• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With suffering and hell, how can God be thought of as fair or kind.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
God gave Man dominion.
It is Man that allows the grief of this world.

As for incidental items, such as earthquake, tornadoes, and other natural calamity....
The Earth must churn.
It is essential for life on this planet that chemistry moves.....a lot.

We choose to live near the ocean.....we get washed away.
We choose to live in the valley....the mudslide will bury us.
We choose the open plain...the wind will blow down the house.
etc...etc....etc....
and even if we never see any such thing....we still die.

The chemistry was never intended to endure everlasting.

The spirit we are might do so.

In which case, you gotta have grace.
Why bestow forever unto those who lack that frame of spirit?

A Vestigial Mote

God’s promise to the world is that heaven awaits those who seek Him, yet if you choose to be filled with pride and live this life only for yourself, its pleasures and its comforts --- and in so doing ignore His calling, even His existence, then perhaps an awful fate is possible?

I chose the above statement to respond to (especially the bolded bit) because it is so stereotypical and assuming that it shows a great negligence in the realm of knowledge on this subject (also called ignorance). I am a non-believer - it is my right (possibly even God-given!) to be so.

My true belief is that no one knows the truth, and that it is extremely likely that everyone has it wrong. I would dare to say that I believe this probably more than you even truly believe in your God.

And yet I give of myself freely to those I love and care for in this world - possibly too much. I simply can't see the point in taking time for myself (although sometimes I try) when my wife and/or kids are otherwise asking me to spend time with them (this being a near-constant occurrence). I spend nearly no money on myself - again, I don't see the point, the money is always better served elsewhere, and I can never decide on anything I "want" anyway - in a sense, I want for nothing, and can remain contented so long as needs are met. To say I am living my life selfishly is downright ludicrous. Have I made my mistakes in that realm? Of course - who hasn't? But the basis of my existence is not in material things, nor comforts, nor doing things to impress others, nor caring one iota what others think or believe about me.

Perhaps I am the exception - but I would challenge that there is no "rule". And that is why your post means nothing to me, stirs nothing within me - except a sense of loss. A loss of faith that humanity is capable of righting itself without the aide of its imaginary friends. That most people appear unable to be true comrades to one another without there being some imagined context between them that they feel allows them to "trust" one another. It is a mess, and it mangles my insides to see it played out.

Or is that "the devil" inside me doing that? There's always some explanation from people of faith that has to do with how I'm failing in in my life if God doesn't interact with me, or if I am not living life to their expectations and standards - I've come to expect it, so don't feel bad if you thought the same thing. You can't help it, I know.

thau

I chose the above statement to respond to (especially the bolded bit) because it is so stereotypical and assuming that it shows a great negligence in the realm of knowledge on this subject (also called ignorance). I am a non-believer - it is my right (possibly even God-given!) to be so.

My true belief is that no one knows the truth, and that it is extremely likely that everyone has it wrong. I would dare to say that I believe this probably more than you even truly believe in your God.

And yet I give of myself freely to those I love and care for in this world - possibly too much. I simply can't see the point in taking time for myself (although sometimes I try) when my wife and/or kids are otherwise asking me to spend time with them (this being a near-constant occurrence). I spend nearly no money on myself - again, I don't see the point, the money is always better served elsewhere, and I can never decide on anything I "want" anyway - in a sense, I want for nothing, and can remain contented so long as needs are met. To say I am living my life selfishly is downright ludicrous. Have I made my mistakes in that realm? Of course - who hasn't? But the basis of my existence is not in material things, nor comforts, nor doing things to impress others, nor caring one iota what others think or believe about me.

Perhaps I am the exception - but I would challenge that there is no "rule". And that is why your post means nothing to me, stirs nothing within me - except a sense of loss. A loss of faith that humanity is capable of righting itself without the aide of its imaginary friends. That most people appear unable to be true comrades to one another without there being some imagined context between them that they feel allows them to "trust" one another. It is a mess, and it mangles my insides to see it played out.

Or is that "the devil" inside me doing that? There's always some explanation from people of faith that has to do with how I'm failing in in my life if God doesn't interact with me, or if I am not living life to their expectations and standards - I've come to expect it, so don't feel bad if you thought the same thing. You can't help it, I know.
Thanks for your response.
Are you suggesting that there are not those who are more selfish than you, who primarily do live for pleasure and comfort and have little regard for some they may have “used” for their own personal gain, and even less regard for strangers? And by extension, if there truly is a God who gave us life, are you suggesting how we live this life (charitably and honestly vs. selfishly and prideful) matters not to Him? Then what purpose would there be for God providing an earthly existence if no consequences I ask? Why not just put us all in heaven and get on with it?

>> My true belief is that no one knows the truth, and that it is extremely likely that everyone has it wrong.<<

We are far apart on that one. For one, it makes zero sense to me that God would have just planted some seeds and then sat back and watched what craziness would develop just for His own entertainment without having a higher purpose and some divine communication. Secondly, there are so many reasons that the Judeo-Christian G-d has shown Himself as truly The One that for us to cast it all aside as unlikely or unimportant or strange coincidence is insulting on many levels, IMO. So just because all these different faiths cannot be right does not mean or imply that one in particular can not still be right. If one truly studied the facts and details of scores of signs and wonders and manifestations that have been associated with Christianity, Catholic saints and apparitions in particular, I do not see how an unbiased person could come away with a position “no evidence for the supernatural?” It completely escapes me. Utterly. Consequently, my position is the opposite of yours --- i.e. “it is extremely likely the Catholic teachings have it right.”

Now on to you in particular and how you describe yourself. Bravo, a kind and productive citizen of this world, less abundant than most of us would hope. You take care of your family and those around you, sacrifice your own wishes for the service of others, including being kind and generous to the larger world and in my opinion you are “not far from the kingdom.” Does Jesus Christ echo something similar? Absolutely he does and I could expound on that with thousands of words. But I will just say this --- go read upon the Last Judgment, Matthew 25:31-46, and see what the Lord determines what is by far the most important measures that separates the sheep from the goats. Hint: it is charity!

Then read the Beatitudes in Matthew 5 and see what Jesus says --- including---

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

I see a lot of humble and charitable people (in those verses) who very well may lack faith or understanding in the Christian faith still being honored or saved by God. And many other passages I will not belabor this post with.

I will quickly conclude with the point that for some of us believers we rejoice in great hope for all of mankind, not just believers by any means. But neither do we accept that just because one believes he has passed “the test.” Not even! The devil lurks and wishes nothing more than to bring down the believers and their clergy in scandal because that causes the greatest harm and doubt amongst those who are now of unbelief.

Blastcat

A great barrier to anyone exercising faith is that they cannot accept a good God would allow so much suffering on earth. And by remaining in dissent they often refuse to consider all that has been manifested in history which cries out the God of Abraham is God.
Oh.. I don't refuse to consider it at all. That's a slander. Many thoughtful, intellectually honest people have considered it for a very long time and discovered, to their dismay, that they could not accept this God as true. It may "cry out" to you.. but your well meaning conviction isn't what will convince a clear thinking person. We lack evidence for this God, and we know that humans have the propensity to invent all kinds of supernatural beings and then believe in them as if literally true. This isn't justified, however.

You might have the idea that atheists "hate" your god.. and "refuse" your god beliefs.. Although that might be the case of some atheists, I can assure you that it is not the case for all atheists. I would ask you to NOT over-generalize and paint us with your least generous brush. thank you.
Perhaps when God said He created us in His own image that is partially what He was referring to? He, too, prefers one who chooses to love Him and sacrifice for Him and take risks, as opposed to creating a being incapable of making free will choices to want to love Him.
Perhaps.. yes, perhaps a LOT of things.. when we really don't know anything, we can invent literally infinite possibilities to fit. BUT it is never reasonable to go from something that only PERHAPS can be true, to saying that it IS true. Perhaps isn't "is".

Perhaps you are WRONG, so therefore you ARE wrong.. this is fallacious reasoning.. and I only use it to demonstrate that your thinking here is fallacious. Your analogy and your line of reasoning fails here due to this error. You MIGHT be right.. but you only demonstrated that PERHAPS you are right. and NOT that you ARE right.

