• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the divide between Science and Religion...

khalou

The reason for the conflict between science and religion is historically apparent.

It is helpful to go back to a time when there was no such conflict. Science was the philosophy of understanding reality where reality included God (or gods).

It is apparent in the ancient philosopher's treatment of the great questions of truth. Such mental exercises tried to use what is "known" in order to surmise what is not yet known. It was also mentioned that every premise is flawed- that every axiomatic "given" is determined by an observer with a particular perspective, but we do the best that we can. :) But in every case, the God or gods were never questioned as to their existence.

Galileo wasn't the first time that observation seemed to go against "known" premises, but it was perhaps the most famous. Even in his case, there was no intent to question the existence of a god, and he said so himself. The Church wasn't really as harsh as some say either- almost, but not quite. They wished to see his proof, to also observe what he was proposing before allowing him to go about telling others about it. Things were very different then, and the Church was, after all, the government in every practical way.

Fast foreword to Darwin. Here was a description of the speciation of the planet that went against even the ancient philosophers' "known" reality. But, like the church, science would withhold acceptance of these ideas until they had been also observed. Still- there was no real divide between science and religion. That comes later. But it was what one might call an "important event" in the process that led to what we have today.

Fast foreword to Piltdown Man. Science was convinced by their (remember this from above?) "use what is "known" in order to surmise what is not yet known" ideology that man evolved from an ape ancestor to modern man by first developing a superior brain.

This is important! What science was doing at the time was that they were relying on their own beliefs about things, and were looking for proofs of those beliefs in reality in support of those beliefs!

So they went looking for a fossil that was ape-like, but that had a larger brain.

The scientific method as it exists today had not yet been adopted. Interestingly, Intelligent Design scientists use this exact method! (But that's another post)

So some shyster made up a "fossil" that met the criteria. He found fame and fortune.

Here's the sad part- In South Africa, another scientist had discovered fossils that showed that man had evolved, not by virtue of a larger brain at first, but by the simple, yet all-important ability to stand upright. This man never got credit for his discovery because of the biased nature of what was expected.

One day, someone thought about the problem and decided to actually test the Piltdown Man fossils. They were found to be incredibly ridiculous forgeries almost immediately!

Thanks to many scientific philosophers, like Karl Popper, the scientific method we have today was born. Karl Popper insisted in no predetermined expectation and falsification of every scientific theory. The idea was finally developed that the process of science is NOT to determine what is true, but to try and prove false every idea in science. This is why the scientific definition of "theory" is what it is. I might want to scientifically proclaim that my hair is brown, but I can only say that it is a theory subject to further review. That's the best I can do.

In almost every science vs religion debate I have ever read, the religious point to occurrences in science that were totally mistaken because of the bias of the scientists faith. But all occurred before the scientific method was established.

It is now quite impossible for any scientific idea to gain any kind of credibility without millions of other scientists trying to disprove it. Evolution is no different. the discovery of DNA could have falsified evolution. There have been so many discoveries since Darwin that could easily have falsified evolution in just about every scientific discipline we have, and yet, each discovery only supports it.

Is science willing to call evolution "truth"? After all of the mountains of evidence in favor, personally they probably are. But they will not use that language in their papers, because their papers must remain scientific.

So what caused the rift between religion and science?

What caused the problem between the church and Galileo? The church had a preconceived notion about the solar system, and evidence to the contrary was presented, and shown to be true.

It is the scientific method that makes any attack against the claims of science absolutely bullet-proof. It was not developed in order to fight against religion or any such nonsense as that. It was developed in order to insure the integrity of discovery.

If certain religious interpretations of what God has done are found to be false, as has happened many times over and has never happened the other way, then these scientific observations aren't to blame, nor is God.

God cannot have had anything against the idea that the earth revolves around the sun. He could NOT have. The earth DOES revolve around the sun, and if God made it that way, He can only be pleased that human beings know it.

The religious that were so vehement about the fact that the earth is the center of the solar system were NOT defending their God, or their religion. They were defending their own interpretation.

In closing (finally) there is no divide between science and religion except that some religious people have decided that there is somehow something wrong with the way God made things. Formerly, they had something against not having the earth in the center of the universe. God seems to have disagreed that that was a problem.

k

murdocsvan

i see the debate between religion and science as being something along the lines of someone saying "i like blue more than tuesday" :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In closing (finally) there is no divide between science and religion except that some religious people have decided that there is somehow something wrong with the way God made things. k
What God? What soul? Such religions are in for a big correction.

green gia writes that:

"""I continue to believe passionately that science and religion are compatible. Individually we may be more comfortable with one approach or another, but we can still recognize that any one approach is limited and needs others. We can rejoice in what they accomplish together."""

If the old religions were compatable with our secular ideals and with science's natural cause and effect, wouldn't that be nice? We would have both; we could believe anything and everything, superstition and accurate science all at once. We could have world unity and all be happy . . .

But in the real world, we left the Old Religion in proportion to the secular ideals and science that we traded it in for. Then, during the last century, social theorists grew concerned about the growing instability of Christian (European) society. They saw that the bloody French Revolution and the uprising of the American colonies as a terrible threat to all of Christendom. This concern gradually brought the Age of Enlightenment to and end; no more Voltair. It was time to compromise. So, they did. They compromised Christianity into the palid thing you and others believe; and they compromised science. This is why the social sciences are so useless and in such bad repute. All scientists look down on sociologists, for example. Brilliant students in the universities go into other fields. Social theory is riddled with rationalizing which serves what you propose. All you achieve is to compromise both; that makes both unstable and unsatisfactory. It is no wonder that our secular world leadership is now in such low esteem and world problems are growing out of control.

MBones

Charles,

Yes. You are right. Many feared Science and we are now paying the costs. We should have a cure for cancer, but we don't. Why???? Because it may mean taking steps that don't agree with current theism. And why shouldn't superstitions trump Science....

rojse

RF Addict
I am often dismayed at how religious people protest against ideas that could save lives, but are considered immoral by religions. Stem cell research, for one, uses unborn foetuses. I can see why there are moral problems with this, but let's not debate purely on religious terms, because no one can really win a religious debate, because there is no way a religious person can recant their beliefs.

There are a few other scientific areas that I could name, that all have huge potential. Genetic engineering. Cloning. Many other areas of research that are being closed off due to religious problems.

DeepShadow

White Crow
You are STILL lumping all religions together, and playing to the lowest common denominator. I could do the same with atheism...but I won't because it's fallacious.

rojse

RF Addict
I am not deliberately trying to lump all religions together, I have just found that there are multiple religions that have problems with these ideas.

I have often said, and I will say it again, that not all religious people do the things I dislike about religion.

I don't want to name certain religions, because then this would merely descend into an argument that no one would win. Add to that that I would almost certainly miss some religions in my accusation, and there would be arguments over that, too.

If you told me that that does not happen at all, or it was merely confined to one particular group, and presented some sort of proof for this, I would be more than happy to apologise.

DeepShadow

White Crow
I am not deliberately trying to lump all religions together, I have just found that there are multiple religions that have problems with these ideas.

I have often said, and I will say it again, that not all religious people do the things I dislike about religion.

Then you don't have a problem with religion, you have a problem with small-mindedness, or bigotry, or whatever. If you acknowledge that these things don't have to be synonymous with religion, then you are drawing a distinction between what you don't like and what you are associating it with. Or do you only have a problem with these things when they are associated with religion? Is it okay for an atheist to reject progress or make false assumptions?

Otherwise I could say, "I know that not all black people are drug-crazed gang members, but I dislike ALL blacks because a significant portion of them are like that." In that case, I have a problem with gangs and drugs, and I need to leave blacks out of it. Otherwise I'm just trying to use them to cover my racism, and doing a bad job of it at that.

andys

Andys
The following quote makes NO sense: (from a previous post)
"I would define an extremist as one who has tunnel vision and refuses to accept that there is any validity in a belief that is contrary to his/hers."
Hmm, I guess that means you should accept that there is some validity in my belief that the moon is made of Swiss cheese—or else you're an extremist!
Regarding the topic of Science vs Religion, I see this as analogous to the separation of Church and State. The two make dangerous bed fellows.
Science seeks to discover facts that will explain our universe and everything in it. It is the established method of research in which a hypothesis, formulated after a systematic, objective collection of data, is tested empirically. This rigid scientific method is designed to eliminate subjectivity at every stage of the process. All knowledge gained, even the most established theory, is open to revision or rejection at any time, should new evidence be discovered. In sharp contrast to this honorable pursuit, enter religion. Here we have a belief system that is not only completely nonfactual, indefensible, and arbitrary, it is self declared and self interested. Its purpose is to maintain a doctrine, usually based on the word of a supernatural being who demands adherence to certain rules and behavior.
There would be no problem with religion and science coexisting if the former could avoid certain of its necessary "truths" from being exposed as lies. For 600 years, right up to the mid 19th century, the Catholic church murdered and exiled innocent people who did not conform to its orthodoxy. Those who dared to advance scientific truth were condemned as enemies of the church and dealt with harshly. Galileo is a famous example.
Nothing has changed today except, fortunately, these lunatics are no longer in control of the state and its police force. Regrettably, scientific knowledge and its promise to enhance the quality of life, continue to be under attack. Stem cell research and the Theory of Evolution are only two examples. There can never be a reconciliation between science and religion for the simple reason that religion is akin to a living organism—it will do anything to maintain its own survival. It will defend itself against anything or anyone that it perceives to be a threat. The abhorrent attempt to cover-up sexual child abuse by clergy is a recent example. Religion cares nothing about knowledge, truth or even morality. Religion is not only incompatible with science, it is its worst enemy. In the name of all the countless victims who suffered the atrocities waged throughout history against science and humanity, in the name of "religion", let us be vigilant against this smiling damned villain.

