• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would anyone here really want to live under a theocracy?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I dunno - depends on how you want to run your litmus test. How much influence does a specific religion need to have over a nation's governing principles before you decide to call it a theocracy? If the vision of an ideal leader is one who upholds the Seven Principles and most candidates who get elected conform to those (but no one is inherently excluded), does that make it a theocracy?
What are the seven principles and how does it match up to theocracy - the rule of priests in the name of God or a God?
This is all setting aside the challenge of how to meaningfully differentiate between religion and other cultural phenomena, which makes the entire thought experiment even more messy. But no, we're supposed to NOT think critically about any of this and reflexively go "theocracy BAD!" then just end the conversation there.
Theocracy is more clearly distinguishable from many other cultural phenomena because it is defined as rule by priests in the name of God or a God according to my understanding.

Dao Hao Now

It's about identifying the essential elements of a theocracy. Taken to its most ridiculous case, it's about people who vote for the variation of the theocracy they prefer as they think that what they're doing is democratic. Arguably the essential element is that your status within the political system is determined by religious dogma that is part of the system and can't be changed from within that system. The element of status is reflected by the Roman practice of capitis deminutuio as applied to the persons of the state.
And here I was thinking it was about whether I would have a desire to live within a theocracy in the here and now or near future within my lifetime.
As best I understand in the Romans have been out of power for centuries and modern Romans (citizens of the city of Rome) don’t live under a theocracy.
So……?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
My answer to this is an emphatic 'No.'
My idea for this thread came from a recent conversation I had with a gentleman who said he wants the United States to become a Christian theocracy. Personally I like our current model of a secular government that allows people to worship, or not worship, how they see fit.
Thoughts

Tell that to the Republicans is my current answer,for me it’s an emphatic no but it is survivable.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I suppose the Quaker relegion might not make a terrible theocracy -- they don't have leaders in their religion, and they respect (but not obey) their elders. Their founder, George Fox, once said: "The Lord taught me to be faithful, in all things, and to act faithfully two ways; viz., inwardly to God, and outwardly to man." I take it, therefore, that he genuinely thought to run his own life according to his personal beliefs, but was content to let others run theirs in the same way.

Ebionite

And here I was thinking it was about whether I would have a desire to live within a theocracy in the here and now or near future within my lifetime.
How things actually are matters more than how we would like them to be.

As best I understand in the Romans have been out of power for centuries and modern Romans (citizens of the city of Rome) don’t live under a theocracy.
So……?
Arguably they do because their status is determined by religion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My idea for this thread came from a recent conversation I had with a gentleman who said he wants the United States to become a Christian theocracy. Personally I like our current model of a secular government that allows people to worship, or not worship, how they see fit.
Thoughts?
I like a country that allows religion, not becomes a religion.

Every theocracy on this planet has been nothing but problems.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
....................Every theocracy on this planet has been nothing but problems.
I find there are different thoughts about theocracy ( God ruled )
The modern-day definition of theocracy is: government ruled by clergy or clergy class ( example the Ayatolla Khomeini )
The theocracy of the Bible ( Daniel 2:44; 7:14 ) is: government by Christ Jesus for a thousand years over Earth. - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Thus, Jesus will undo all the problems on this planet. Earth will be as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah.

Little Dragon

I suppose the Quaker relegion might not make a terrible theocracy -- they don't have leaders in their religion, and they respect (but not obey) their elders.
There could be much worse than Quaker overlords, I agree. However it would still be a theocracy, just like a benevolent dictator, is still a dictator, even if they are absolutely wonderful and genuinely concerned for the common good of their subjects.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
As best I understand in the Romans have been out of power for centuries and modern Romans (citizens of the city of Rome) don’t live under a theocracy. So……?
Remember: the Modern-Day definition of theocracy is: government by clergy or clergy class.
That is Not the theocracy found in the Bible with Jesus as King of God's Kingdom government for a thousand years - 1st. Cor. 15:24-26
Jesus will have subjects/citizens from sea to sea ( earth wide ) - Psalm 72:8, 12-14.
So, it is God's Kingdom government with Jesus as King/Ruler - Daniel 2:44; 7:14 - that is the theocracy of the Bible.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Uhuh...
A reason why we are all invited to pray to God the invitation for Jesus to come ! - Rev. 22:20
To come and bring ' healing ' to earth's nations - Rev. 22:2
Earth's woes are now beyond the point of no return. - Rev. 7:14
Men can be saying, " Peace and Security......" but such a Rosy saying is just leading people down that old Primrose Path.
Only divine involvement into mankind's affairs can make a real difference to bring lasting Peace on Earth - Psalm 46:9

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Thoughts?
Heck, no! No way.

Theocracy is no good for anyone, anywhere.

If anything, we all should strive to be more and better secular in our societies.

Dao Hao Now

Remember: the Modern-Day definition of theocracy is: government by clergy or clergy class.
That is Not the theocracy found in the Bible with Jesus as King of God's Kingdom government for a thousand years - 1st. Cor. 15:24-26
Jesus will have subjects/citizens from sea to sea ( earth wide ) - Psalm 72:8, 12-14.
So, it is God's Kingdom government with Jesus as King/Ruler - Daniel 2:44; 7:14 - that is the theocracy of the Bible.
If you say so……
However I live in the present where governments are run by people (mostly men), and I would definitely not prefer not to live under the rule of men who believe they are carrying out the will of a deity they have no rational reason to believe in.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
No. A theocracy inhibits individual growth by destroying one's personal path.

See the top line of my signature.
Thoughts?
I think a man made theocracy is one run by clergy and priests which is as good as Hitler running the show. Definitely would not want to live under that rule much like the oppressive Islamic Republic of Iran or the Taliban of Afghanistan. Very, very cruel and abusive of all human rights.

But the Kingdom of God on Earth is not man made and not run by priests or clergy so I think that would be a nice place to live in peace with all humanity and without wars and oppression but respect for all human rights everywhere.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
That's two Romans after the Papal theocracy is over.
Do you see them unhappy?

The probably are if they have to watch the video...

1701596988250.png