• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worship of wells/springs

mycorrhiza

In the nordic countries, in the Great Britain, Ireland and other places, these practices were widespread.

People drank the water and sacrificed items (often coins, but also food) to become healed of disease. The water was supposedly "magic" and often a gift from the Gods.

Later on, Christians built churches next to these springs (sometimes even around the springs) and christianized the springs, dedicating them to Catholic saints. This, however, did not stop people from using them. Not much is documented, other than the springs themselves, but the Church has documented "pagan" or heretical use of these springs, so most of what we know about them is based on the Church archives.

Wishing wells are to some extent based on these practices. The drinking of water for health reasons (mineral water from certain wells) might also be based on this practice.

This is a subject that intrigues me. Why are we taught nothing in school about these quite widespread practices? How long did the practice live on? (the last use that I can find was at the end of the 1600s, but the practice probably lived on longer). Is there any revivalist value in the practice?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Realistic? Hmm well the mind is a powerfull thing beyond that probably not, unless you consider them a clean and safe source of water in a time when clean water was hard to find.

mycorrhiza

Realistic? Hmm well the mind is a powerfull thing beyond that probably not, unless you consider them a clean and safe source of water in a time when clean water was hard to find.

Probably not too realistic, but there are plenty of symbolic beliefs in pagan and neo-paganism. However, many people did believe in it back in the days.

It's not at all surprising, since water is the giver of life. Springs and fountains have always held sacred significance for me personally. The symbolism of renewal, eternity (the spring is always giving birth), and Origin speaks to me.