• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Arizona lawmakers repeal controversial 1864 abortion ban?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

This is Wednesday April 17 and I am posting this around 2:45 pm where I am. As far as I know the Arizona State House has not voted on this yet.

But this is what I think people should understand.

If they repeal this law it will be good for Republican politically.
If they repeal this law it will increase the probability that Trump will win Arizona November
If they don't repeal this law it will increase the probability that Biden will take Arizona and in my opinion may it almost certain that Biden will take Arizona.

Understanding all this, I hope they repeal the law. Because repealing this law will be good for women and will save lives.

Pogo

This is Wednesday April 17 and I am posting this around 2:45 pm where I am. As far as I know the Arizona State House has not voted on this yet.

But this is what I think people should understand.

If they repeal this law it will be good for Republican politically.
If they repeal this law it will increase the probability that Trump will win Arizona November
If they don't repeal this law it will increase the probability that Biden will take Arizona and in my opinion may it almost certain that Biden will take Arizona.

Understanding all this, I hope they repeal the law. Because repealing this law will be good for women and will save lives.
They will repeal it out of political self-interest as they know that they cannot survive the protests till November and the constitutional amendment.
In the mean time they are scrambling to figure out something to appease their base.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
They will repeal it out of political self-interest
I hope so. It would be better if they repealed it because they cared about the lives of women and did not want to return to the days when women were property. But I don't expect that.

And I am not even sure they will repeal it out of political self-interest. This is the second time they tried, the first time Republicans blocked it right after praying to their God on the House floor. These are not intelligent rational actors we are dealing with here.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope so. It would be better if they repealed it because they cared about the lives of women and did not want to return to the days when women were property. But I don't expect that.

And I am not even sure they will repeal it out of political self-interest. This is the second time they tried, the first time Republicans blocked it right after praying to their God on the House floor. These are not intelligent rational actors we are dealing with here.

It's a Republican-dominated legislature, although I believe there may be a few Republicans who might go with the Democrats in repealing this. The Arizona legislature is, for the most part, pretty screwed up and dysfunctional.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Will Arizona lawmakers repeal controversial 1864 abortion ban? Nope. They will not.

"PHOENIX — For the second time in two weeks, Arizona Republican lawmakers rejected an attempt to repeal a near-total ban on abortion from 1864 that was upheld by the battleground state’s Supreme Court."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Will Arizona lawmakers repeal controversial 1864 abortion ban? Nope. They will not.

"PHOENIX — For the second time in two weeks, Arizona Republican lawmakers rejected an attempt to repeal a near-total ban on abortion from 1864 that was upheld by the battleground state’s Supreme Court."

Third time's a charm:

On their third attempt in three weeks, Arizona state House lawmakers voted Wednesday to pass a bill that would repeal the near-total ban on abortion from 1864 that was upheld by the battleground state’s Supreme Court earlier this month.

After a dizzying course of votes throughout the afternoon, three state House Republicans joined Democrats in approving a repeal of the Civil War-era law that made abortion a felony punishable by two to five years in prison for anyone who performs one or helps a woman obtain one.

The state Senate could vote on the repeal as early as next Wednesday, after the bill comes on the floor for a "third reading," as is required under chamber rules.

The state Senate is likely to pass a repeal of the law, a source in Arizona familiar with the situation told NBC News. Once that happens, Democratic Gov. Katie Hobbs is certain to sign the repeal quickly.

Abortion rights supporters and Democrats — all the way up to the White House — praised Arizona lawmakers for their passage of the repeal.

Pogo

Third time's a charm:

1713999432111.jpeg

Arizona House,

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

So, Governor Hobbs has signed it, and now it's official.

But even after Hobbs' signature, the road ahead on how and what abortion restrictions will be enforced in Arizona remains complicated: The ban is still bound to go into effect for a period of time due to unique aspects of Arizona law.

Under the Arizona Constitution, a fully enacted repeal of a law doesn’t go into effect until 90 days after a legislative session concludes, unless it was passed by a supermajority in both legislative chambers.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

So, Governor Hobbs has signed it, and now it's official.
That is horrible that it will take so long. But what is also horrible is that if Republicans come to power in November, either in the State or Federally, this law might just go back into full effect.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That is horrible that it will take so long. But what is also horrible is that if Republicans come to power in November, either in the State or Federally, this law might just go back into full effect.
I anticipate state legal weed creating the frame work and precedence to keep doing abortion in a worst case scenario. Or other laws. It's not like state laws are always congruent with federal law.
I also doubt this Supreme Court will contradict itself by kicking it to the states then removing it from the states, especially as aware of their image as of late as they are.