• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would an eternal God send a son at one date in history for 3 years?

ecman51`

What was THAT all about? Why? To do miracles for people then, but for those future generations, they'd have to believe what some book said?

And why did he show up 2010 years ago? Why not 5000 years ago? Why not yesterday?

Why doesn't Jesus, in the New Testament, tell us how he and God are related?... if he helped God create everything, and how it was done?...why did he bother to come at all, when after he left, there are still so many unanswered questions where we have to ask WWJD? I.e. 1.: We don't even know how Jesus would have handled kids because he never had any to set an example! I.e. 2.: How would Jesus handle people with no money who don't work and/or can't find work? - would he tell banks to stop foreclosing on them, and landlords to let them stay free and not pay rent? What would he say?

BruceDLimber

In fact, God has sent MANY Divine Messengers over the Ages, of Whom Jesus is one!

This typically happens every 500-1,000 years.

And the time each is on earth varies.

The various religions They found are all stages in a single ever-evolving faith, the Faith of God!

Best! :)

Bruce

outhouse

Atheistically
In fact, God has sent MANY Divine Messengers over the Ages, of Whom Jesus is one!

This typically happens every 500-1,000 years.

And the time each is on earth varies.

The various religions They found are all stages in a single ever-evolving faith, the Faith of God!

Bruce

would this not be pure imagination???

hows about a little linky action or something

outhouse

Atheistically
What was THAT all about? Why? To do miracles for people then, but for those future generations, they'd have to believe what some book said?

And why did he show up 2010 years ago? Why not 5000 years ago? Why not yesterday?

Why doesn't Jesus, in the New Testament, tell us how he and God are related?... if he helped God create everything, and how it was done?...why did he bother to come at all, when after he left, there are still so many unanswered questions where we have to ask WWJD? I.e. 1.: We don't even know how Jesus would have handled kids because he never had any to set an example! I.e. 2.: How would Jesus handle people with no money who don't work and/or can't find work? - would he tell banks to stop foreclosing on them, and landlords to let them stay free and not pay rent? What would he say?

your reading to far into ancient mans imagination in my opinion.

youll hurt yourself :)

jesus was a traveling hellenistic jewish teacher and his storys or fables were orally told for decades before they were important enough to be written down. There were no witnesses or fisrt hand knowledge of any kind.

fact is your asking questions no one can answer, only guess about

BucephalusBB

ABACABB

There was this woman a 5000 years ago, but she was forgotten. There is one to be send, but that will be in a hundred years and there was this boy that nobody believed and God thought: "your loss.."...Who knows :shrug:

If you believe in that book you talk about, then you still know what he stands for and no new one is needed. If you do not believe in that book, then the info that there was one at all doesn't have to be true either, so you have no valuable information to work with.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi, Bruce. I have a quick question for you. Do Baha'is see Jesus Christ as being different in any way from other prophets such as Abraham, Isaiah, Mohammad, and the Baha'i prophets (I'm sorry, I can't remember their names)? Do you consider all prophets to be "divine," in other words? If you do, could you explain how you understand the word "divine"? Does it imply supernatural powers or knowledge? The ability to control the elements? I hope my questions make sense. I'm just trying to figure out who you believe Jesus Christ really is, particularly in comparison to other messengers you have referred to as "divine."

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Jesus may have only taught the Jews 3 years, but I hardly think he wasn't teaching others during his missing years :)

ecman51`

Jesus may have only taught the Jews 3 years, but I hardly think he wasn't teaching others during his missing years :)

Then they should have had that in the Bible also. They could have skipped Books like Numbers, and some other meaningless Books, and got more into the meat and potatoes of things.

ecman51`

There was this woman a 5000 years ago, but she was forgotten.

Noah's wife?

There is one to be send, but that will be in a hundred years.......

Who might that be, pray tell?

.....and there was this boy that nobody believed and God thought: "your loss.."...Who knows :shrug:

Jesus?

If you believe in that book you talk about, then you still know what he stands for and no new one is needed. If you do not believe in that book, then the info that there was one at all doesn't have to be true either, so you have no valuable information to work with.

I do have to say it is far easier believing in a general God as part of a heirarchy system, than the whole God thing of The Old Testament vs. The New Testament and Christianity - often of which seem at odds with each other in the way Jesus seemed far more forgiving than God the Father. Many a people have gone to their graves not knowing what the truth is, in all of this.

BruceDLimber

Hi, Bruce. I have a quick question for you. Do Baha'is see Jesus Christ as being different in any way from other prophets such as Abraham, Isaiah, Mohammad, and the Baha'i prophets (I'm sorry, I can't remember their names)? Do you consider all prophets to be "divine," in other words?

They're all what we call Divine Messengers.

(The Baha'i ones are the Bab <meaning "Gate"> and Baha'u'llah <meaning "Glory of God">, BTW.)

Baha'is teach that all the major religions of the world are divine in origin, sent by God as stages in a single divine plan. (There is only one Faith, the Faith of God.)

A Divine Messenger has a dual station; He is both a man (who was born, died, etc.) and also a Manifestation of the eternal spirit of God. He may be likened to a mirror reflecting the sun. It is correct to point to the mirror and say, "That is the sun." It is also correct to say "That's not the sun, only a mirror." Thus Jesus said, "Why callest thou Me good? There is none good but the Father in Heaven" (Jesus the man speaking), but also said "Before Abraham was, I am" and "No one comes to the Father but by Me" (the eternal spirit speaking, here called "Christ"). This latter "but by Me" quote refers to the fact that only through these Messengers can humankind know God.

In the Baha'i scriptures, it's expressed like this:

{161}t is evident ...that the Bearers of the trust of God are made manifest unto the peoples of the earth as the Exponents of a new Cause and the Bearers of a new Message. Inasmuch as these Birds of the Celestial Throne are all sent down from the heaven of the Will of God, and as they all arise to proclaim His irresistible Faith, they therefore are regarded as one soul and the same person. For they all drink from the one Cup of the love of God, and all partake of the fruit of the same Tree of Oneness. These Manifestations of God have each a twofold station. One is the station of pure abstraction and essential unity. In this respect, if thou callest them all by one name, and dost ascribe to them the same attribute, thou hast not erred from the truth. Even as He hath revealed: "No distinction do We make between any of His Messengers!" For they one and all summon the people of the earth to acknowledge the Unity of God, and herald unto them the [river] of an infinite grace and bounty. They are all invested with the robe of Prophethood, and honoured with the mantle of glory. Thus hath Muhammad, the Point of the Qur'an, revealed: "I am all the Prophets." Likewise, He saith: "I am the first Adam, Noah, Moses, and Jesus."... Sayings such as this, which indicate the essential unity of those Exponents of Oneness, have also emanated from the Channels of God's immortal utterance, and the Treasuries of the gems of divine knowledge, and have been recorded in the scriptures. These Countenances are the recipients of the Divine Command, and the day-springs of His Revelation. This Revelation is exalted above the veils of plurality and the exigencies of number. Thus He saith: "Our Cause is but one." Inasmuch as the Cause is one and the same, the Exponents thereof also must needs be one and the same...

{162}It is clear and evident ... that all the Prophets are the Temples of the Cause of God, Who have appeared clothed in divers attire. If thou wilt observe with discriminating eyes, thou wilt behold them all abiding in the same tabernacle, soaring in the same heaven, seated upon the same throne, uttering the same speech, and proclaiming the same Faith. Such is the unity of those Essences of being, those Luminaries of infinite and immeasurable splendour. Wherefore, should one of these Manifestations of Holiness proclaim saying: "I am the return of all the Prophets," He verily speaketh the truth. In like manner, in every subsequent Revelation, the return of the former Revelation is a fact...

{191}We have already in the foregoing pages assigned two stations unto each of the Luminaries arising from the Daysprings of eternal holiness. One of these stations, the station of essential unity, We have already explained. "No distinction do We make between any of them." The other is the station of distinction, and pertaineth to the world of creation and to the limitations thereof. In this respect, each Manifestation of God hath a distinct individuality, a definitely prescribed mission, a predestined Revelation, and specially designated limitations. Each one of them is known by a different name, is characterized by a special attribute, fulfils a definite Mission, and is entrusted with a particular Revelation. Even as He saith: "Some of the Apostles We have caused to excel the others. To some God hath spoken, some He hath raised and exalted. And to Jesus, Son of Mary, We gave manifest signs, and We strengthened Him with the Holy Spirit."