Perhaps God is perfectly evil.. that's another perhaps. A god who would send anyone to eternal torture is PERHAPS evil.. and perhaps, perfectly so. Again, I only speculate to show you that YOU have speculated.. and that we can do this all day.. to no avail at all.
As given in Scripture, Our Lord says man is higher than the angels for this very reason of free will. Our earthly trials merit these greater virtues and are more pleasing to God.
Well, as to scripture, of course we KNOW that humans wrote the scriptures.. and we DO NOT know that a real god had anything to do with it. We don't know who wrote the scriptures or why .. or in many cases, when. We don't even know if the Scriptures are pure fiction or not. I would agree that they are PRESENTED as fact.. but we just can't verify most "facts" in scripture. So, its nice that you tell us about how you interpret your STORY of what YOUR LORD says, but let's be honest and remember that this is merely a story that you take as true.. to some degree..

I am not so burdened. God, Heaven, Hell, this love of human free will, all of this.. stories. Now, you BELIEVE that these stories are true. I don't. Atheists don't.

Your interpretation that God set all of this up for human free will to flourish, doesn't add up, in my view. IF as you say, humans are FREE to CHOOSE god or not god, then it would seem RIDICULOUS to imagine an eternal suffering for one of the CHOICES.

To say that anyone in his or her right mind would freely CHOOSE eternal torture is ridiculous.

Only a very deranged person, someone INSANE would freely choose to burn for ever. Your god seems evil beyond belief.
Life is a trial, a test, a means to an end. There is no honor if it requires no effort and no faith on our part. If that were the case, God may as well have just bypassed humanity and earth and made us all like angels incapable of sinning but also no valor in our beings.
Hmm very strange ideas here too.. Let's just get one thing out of the way here.. angels are INCAPABLE of sinning? Are you sure of that? So, in your view, Satan didn't sin, and is INCAPABLE of sinning? Do you perhaps think that Satan isn't an angel. or wasn't an angel and didn't rebel against your god in your heaven.. And IF angels are INCAPABLE of sinning.. does that mean these beings have no FREE WILL of any kind? But it looks as if as soon as anyone tries to EXERCISE his free will.. he is sent to HELL ... So, by this you mean god loves free will? I can't see how that follows. Sorry.

Now, you introduce the concept of HONOR.. are you now saying that free will is not as important as HONOR to God? Which is it, HONOR or FREE WILL that is important? Because, if as you say that FREE WILL is the highest value God has, then the FREEDOM of the choice would be more important always than the KIND of choice that it would be. It wouldn't matter if the choice was easy or not. AS LONG as the choice was a FREE one, it would be GOOD.. and MOST GOOD by your reasoning.. HONOR would be quite secondary to FREEDOM.

So, is it the ONLY possible HONORABLE CHOICE that God values more, or a truly FREE CHOICE that might or might not be honorable?.. it can't be both.

So, God sets life up as a test.. and makes it HONORABLE to FREELY CHOOSE God instead of not God. And, I suppose a SINFUL CHOICE to FREELY CHOOSE not god. What a choice.. to burn or not to burn. Well DUH. Sorry, that's not a real freedom to CHOOSE at all. Unless you are completely insane and desire to burn for all eternity.. Yes, some people are probably that insane.
God allows suffering and evil to bring out a greater good in us.
So, let me get this straight.. but GOD creates humans with the capacity to be less good... and then will grant them Heaven if they have brought out the greater good in themselves, and punish those who haven't to Hell. Looks like an injunction to me, and not an offer of free choice at all. Do THIS , bring out the greater good or BURN.

I don't see that as a free choice at all , but a divine order to BEHAVE in a certain way or else.
Why must there be a hell, I submit, surpasses all mysteries of life, death and eternity. It seems apparent that answer is not for man to know this side of the grave and is as God so intended.
I can agree with that. It's a mystery why anyone would believe this nonsense. As you say, you cannot know any of it is real. And YET you believe. Believing in something without good reason or evidence is how I define BAD THINKING.
Has not enough been revealed to us in order to know God exists, what He asks of us, and what He promises to those willing to accept it and try to live by the gospel?
Of course not. That's why there are so many different KINDS of god beliefs, and why there are atheists and agnostics. If it were PLAIN, there wouldn't be this kind of debate at all.
What right does one have to demand the answers to all of their questions before they accept all else which has been revealed?
Oh.. so you think people don't have a RIGHT to question your beliefs.. Well, insulate yourself all you want. That's not a point in your favor. If you don't question your beliefs, you can't EVER know if they are true or false ones. And if you can't know if your beliefs are true or false, you have NO justification for saying that they ARE true.

So, if we don't have a RIGHT to question or doubt this belief, where is the FREE WILL IN THAT?.. sorry, this thinking of yours makes NO sense in the context of free choice.

Do we have the RIGHT to freely choose to doubt or do we NOT have the RIGHT to freely choose to ask questions?

And if you can't do that.. then you might as well believe in anything else that is similarly unjustified. But you seem to think that BECAUSE you can't know something, that it's a reason to say that you KNOW IT.. I find that .. incredibly nonsensical.
Is that not the great sin of the pride of man? Is this not where our faith is truly tested? “My ways are not your ways, sayeth the Lord.”
Sin? We can't accept your concept of sin, because you haven't demonstrated that it's a real thing, that your god is a real thing.. so, No, pride isn't a sin. Pride is maybe a very bad method for knowing anything.. and should be avoided.. But this is all irrelevant to the truth of your beliefs. Unless, of course, you are making the claim that if I don't believe what you do, I'm being "prideful"...

Well, I could just as easily say that your belief in a super being is due to pride. You over-valuate your knowledge. That's pride, my friend. I'm being humble in NOT stating mere possibilities as probabilities.
Perhaps no one can say why there has to be an eternal hell for some souls, but I do have a question for those who may reject God for that reason.
I guess, in your view, you can't know the mind of god.. so, perhaps yes. You admitted above that you simply could know know why there has to be a hell.
Why must there be a hell, I submit, surpasses all mysteries of life, death and eternity.
So, we agree. You can't know why there is a hell. I guess, to you, it just is.. any rationalization on your part is purely speculative. I can speculate too. Your god was an invention of a barbaric people. And the concept of an eternal punishment fits perfectly with an evil, jealous, vengeful god such as Yahweh. But that's mere speculation. Right?

We don't have to pretend that speculation is the truth. You can speculate all you want, and I am free to speculate all I want.
If you are not happy with the idea of being given the gift of eternal life because the possibility of hell also exists, then maybe you can appeal in a prayer?
People don't generally try to communicate with something that they don't consider real. Praying about hell didn't help YOUR understanding of it, why would you think that it would help an UNBELIEVER in all of this to "understand"? Atheists don't generally believe in god magic. So, asking for some magical understanding wouldn't BE a technique an atheist would ever consider.

That god magic belief is something that THEISTS have.. not atheists. We don't pray.. A lot of us HAVE prayed, and HAVE been believers.. and came to the conclusion that magic isn't real. No kind of magic is real. And that prayer has been demonstrated to not work. Magic thinking isn't real. Sorry.
I am curious to know if this disturbance to the idea of hell is a primary reason many choose to not to think about God very much or do much about it?
I can only speak for myself. The question of Hell and Evil in the world is ONE of the many reasons I can't believe in this god of yours. There are many more reasons, of course. I guess for me, the biggest reason I give as much credibility for your god than I do for Santa Clause is the lack of evidence for either.. Or for any supernatural being of any sort.

If there was good evidence for any of this.. I'd just believe like you do. But I would need very good reasons to believe in Santa Claus or ghosts or what have you. God.. demons, spirits, things that go bump in the night.. bring the evidence, and then I'll believe. Bring bad evidence, and I won't. That's basically it.

This whole heaven and hell storm in a tea cup is rather meaningless to me. It's a topic here.. I respond to it.. and to your line of reasoning. For me, you might as WELL be making a case for Santa.. or Vishnu or .. take your pick of weird beliefs.
why would anyone still not be fascinated, if not obsessed, with what life and death is all about and what may lie ahead?
We can speculate for the rest of our lives. After a while, this "obsession" gets old. As soon as I decided that I couldn't possibly know anything about it.. I dropped it. I had other things to do and think about. I was 12 at the time.

