• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will technology ultimately be the savior of mankind?

freethinker44

That's a very subjective question.

I would say yes, technology will be the savior of mankind. But that's only because I see the creation of AI as the next phase of human evolution and the subsequent and inevitable destruction of the human species and possibly all life on Earth as a sort of, "shedding old skin".

So if by "savior" you are willing to accept, "complete extinction and replacement" as I would define it, then yes, it is our savior.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Technology is such a powerful double edges sword, it will probably be impossible to predict if it will be our savior or demise until it happens.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Extinction, or endangerment, or at least the fall of modern civilization.

Then no. All things that come to be inevitably pass out of being, without exception. The universe is constantly changing and transforming; there is always birth-death going on, all the time. Arguably, the human denial of death, destruction, and decay will hasten our demise by disrupting a more even-handed cycle of death-birth-death-birth... as evidenced by our kicking off a sixth mass extinction. Go us. *sigh*

suncowiam

The earth will eventually collapse or destruct. Only technology will be able to continue the human race if technology doesn't already destroy earth.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
If so, to what extent and for how long, etc.

More likely lead to the end of mankind. The more rely on it the weaker we get as a species. Ultimately humankind needs to be able to survive without technology.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Yes.

Yes, technology willl be the saviour of the human race. We live on a single planet, and in order to persist for the longer term our only hope is to exist in more than one biosphere, and technology is the only way we can do it.

One day maybe we spread from our birthplace like the dandelion seeds floating off in a breeze. Perhaps that is what the evolution of intelligent self aware beings leads naturally to - our going forth and multiplying across the stars as our ancestors did across the waves.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we have a beautiful future, and I think we (not I) will reproduce for millions of years. Future generations will have a history of millions rather than thousands of years. Imagine that.

On the way we will inspire new life. Maybe we'll give speech and brotherhood to animals and let them see what we can see. (Imagine discussing grass with a horse.) I don't know what will happen, but equally weird stuff will happen.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

....it will be our destruction.

th

th

esmith

Veteran Member

....it will be our destruction.

th

th

Where would civilization be without ever having used fossil fuel? Nuclear weapons have only been used twice in the history of the world. Where would medicine be if there had been no research nuclear research? What causes the most deaths and poverty in the world? It sure isn't fossil fuel or nuclear weapons. Sure there have been accidents that have caused harm to the environmental and humans, But do you really believe that we would be better off if they did not exist. Yes there could be the total annihilation of the human race by thermonuclear weapons, but if you stop and think about it there are only three countries in the world that could do this (at this time) yet do you really think that they are willing to chance their own destruction? You are looking at a very, very, very small problem. Try living without them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Try living without them.

Pardon, but is this supposed to be challenging? For a challenge, this sure is painfully easy considering our species lived without this stuff for thousands upon thousands of years...

... and back then we were't irresponsibly spiraling the biosphere into a sixth mass extinction due to "advances" in technology. Yeah. Really, really not a fan of the fact that the legacy of my species will be causing another mass extinction, as well as this kind of thing:

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
Pardon, but is this supposed to be challenging? For a challenge, this sure is painfully easy considering our species lived without this stuff for thousands upon thousands of years...

... and back then we were't irresponsibly spiraling the biosphere into a sixth mass extinction due to "advances" in technology. Yeah. Really, really not a fan of the fact that the legacy of my species will be causing another mass extinction, as well as this kind of thing:

So, what modern technology are you willing to give up?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Technology would be wonderful and help get us out of the mess we're in if we discover and switch to renewable clean energy, as well as stop all the pollution, deforestation and human encroachment into the wild. Humans need to relearn how to live in harmony with all that is and that requires a complete shift in our worldview, which is the most difficult thing to do. But many seem content to take their disconnection from Nature to its extreme and become machines. There's been a festering existential crises in humanity for centuries and now it's coming to a head. Decision time.

Last edited: