• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will technology ultimately be the savior of mankind?

Wirey

Fartist
Technology can neither save or destroy us. Only we can do that. Technology doesn't kill people, I do.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So, what modern technology are you willing to give up?

I don't think there is any benefit at all to making this personal, so I see no reason to answer this question. I'm pointing out that the survival of the human species hardly depends on technology, while our irresponsible use of it has driven many other species to extinction. This is not acceptable to me, and I quite prefer how civilization was before we started burning our ancestors.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Technology would be wonderful and help get us out of the mess we're in if we discover and switch to renewable clean energy, as well as stop all the pollution, deforestation and human encroachment into the wild. Humans need to relearn how to live in harmony with all that is and that requires a complete shift in our worldview, which is the most difficult thing to
When you're in a burning house no one complains if you break down a door and shatter a few windows to get out.

I'm pointing out that the survival of the human species hardly depends on technology
It absolutely does... if we do not advance technology enough to support the colonization of space we have a deadly doom.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
When you're in a burning house no one complains if you break down a door and shatter a few windows to get out.

It absolutely does... if we do not advance technology enough to support the colonization of space we have a deadly doom.

And that next step is so wonderfully evocative and majestic, it is the flowering of an intelligent species. It is a truly epic goal.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

So the planet dies and takes all the billions of other lifeforms with her, but we run away like the guilty cowards we are? Honestly, I'd rather die and humanity should just go extinct at that point. We'd basically be the aliens from ID4 at that point.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
So the planet dies and takes all the billions of other lifeforms with her, but we run away like the guilty cowards we are? Honestly, I'd rather die and humanity should just go extinct at that point. We'd basically be the aliens from ID4 at that point.

I think that what Mr Emu is referring to is the long term survival of the planet - comets, asteroids and a hundred other celestial dangers will ultimately destroy it. If we as humans were to conserve a threatened species, the first step would be to ensure that exists in more than one place.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I think that what Mr Emu is referring to is the long term survival of the planet - comets, asteroids and a hundred other celestial dangers will ultimately destroy it. If we as humans were to conserve a threatened species, the first step would be to ensure that exists in more than one place.

Yeah, that makes sense. Space travel is a great thing to work towards but we need to fix our mindsets beforehand before we literally spread our environment-raping and junk to other planets, some of which may have native species who may not take too kindly to our idiocy.

That's far in the future, though. We're far too stupid for that sort of endeavor at present. The military and corporations will be messing that all up before we ever become some sort of utopian spacefaring species. There would have to be a revolution in human consciousness and global society before that becomes feasible, ethnically and otherwise.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Yeah, that makes sense. Space travel is a great thing to work towards but we need to fix our mindsets beforehand before we literally spread our environment-raping and junk to other planets, some of which may have native species who may not take too kindly to our idiocy.

That's far in the future, though. We're far too stupid for that sort of endeavor at present. The military and corporations will be messing that all up before we ever become some sort of utopian spacefaring species. There would have to be a revolution in human consciousness and global society before that becomes feasible, ethnically and otherwise.

Indeed. In our current form we would behave like some sort of macro virus. We have a lot to learn.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Indeed. In our current form we would behave like some sort of macro virus. We have a lot to learn.

Bingo. :yes:

I'd love if humanity could unite under some sort of utopian global federation with extremely advanced technology based off of the Sun (I guess it would have to be or some other exotic energy form), where we cease to view the Earth and all her other lifeforms as resources to be used and live in harmony. All that nice stuff. Then we could have a moral go-ahead to explore the Cosmos.

Funnily, the song I'm listening to is talking about this sort of thing:

Let this earth renew
We will see it through
It's my theory of everything
We will wars undo
Make the oceans blue
Paint the heavens with stars
And I won't let it out of my heart
No we won't let this world fall apart

Until then? No.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Where would civilization be without ever having used fossil fuel? Nuclear weapons have only been used twice in the history of the world. Where would medicine be if there had been no research nuclear research? What causes the most deaths and poverty in the world? It sure isn't fossil fuel or nuclear weapons. Sure there have been accidents that have caused harm to the environmental and humans, But do you really believe that we would be better off if they did not exist. Yes there could be the total annihilation of the human race by thermonuclear weapons, but if you stop and think about it there are only three countries in the world that could do this (at this time) yet do you really think that they are willing to chance their own destruction? You are looking at a very, very, very small problem. Try living without them.
We'd be much better off without fossil fuels. And just because there have only been two nuclear weapons detonated in war does not mean that Fat Boy and Little Man are the only two ever detonated.
Great Pacific garbage patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ocean-trash.jpg

As for medical advances, really, we aren't responsible enough to handle them. The wealthiest nations are living the longest, reproducing the most, and wasting and trashing the planet along the way. For now at least, the planet would be much better off. And because the planet would be better off, ultimately, we would be better off.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
We'd be much better off without fossil fuels. And just because there have only been two nuclear weapons detonated in war does not mean that Fat Boy and Little Man are the only two ever detonated.
Great Pacific garbage patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ocean-trash.jpg

As for medical advances, really, we aren't responsible enough to handle them. The wealthiest nations are living the longest, reproducing the most, and wasting and trashing the planet along the way. For now at least, the planet would be much better off. And because the planet would be better off, ultimately, we would be better off.

My understanding is that about 500 nuclear weapons in total have been detonated. Two in war - which is frankly terrifying.

Yerda

Veteran Member
A good excuse for a poem.

Brautigan said:
All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace

I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal
brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So the planet dies and takes all the billions of other lifeforms with her, but we run away like the guilty cowards we are?
The planet is going to die anyways and so go however many billions or trillions of lifeforms when it happens. The only chance any earth life has of long-term survival is off the planet.

We will be neither guilty nor cowards when we leave.

Honestly, I'd rather die and humanity should just go extinct at that point. We'd basically be the aliens from ID4 at that point
You're more than welcome to wallow in that sentiment.

Space travel is a great thing to work towards but we need to fix our mindsets beforehand before we literally spread our environment-raping and junk to other planets, some of which may have native species who may not take too kindly to our idiocy.
Environment raping... would you have an issue with "environment raping" Mars? Pluto? Would that phrase even make sense in the context of lifeless globes?

We are voracious and adaptive consumers; it is part of who we are genetically. There is nothing to "learn". It is a fundamentally human thing to consume the resources around us.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
The planet is going to die anyways and so go however many billions or trillions of lifeforms when it happens. The only chance any earth life has of long-term survival is off the planet.

We will be neither guilty nor cowards when we leave.

You're more than welcome to wallow in that sentiment.

Environment raping... would you have an issue with "environment raping" Mars? Pluto? Would that phrase even make sense in the context of lifeless globes?

We are voracious and adaptive consumers; it is part of who we are genetically. There is nothing to "learn". It is a fundamentally human thing to consume the resources around us.

So apparently you're okay with humans behaving like parasites. You don't mind the environmental destruction and the mass extinction we cause?

Yerda

Veteran Member
So apparently you're okay with humans behaving like parasites. You don't mind the environmental destruction and the mass extinction we cause?
In regards to the OP, I'm inclined to think that there are no technologies that will save us from the collapse of the biosphere.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So apparently you're okay with humans behaving like parasites.
We're the Apex consumers... and its good to be king. I am perfectly find with human behaving like humans.

You don't mind the environmental destruction and the mass extinction we cause?
I notice you dodged my question...

In what sense can we "rape" the "environment" of Mars... or Pluto...

To your question. I mind it insofar as it is needless and serves no purpose other than immediate profit.

suncowiam

Just saw Interstellar. Loved it...

The movie addresses certain aspects of this thread. I highly recommend it.