But, IF EVER someone gets any evidence at all of any kind, DO let me know.. I'm in this forum for a REASON.. But no, I'm not obsessed about something I can't know about. That would be wasting my time.
The evidence can be found in so many places, in so many ways about this God which so many want to believe in yet keep at a safe distance just the same.
Again, if that were truly the case, I'd be a believer. We really don't agree on the quality of your "evidence"
The evidence for Jesus, Mary, the saints, the miracles, heaven, hell, purgatory, and redemption all can be known.
- You keep forgetting that you also say that you can't know anything about hell.. Make up your mind.. DO YOU have evidence of hell or of heaven?
God’s promise to the world is that heaven awaits those who seek Him, yet if you choose to be filled with pride and live this life only for yourself, its pleasures and its comforts --- and in so doing ignore His calling, even His existence, then perhaps an awful fate is possible?
- I explained that pride has nothing at all to do with my unbelief.. I do NOT only live my life for myself, thank you very much, and I don't only live for comfort. I don't IGNORE any calling.. I don't HAVE any calling. And then yes, you can threaten me with your speculations and really bad things if I don't believe what you do.

So , I have to reject all of the above.. You are WRONG to say that I must be "filled with pride" .. ( and if I were.. you think self-love is a bad thing? .. is self-hate better?)
You are quite WRONG to generalize in a negative way about those who don't agree with you.. Wrong and childish.
And you are WRONG to try to coerce me to believe what you do by threatening me with an after-life punishment. Wrong because it's the behavior of a bully, and it's wrong because I could never BELIEVE in something JUST TO AVOID PAIN.

I'm not at all impressed, nor are very many people convinced by Pascal's Wager. I have NO idea why people insist on trotting out that very bad line of reasoning to support their beliefs. It just can't work, it doesn't make sense, and it's based on a very different kind of a god than is believed in by the ones using the argument. It's a BAD argument.. if it WERE a really good argument, I would be a believer.
It is a risk, granted, but is it unfair? Would one prefer to be turned into a rock instead? Maybe God will honor your free will and grant such a way out? But who would choose anything so dour and final as that when there is so much to hope for and be grateful for? Nothing unfair or unloving about it in the least.

Lovely speculation. but it rests on the foundation of prayer magic. Drop to your knees, wish real hard, and it happens, by MAGIC.. the story line of most of the Santa movies. Not very impressive at all. I'm a grown up and I don't happen to need magical thinking in my life. Reality is enough for me.

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. Was fun to engage you this way.
“God reveals His covenant to those who fear Him.”

So, if you believe in God, you therefore believe in God. Right. I agree.

Last edited:

Awoon

Ancient "holy books" have run their course in Human history. It is time for Humankind to create a new language that pulls humankind up instead of putting it down. Myths and Legends and Gods and Devils are the products of power hungry Humans that has no place in the world today. They are DEAD.

A Vestigial Mote

For one, it makes zero sense to me that God would have just planted some seeds and then sat back and watched what craziness would develop just for His own entertainment without having a higher purpose and some divine communication. Secondly, there are so many reasons that the Judeo-Christian G-d has shown Himself as truly The One that for us to cast it all aside as unlikely or unimportant or strange coincidence is insulting on many levels, IMO.

This all only "works" or makes sense under the assumption that God exists. I do not feel that I can make that assumption.

Blastcat

Thanks for your response.
Are you suggesting that there are not those who are more selfish than you, who primarily do live for pleasure and comfort and have little regard for some they may have “used” for their own personal gain, and even less regard for strangers?

- Well, just don't start with the presupposition that those who don't believe in your religions are selfish or evil. That's a grand generalization that you just can't make, and it's thoroughly bigoted of you to think so. I know a lot of people, most of which happen to be Christians. I can ASSURE you that a lot of these fine people are selfish and live for pleasure and comfort and have little regard for strangers..

I hope you aren't saying that only people who hold YOUR particular beliefs can possibly be unselfish and good.. Because, that would be a horrible way to start a conversation about morals. We should try to elevate the level of discourse beyond the schoolyard "I know you are, but what I'm I?"

There are good people on both sides of the fence here, OK? Is that acceptable to you? Can we agree on that for starters?
Maybe it isn't. So, I'll stop here and see if you do agree.

Levite

Higher and Higher
For Christians like myself, once we are convinced of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ via various ways, evidence, et al., then we have no reason to doubt his word. And just because we cannot be certain of every single doctrine (such as is hell really eternal?), we can be certain of those most critical for us, i.e. the importance of faithfulness, obedience, prayer, charity, and the realities of heaven, hell and purgatory.

If you say so. Still sounds like a theological mare's nest I'm happy to avoid.

Perhaps, but Sheol is no bargain. There are not many Sadducees left so I expect most practicing Jews are pretty well fixed they will live on after death?

Nobody believes in Sheol anymore. Haven't for like 2000+ years.

Generally speaking, most Jews believe in Olam ha-Ba, the World To Come. More or less analogous to Heaven. Some Jews also believe in a kind of purgatory called Gehinnom where souls who die in transgression go for a short time before entering Olam ha-Ba, but this is not a universal dogma. Some Jews believe in a kind of cycle of reincarnation called gilgulei neshamot wherein we may balance our cosmic scales and fulfill our divine purpose before going to Olam ha-Ba. Some believe that unworthy souls lose their indentity and unqiue cohesiveness after death, while the others go on to Olam ha-Ba. Some Jews believe in a much more impersonal and abstract continuation of the soul after death, with retention of consciousness varying, instead of any other kind of Olam ha-Ba or other afterlife features. There are and have been a few other concepts, also.

thau

- Well, just don't start with the presupposition that those who don't believe in your religions are selfish or evil. That's a grand generalization that you just can't make, and it's thoroughly bigoted of you to think so. I know a lot of people, most of which happen to be Christians. I can ASSURE you that a lot of these fine people are selfish and live for pleasure and comfort and have little regard for strangers..

I hope you aren't saying that only people who hold YOUR particular beliefs can possibly be unselfish and good.. Because, that would be a horrible way to start a conversation about morals. We should try to elevate the level of discourse beyond the schoolyard "I know you are, but what I'm I?"

There are good people on both sides of the fence here, OK? Is that acceptable to you? Can we agree on that for starters?
Maybe it isn't. So, I'll stop here and see if you do agree.

No, I am not saying what you are hoping I am not saying. Not even close. I do not even see how you could gather that? I did say some people live for themselves in a selfish way and some live for others and some live for God. So what? And some believers are scoundrels and some atheists are close to saints. Ok?

So, yes, we totally agree for starters. I will see what I can do with your much longer post earlier, but duty may call.

thau

If you say so. Still sounds like a theological mare's nest I'm happy to avoid.

Nobody believes in Sheol anymore. Haven't for like 2000+ years.

Generally speaking, most Jews believe in Olam ha-Ba, the World To Come. More or less analogous to Heaven. Some Jews also believe in a kind of purgatory called Gehinnom where souls who die in transgression go for a short time before entering Olam ha-Ba, but this is not a universal dogma. Some Jews believe in a kind of cycle of reincarnation called gilgulei neshamot wherein we may balance our cosmic scales and fulfill our divine purpose before going to Olam ha-Ba. Some believe that unworthy souls lose their indentity and unqiue cohesiveness after death, while the others go on to Olam ha-Ba. Some Jews believe in a much more impersonal and abstract continuation of the soul after death, with retention of consciousness varying, instead of any other kind of Olam ha-Ba or other afterlife features. There are and have been a few other concepts, also.
Well I have not, but I wish I had the time to learn more about the Jewish faith and its history. But I do find it curious that there are so many different beliefs going around on the afterlife which you noted. Is there Scripture basis for all or any of those beliefs?

Given that confusion, I am only interested in what the Orthodox Jewish belief or beliefs are on life after death and a possible Sheol. I do have some ancient document myself link where it points to a Jewish belief in a type of purgatory but I will let that be for now.

thau

Oh.. I don't refuse to consider it at all. That's a slander. Many thoughtful, intellectually honest people have considered it for a very long time and discovered, to their dismay, that they could not accept this God as true. It may "cry out" to you.. but your well meaning conviction isn't what will convince a clear thinking person. We lack evidence for this God, and we know that humans have the propensity to invent all kinds of supernatural beings and then believe in them as if literally true. This isn't justified, however.

You might have the idea that atheists "hate" your god.. and "refuse" your god beliefs.. Although that might be the case of some atheists, I can assure you that it is not the case for all atheists. I would ask you to NOT over-generalize and paint us with your least generous brush. thank you.

Perhaps.. yes, perhaps a LOT of things.. when we really don't know anything, we can invent literally infinite possibilities to fit. BUT it is never reasonable to go from something that only PERHAPS can be true, to saying that it IS true. Perhaps isn't "is".