DeepShadow

White Crow
In sharp contrast to this honorable pursuit, enter religion. Here we have a belief system that is not only completely nonfactual, indefensible, and arbitrary, it is self declared and self interested. Its purpose is to maintain a doctrine, usually based on the word of a supernatural being who demands adherence to certain rules and behavior.

Once again, someone who lumps all religions together. Popular fallacies are still fallacies.

There would be no problem with religion and science coexisting if the former could avoid certain of its necessary "truths" from being exposed as lies.

Same goes for the latter. One could also say they could coexist better if small-minded people on both sides would stop stretching their shosen sphere of influence outside itself.

For 600 years, right up to the mid 19th century, the Catholic church murdered and exiled innocent people who did not conform to its orthodoxy. Those who dared to advance scientific truth were condemned as enemies of the church and dealt with harshly. Galileo is a famous example.

Hogwash. First, the Catholic church was not defending its orthodoxy, it was defending Artistotelian philosophy, and thus was overextending itself--see above. Moreover, Galileo was a devout theist, so he is hardly the champion of science over religion. Quite the contrary, he claimed to know God's thoughts better, and hoped to set others straight. History does not conform to such cut and dried examples.

Nothing has changed today except, fortunately, these lunatics are no longer in control of the state and its police force. Regrettably, scientific knowledge and its promise to enhance the quality of life, continue to be under attack. Stem cell research and the Theory of Evolution are only two examples.

Two examples that are defended by some religionists even as they are attacked by others. Nice to see you throw mud at your own allies.

There can never be a reconciliation between science and religion for the simple reason that religion is akin to a living organism—it will do anything to maintain its own survival. It will defend itself against anything or anyone that it perceives to be a threat. The abhorrent attempt to cover-up sexual child abuse by clergy is a recent example. Religion cares nothing about knowledge, truth or even morality.

Now you're just invoking meme theory, but the problem is that all memes are like this. Should we just stop thinking? Or perhaps we should stop communicating and passing on our thoughts? Good memes survive, just like good genes. History will bear out which of our memes is superior, but let me just remind you that I've seen as many or more atheists bent on memocide as religionists.

Religion is not only incompatible with science, it is its worst enemy. In the name of all the countless victims who suffered the atrocities waged throughout history against science and humanity, in the name of "religion", let us be vigilant against this smiling damned villain.

Sorry, I'm already engaged in conflict with the real villains: bigotry, narrow-mindedness, etc. As far as I'm concerned, people who lump all religions into the "evil" pile are no better than ones that lump all of a single race into such a pile. It's bigotry, and I'm against it.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Science seeks to discover facts that will explain our universe and everything in it. It is the established method of research in which a hypothesis, formulated after a systematic, objective collection of data, is tested empirically. This rigid scientific method is designed to eliminate subjectivity at every stage of the process.

How much subjectivity is really eliminated?

DeepShadow

White Crow

The controls he speaks of are/can be fully enforced in only a few "pure" sciences. That's what allows tobacco institute scientists to argue the way they do: we can't run a proper scientific test without assigning someone the number of packs they are going to smoke a day...which is unspeakably inethical.

Even in the purest sciences, there are still ways that subjectivity can creep in. Social psychology has long wrangled with the Zeitgeist problem: how do we choose what will be studied? The variables that lead to a topic of study are dizzying, and many a wise scientist has dismissed a topic as unstudyable or unworthy of study before a great genius comes along and breaks it open. Thus, subjectivity arguably retains the greatest level of control possible in scientific thought.

