• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women Head covering in Christianity

Emy1

Could any Christian explain these verses to me ..They do contradict themselves .DO women have to cover their heads according to the bible. Thanks in advance

1 Corinthians 11
New King James Version (NKJV)

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not
to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her[a] for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
People will argue about anything......
The Bible also makes it clear that men and women are equal in the sight of God....
Paul had to teach people with very different social customs to each other, so his words often seem contradictory.

Jesus never gave a firm teaching on head covering.
In the last century most women but not all covered their head in church, by the end of WW2 most simply wore a hat and made no attempt to cover their hair. To day few if any younger women cover up at all... women priests never do.
You are more likely to see head covering in catholic and orthodox churches.

I have never known a woman to cover in private prayer. So it does not seem to be about prayer and God, but a public social act.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
In many Orthodox churches today, women still cover their hair--though this is nowhere near a universal practice. Women covering their hair is a good and pious practice, but it's not like you're a sinner if you choose to do one or the other. Keep in mind Romans 14:

He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

Emy1

@shiranoui117 I don't agree about you are not a sinner if u o or u don't because if he verses are the word of God ..so whatever they command I have t follow literally other wise I am a sinner .

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Emy, I appreciate your zeal and willingness to follow the Bible. It's a refreshing to see in this world. But do be careful to not let your view of the Bible become rigid and wooden, otherwise we'll fall into the same trap that the Pharisees did. St. Paul also wrote instructions on how to treat slaves, yet we have no slaves today. He was writing to a different culture, and while it's very dangerous to dismiss the instructions for women to cover their heads as something from a culture that existed two thousand years ago as such a position leads to moral relativism and pick-and-choose theology, it is also important to keep in mind that times do change, and the more important thing to take away from such an instruction is the spiritual/moral lesson, not merely the physical/literal (which is still important, mind you).

In this instance, the point of women covering their heads in church is about humility before God. It is certainly better to have a humble woman with an uncovered head than a prideful woman wearing a very fancy, showy hat/scarf over her head.

Emy1

@shiranoui117 Thank you for your answer but it did raise another question in my mind .What is the criteria for choosing what is suitable to the era we live in and what is not . And if the bible is word of God ..and since God is all knowing ,he must have gave a rule that is suitable for all cultures and all times. I don't think he would have left it up to the humans to decide. What rule we should follow and what not to follow ..Religion that way would not have any divine source ..and if we pick and choose would that still be following the religion ?
Th

Shiranui117

Premium Member
@shiranoui117 Thank you for your answer but it did raise another question in my mind .What is the criteria for choosing what is suitable to the era we live in and what is not . And if the bible is word of God ..and since God is all knowing ,he must have gave a rule that is suitable for all cultures and all times. I don't think he would have left it up to the humans to decide. What rule we should follow and what not to follow ..Religion that way would not have any divine source ..and if we pick and choose would that still be following the religion ?
Th
I understand your question, and it is a good one. In the case of head covering, you could make a very serious argument that it was an instruction given for that time, or you could make an argument that it's something we all should follow. After all, plenty of women in thousands of cultures cover their heads all the time for various reasons, so it can't be that big a deal, right?

As far as what was intended for previous cultures, look to see if having it around in today's culture makes sense. No adultery? Seems pretty universal. Go to church? Ditto. Love your neighbor as yourself? Add it to the list. Worship God? That's the basis. Treatment of slaves? Well, we got rid of slavery about 150 years ago, so we might want to repurpose that to treatment of paid workers. Women covering their heads in church? Well, does it benefit our walk with Christ? If you want to cover your hair as a reminder of humility and chastity, go for it. If you cover your head spiritually and on the inside instead of physically on the outside, I don't think we should frown upon that.

P.S. I read a comment of a lady who stopped wearing head coverings in church because they made her overheat, which only got worse when she got pregnant.