Perhaps you are WRONG, so therefore you ARE wrong.. this is fallacious reasoning.. and I only use it to demonstrate that your thinking here is fallacious. Your analogy and your line of reasoning fails here due to this error. You MIGHT be right.. but you only demonstrated that PERHAPS you are right. and NOT that you ARE right.

Perhaps God is perfectly evil.. that's another perhaps. A god who would send anyone to eternal torture is PERHAPS evil.. and perhaps, perfectly so. Again, I only speculate to show you that YOU have speculated.. and that we can do this all day.. to no avail at all.

Well, as to scripture, of course we KNOW that humans wrote the scriptures.. and we DO NOT know that a real god had anything to do with it. We don't know who wrote the scriptures or why .. or in many cases, when. We don't even know if the Scriptures are pure fiction or not. I would agree that they are PRESENTED as fact.. but we just can't verify most "facts" in scripture. So, its nice that you tell us about how you interpret your STORY of what YOUR LORD says, but let's be honest and remember that this is merely a story that you take as true.. to some degree..

I am not so burdened. God, Heaven, Hell, this love of human free will, all of this.. stories. Now, you BELIEVE that these stories are true. I don't. Atheists don't.

Your interpretation that God set all of this up for human free will to flourish, doesn't add up, in my view. IF as you say, humans are FREE to CHOOSE god or not god, then it would seem RIDICULOUS to imagine an eternal suffering for one of the CHOICES.

To say that anyone in his or her right mind would freely CHOOSE eternal torture is ridiculous.

Only a very deranged person, someone INSANE would freely choose to burn for ever. Your god seems evil beyond belief.

Hmm very strange ideas here too.. Let's just get one thing out of the way here.. angels are INCAPABLE of sinning? Are you sure of that? So, in your view, Satan didn't sin, and is INCAPABLE of sinning? Do you perhaps think that Satan isn't an angel. or wasn't an angel and didn't rebel against your god in your heaven.. And IF angels are INCAPABLE of sinning.. does that mean these beings have no FREE WILL of any kind? But it looks as if as soon as anyone tries to EXERCISE his free will.. he is sent to HELL ... So, by this you mean god loves free will? I can't see how that follows. Sorry.

Now, you introduce the concept of HONOR.. are you now saying that free will is not as important as HONOR to God? Which is it, HONOR or FREE WILL that is important? Because, if as you say that FREE WILL is the highest value God has, then the FREEDOM of the choice would be more important always than the KIND of choice that it would be. It wouldn't matter if the choice was easy or not. AS LONG as the choice was a FREE one, it would be GOOD.. and MOST GOOD by your reasoning.. HONOR would be quite secondary to FREEDOM.

So, is it the ONLY possible HONORABLE CHOICE that God values more, or a truly FREE CHOICE that might or might not be honorable?.. it can't be both.

So, God sets life up as a test.. and makes it HONORABLE to FREELY CHOOSE God instead of not God. And, I suppose a SINFUL CHOICE to FREELY CHOOSE not god. What a choice.. to burn or not to burn. Well DUH. Sorry, that's not a real freedom to CHOOSE at all. Unless you are completely insane and desire to burn for all eternity.. Yes, some people are probably that insane.

So, let me get this straight.. but GOD creates humans with the capacity to be less good... and then will grant them Heaven if they have brought out the greater good in themselves, and punish those who haven't to Hell. Looks like an injunction to me, and not an offer of free choice at all. Do THIS , bring out the greater good or BURN.

I don't see that as a free choice at all , but a divine order to BEHAVE in a certain way or else.

I can agree with that. It's a mystery why anyone would believe this nonsense. As you say, you cannot know any of it is real. And YET you believe. Believing in something without good reason or evidence is how I define BAD THINKING.

Of course not. That's why there are so many different KINDS of god beliefs, and why there are atheists and agnostics. If it were PLAIN, there wouldn't be this kind of debate at all.

Oh.. so you think people don't have a RIGHT to question your beliefs.. Well, insulate yourself all you want. That's not a point in your favor. If you don't question your beliefs, you can't EVER know if they are true or false ones. And if you can't know if your beliefs are true or false, you have NO justification for saying that they ARE true.

So, if we don't have a RIGHT to question or doubt this belief, where is the FREE WILL IN THAT?.. sorry, this thinking of yours makes NO sense in the context of free choice.

Do we have the RIGHT to freely choose to doubt or do we NOT have the RIGHT to freely choose to ask questions?

And if you can't do that.. then you might as well believe in anything else that is similarly unjustified. But you seem to think that BECAUSE you can't know something, that it's a reason to say that you KNOW IT.. I find that .. incredibly nonsensical.

Sin? We can't accept your concept of sin, because you haven't demonstrated that it's a real thing, that your god is a real thing.. so, No, pride isn't a sin. Pride is maybe a very bad method for knowing anything.. and should be avoided.. But this is all irrelevant to the truth of your beliefs. Unless, of course, you are making the claim that if I don't believe what you do, I'm being "prideful"...

Well, I could just as easily say that your belief in a super being is due to pride. You over-valuate your knowledge. That's pride, my friend. I'm being humble in NOT stating mere possibilities as probabilities.

I guess, in your view, you can't know the mind of god.. so, perhaps yes. You admitted above that you simply could know know why there has to be a hell.

So, we agree. You can't know why there is a hell. I guess, to you, it just is.. any rationalization on your part is purely speculative. I can speculate too. Your god was an invention of a barbaric people. And the concept of an eternal punishment fits perfectly with an evil, jealous, vengeful god such as Yahweh. But that's mere speculation. Right?

We don't have to pretend that speculation is the truth. You can speculate all you want, and I am free to speculate all I want.

People don't generally try to communicate with something that they don't consider real. Praying about hell didn't help YOUR understanding of it, why would you think that it would help an UNBELIEVER in all of this to "understand"? Atheists don't generally believe in god magic. So, asking for some magical understanding wouldn't BE a technique an atheist would ever consider.

That god magic belief is something that THEISTS have.. not atheists. We don't pray.. A lot of us HAVE prayed, and HAVE been believers.. and came to the conclusion that magic isn't real. No kind of magic is real. And that prayer has been demonstrated to not work. Magic thinking isn't real. Sorry.

I can only speak for myself. The question of Hell and Evil in the world is ONE of the many reasons I can't believe in this god of yours. There are many more reasons, of course. I guess for me, the biggest reason I give as much credibility for your god than I do for Santa Clause is the lack of evidence for either.. Or for any supernatural being of any sort.

If there was good evidence for any of this.. I'd just believe like you do. But I would need very good reasons to believe in Santa Claus or ghosts or what have you. God.. demons, spirits, things that go bump in the night.. bring the evidence, and then I'll believe. Bring bad evidence, and I won't. That's basically it.

This whole heaven and hell storm in a tea cup is rather meaningless to me. It's a topic here.. I respond to it.. and to your line of reasoning. For me, you might as WELL be making a case for Santa.. or Vishnu or .. take your pick of weird beliefs.

We can speculate for the rest of our lives. After a while, this "obsession" gets old. As soon as I decided that I couldn't possibly know anything about it.. I dropped it. I had other things to do and think about. I was 12 at the time.

But, IF EVER someone gets any evidence at all of any kind, DO let me know.. I'm in this forum for a REASON.. But no, I'm not obsessed about something I can't know about. That would be wasting my time.

Again, if that were truly the case, I'd be a believer. We really don't agree on the quality of your "evidence"

- You keep forgetting that you also say that you can't know anything about hell.. Make up your mind.. DO YOU have evidence of hell or of heaven?

- I explained that pride has nothing at all to do with my unbelief.. I do NOT only live my life for myself, thank you very much, and I don't only live for comfort. I don't IGNORE any calling.. I don't HAVE any calling. And then yes, you can threaten me with your speculations and really bad things if I don't believe what you do.

So , I have to reject all of the above.. You are WRONG to say that I must be "filled with pride" .. ( and if I were.. you think self-love is a bad thing? .. is self-hate better?)
You are quite WRONG to generalize in a negative way about those who don't agree with you.. Wrong and childish.
And you are WRONG to try to coerce me to believe what you do by threatening me with an after-life punishment. Wrong because it's the behavior of a bully, and it's wrong because I could never BELIEVE in something JUST TO AVOID PAIN.

I'm not at all impressed, nor are very many people convinced by Pascal's Wager. I have NO idea why people insist on trotting out that very bad line of reasoning to support their beliefs. It just can't work, it doesn't make sense, and it's based on a very different kind of a god than is believed in by the ones using the argument. It's a BAD argument.. if it WERE a really good argument, I would be a believer.

Lovely speculation. but it rests on the foundation of prayer magic. Drop to your knees, wish real hard, and it happens, by MAGIC.. the story line of most of the Santa movies. Not very impressive at all. I'm a grown up and I don't happen to need magical thinking in my life. Reality is enough for me.

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. Was fun to engage you this way.

So, if you believe in God, you therefore believe in God. Right. I agree.

Woe is me that I did not make myself clear enough that I was not referring to all atheists and agnostics and unbelievers when I said >>” A great barrier to anyone exercising faith is that they cannot accept a good God would allow so much suffering on earth.”<< Be that as it may, the statement is clearly not a grand indictment, it is not even an indictment at all. All it is saying is that some cannot accept a God who allows so much suffering. Ok? Why is that so controversial with you when it makes sense to many on both sides of these arguments. I get their sorrow.

Next you spend wayyy too much time on my use of the word “perhaps.” Really? I am stating two strong beliefs of mine which whether they are connected or not (perhaps connected) is not all that important. They both stand on their own. God made us in His image (His word says) and we were given free will and much sorrow and sacrifice comes with that. My conjecture connecting the two was very secondary in importance. You just went way off the tracks in riding that word perhaps into lands unknown.

Yes, angels are incapable of sinning we are taught. The exception to this rule preceded mankind by eons when the angel of light, Lucifer, rebelled. Just leave it alone, ok? What kind of world was back then does not resemble what we have now or what we are needing to know.

Man has free will. I did not say he has free will to choose heaven or hell at the moment of his death. But during his life time what is preventing you from choosing an infinite number of ways to go, things to do, people to cohort with, etc.? And for the many who have heard the gospel, they are at least partially accountable for their choices knowing what our God has taught us or shown us. So do not be surprised when all those choices at some later date make the “big choice” for us.

Suffering has many great virtues. I explained it as well as I could already. The answers to your questions can be found in that text.

You seem to be misinterpreting things. I did not say people do not have a right to question my beliefs, I said we do not have a right to demand answers of all of our questions of God. Hello!

I have to leave. Basically you are saying thus far that no claims of the eternal excite you because we have no proof our God even exists. Well you are not all that different than so many others who demand empirical evidence, physical proof of the supernatural, otherwise it means zero to you. I, personally, find that base of a position to lack any real kind of honest study, or honest period. But I will leave you with two miracles, what I call empirical evidence of the Christian God. Many others have seen these posted by me many times before so my apologies for redundancy.

-----------------------------------------------------

Nothing has ever been brought forward that could sincerely explain away the supernatural events at Fatima, Portugal, 1917. Three young shepherd children have reported seeing the Virgin Mary each month. On July 13ththey tell the anxious crowd assembled that the Virgin Mary will perform a miracle for all to see in 90 days on October 13. Which explains why 70,000 believers and scoffers assemble on October 13, a very dark, rainy and muddy day. The three children arrive and soon after Lucia points to the sky. The sun splits the grey clouds and begins to twirl, bounce and dance defying cosmic laws. It shoots of multi colored rays across the whole landscape changing the color of the people's faces, blue, green, yellow. All are spellbound. Then after 12 minutes the sun grows in great size, turns blood red and charges the earth. All are terrified, then suddenly the sun recedes and all is peaceful. The very muddy ground and drenched clothes are inexplicably now dry.

The Marxist and anti-clerical journalists from ‘O Seculo’ Lisbon newspaper humbly report the truth in their newspaper. There are also countless testimonies in print and on film as to what took place including scientists. It’s all there for anyone’s serious research. Some do not see this phenomenon, but the vast majority do and their accounts are very much the same. If God chooses to deny some a gift or manifestation how does that discount the accounts of all the other eye witnesses? This is no minor miracle. It was predicted to very day it would occur by three small children back in July. And this does not impress the doubters? Mass hallucination has no validity if one is honest about all of the facts and details. It is a hyper improbable theory at best. God did what he chose here to show the world He is real and that He is the God of Jesus Christ, not Buddha, Muhammad or any others. It is the one salient miracle that remains unassailable and incontrovertible, in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Move ahead to April 1968 to Zeitoun, Egypt outside of Cairo. Muslim workers notice a womanly, icy figure on top of a Christian Coptic cathedral at midnight. It is the Virgin Mary. It causes a major stir. For the next 4 months Mary appears on top of that cathedral blessing the crowd, moving about freely on the domed roof tops, bowing to the cross, but never speaking. She is icy but fluent. She appears at night only around 20 times over the next several months. The crowds are enormous, as many as 50,000 a night hoping for an appearance. The vast majority are Muslims of course. On the nights Mary does appear most see her, but many others do not. It's God's way, the spirit blows where it may. But over 300,000 are estimated to have seen Mary on at least one occasion. Large numbers.

The visions are accompanied by unidentified lights, colorful plumes of smoke, and dovelike birds flying at dizzying speeds in the night whenever Mary appears. All in the crowd witness these accompanying signs. Who can explain away that phenomenon as something natural? No authorities or investigations have ever been able to explain the source for the lights, colors, smoke or birds. Photographs are taken and most do not develop. Yet later some do develop but not with great clarity. Again, God’s ways are His own. Mary’s appearance is shown on Egyptian TV on one occasion. Abdul Nassar witnesses this apparition for himself. It is reported at least twice in the NY Times in May and August of 1968. But secular America is too wrapped up in political uprisings and hippie movements to notice or care.

Blastcat

No, I am not saying what you are hoping I am not saying. Not even close. I do not even see how you could gather that? I did say some people live for themselves in a selfish way and some live for others and some live for God. So what? And some believers are scoundrels and some atheists are close to saints. Ok?

So, yes, we totally agree for starters. I will see what I can do with your much longer post earlier, but duty may call.

Good, Thanks for clearing that up. I've made a few errors, by reading too fast.. So, thanks for hanging in there. I hate to be wrong, but heck.. I do write fast.

Now, do you mean to say that IF say, I live for others but I don't believe in your god.. that I go to Hell even so?

Woe is me that I did not make myself clear enough that I was not referring to all atheists and agnostics and unbelievers when I said >>” A great barrier to anyone exercising faith is that they cannot accept a good God would allow so much suffering on earth.”<<

- Oops, another of my fine errors. You were referring to anyone exercising faith... oops that can't include me, as an atheist. I misread.. sorry. Thanks again, I'll make sure to read more carefully next time, and maybe not post when I'm in a bit of a rush.

Be that as it may, the statement is clearly not a grand indictment, it is not even an indictment at all. All it is saying is that some cannot accept a God who allows so much suffering.
Ok, cool, yes, now I understand what you meant. The problem of evil is sure tough on Christian faith.

Next you spend wayyy too much time on my use of the word “perhaps.” Really? I am stating two strong beliefs of mine which whether they are connected or not (perhaps connected) is not all that important.

I was noticing that you went from something being perhaps true, to just true in the very next line. That would be fallacious. That's why I focused on the word "perhaps".. If it's perhaps, then it's not true. It's just a mere possibility, and we can make those up all day long, and not get very much further than entertaining ourselves with fabulous stories.

God made us in His image (His word says)

This is your belief, not a fact of any kind. It's at best "perhaps" true.

and we were given free will and much sorrow and sacrifice comes with that.

Again, merely a statement of belief, but not of a fact. This is the perhaps.. this is speculation on your part.

Yes, angels are incapable of sinning we are taught. The exception to this rule preceded mankind by eons when the angel of light, Lucifer, rebelled. Just leave it alone, ok?

Why don't I leave everything you say alone, so you can preach uncontested? You say angels are INCAPABLE of sinning, EXCEPT.. why is there an exception when you IMPLY every angel is incapable of sinning.. You should say instead SOME angels are incapable of sinning, and that we have at least ONE example.. ( actually, aren't there a whole bunch of these fallen angels? )

You imply ALL angels, and you really mean SOME angels.. sorry. What is it going to be .. ALL angels or SOME angels?

What kind of world was back then does not resemble what we have now or what we are needing to know.

Oh, so if something IN THE PAST was true of angels it isn't true ANY MORE .. I see.. what you REALLY meant was that angels aren't capable of sinning ANY MORE... you should have stipulated. Of course how you could KNOW that they aren't capable of sinning any longer is.. well.. is... stunning.

Man has free will. I did not say he has free will to choose heaven or hell at the moment of his death.

Oh, good. I wasn't talking about the moment of his death, either.

So do not be surprised when all those choices at some later date make the “big choice” for us.

Yeah, I think I understand what you meant. I don't CHOOSE God right now, so I should expect to go to hell.. No matter HOW good of a person I am, the only thing that matters to this god of yours is if I CHOOSE to believe in it. Yeah.. got it. Not a deathbed conversion.. although I HAVE heard of those.. apparently you go to heaven if you convert at the very last moment... NO?.. YES?.. I've heard all kinds of opinions on that.. angels can refuse god, they can't.. they USED to be able to, not any more.. Deathbed conversions work, or they don't.. lots and lots of opinions.. yes yes yes.. but yours is the correct opinion, yes?

Why?

Suffering has many great virtues. I explained it as well as I could already. The answers to your questions can be found in that text.

I didn't ask you any questions about suffering.. You can get a VIRTUE from suffering in hell of all eternity without any possible way of getting out.. that has a virtue? Weird idea of a virtue....

You seem to be misinterpreting things. I did not say people do not have a right to question my beliefs, I said we do not have a right to demand answers of all of our questions of God. Hello!

When I demand an ANSWER it's usually because I've asked a very important QUESTION.. So, we don't have a right to QUESTION?

[QUOTE...]we have no proof our God even exists. Well you are not all that different than so many others who demand empirical evidence, physical proof of the supernatural, otherwise it means zero to you.[/QUOTE]

Any kind of evidence. Bring SUPERNATURAL evidence if you like.. show us the SUPERNATURAL evidence.. do that.. make magic. Bring SOMETHING to the table... if not.. your GOD here behaves very much like something that doesn't EXIST... Something that doesn't exist ALSO has no supporting evidence of any kind.. You see, non existing beings and your god has that IN COMMON...

But you aren't at all concerned about that, are you?

I, personally, find that base of a position to lack any real kind of honest study, or honest period.

Because I ask for evidence of your claims, and I don't get any I'M dishonest? really.. No. I am MERELY asking you for evidence OF ANY KIND.. I already ASKED you to not generalize me into your ungenerous corner. I am NOT dishonest. Thank you very much.

Nothing has ever been brought forward that could sincerely explain away the supernatural events at Fatima, Portugal, 1917.

- Except that the argument from ignorance doesn't convince critical thinkers. It MIGHT sway unsophisticated thinkers.. but ah .. no. A miracle was claimed. Lots of people attest to it. We don't have more than this claim. End of story. These people were HUGELY biased in favor of miracles.. they were WAITING for signs.. it's no wonder they "got" one.

It is the one salient miracle that remains unassailable and incontrovertible, in my opinion.

Yes, a lot of believers hold that opinion. The "miracle" didn't satisfy the outsiders, however. That's a bit of a problem. Why do you thin that is? Pride, selfishness, not living for others, as you mentioned?
Or is it just pure foolishness on our part.. and it IS a huge bunch of people not believing in your miracle... All of us are foolish, is THAT what you want me to believe is true?..

Look at it from another perspective.. IF the secular scientists would have TOLD me that a miracle really did happen, I would BELIEVE them.. mostly.. But that didn't HAPPEN.. sorry. Your miracle can ONLY convince the ones who already believe!

So, if God's plan was to CONVINCE US by way of MIRACLE that he existed.. God is INEFFECTIVE. WTF?

I MUST BE SO SELFISH.. lol.. or foolish.. or WHAT exactly?

Same goes for any other miracle claim that isn't convincing all of us DISHONEST people of the world.. yeah.

A Vestigial Mote

Nothing has ever been brought forward that could sincerely explain away the supernatural events at Fatima, Portugal, 1917. Three young shepherd children have reported seeing the Virgin Mary each month. On July 13ththey tell the anxious crowd assembled that the Virgin Mary will perform a miracle for all to see in 90 days on October 13. Which explains why 70,000 believers and scoffers assemble on October 13, a very dark, rainy and muddy day. The three children arrive and soon after Lucia points to the sky. The sun splits the grey clouds and begins to twirl, bounce and dance defying cosmic laws. It shoots of multi colored rays across the whole landscape changing the color of the people's faces, blue, green, yellow. All are spellbound. Then after 12 minutes the sun grows in great size, turns blood red and charges the earth. All are terrified, then suddenly the sun recedes and all is peaceful. The very muddy ground and drenched clothes are inexplicably now dry.

Because of this post I did look this up and read on it. There's nothing I saw in the accounts of the sun growing in size, turning red and "charging the earth", nor the muddy ground and wet clothes all being dry. The accounts I read stuck to the facts, of course, so perhaps the rendition you got those elements from suffer from the effects you get from things like the kindergarten "telephone" game.

Also, with not everyone present experiencing the "dancing sun" phenomenon, and not all accounts from even those claiming they saw something matching, doesn't it really point to a bunch of people, wanting so hard to believe, STARING AT THE SUN too long and burning their retinas - thereby causing all sorts of colors and weirdness to ensue within their vision? The accounts sure fit that description, in my opinion.

Besides, what about all of the following weirdness about "Consecrating Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary"? Supposedly done by church officials on a few occasions after the prophecy was made known - but, of course, since "world peace" didn't ensue, some officials had to retract and say it wasn't done according to the prophecies. Obviously.

I ask you - if God wants us to believe, then why would he even perform half-assed "miracles" that leave everyone wondering if there is some other explanation? Why exclude certain people who were RIGHT THERE from witnessing the events in the same way? Why react to the (likely sincere) attempt at the "concecration of Russia" with anything less than the promised/prophesied result of world peace, etc.? It seems more like some elaborate game to me. Cosmic Hide and Seek, or a badly formed rehash of "Clue". Except that the stakes are told to be ETERNAL SUFFERING for the losers. What if I just don't want to play?

thau

Because of this post I did look this up and read on it. There's nothing I saw in the accounts of the sun growing in size, turning red and "charging the earth", nor the muddy ground and wet clothes all being dry. The accounts I read stuck to the facts, of course, so perhaps the rendition you got those elements from suffer from the effects you get from things like the kindergarten "telephone" game.

Also, with not everyone present experiencing the "dancing sun" phenomenon, and not all accounts from even those claiming they saw something matching, doesn't it really point to a bunch of people, wanting so hard to believe, STARING AT THE SUN too long and burning their retinas - thereby causing all sorts of colors and weirdness to ensue within their vision? The accounts sure fit that description, in my opinion.

Besides, what about all of the following weirdness about "Consecrating Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary"? Supposedly done by church officials on a few occasions after the prophecy was made known - but, of course, since "world peace" didn't ensue, some officials had to retract and say it wasn't done according to the prophecies. Obviously.

I ask you - if God wants us to believe, then why would he even perform half-assed "miracles" that leave everyone wondering if there is some other explanation? Why exclude certain people who were RIGHT THERE from witnessing the events in the same way? Why react to the (likely sincere) attempt at the "concecration of Russia" with anything less than the promised/prophesied result of world peace, etc.? It seems more like some elaborate game to me. Cosmic Hide and Seek, or a badly formed rehash of "Clue". Except that the stakes are told to be ETERNAL SUFFERING for the losers. What if I just don't want to play?

I am pressed for time but would like to respond. This large body of text below I have saved from another exchange I had with someone on the internet sometime ago. It is mostly testimonies of those present at the Fatima event, or in some cases a number of miles away. Suffice it to say, the documentation on this event is immeasurable. The eye witness testimonies are on film besides in print. Just because a small percentage of the 70,000 present saw nothing means nothing. God can do as he pleases. I can tell you the communist journalist there to mock it from 'O Seculo' Lisbon newspaper saw it. He reluctantly reported the facts in the paper two days later. I have the english translation of that article but did not include it here. The facts are truly inexplicable. There is no doubt in my mind. ---- At the end of this text below this poster was referencing the infamous Joe Nickell from some skeptic site. That is why I bring that up. So read what you would like and do as you please with it. I am out of town. I would like to answer the questions in your last paragraph later. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(a previous exchange)

Would the words of a scientist eye witness matter to you? How about the newspaper report from an atheist communist journalist? Below is a sample. There are hundreds of eye witness testimonies, maybe thousands all documented. IMO, Fatima is thee miracle that convicts the skeptic. God has made Himself known to the world through the vision given to three shepherd children and then to the 70,000 who demanded it be shown to them as well.