Guitar's Cry said:
It depends on the experiment or study you are talking about. If we're talking about string theory or astrobiology, there's a lot of controversy and speculation. If we're talking about the basics of germ theory, evolution, and atomic theory then there is not much subjectivity.

If a drug is administered to a test group of rabbits infected with virus X, and all the other rabbits die within 2 days of getting the virus except the test group, which lives on until their natural life expectancy, and if multiple disinterested parties reproduce these findings, then clearly that drug is effective in fighting virus X. I don't see how controlled, reproducible experiments like this can be called subjective in any fair sense of the word.

DeepShadow said:
The controls he speaks of are/can be fully enforced in only a few "pure" sciences. That's what allows tobacco institute scientists to argue the way they do: we can't run a proper scientific test without assigning someone the number of packs they are going to smoke a day...which is unspeakably inethical.

Even in the purest sciences, there are still ways that subjectivity can creep in. Social psychology has long wrangled with the Zeitgeist problem: how do we choose what will be studied? The variables that lead to a topic of study are dizzying, and many a wise scientist has dismissed a topic as unstudyable or unworthy of study before a great genius comes along and breaks it open. Thus, subjectivity arguably retains the greatest level of control possible in scientific thought.
I absolutely, 100% agree with what you are saying here, DeepShadow. And yet, it is quite remarkable that scientific investigations have generated vaccines, antibiotics, computers, cell phones, interplanetary spacecraft, artificial hearts, refrigerators, microwaves, electricity, and so many other technologies that we take for granted. I cannot think of any non-scientific method of investigating the real world that has been so successful in producing technologies that work in the real world. As someone who has been actively doing scientific research, I have no doubt that there is *some* subjectivity in all science, especially in the frontiers of science.....but reality is very unforgiving, and a cell phone that ran on truly "subjective" theories of electromagnetism would probably not work very well.

DeepShadow

White Crow
I absolutely, 100% agree with what you are saying here, DeepShadow. And yet, it is quite remarkable that scientific investigations have generated vaccines, antibiotics, computers, cell phones, interplanetary spacecraft, artificial hearts, refrigerators, microwaves, electricity, and so many other technologies that we take for granted. I cannot think of any non-scientific method of investigating the real world that has been so successful in producing technologies that work in the real world.

Nor can I. OTOH, the scientific method has done a terrible job of producing decent music...or plays...or poetry...or even prose. I hate to sound like a broken record, but we've got a whole 'nuther side of the brain here, and people who insist on seeing everything through the lens of left-brained logic are IMNSHO seeing the world through half a brain.

When I speak of subjectivity due to the Zeitgeist problem, I'm not criticizing the inventions of science (at all!) but rather lamenting that there are not more of them. As an example, consider the earliest contacts between Europeans and Native Americans. The Europeans saw that the natives had bows and arrows, and thus immediatley assumed that they were inferior in technology--a bias that has lasted to this day. Why did they assume this? Because they (the Europeans) had mostly given up bows in favor of firearms. Yet the Pilgrims at Plymouth showed their native neighbors a wooden target that they thought was impervious to arrows. Instead of being impressed, one of the natives took aim and sank an arrow into it six inches deep. This was especially disconcerting for the Pilgrims because the target they had boasted about was actually impervious...to bullets. (FWIW, all facts from this scenario are recorded in the book 1491)

So there's a great example of the Zeitgeist problem: as technology progresses, we occasionally make a jump to a product that is superior in one way or another, such as the jump from bows to firearms. In doing so, we usually fail to see that there was any other way for progress to happen. In this example, the Europeans failed to realize that instead of moving from bows to firearms, it was possible to progress further to superior bows, perhaps ones that outshone firearms in one way or another.

Our assumptions that progress is linear is another kind of punctuation, as I've brought up in our other conversations, Spinkles. It's actually a very serious problem, even today. Suppose someone discovered a later offshoot of bows that was superior in a few significant ways to modern firearms--obviously not in all ways, but in a few very significant ones that would make it very suitable for certain roles, such as a sniper. Can you imagine someone going to the military and trying to convince them to use a bow instead of a gun? How many people's knee-jerk reaction would be, "We're a couple centuries ahead of that, thanks."

DeepShadow said:
Nor can I. OTOH, the scientific method has done a terrible job of producing decent music...or plays...or poetry...or even prose. I hate to sound like a broken record, but we've got a whole 'nuther side of the brain here, and people who insist on seeing everything through the lens of left-brained logic are IMNSHO seeing the world through half a brain.
Fair enough. I certainly agree that imagination, creativity, and artistic expression are valuable.