• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will he use nuclear weapons?

Will he use nuclear weapons?

• Yes

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

Nimos

Given that the war hasn't exactly gone as Putin expected and as he might get more and more desperate, do you think that he will eventually use nuclear weapons?

MikeF

Premium Member
Given that the war hasn't exactly gone as Putin expected and as he might get more and more desperate, do you think that he will eventually use nuclear weapons?

Color me naïve, I just don't see Putin pulling the nuclear trigger.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Rats in a corner will strike out.

I can't answer the question because I'm totally 50-50. I've been flipping back and forth for days now and nothing has convinced me to move from total inability to guess.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
These are end times, Armageddon is inevitable. Who is ultimately responsible? The dark spirit of Satan!

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think that Putin has painted himself into a corner -- and having done so, added a layer of sticky tar over the paint. It is possible, it has happened in Russia before (about a 100 years ago last time), that newly armed men facing death and making widows and orphans of their wives and children for no reason they can concern, may well turn their weapons back towards the Kremlin. And when that happens, the modern-day Boyars may themselves decide they'd like to enjoy their ill-gotten gains another day, and themselves turn against their benefactor.

In other words, I think that Putin has dug himself so deep that soon his own life may be in very real danger -- and what will a man in such a situation not risk?

MikeF

Premium Member
Out of curiosity what is the assumed nuclear target? Putin wants Ukraine. So nuking Kiev is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Will he nuke European backers, if so, which? All of them? What are the prevailing winds? Will he get the radiation cloud from the fallout? That leaves the US, which could respond city for city. Perhaps he would bank on a liberal Democrat president being unable to take millions of innocent lives and not retaliate if Putin hits something small, like Guam.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Color me naïve, I just don't see Putin pulling the nuclear trigger.
I agree. I realize I could be wrong. But I think he is more interested in wrapping it up quick now. Mostly because he got his butt handed to him in what he obviously thought was a piece of cake.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Out of curiosity what is the assumed nuclear target? Putin wants Ukraine. So nuking Kiev is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Will he nuke European backers, if so, which? All of them? What are the prevailing winds? Will he get the radiation cloud from the fallout? That leaves the US, which could respond city for city. Perhaps he would bank on a liberal Democrat president being unable to take millions of innocent lives and not retaliate if Putin hits something small, like Guam.
I've wondered about that too. No idea. I even wondered about Chernobyl as some sort of strange token target.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Everything I've read has been about the possible use of nonstrategic nuclear weapons (what was known as tactical nuclear weapons previously).

What are tactical nuclear weapons? An international security expert explains and assesses what they mean for the war in Ukraine

Whether that's an idle threat or not is a different question, but these weapons are (or at least can be) quite limited in scope. Still devastating compared to almost any conventional weapons, though.

Shaul

Premium Member
No he won't. All the chatter about it is just an October distraction from discussing important matters such as inflation, uncontrolled immigration and other failures of those in power before the midterm elections.

MikeF

Premium Member
Everything I've read has been about the possible use of nonstrategic nuclear weapons (what was known as tactical nuclear weapons previously).

What are tactical nuclear weapons? An international security expert explains and assesses what they mean for the war in Ukraine

Whether that's an idle threat or not is a different question, but these weapons are (or at least can be) quite limited in scope. Still devastating compared to almost any conventional weapons, though.

So the assumption then is one or more tactical nukes in Ukraine for a quick and decisive victory? You are still left with radiation contamination. I just don't see it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
So the assumption then is one or more tactical nukes in Ukraine for a quick and decisive victory? You are still left with radiation contamination. I just don't see it.

I'm guessing here (I used to study military doctrine a bit, but we're talking 20 years ago, and a lot has changed...).

He's not using them as part of a direct attack. Contamination alone would make that effectively useless.
Instead he'd use them...or more hopefully, the threat of using them...to defend borderlines already established. Take an area via conventional means, and threaten to use that as a staging area for deeper strikes if forces are staging for counterattacks, including transport hubs, airports and the like.

They also represent a pretty strong misdirection play. Let it be known some tac nukes are being released and brought forwards, whilst simultaneously removing conventional forces. That could credibly look like preparation for a strike, whilst also allowing conventional forces to be relieved or relocate elsewhere.

Would Ukraine take advantage of the reduction in conventional forces to advance against the threat of nukes? I mean...maybe, but I doubt it.

Finally, they'd be the ultimate reset button if the war continues to go badly, and Ukranian forces threaten Russian prewar borders. The same countries assisting Ukraine now would basically demand they stand down at that point.

MikeF

Premium Member
I'm guessing here (I used to study military doctrine a bit, but we're talking 20 years ago, and a lot has changed...).

He's not using them as part of a direct attack. Contamination alone would make that effectively useless.
Instead he'd use them...or more hopefully, the threat of using them...to defend borderlines already established. Take an area via conventional means, and threaten to use that as a staging area for deeper strikes if forces are staging for counterattacks, including transport hubs, airports and the like.

They also represent a pretty strong misdirection play. Let it be known some tac nukes are being released and brought forwards, whilst simultaneously removing conventional forces. That could credibly look like preparation for a strike, whilst also allowing conventional forces to be relieved or relocate elsewhere.

Would Ukraine take advantage of the reduction in conventional forces to advance against the threat of nukes? I mean...maybe, but I doubt it.

Finally, they'd be the ultimate reset button if the war continues to go badly, and Ukranian forces threaten Russian prewar borders. The same countries assisting Ukraine now would basically demand they stand down at that point.

The decoy ploy of pulling back to sell nuclear threat? Maybe. Fake it till you make it, right?

But again, that has Putin not actually using them.

As for Ukraine getting overzealous in a counter-offensive, I think they would be more than happy to call it quits once they reach original pre-war boarder.