• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you allow your child to marry and Atheist?

Would you let YOUR child marry an atheist? (Private Poll)

• Of course.

Votes: 52 94.5%
  • Of Course Not.

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Sententia

Would you allow your child to marry an atheist? (Regardless of the other reasons, the fact that who your child wishes to marry an atheist is the deciding factor where you draw the line and say no, or I disapprove etc.)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Would you allow your child to marry an atheist? (Regardless of the other reasons, the fact that who your child wishes to marry an atheist is the deciding factor where you draw the line and say no, or I disapprove etc.)

I voted "of course" because mine or your Child isn't Marrying a belief/disbelief,hopefully they Marry someone they love.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If by "child" you mean "young adult," the real question is "How could I STOP him/her from marrying an atheist?"

If any of my grown children decided to marry someone whose faith (or lack thereof) differed drastically from my "child's" faith, I would counsel them to move forward very cautiously. Religious differences that don't seem so looming when you're in the throes of infatuation have a way of rearing up in a pretty divisive way when children come along.

That being said, I wouldn't harp on the subject. It wouldn't do any good anyway, most likely.

Two of my children are married and one is engaged. Thankfully, they have all chosen mates who agree with them on matters of faith, for the most part. However, my youngest daughter, who is a non-denominational Christian, married a Roman Catholic (very nice guy, by the way - I love him dearly). Their religious differences didn't seem all that significant when they were young and, frankly, doing a lot of living la vida loca. But when kids came along...suddenly issues like infant baptism, the sacraments, etc came barging into the room. They are still working through these issues - thankfully together.

Personally, I am glad that religion has become more important in their lives.

ATHEIST011

Would you stop someone marrying anyone if they truly love each other,
I think religion should ecompass one faith, the faith of humanity the faith of love the faith of togetheness.. If not a couple love each they have a life of torment a life of hatred whether it be a male or a female. Love is a natural feeling not one forced upon us by religion or creed it is a feeling of joy between two people.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I got news for you - love ain't all joy.

Love can take some very serious knocks as life gets rough - and every life gets rough at some point.

When life gets hard, people turn to their faith, their belief system, for guidance and comfort.

Different belief systems offer different guidance sometimes. That's the point where people can split off from each other - adding heartache to tragedy.

It's at just these points that mates need each other the most - and this is often when differences in beliefs tear them apart.

I think it's best not to pair up with someone whose core beliefs differ greatly from your own. You're adding an additional level of stress to lives that are going to incur plenty of stress anyway.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Of course I would! As long as they're a good match and make each other happy, what more could I want?

As Kathryn said in western and most other societies, parents don't have the deciding vote on whom their children marry, surely the real question is whether or not you are prepared to alienate your child based on their choice of life partner.

andys

Andys
England MY Lionheart writes "I voted 'of course' because mine or your Child [sic] isn't Marrying [sic] a belief/disbelief, hopefully they Marry [sic] someone they love."

This, I think, is naive. Were a Jew to marry a Nazi, I believe serious conflict would be inevitable which would cause the demise of the "holy" union. When you wish to bond with another person in marriage this involves a union of mind, first and foremost. Personally, it is inconceivable that I would/could be happy married to a theist whose most entrenched fundamental thoughts and beliefs are based on pure nonsense.

I agree wholehearted with Kathryn (in a recent post above) who wisely noted some of the practical issues that would arise sooner or later. Some of my truly best friends are confirmed theists and we have a ball arguing our points of view. But to share my life with such a person every day for the rest of my life could only invite disaster.

Call me "intolerant" (quite so) or "bigoted" (ridiculous) but a lasting union of a couple's minds is doomed from the start if the ultra-fundamental concepts of morality, justice and truth are diametrically opposed, unless, of course, such matters are of little consequence to either party. In which case, they deserve each other.

England MY Lionheart writes "I voted 'of course' because mine or your Child [sic] isn't Marrying [sic] a belief/disbelief, hopefully they Marry [sic] someone they love."

This, I think, is naive. Were a Jew to marry a Nazi, I believe serious conflict would be inevitable which would cause the demise of the "holy" union. When you wish to bond with another person in marriage this involves a union of mind, first and foremost. Personally, it is inconceivable that I would/could be happy married to a theist whose most entrenched fundamental thoughts and beliefs are based on pure nonsense.

I agree wholehearted with Kathryn (in a recent post above) who wisely noted some of the practical issues that would arise sooner or later. Some of my truly best friends are confirmed theists and we have a ball arguing our points of view. But to share my life with such a person every day for the rest of my life could only invite disaster.

Call me "intolerant" (quite so) or "bigoted" (ridiculous) but a lasting union of a couple's minds is doomed from the start if the ultra-fundamental concepts of morality, justice and truth are diametrically opposed, unless, of course, such matters are of little consequence to either party. In which case, they deserve each other.

With respect this is a reason not to marry and atheist if you are a theist, it doesn't really pertain to the question of parental inteference in chosing a life partner, I have heard people use the ' wouldn't want them to face difficulty' arguement to defend their belief that white people shouldn't marry black people and vice versa.