• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would men die for something they did not believe?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But, my original question was why would all of the apostles (including Paul- an ex Pharasee) go to their gruesome deaths saying they saw a resurrected Jesus?
Paul's a bit of a special case, isn't he? Never meeting Jesus in the flesh, his belief was based on an apparition (hallucination?) that appeared before him but was invisible to the people he was with.

I hope you would not respond by saying there is no proof of who wrote the New Testement. There are more manuscripts of this book around the earth that are within 100 years of the original writings, that you cannot debate that seriously.
Actually, I'm thinking more that there is positive evidence (i.e. not just conclusions drawn from the absence of evidence) that indicates a source for the New Testament other than literal events in first-century Judea.

To say that the Gospel is a literal history of a man named Jesus who lived, died and was resurrected in Judea 2000 years ago is to say that the seemingly strong links between the New Testament and other, earlier religious beliefs* are nothing more than odd coincidences.

*in particular, I'm thinking of Egyptian mythology that depicts the god Horus (son of the chief God, Osiris) as:

- descending to Earth to live in human form
- having twelve human apostles, including fishermen
- bringing Al-Asar (pretty close to "Lazarus", don't you think?) back from the dead before Mary and Martha
- ascending to Heaven, where he is seated at the right hand of his father and will judge the living and the dead

Also, there's what I see as hints of Dharmic beliefs in the New Testament as well:

- the sudden change from Jewish monotheism to something to a triune godhead very similar to the Trimurti
- an uncanny parallel between Christian and Dharmic beliefs, though with some modification. For example, the New Testament describes how we can be freed from the Old Law by the sacrifice and efforts of Christ, while Hindu scriptures describe how we can be freed from the Wheel of Life by personal sacrifice and effort.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Men die everyday for something they believe in.
Would they die for something they did not believe in?

How would a non christian explain why the apostles of Jesus died gruesome deaths saying they had seen Jesus killed and resurrected three days later? :sad:

They didn't. There is absolutely no historical evidence to suggest that any of the apostles died a martyr's death, there's at least one peice of historical evidence that Matthew (at least) died of natural causes (which disputes the various traditions of his martyrdom), the traditions in regards to the matyrdom of the various apostles are contradictory, and more-over the only apostle that the bible itself claims died as a martyr is James.

The traditional martydom of the apostles is Christian folklore and as I've said, depending on which regional tradition you want to look at, the traditions contradict each other.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Men die everyday for something they believe in.
Would they die for something they did not believe in?

How would a non christian explain why the apostles of Jesus died gruesome deaths saying they had seen Jesus killed and resurrected three days later? :sad:
I know lots of soldiers have died in wars they didn't believe in.

4troof

Actually, I'm thinking more that there is positive evidence (i.e. not just conclusions drawn from the absence of evidence) that indicates a source for the New Testament other than literal events in first-century Judea.

To say that the Gospel is a literal history of a man named Jesus who lived, died and was resurrected in Judea 2000 years ago is to say that the seemingly strong links between the New Testament and other, earlier religious beliefs* are nothing more than odd coincidences.

None of these earlier beliefs had men going to their deaths though saying they saw a resurrected man. Since we have enough ancient manuscripts written in different languages to piece together the original letters, and have been shown historically (from outside sources) that they were written before the destruction of the temple in AD70, how do you explain these guys going to their deaths saying they actually saw a resurrected man with their own eyes?

*in particular, I'm thinking of Egyptian mythology that depicts the god Horus (son of the chief God, Osiris) as:

- descending to Earth to live in human form
- having twelve human apostles, including fishermen
- bringing Al-Asar (pretty close to "Lazarus", don't you think?) back from the dead before Mary and Martha
- ascending to Heaven, where he is seated at the right hand of his father and will judge the living and the dead

Also, there's what I see as hints of Dharmic beliefs in the New Testament as well:

- the sudden change from Jewish monotheism to something to a triune godhead very similar to the Trimurti
- an uncanny parallel between Christian and Dharmic beliefs, though with some modification. For example, the New Testament describes how we can be freed from the Old Law by the sacrifice and efforts of Christ, while Hindu scriptures describe how we can be freed from the Wheel of Life by personal sacrifice and effort.[/quote]

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
None of these earlier beliefs had men going to their deaths though saying they saw a resurrected man.
I suppose not, but they do speak against the literal truth of what you're suggesting.

Since we have enough ancient manuscripts written in different languages to piece together the original letters, and have been shown historically (from outside sources) that they were written before the destruction of the temple in AD70, how do you explain these guys going to their deaths saying they actually saw a resurrected man with their own eyes?
Who do you think went to their deaths for this, and under what circumstances?