Essentials: The Facts: The Miracle of the Sun

An Eyewitness Account by Dr. José Maria de Almeida Garrett, professor at the Faculty of Sciences of Coimbra, Portugal

"It must have been 1:30 p.m when there arose, at the exact spot where the children were, a column of smoke, thin, fine and bluish, which extended up to perhaps two meters above their heads, and evaporated at that height. This phenomenon, perfectly visible to the naked eye, lasted for a few seconds. Not having noted how long it had lasted, I cannot say whether it was more or less than a minute. The smoke dissipated abruptly, and after some time, it came back to occur a second time, then a third time

"The sky, which had been overcast all day, suddenly cleared; the rain stopped and it looked as if the sun were about to fill with light the countryside that the wintery morning had made so gloomy. I was looking at the spot of the apparitions in a serene, if cold, expectation of something happening and with diminishing curiosity because a long time had passed without anything to excite my attention. The sun, a few moments before, had broken through the thick layer of clouds which hid it and now shone clearly and intensely.

"Suddenly I heard the uproar of thousands of voices, and I saw the whole multitude spread out in that vast space at my feet...turn their backs to that spot where, until then, all their expectations had been focused, and look at the sun on the other side. I turned around, too, toward the point commanding their gaze and I could see the sun, like a very clear disc, with its sharp edge, which gleamed without hurting the sight. It could not be confused with the sun seen through a fog (there was no fog at that moment), for it was neither veiled nor dim. At Fatima, it kept its light and heat, and stood out clearly in the sky, with a sharp edge, like a large gaming table. The most astonishing thing was to be able to stare at the solar disc for a long time, brilliant with light and heat, without hurting the eyes or damaging the retina. [During this time], the sun's disc did not remain immobile, it had a giddy motion, [but] not like the twinkling of a star in all its brilliance for it spun round upon itself in a mad whirl.

"During the solar phenomenon, which I have just described, there were also changes of color in the atmosphere. Looking at the sun, I noticed that everything was becoming darkened. I looked first at the nearest objects and then extended my glance further afield as far as the horizon. I saw everything had assumed an amethyst color. Objects around me, the sky and the atmosphere, were of the same color. Everything both near and far had changed, taking on the color of old yellow damask. People looked as if they were suffering from jaundice and I recall a sensation of amusement at seeing them look so ugly and unattractive. My own hand was the same color.

"Then, suddenly, one heard a clamor, a cry of anguish breaking from all the people. The sun, whirling wildly, seemed all at once to loosen itself from the firmament and, blood red, advance threateningly upon the earth as if to crush us with its huge and fiery weight. The sensation during those moments was truly terrible.

"All the phenomena which I have described were observed by me in a calm and serene state of mind without any emotional disturbance. It is for others to interpret and explain them. Finally, I must declare that never, before or after October 13 [1917], have I observed similar atmospheric or solar phenomena."

========================================

And the testimonies actually number in the hundreds or thousands, many on film. Here again, a sample.

HEAVEN'S PROGRAM FOR SALVATION: Testimonies to Fatima's Miracle of the Sun

Testimonies to Fatima's Miracle of the Sun

Cited below are many witness accounts from that momentous day; elsewhere on this website are photos, newspaper accounts and personal memoirs.

WRITTEN DEPOSITION by Portuguese aristocrat Baron of Alvaiazere, to Church investigators:
“. . . An indescribable impression overtook me. I only know that I cried out: I believe! I believe! And tears ran from my eyes. I was amazed, in ecstasy before the demonstration of Divine power . . . converted in that moment.”

Testimony of a Dr. Formigao, Professor at Santarem seminary
“As if like a bolt from the blue, the clouds were wrenched apart, and the sun at its zenith appeared in all its splendour. It began to revolve vertiginously on its axis, like the most magnificent fire-wheel that could be imagined, taking on all the colours of the rainbow and sending forth multi-coloured flashes of light, producing the most astounding effect. This sublime and incomparable spectacle, which was repeated three distinct times, lasted for about ten minutes.

“The immense multitude, overcome by the evidence of such a tremendous prodigy, threw themselves on their knees. The Creed, the Hail Mary, acts of contrition, burst from all lips, and tears, tears of thanksgiving and repentance sprang from all eyes.”

Report of John Carreira, a boy at the time of the miracle, who eventually became a sacristan at the Fátima shrine, serving for 50 years.
On 13 October 1917, onlookers in the crowd pressed him against the three visionary children, so that “my knees jammed between Lucia's and Francisco's feet,” he later wrote. “…I saw the sun spinning round and it seemed about to come down on us. It revolved like a bicycle wheel. Afterwards, it returned to its place . . . I wasn't afraid, but I heard people cry out: 'Oh, we are going to die! We are going to die!'”

Lawyer Carlos Mendes declared:
“I saw the sun as if it were a ball of fire, begin to move in the clouds. It had been raining all morning and the sky was full of clouds, but the rain had stopped. It lasted for several seconds, crushingly pressing down on us. Wan faces, standing here, from every side great ejaculations, acts of contrition, of the love of God. An indescribable moment! We feel it. We remain dominated by it. But it is not possible to describe it.”

Antonio de Oliveiro, farmer, said:
“I looked at the sun and saw it spinning like a disc, rolling on itself. I saw people changing colour. They were stained with the colours of the rainbow. The sun seemed to fall down from the sky… The people said that the world was going to end . . . They were afraid and screaming.”

Maria dos Prazeres, widow:
“I saw the sun turn upon itself; it seemed to fall from the sky The people around me were crying that the world was going to end.”

Dominic Reis (in TV interview in the U.S. in l960)
“The sun started to roll from one place to another and changed to blue, yellow -- all colours. Then we see the sun coming towards the children. Everyone was crying out. Some started to confess their sins because there was no priest around there . . . My mother grabbed me to her and started to cry, saying: 'It is the end of the world!' And then we see the sun come right into the trees.”

Maria Candida da Silva
“Suddenly the rain stopped and a great splendour appeared and the children cried: 'Look at the sun!' I saw the sun coming down, feeling that it was falling to the ground. At that moment, I collapsed.”

Rev. Joao Menitra
“I looked and saw that the people were in various colours -- yellow, white, blue. At the same time, I beheld the sun spinning at great speed and very near me. I at once thought: I am going to die.”.

Joaquim Lourenco, a schoolboy, was in the village of Alburitel, a few miles from Fátima.. He later became canon lawyer of the diocese of Leiria.
“… I looked fixedly at the sun, which seemed pale and did not hurt my eyes.
“Looking like a ball of snow, revolving on itself, it suddenly seemed to come down in a zigzag, menacing the earth.
“Terrified, I ran and hid myself among the people, who were weeping and expecting the end of the world at any moment. It was a crowd which had gathered outside our local village school, and we had all left classes and run into the streets because of the cries and surprised shouts of men and women who were in the street in front of the school when the miracle began.
“There was an unbeliever there who had spent the morning mocking the 'simpletons' who had gone off to Fátima just to see an ordinary girl. He now seemed paralyzed, his eyes fixed on the sun. He began to tremble from head to foot, and lifting up his arms, fell on his knees in the mud, crying out to God.
“But meanwhile the people continued to cry out and to weep, asking God to pardon their sins. We all ran to the two chapels in the village, which were soon filled to overflowing. During those long moments of the solar prodigy, objects around us turned all colours of the rainbow.

Abano Barros (a building contractor, who later became a U.S. citizen) witnessed the apparition from the village of Minde, eight miles away…
“I was watching sheep, as was my daily task, and suddenly, there in the direction of Fátima, I saw the sun fall from the sky. I thought it was the end of the world.”

Poet Alfonso Lopes Viera saw the miracle from a distance of 30 miles at the ocean-side town of San Pedro der Muel.

The miracle was also seen in Pombal, 32 miles north of Fátima.

The total land-area of visibility, based on witness interviews, was approximately 32 by 20 miles.

No records of the solar phenomena were recorded by any of the world's observatories

Summation by another Scientist at the time who studied the event in detail...

Fr. Pio Sciatizzi, professor of algebra and trigonometry at the Gregorian University, Rome, author of Fátima in the Light of Faith and Science in the 1940s wrote this: “Of the historic reality of this event there can be no doubt whatsoever. That it was outside and against known laws can be proved by certain simple scientific considerations… Given the indubitable reference to God and the general context of the event, it seems that we must attribute to Him alone the most obvious and colossal miracle of history.”

