mohammedans whom we always regard as the most exclusive — even among them we find that wherever there was a man trying to realise religion, from his lips have come the fiery words: "Thou art the Lord of all, Thou art in the heart of all, Thou art the guide of all, Thou art the Teacher of all, and Thou caress infinitely more for the land of Thy children than we can ever do." Do not try to disturb the faith of any man. If you can, give him something better; if you can, get hold of a man where he stands and give him a push upwards; do so, but do not destroy what he has. The only true teacher is he who can convert himself, as it were, into a thousand persons at a moment's notice. The only true teacher is he who can immediately come down to the level of the student, and transfer his soul to the student's soul and see through the student's eyes and hear through his ears and understand through his mind. Such a teacher can really teach and none else. All these negative, breaking-down, destructive teachers that are in the world can never do any good.

This is the message of Shri Ramakrishna to the modern world: "Do not care for doctrines, do not care for dogmas, or sects, or churches, or temples; they count for little compared with the essence of existence in each man which is spirituality; and the more this is developed in a man, the more powerful is he for good. Earn that first, acquire that, and criticise no one, for all doctrines and creeds have some good in them. Show by your lives that religion does not mean words, or names, or sects, but that it means spiritual realisation. Only those can understand who have felt. Only those who have attained to spirituality can communicate it to others, can be great teachers of mankind. They alone are the powers of light."

The time has come for renunciation, for realisation, and then you will see the harmony in all the religions of the world. You will know that there is no need of any quarrel. And then only will you be ready to help humanity. To proclaim and make clear the fundamental unity underlying all religions was the mission of my Master. Other teachers have taught special religions which bear their names, but this great teacher of the nineteenth century made no claim for himself. He left every religion undisturbed because he had realised that in reality they are all part and parcel of the one eternal religion. "

Wombat

My wonder is don't we look a little silly having 300 (made up number) religions, and if there is a god, then 299 of them are wrong. Does this not seem a bit ridiculous?? People are dying over these silly views, wars are started over this difference in views..

May I suggest a process of 'Classification'.....?

Begining perhaps with Living Religious Traditions and dead faiths?

i.e. Sort them out into those religions that have zero-no significant following and those that are major living faiths.

If you have any faith in the 'common sense' of humanity and/or its capacity to, eventually, work out decent/valuable products from Snake Oil and dross...this might be a good starting point.

A kind of global review of the religion products to see which ones humanity has deemed worthy of preservation;)

I would be interested to see what you came up with....and if it numbered near 300:D

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
May I suggest a process of 'Classification'.....?

Begining perhaps with Living Religious Traditions and dead faiths?

i.e. Sort them out into those religions that have zero-no significant following and those that are major living faiths.

If you have any faith in the 'common sense' of humanity and/or its capacity to, eventually, work out decent/valuable products from Snake Oil and dross...this might be a good starting point.

A kind of global review of the religion products to see which ones humanity has deemed worthy of preservation;)

I would be interested to see what you came up with....and if it numbered near 300:D
That could be an interesting side project...... I am sure there are more than 300 though... One time I won 111 fireballs in 6th grade. Now idea how I guessed 111...