• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Turn Water Into Wine?

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
So as not to derail the whole Jesus/miracle thread, I thought I'd ask here...

Why did Jesus turn water in to wine? What was the purpose? There are non-alcoholic beverages that are much healthier for you than wine. Herbal tea perhaps? Did he want to get the people at the wedding drunk? If that was the case, why not ale? Or whisky? Why would he put the good people of Cana at risk of dehydration?

Why wine?
It tastes better than water?

You'd think it would be water with the mid-eastern temperatures spoiling everything. I watched a bottle of grape juice nearly blow up and it didn't even have yeast in it. It just spoiled and expanded and eww ... smelled real bad. I guess yeast helps or something. It definitely makes it smell better.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Is taste better than no taste? Water has no taste.
That isn't completely correct for some places I've lived or visited.

Plus, there are other things in water that are not found in wine. Safer to drink the wine in places where the water source is tainted.

Greenville, MS has water that is slightly brown. I'm told it has tannins in it, but I avoided drinking it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the only water I've ever had that lacked taste was artificially distilled with machines. Which then, paradoxically, tastes weird. I don't know how else to put it. It tastes fake or something. Like every connection it had to the greater whole - the place it came from and the relationship those waters had with the land and sky and creatures - was wrenched out of it to create some weird... fake... void... thing? Maybe I'm just sensitive to things like this. :shrug:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Shallow well water can have a variety of tastes and colors, like city tap water. However, deep well water is just pure T GOOD, though nearly impossible to find around here any more. Memories of a straight out of the well house faucet, naturally cold mug of water on a hot day!

My city grandpa went straight to the well when they drove down and drank and drank.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

Plus, there are other things in water that are not found in wine. Safer to drink the wine in places where the water source is tainted.

Greenville, MS has water that is slightly brown. I'm told it has tannins in it, but I avoided drinking it.
What you are tasting are impurities...chemicals, minerals and/or other additives. The water itself (H2O) has no taste.

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

“No one tears a piece from a new cloak to patch an old one.
Otherwise, he will tear the new
and the piece from it will not match the old cloak.
Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins.
Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins,
and it will be spilled, and the skins will be ruined.
Rather, new wine must be poured into fresh wineskins.
And no one who has been drinking old wine desires new,
for he says, ‘The old is good.’”

John writes, “For the law was given through Moses, and grace and truth came through Jesus Christ .” Moses' turning of water into red suggests judgment (Exodus 7:14-17), while Jesus' turning of water through His heart, into wine implies generosity and joy. (John 1:17)

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

wellwisher

Why did Jesus turn water in to wine? What was the purpose? There are non-alcoholic beverages that are much healthier for you than wine. Herbal tea perhaps? Did he want to get the people at the wedding drunk? If that was the case, why not ale? Or whisky? Why would he put the good people of Cana at risk of dehydration?

Why wine?
There were a couple of reasons. Bread and wine are two symbol of civilization. Unlike water, which is natural and all you do is drink, bread and wine symbolize to all the extra human manipulation of nature implicit of civilization. To make bread, you must farm the wheat, harvest, grind the seeds to make flour. You then add water, oil, salt and maybe an egg and blend. Then you kneed the dough, let iit rest, build a fire and bake. The symbolism of the body and blood of Christ; bread and wine, has a connection to modern man and civilization. It is not the natural man like Adam before the fall, but the more modern man with more needs, cares and sophistication. Jesus came for the sinners; modern man after the fall.

In terms of water and wine, in classic symbolism water symbolized thoughts, while wine symbolized spirit. The air was intuition, the earth was instinct, and the fire was emotions. When you drink alcohol, such as wine, it makes people more spontaneous and lowers inhibitions. Sober people can censor themselves easier than when you are drunk. When buzzed, what is really inside, hidden behind the mask, comes to the surface.

Turning water into wine, would symbol turning the thoughts and ideas of religion; mechanical obligations, into a more spirited awakening, where one walks the walk, and not just tall the talk; inner voice appears for applied religion. One sort of leaves the school of book learning and tests, and graduates to apply this knowledge to life; preach to all the nations needed applied religion; I became all things to all men that I can save some.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
What you are tasting are impurities...chemicals, minerals and/or other additives. The water itself (H2O) has no taste.
Yeah. Never-the-less, water can naturally have flavor in it and that varies with the location and the source of the flavoring. As long as that flavor isn't toxic or the water doesn't support too much of the wrong sort of life for comfort, it should still be OK.

Making wine or beer of it helps. A late friends that served in Viet Nam told me he drank beer so often while there, because the local water was often unfriendly.