ZooGirl02

Catholic women used to be required to cover their heads at Mass but that was before the current canon law came out which happened in the 1980s I believe. It is not a change of doctrine but rather a change of discipline. The "rule" requiring women to wear a head covering was a discipline but not an actual "rule" which is why I put "rule" in quotes. Disciplines can be changed, doctrines cannot be changed.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Could any Christian explain these verses to me ..They do contradict themselves .DO women have to cover their heads according to the bible. Thanks in advance

1 Corinthians 11
New King James Version (NKJV)

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not
to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her[a] for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

Hi,

this direction from Paul is in regards to 'prophesying or praying' in the congregation. Notice how vs 4 sets the circumstances for why a head should be covered:*Every man that prays or prophesies having something on his head shames his head;
5*but every woman that prays or prophesies with her head uncovered shames her head,

So the context is in 'praying or prophesying' which would take place in a congregation among a group of christians. In the Congregational arrangement, there is what is called 'headship'...it refers to the 'order of leadership/authority' in a congregation.
Notice in verse 3 Paul sets forth the 'headship arrangement'
3*But I want YOU to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God

This headship arrangement means that men must subject themselves to Christ, Christ must subject himself to God and women must subject themselves to man.
The 'subjection' refers to the authority granted to the one above. For example, a man must subject himself to Christ...this means he must respect Jesus authority and be willing to be led by Christ. Jesus in turn respects Gods authority and is willing to be led by God....and woman in turn must respect a mans authority and be willing to be led by men in the congregation.

So when Paul says a woman ought to have a 'sign of authority on her head', he means that when in the congregation, if she is performing any of the tasks which are normally assigned to a man, she should show that she respects the authority given to men by wearing a head covering. This head covering becomes a sign that she acknowledges the headship arrangement.

But she would not need to wear a headcovering in all situations on a daily basis because Paul clarifies that God gave women 'long hair' which is a symbol of her submission. Therefore she already has a headcovering.... but if she is praying or prophesying on behalf of others (including men) in the congregation, then she needs something more to show that she still respects a mans authority as given him by God.

Last edited:

cuddlz24

The best explanation of scripture is scripture - this passage tells us that it is comely for a woman to pray with her head covered, and further on in the passage God tells us right there that a woman's hair should be long, that it is a glory to her and that is given to her AS A COVERING. God has given us the answer in the very same passage. Women should have longer hair, and that is all the covering that God now requires of the New Testament Christian.

1 Cor 11:13-15 - Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Shermana

Heretic
AS A COVERING. God has given us the answer in the very same passage.

It also says that it's for the prevention of tempting the Angels (a clear reference to the Fallen Watchers who begat the Nephilim, despite the twisted explanations of some), so does this mean that the Angels are only attracted to short haired women?

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
I personally just love head coverings. I think they make women look so beautiful. I guess I consider it beautiful because I believe that when women (especially Muslim women) wear head coverings it is a sign of humility, modesty, and respect for God. (My husband and) I also find long hair very beautiful; it's so feminine. Personally, my hair is past my backside which my husband just loves; I think he's more proud of my hair than I am.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
It also says that it's for the prevention of tempting the Angels (a clear reference to the Fallen Watchers who begat the Nephilim, despite the twisted explanations of some), so does this mean that the Angels are only attracted to short haired women?
Where does it say this?

Shermana

Heretic
Where does it say this?

"That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels" (1 Cor. 11:7-10, RSV).

How many possible ways can "because of the angels" be interpreted?

http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/2010/08/head-coverings-because-of-angels.html

Chrysostom is not alone here; Origen seconds this view:

There are angels in the midst of our assembly we have here a twofold Church, one of men, the other of angels. And since there are angels present women, when they pray, are ordered to have a covering upon their heads because of those angels. They assist the saints and rejoice in the Church."

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

why do you think the reference refers to tempting the angels in a sexual way?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Deduction.

Name some possible alternatives for starters.

Paul said of christians under trial that they are ‘a theatrical spectacle to angels.’ (1*Cor. 4:9)
And Jesus told his disciple that the angels of heaven watch on over mankind and observe our acts of faithfulness or sinfulness (Luke 15:10)

so Paul could simply have meant that sisters should wear a headcovering to show the loyal angels of heaven that they respect Gods authority. The angels are interested in seeing that divine authority is recognized throughout the earth and woman have an opportunity to make such recognition by wearing a sign of authority on her head at certain times.

There is also this verse to consider:
Ecclesiastes 5:6 Do not allow your mouth to cause your flesh to sin, neither say before the angel that it was a mistake. Why should the [true] God become indignant on account of your voice and have to wreck the work of your hands?

We are being watched by many observers in heaven...and those observers are fully in harmony with Gods laws and sovereignty and know when we are getting it wrong. I think Paul is referring to this, not to sexual attraction.