The only one I'm familiar with from the Bible is Paul, and hopefully you'll agree that the Bible never mentions him seeing or meeting Jesus before his death. If we accept the Biblical account as true, then what he saw has all the earmarks of a hallucination. If we don't take the Biblical account as true, then, well, what's the point of debating what the implications of its truth might be?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Again; there's nothing in the New Testament that suggests any of the apostles died a martyr's death except James. Discussing the validity of the NT is a moot point for sakes of this topic.

Presenting contradictory accounts as evidence of fabrication is not the same as drawing conclusions from lack of evidence (nor is it even close).

4tfoof said:

None of these earlier beliefs had men going to their deaths though saying they saw a resurrected man. Since we have enough ancient manuscripts written in different languages to piece together the original letters,

Name one that supports your argument.

4troof said:
and have been shown historically (from outside sources) that they were written before the destruction of the temple in AD70,

Name the letters, how they pertain to the topic, and list these alledged outside sources. Otherwise your statement means nothing.

4troof said:
how do you explain these guys going to their deaths saying they actually saw a resurrected man with their own eyes?

I already have; it didn't happen. This whole thread is predicated on a strawman.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Really? And that compares to seeing a dead, and then resurrected man how?
The OP asked if a man would die for something he didn't believe in, no? I answered your first question, without regard to your second. Were they meant to be taken only together? That wasn't explicit.

4troof

Who do you think went to their deaths for this, and under what circumstances?

The only one I'm familiar with from the Bible is Paul, and hopefully you'll agree that the Bible never mentions him seeing or meeting Jesus before his death. If we accept the Biblical account as true, then what he saw has all the earmarks of a hallucination. If we don't take the Biblical account as true, then, well, what's the point of debating what the implications of its truth might be?[/quote]

Peter, Matthew, John, Paul (who most likely was one of the leaders in arresting Jesus in the first place) just to name a few were all put to their deaths claiming that they saw this man killed and then roaming the earth again. These folks were stoned to death, beheaded...etc telling a lie? All they had to do to live was renounce what they were saying...they saw a dead man rise.

UnityNow101

Who knows? Maybe they did see Jesus after he had risen from the dead. Maybe it is all a myth and nobody seen anything. Can we know today with certainty whether they did see a risen dead man or if any of this is to be believed? How do we know that Jesus didn't actually survive the crucifixion and was merely awakening from his decreased level of awareness? Did Jesus survive and then head to Kashmir, India? None of this can be known..So pick your favorite scenario and call it truth. That is the way that we work as a species.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Peter, Matthew, John, Paul (who most likely was one of the leaders in arresting Jesus in the first place) just to name a few were all put to their deaths claiming that they saw this man killed and then roaming the earth again. These folks were stoned to death, beheaded...etc telling a lie? All they had to do to live was renounce what they were saying...they saw a dead man rise.

What are you basing all this on besides nostolgic attachment to tradition?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
people die for thier beliefs all the time... many of these beliefs we find... well silly.

Jonestown
Heaven's Gate
Order of the Solar Temple
Branch Davidians....
and so on.

Were all these people telling a lie?

wa:do

4troof

How do we know that Jesus didn't actually survive the crucifixion and was merely awakening from his decreased level of awareness?

So, after being beaten half to death, and then crucified, he was able to walk around fine 3 days later?

4troof

people die for thier beliefs all the time... many of these beliefs we find... well silly.

Jonestown
Heaven's Gate
Branch Davidians....
and so on.

Did any of these people die saying they saw a man killed and then resurrected?

4troof

I am basing it on that there were hundreds of eyewitnesses that saw a previously dead man walking the earth again.
Any kind of historical research would tell you that what was written was written by the people that says they are writing it, and during the time it is said to have been written. Big difference between the writing of the New T. and any traditional/nostalgic stories.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Jonestown
Heaven's Gate
Branch Davidians....
and so on.

Did any of these people die saying they saw a man killed and then resurrected?

Hey 4troof; do us all a favor and start using the quote button (bottom left hand corner of your screen).

I know you're getting around to addressing my posts. I'll wait.;)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

I am basing it on that there were hundreds of eyewitnesses that saw a previously dead man walking the earth again.
Any kind of historical research would tell you that what was written was written by the people that says they are writing it, and during the time it is said to have been written. Big difference between the writing of the New T. and any traditional/nostalgic stories.

Again; name one manuscript that supports your original point. We've already established that there's nothing in the NT that supports your argument so referring back to any alledged evidence of the NT's validity is just stalling and is completely besides the point..

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Again; there's nothing in the New Testament that suggests any of the apostles died a martyr's death except James. Discussing the validity of the NT is a moot point for sakes of this topic.
The quote from 4troof there was actually me. Looks like he's still figuring out the quote function.

Where does it say that these men were put to death for claiming that Jesus died and was resurrected? Chapter and verse, please.

Last edited: