• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why?

Trey of Diamonds

I have a question, why is Setian considered LHP? I thought the worship of Set would be just another Pagan religion. In fact, I thought LHP was an aspect of the Abrahamic religions only, am I wrong in that thinking?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I have a question, why is Setian considered LHP? I thought the worship of Set would be just another Pagan religion. In fact, I thought LHP was an aspect of the Abrahamic religions only, am I wrong in that thinking?

Because Setians, How it is used today is not the Worship of Set. The term came around do to the ToS. Though there might be Setians who follow an old way and worship him.
But Setians are here in LHP for the first reason.

Trey of Diamonds

Hmmm, I've skimmed the page, interesting stuff. Basically it sounds a lot like Ayn Rand's Objectivism with some mysticism added in for flavor.

What do the Kemetics think of the use of Set's name in this manner?

Sireal

Setian
Hmmm, I've skimmed the page, interesting stuff. Basically it sounds a lot like Ayn Rand's Objectivism with some mysticism added in for flavor.

What do the Kemetics think of the use of Set's name in this manner?

Trey,
Setian Philosophy is not "basically" like any other philosophy you have encountered and a cursory glance at it will give you nothing but cursory knowledge. It also has no mysticism whatsoever in its philosophy but is founded on accurate scholarly knowledge and is furthered by the same.

Trey of Diamonds

Trey,
Setian Philosophy is not "basically" like any other philosophy you have encountered and a cursory glance at it will give you nothing but cursory knowledge. It also has no mysticism whatsoever in its philosophy but is founded on accurate scholarly knowledge and is furthered by the same.

Really, because I saw references to Magicians on the website for TOS. Magicians to me signify mysticism. What does it mean in Setian?

thats right, pure knowledge...what a hardcore thing
Well my aunt's 70's channelling club was named after the egyptian goddess set, not the male satan. i visited her once and they were taking care of an old man who was like 90 years old, born russian orthodox, but was into this channelling thing and they had known him for a long time. He had a red silk metallic fez. He wrote a one word poem titled -YES- :candle:
it was something to meditate on. I have channeled things myself, namely philosophy books from the 1800's that needed to be written and followed like the law then to save science, and science looks like a piece of crap without those books as its foundation. I am the new agey one in my family like my aunt.

Yes, you're wrong in that thinking. Setian is left-hand-path because of its emphasis on individual awareness, among other things. Setians don't worship Set in the same way a Wiccan would worship Hera. They key to understanding this is understanding what Set means.

LHP is not an aspect of the Abrahamic religions because it stands in contrast with the Abrahamic religions, at least the big three.

Mr.Advocate

Sireal,

“Setian Philosophy is not "basically" like any other philosophy you have encountered and a cursory glance at it will give you nothing but cursory knowledge. It also has no mysticism whatsoever in its philosophy but is founded on accurate scholarly knowledge and is furthered by the same.”

Please explain the “Book of Coming Forth by Night”, in a way that denotes no form of mysticism.

Please explain the acquisition of “Xem-Set”, via scholarly knowledge, abject of mysticism.

How is it that Aquino considers himself “the one to come after“, as described in Liber Al vel Legis? (especially since he thinks Hadit is the perceiver, and shows his utter ignorance of the text.).

Name one book that describes the ancient Setians as being even remotely similar to the ToS.

How did Aquino get the “Magus” degree when he admits that he had no formal training in magic?

If you’ve read the Ruby Tablet, how can you even begin to say that Setian Philosophy is unique?

Sireal

Setian
"Mr.Advocate;1382709]Sireal,

“Setian Philosophy is not "basically" like any other philosophy you have encountered and a cursory glance at it will give you nothing but cursory knowledge. It also has no mysticism whatsoever in its philosophy but is founded on accurate scholarly knowledge and is furthered by the same.”

"Please explain the “Book of Coming Forth by Night”, in a way that denotes no form of mysticism."

The BoCFbN to my understanding is a stand alone document. If an Initiate is drawn to its content then it exerts a magical affinity but that certainly does not make it mystical.

"Please explain the acquisition of “Xem-Set”, via scholarly knowledge, abject of mysticism."

Which event are talking about?

"How is it that Aquino considers himself “the one to come after“, as described in Liber Al vel Legis?"

Have you read his analysis and commentary on Liber Al?

(especially since he thinks Hadit is the perceiver, and shows his utter ignorance of the text.)."

I'm not sure what source you are using for this? In Dr. Aquino's own words though~

Hadit means "inspired utterance". "Had" is also the secret center of the word "Abrahadabra", described by Crowley as the magical formula of the AEon of Horus. The "Abra" prefix and sufix each translate heiroglyphically as "heart of Ra" or "purification of Ra", which would render the entire Formula as an "inspired utterance from the heart of Ra." M.A.A. 1997

"Name one book that describes the ancient Setians as being even remotely similar to the ToS."

To my knowledge no such book exists, and neither should it. The ToS claims no such thing and I have not heard of this.

How did Aquino get the “Magus” degree when he admits that he had no formal training in magic?

Where does he admit this-just out of curiosity:)
The degree of Magus is most certainly beyond the scope of my own initiation to speak to and I will not, however, if you don't know how he attained that degree or what it entails to to do so, your question is irrelevant and begs the question- are you a Magus and what does formal training have to do with it? If I were to hazard a guess I would say 8 or so years in the CoS and becoming a Magister there had something to do with it.

"If you’ve read the Ruby Tablet, how can you even begin to say that Setian Philosophy is unique?"

The RT is Not Setian Philosophy and to mistake it for such is a waste of ones time. I have read the RT and it is full of interesting documents by individual Setians that I find quite enlightening on the various forms of LHP Magic in use today. I think that is its sole purpose. What did you make of it?

Mr.Advocate

"The BoCFbN to my understanding is a stand alone document. If an Initiate is drawn to its content then it exerts a magical affinity but that certainly does not make it mystical."

So a man gathers himself in his chamber, opens the ritual and recites a 400 year old Key designed to summon angels. He then writes out a message with…

“No more and no less than a sensation I had then, and conviction ever since, that something beyond Michael Aquino was generating it.”

Nah, that doesn’t sound like mysticism to me either.

Below you will find the words that appear above the chart in the CT. (The Q replaced the omega sign upon pasteing). I have not reproduced the entire chart, but you will note on your own copy that below the GBM bubble, the Priesthood of Set is the only historical group listed that practiced GBM as defined by the ToS. To both your knowledge and my own, there is no book that varifies this assertion.

DEFINITIONS:​
Q = The totality of​
perceived existence, such as
- an objective universe created and sustained by one or more gods.
- an unplanned, undirected objective universe existing via accident.
- "Nuit" (as expressed by Aleister Crowley).

* = The distinct, isolate self-consciousness -
the perceiver-- represented as
- the soul or psyche.
- the mind (as a non-metaphysical, material phenomenon).

- "Hadit" (as expressed by Aleister Crowley).

Valor

"inspired utterance". ?

Sireal, Can you help me define this in "Setian" practice? Maybe send me a link too?

I'm getting too much mumbo-jumbo from all structures of beliefs via the web, but nothing Setian inspired, Even my 3 Occult encyclopedias are nil to the term: "Hadit"

So frustrated I flipped through my Occult Works and old notes (in case i crossed it prior) but still, i can't catch a break here.

Please just point, i want to do the Work myself.