NOTE: The above reports and others were published in 1961 in Meet the Witnesses, by John Haffert, International Lay Delegate of the Blue Army of Our Lady of Fátima. (A.M.I. Press, Washington, N.J., U.S.A.).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So that is what you believe instead? Lovely. Here is what you believe based on the link you submitted: " Nickell suggested that the crowd saw a sundog, a patch of light that sometimes appears beside the sun. Sundogs are stationary, however, so that doesn't explain why people thought they saw the sun moving. So perhaps the "sun dance" appeared in the minds and perceptions of those pilgrims present — not in the skies above them."

Ok, let us consider your belief in light of some facts.

Fact: On July 13, 1917 a large crowd heard the three shepherd children say that the Virgin Mary told them she would perform a miracle on October 13th for all present to see so they would know these messages are coming from God.

Fact: Somewhere close to 70,000 people arrived in the torrents of rain and mud to the very location on that very day as predicted which included journalists from the largest Lisbon newspaper “O Seculo” which is anti-Catholic and marxist. Also in the gathering are agnostics and men of science and untold numbers of unbelievers.

Fact: It is only at the hour the three shepherd children arrive that the steady rain stops and moments later the gray skies part. A very lucky coincidence for your sundog theory wouldn’t you say?

Fact: The vast majority of the 70,000 all claim to see something very similar, not very different! How strange if this were some psychological trick or mass hallucination these “imagined” events would coincide so closely with so many thousands. I mean, they all claimed the sun danced. They all claimed it gave off multi-colored hues that covered the entire landscape, the skies, their faces and clothes. They all claimed it turned blood red, very large and charged the earth. Even those who saw nothing witnessed the entire crowd go into a panic all at once. How in the world if this were imagined, could they all have imagined the very same thing of the sun charging the earth at the very same time?

Fact: There are written testimonies and filmed testimonies of so many witnesses the unbeliever most likely does not want to investigate. The unbeliever most assuredly does not want to know of the medical doctor and science professors who were not believers who gave clear and cogent testimonies of the facts, the very facts the rest of the crowd only imagined. The unbeliever cannot explain with any reasonableness why a marxist newspaper reported the events as a miracle which they witnessed for themselves when in fact they were their to mock it and cause the faithful to doubt their faith.

Fact: The testimonies speak of everyone present being soaked to the bone because of the hours of rain, and yet, after the 10 minute solar phenomenon, they reported the ground was dry and their clothes were dry. Imagined?

Fact: This solar phenomenon was also seen and reported on by numerous witnesses who did not go to Fatima that day but were anywhere from 10 – 20 miles away. Seen because they could not help but notice, not because they were sitting in their lawn chairs staring in that direction waiting for a fireworks show. The skeptic really shows his desperation when their only defense is to say “eye witnesses can never be trusted” or words to that effect.

Fact: The odds of three young children predicting a miracle 90 days in advance to the exact day they claimed! and for it to be witnessed or testified to by 50,000 or more is beyond calculation. The odds some “sundog” appeared on that exact day and moment and fooled 50,000 or more to report seeing the same imagined phenomenon are not even worth discussing.

“When man stops believing in God he then does not believe in nothing… he will believe in anything.” (G.K. Chesterton)

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

“When man stops believing in God he then does not believe in nothing… he will believe in anything.” (G.K. Chesterton)

Well, I have even less time, but just wanted to comment that the above is, by far, the crappiest quote I have ever read in my entire life. I would have thought it a line from a comedy skit if I didn't know you were trying to be serious.

thau

Well, I have even less time, but just wanted to comment that the above is, by far, the crappiest quote I have ever read in my entire life. I would have thought it a line from a comedy skit if I didn't know you were trying to be serious.

I love that quote. Seriously. I think it speaks volumes. Maybe not in your case in millions of other cases, but very much so in another million.

Have a good weekend.

A Vestigial Mote

I love that quote. Seriously. I think it speaks volumes. Maybe not in your case in millions of other cases, but very much so in another million.

Have a good weekend.

The quote reeks of generalization and stereotyping to me. And it almost hints at non-believers being "gullible" or something - which is... well it's just backward, in my opinion - from what I have seen and witnessed and experienced. In fact ALL I have seen, witnessed and experienced with respect to my dealings with those of "high religious caliber". I mean - consider this - when someone of your faith tells you something happened according to your faith (i.e. someone was healed in some miraculous way, or they were spoken to by God and told some truth or another, or they were visited by angels), you are basically obligated to believe them - which means you'll believe just about anything. You HAVE to. Otherwise you're calling them a liar, and possibly denouncing something that possibly occurred within your God's purview. It's sort of entrapping, in my opinion. The person could very well be lying - thinking the lie is for the "greater good" because it strengthens others' faith and furthers "the kingdom". And yet you just have to smile, nod your head, and give them the benefit of the doubt, regardless how ludicrous the claim. And, in fact, this very "obligation" you have is exactly what the wolves in sheep's clothing of congregations have counted on countless times throughout history to get a person to do what they want (e.g. give money freely and "joyfully", or go to war and be slaughtered for the "glory" of the cause).

A non-believer, however, is free to weigh everything he encounters with the evidence to which it is tied. And I'm not saying that everyone weighs things in appropriately at all times. Many people do have wrong notions or "beliefs" about different things. Such as believing that money will buy them happiness, or that next material object they crave is what is going to get them out of the rut they are in, etc. But those same issues plague even believers. So where does that net us all out? I ask you.

Last edited:

Kolibri

The quota reeks of generalization and stereotyping. And it almost hints at non-believers being "gullible" or something - which is... well it's just backward, in my opinion - from what I have seen and witnessed and experienced. In fact ALL I have seen, witnessed and experienced with respect to my dealings with those of "high religious caliber". I mean - consider this - when someone of your faith tells you something happened according to your faith (i.e. someone was healed in some miraculous way, or they were spoken to by God and told some truth or another, or they were visited by angels), you are basically obligated to believe them - which means you'll believe just about anything. You HAVE to. Otherwise you're calling them a liar, and possibly denouncing something that possibly occurred within your God's purview. It's sort of entrapping, in my opinion. The person could very well be lying - thinking the lie is for the "greater good" because it strengthens others' faith and furthers "the kingdom". And yet you just have to smile, nod your head, and give them the benefit of the doubt, regardless how ludicrous the claim. And, in fact, this very "obligation" you have is exactly what the wolves in sheep's clothing of congregations have counted on countless times throughout history to get a person to do what they want (e.g. give money freely and "joyfully", or go to war and be slaughtered for the "glory" of the cause).

A non-believer, however, is free to weigh everything he encounters with the evidence to which it is tied. And I'm not saying that everyone weighs things in appropriately at all times. Many people do have wrong notions or "beliefs" about different things. Such as believing that money will buy them happiness, or that next material object they crave is what is going to get them out of the rut they are in, etc. But those same issues plague even believers. So where does that net us all out? I ask you.

Gullibility is a big issue. That is why we find scriptures that say things like these....

"Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, (Lit., "every spirit.") but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."
- 1 John 4:1

"However, the inspired word (Lit., "the spirit.") clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements (Lit., "misleading spirits.") and teachings of demons."
- 1 Timothy 4:1

"We ask you not to be quickly shaken from your reason nor to be alarmed either by an inspired statement (or "by a spirit.") or by a spoken message or by a letter appearing to be from us, to the effect that the day of Jehovah is here."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:1b,2

Even if there are things we can not explain away that we personally observe we are told not to get sucked in.

"For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will perform great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones."
- Matthew 24:24

Non-critical skepticism is a boon to anyone wanting to learn "the truth." (John 8:31,32)

Kolibri

But those same issues plague even believers. So where does that net us all out? I ask you.

The issue here is that that believer to a greater or lesser extent is not following the instructions. Yes the believer should have issues, but the one's of his own making should be reduced.

It is the blessing of Jehovah that makes on rich,
And he adds no pain (or "sorrow; hardship.") with it.
- Proverbs 10:22

I like the book of Proverbs for its very purpose tested out helps build confidence that there is something to the Bible that make is superior in helping people protect themselves - if they just remember to consult it in all matters. (Not an easy task.)
It's intended purpose is stated at Proverbs 1:2-7 in part it says "to impart shrewdness to the inexperienced."

If these things are timely regardless of the decade, unlike self-help books common today, then there is something more here than man's stabs at wisdom.