In an aside, I accidently brushed the enter button on the number pad to the right of my keyboard and the rating I gave you disappeared. I always seem to be discovering some curiosity revealed by my clumsiness with computers, keyboards and systems.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the only water I've ever had that lacked taste was artificially distilled with machines. Which then, paradoxically, tastes weird. I don't know how else to put it. It tastes fake or something. Like every connection it had to the greater whole - the place it came from and the relationship those waters had with the land and sky and creatures - was wrenched out of it to create some weird... fake... void... thing? Maybe I'm just sensitive to things like this. :shrug:
I don't recall the water I grew up with having flavor. But I had lived with it for close to 20 years before I left and got to experience water from other places that sometimes seemed more flavorful to me.

I was raised in a place with aquifers in dolomite and calcite. Lots of calcium I would think, but little obnoxious flavor that I recognized. I've drunk from springs with water that seemed quite clean and clear and without any taste I could detect.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Why wine?
Do you think that the Galilean peasant classes could get hold of beer or whiskey? I doubt it.
If they gathered herbs for infusions, did these render the water as safe? I doubt it.
Wine was the safest way to drink, back then.

Jesus (and his Mother and friends) certainly did like their wine. The wedding reception on Cana Hilltop had presumably collected plenty of wine to drink and Jesus (and all) had drunk the lot. And it was his Mother who urged to go get more! That and the fact the rumours spread as far as Perea where John the Baptist heard about Jesus and drinking can all suggest that Jesus did like his wine.... (and good on him!)

The miracle:- It could have happened, and this is a non-theist talking! If Jesus truly was a very clever person then I can't see why he couldn't have hypnotised the boozed celebrants into thinking that water was wine....Yeah, why not? And such stories become elevated. After all, Jesus was a Nagar, the Aramaic word for handworker which also means magic-worker, the very word associated with snakes I believe.

By the way..... watching an Olympic swimming contest I heard a very excited sports commentator shout 'He's absolutely flying! blah blah...etc'
You know, Jesus could only swim so fast that he 'walked it', and one Aramaic word for swim can also be used for 'to go' and 'to walk'.
While I think that most of John's miracles are bunkum I think I could argue for every one in G-Mark.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Why wine?
It was fish and wine as that was the normal tradition at weddings. The host would have been embarrassed by running out.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Clearly he didn’t turn water into wine or perform any miracles or he would have healed every sick person in Jerusalem, which he did not, and I’m sure that would’ve been written down. He was the miracle.

Last edited:

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

The change from water into wine demonstrates Jesus' powers over all things down to the atomic level. Without the Creator's authority, nothing can change. The purpose of this miracle was explained further in John 2:11: “This, the first of His signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee and manifested His glory.

To me the logic of the miracle is: This is how How did it.

To me in logic and through faith the intelligence from the Will of the Holy Spirit Person as God through conception by the Person of the Creator, as God, in the Person of Jesus, as God becoming the Christ in all mankind for The Father.

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew
trinity.png

Last edited:

Tinkerpeach

Why wine?
It probably wasn’t wine but did turn red or some other strange color. Some documentaries explained it as possibly clay seeping into the river among other things but it was still done by God.

Those writing about it might just have assumed it was wine.

If I had to guess I’d say most miracles had common explanations since God seems to work within the laws of our universe He created.

The big point is that God times them to show his power no matter how they actually come about.

Andrew Stephen

Stephen Andrew
Premium Member
Peace to all,

So True, perhaps and in logic and in faith and truth we become from mortality and corruptibility created in the Bodies of Adam and Eve to become immortal and incorruptible to become again glorified and transfigured in the image of the Creator God for The Father as one in Being.

In logic, Moses turned the water into blood but Jesus turns the water into wine then to blood, and the blood returns from where it came through the New Wineskin in logic is the New Heaven and Earth, Heaven.

"New wine is put into new wineskins" is a parable told by Jesus in the Bible that illustrates the incompatibility of the old and the new. Old wineskins will burst with the new wine. The parable is found in Luke 5:36-39 and Matthew 9:17.

To me the parable of the wineskins confirms the logic of born again and saved through the spirit and life He "Gifted" for all mankind in the New Wineskin from the Cross. The blood and water flowed for Jesus' soul back to Heaven, and Longinus was right there in person, blind in one eye and can now see clearly with everyone present and all future disciples of Christ, when Jesus said, "Ecce Mater tua", "Disciple, Behold your Mother," for the death rebirth and resurrected life of the "First" Christ reborn and saved in the new heaven for all mankind.

To me I see the power in Matthew's word "preserved." I just wonder and in awe, Where did he get this information? We must know and in logic.

17 Neither do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”

Peace always,
Stephen Andrew

Last edited:

WonderingWorrier

In logic, Moses turned the water into blood but Jesus turns the water into wine
And in that same logic Jesus said the bread is the flesh, and the wine is the blood. So water into wine and water into blood could be seen as doing exactly the same thing, since the wine is the blood. It is logical.