• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was Jesus necessary?

uumckk16

adilrockstar said:
It is the Law and Order that God chose. No matter what the method we would still ask "why that way".
Yes, that is probably true. But couldn't it at least be logical? Maybe I'm just missing a major part of the story here, because I've never understood how blood sacrifice could appease any God. Blood sacrifices are found in many cultures and religions and I just don't get it.

If I slaughter my cat, what good does that do? What does it prove? Why is God appeased by blood? Especially if God is love?

FerventGodSeeker said:
I recommend Hebrews 9 for a brief look at the relationship between Old Covenant and New Covenant sacrifice.

Thanks, I skimmed over it. I understand the relationship; I understand the progression from animal sacrifices to the sacrifice of the Son of God. That's not my question. Thanks though :)

Btw, sorry if I seem off topic. I think, though, that if someone can give a satisfactory answer for why any blood sacrifice is necessary, that will answer the OP as well.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
uumckk16 said:
Yes, that is probably true. But couldn't it at least be logical? Maybe I'm just missing a major part of the story here, because I've never understood how blood sacrifice could appease any God. Blood sacrifices are found in many cultures and religions and I just don't get it.
IMO, the law of sacrifice was instituted because it came from earlier primitive religions and misguided people who thought we had to kill innocent beings to absolve our own guilt.

If you accept all that, it’s easy to see the logic – well maybe the consistency – in taking this to its extreme conclusion: If “I sinned so kill that lamb” works, but it’s only temporary and you have to keep hacking apart more and more small animals, then “I sinned, so kill that God’s son, then it’ll be all better forever” is a seemingly natural progression. It’s the Ultimate Sacrifice, if you will, and it makes some sense - WITHIN that crazy context of killing one thing for sins of another.

Scott1

Ryan2065 said:
Basically I'm asking why did the son of God need to appear 2000 years ago?
He didn't "need" to do anything.... the Word became flesh because of His love for us....God could have just as easily "saved" us with the ol snap-of-the-finger trick....

The Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature":
"For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God." "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."

**edit**
I have not been around in a while and some might not know my "color tricks" ... hehe.... so let me give some proper annotation: The section in green is from the Catechism of the Catholic Church #460. Quotations inside are from St. Irenaeus, St. Athanasius, and St. Thomas Aquinas.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Why was Jesus necessary? What world events were happening that required the son of God to preach rather than the prophets that God sent in the past? What job was too big for a prophet that required the son of God?
The incarnation of God reconciled humanity to God. In the act of incarnation, God revealed our true nature and potential, as well as our true relationship.

writer

became man to make man God, in life and nature, but not in the Godhead.
To be His Bride, and His Body, as His New Jerusalem, eternally

adilrockstar

uumckk16 said:
If I slaughter my cat, what good does that do? What does it prove? Why is God appeased by blood? Especially if God is love?

God has never asked you to "slaughter your cat". If He did it would be for good reason. No matter what the order God chooses, we will always ask "why that way".

uumckk16 said:
Thanks, I skimmed over it. I understand the relationship; I understand the progression from animal sacrifices to the sacrifice of the Son of God. That's not my question. Thanks though :)
Hebrews 9 does not just talk about progression, but symbolism...Old Testament sacrifices were a symbol of the one ultimate sacrifice of Jesus who would come and deliver His people from their sins.

uumckk16

Wandered Off said:
IMO, the law of sacrifice was instituted because it came from earlier primitive religions and misguided people who thought we had to kill innocent beings to absolve our own guilt.

If you accept all that, it’s easy to see the logic – well maybe the consistency – in taking this to its extreme conclusion: If “I sinned so kill that lamb” works, but it’s only temporary and you have to keep hacking apart more and more small animals, then “I sinned, so kill that God’s son, then it’ll be all better forever” is a seemingly natural progression. It’s the Ultimate Sacrifice, if you will, and it makes some sense - WITHIN that crazy context of killing one thing for sins of another.
Right. I agree with you. Like I said, I see the progression. I just don't understand the concept of any blood sacrifice for sins. Even if you were physically punishing yourself for your sins, I wouldn't see the logic behind it, though that would make more sense than punishing another.

adilrockstar said:
God has never asked you to "slaughter your cat". If He did it would be for good reason.

You're taking me way too literally with the "slaughter my cat" thing. I just meant, what good would a blood sacrifice do? Or, what good would it have done before Jesus came along and made blood sacrifices unnecessary?

adilrockstar said:
No matter what the order God chooses, we will always ask "why that way".
Okay. If that works for you, that's great. :D It's just not a good enough explanation for me.

FerventGodSeeker said:
Hebrews 9 does not just talk about progression, but symbolism...Old Testament sacrifices were a symbol of the one ultimate sacrifice of Jesus who would come and deliver His people from their sins.

Okay, I can see how you could argue that. What about sacrifices in other parts of the world, then? Where the people didn't find out about Jesus until much later, and so continued with their rituals? Did God accept their sacrifices?