{192}It is because of this difference in their station and mission that the words and utterances flowing from these Well-springs of divine knowledge appear to diverge and differ. Otherwise, in the eyes of them that are initiated into the mysteries of divine wisdom, all their utterances are in reality but the expressions of one Truth. As most of the people have failed to appreciate those stations to which We have referred, they therefore feel perplexed and dismayed at the varying utterances pronounced by Manifestations that are essentially one and the same.

{193}It hath ever been evident that all these divergences of utterance are attributable to differences of station. Thus, viewed from the standpoint of their oneness and sublime detachment, the attributes of Godhead, Divinity, Supreme Singleness, and Inmost Essence, have been and are applicable to those Essences of being, inasmuch as they all abide on the throne of divine Revelation, and are established upon the seat of divine Concealment. Through their appearance the Revelation of God is made manifest, and by their countenance the Beauty of God is revealed. Thus it is that the accents of God Himself have been heard uttered by these Manifestations of the divine Being.

{194}Viewed in the light of their second station - the station of distinction, differentiation, temporal limitations, characteristics and standards, - they manifest absolute servitude, utter destitution and complete self-effacement. Even as He saith: "I am the servant of God. I am but a man like you."

{195}From these incontrovertible and fully demonstrated statements strive thou to apprehend the meaning of the questions thou hast asked, that thou mayest become steadfast in the Faith of God, and not be dismayed by the divergences in the utterances of His Prophets and Chosen Ones.
[continues]

BruceDLimber

[continued]
{196}Were any of the all-embracing Manifestations of God to declare: "I am God!" He verily speaketh the truth, and no doubt attacheth thereto. For it hath been repeatedly demonstrated that through their Revelation, their attributes and names, the Revelation of God, His name and His attributes, are made manifest in the world. Thus, He hath revealed: "Those shafts were God's, not Thine!" And also He saith: "In truth, they who plighted fealty unto thee, really plighted that fealty unto God." And were any of them to voice the utterance: "I am the Messenger of God," He also speaketh the truth, the indubitable truth... For they are all but one person, one soul, one spirit, one being, one revelation. They are all the manifestation of the "Beginning" and the "End," the "First" and the "Last," the "Seen" and "Hidden" - all of which pertain to Him Who is the innermost Spirit of Spirits and eternal Essence of Essences. And were they to say: "We are the servants of God," this also is a manifest and indisputable fact. For they have been made manifest in the uttermost state of servitude, a servitude the like of which no man can possibly attain. Thus in moments in which these Essences of being were deeply immersed beneath the oceans of ancient and everlasting holiness, or when they soared to the loftiest summits of divine mysteries, they claimed their utterance to be the Voice of divinity, the Call of God Himself. Were the eye of discernment to be opened, it would recognize that in this very state, they have considered themselves utterly effaced and non-existent in the face of Him Who is the All-Pervading, the Incorruptible. Methinks, they have regarded themselves as utter nothingness, and deemed their mention in that Court an act of blasphemy. For the slightest whispering of self, within such a Court, is an evidence of self-assertion and independent existence. In the eyes of them that have attained unto that Court, such a suggestion is itself a grievous transgression. How much more grievous would it be, were aught else to be mentioned in that Presence, were man's heart, his tongue, his mind, or his soul, to be busied with anyone but the Well-Beloved, were his eyes to behold any countenance other than His beauty, were his ear to be inclined to any melody but His voice, and were his feet to tread any way but His way.

—(The Book of Certitude, pages 152-154, 176-180)
[end quote]

Indeed, Baha'u'llah Himself says:

“When I contemplate, O my God, the relationship that bindeth me to Thee, I am moved to proclaim to all created things ‘verily I am God!’; and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!”
—Baha'u'llah, p. 26

Bruce

javajo

Galatians 4

1Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
2But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.
3Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:
4But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
6And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
7Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.