• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Turn Water Into Wine?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
So as not to derail the whole Jesus/miracle thread, I thought I'd ask here...

Why did Jesus turn water in to wine? What was the purpose? There are non-alcoholic beverages that are much healthier for you than wine. Herbal tea perhaps? Did he want to get the people at the wedding drunk? If that was the case, why not ale? Or whisky? Why would he put the good people of Cana at risk of dehydration?

Why wine?

Tomef

Why did Jesus turn water in to wine? What was the purpose? There are non-alcoholic beverages that are much healthier for you than wine. Herbal tea perhaps? Did he want to get the people at the wedding drunk? I that was the case, why not ale? Or whisky? Why would he put the good people of Cana at risk of dehydration?

Why wine?
Try serving the guests at a wedding herbal tea, especially when they’ve already had a few drinks.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I heard this song on the radio years ago, and just once, but it stated with me enough to look it up. Every time I hear Jesus's miracle of water into wine, I think of this very touching lament.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard this song on the radio years ago, and just once, but it stated with me enough to look it up. Every time I hear Jesus's miracle of water into wine, I think of this very touching lament.
My daughter performed that miracle with my ex-wife's liquor bottles years ago. About a year ago, my ex was entertaining friends at a card game and she decided to serve drinks.

Let's just say they weren't all that potent. :D

Tomef

Thanks. I should have known this.

So wine just to prevent illness from mixing different types of alcohol then?
No, wine because wine is great, and generally served at weddings.

“When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.””
‭‭John‬ ‭2‬:‭3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

God made it first anyway, according to the Bible:

“He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for people to cultivate— bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens human hearts, oil to make their faces shine, and bread that sustains their hearts.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭104‬:‭14‬-‭15‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I have to agree with the Bible here, wine is awesome.

Tomef

The ‘never mix your drinks’ came a bit later I think, when there were more to choose from. Earlier civilisations made beer, but I think wine was the main bevvy in Roman jurisdictions.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes.

The Germans were brewing beer (which they called ol, for `ale’) as early as 800 BCE.
Large quantities of beer jugs, still containing evidence of the beer, were discovered in a tomb in the Village of Kasendorf in northern Bavaria, near Kulmbach.

Spice

We were taught in Sunday School "new wine" was like grape juice. Old wine alcohol, thus the Bible passage not to put new wine in old skins, and vice versa.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox

Why did Jesus turn water in to wine? What was the purpose? There are non-alcoholic beverages that are much healthier for you than wine. Herbal tea perhaps? Did he want to get the people at the wedding drunk? If that was the case, why not ale? Or whisky? Why would he put the good people of Cana at risk of dehydration?

Why wine?

Hah, for a second there I thought this was a serious question!

Spice

Hah, for a second there I thought this was a serious question!
It is, but not of earth shattering magnitude. Do a Google query on why Jesus turned water into wine. The interpretations of the metaphor are of a rather wide variety. I stick with the logical conclusion -- the wedding coordinator, Mother Mary possibly, miss calculated the guests.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not complicated - the mythologies of a given region will reflect the environment they were woven in. I haven't taken a crash course in the history of wine and winemaking or anything but from what I recall from my studies in ethnobotany, this was a serious mainstay of the region at the era during which these myths were constructed. Tea was not. Whiskey was not. Neither was soda.