• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you support "limited" human rights for other apes?

Would you support limited human rights for the other great apes?

• Yes, but only for the chimpanzee and bonobo.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Yes, for all other great apes.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • No, I would not support this.

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Limited? No, I would support full rights.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I would support full rights for the chimpanzee and bonobo, but not for the others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would support full rights for the chimpanzee and bonobo, but limited rights for the other apes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Explain).

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Druidus said:
Kreeden, surely you are not saying that the other apes are possessed of the intellect necessary to select a leader for a nation, are you?
Nope . But then , neither do many humans . ;)

What I'm saying Druidus is that if you have " Human Rights " then you have ALL human rights . If not then the whole concept is a joke . Although I know what you meant , I think that you could have chosen a better term ??? To have " Human Rights " here in Canada , one has to be a " person under the Law ". As I pointed out , there was a time when women , and others weren't considered to be a " person ".

Apes don't need our protection . :) We need to be controled . Pretty much the same as what you are saying , only looking at it from a different angle .

Saw11_2000

I mean what rights to apes want?

Taxation with representation?
Gay-Marriage?

Honestly, they're happy with some space and a whole lot of partners to "monkey around with".

They don't need rights.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Saw11_2000 said:
I mean what rights to apes want?

Taxation with representation?
Gay-Marriage?

Honestly, they're happy with some space and a whole lot of partners to "monkey around with".

They don't need rights.
That's not the point. The whole idea would be to make those giving the apes these rights (as if we have the power to give rights to anyone) feel much better about themselves and empowered. I mean, do you think the apes have any idea of the concept of "rights"? They don't know what they are and could care less whether they have them, need them or should even want them.

Saw11_2000

^Of course not.

Apes don't understand rights. They don't want them because they don't understand them.

Apes don't get up from sleeping and say, I really wish I had free speech.

They get up and wonder who's going to eat the fleas out of my hair today?

They don't need them.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Saw11_2000 said:
Apes don't get up from sleeping and say, I really wish I had free speech.

They get up and wonder who's going to eat the fleas out of my hair today?
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Druidus said:
Would you support limited human rights for other apes? For instance, land ownership (legally own the land they inhabit, but not pay taxes, for obvious reasons), killing one of them, or attacking one would be considered murder or assault (perhaps not as heavy a penalty as for humans), etc. This would not give them the right to vote, or any right that would require more intellect then they possess.

Would you support this, for all apes, or only chimpanzees and bonobos, or not at all?
How the hell can a gorilla negotiate a lease? Or take a college course? :bonk:

I don't think apes would even know what to do with human rights if we gave it to them. Therefore, I see the poll question as pretty much irrelevant.

Saw11_2000

^Nice!

If the monkeys are willing to draw up their own rights (what is actually what humans did to make human rights in the first place), then I support it. But until monkeys claim their own independence and rights, then I don't think they need them.

A

angellous_evangellous

Saw11_2000 said:
^Nice!

If the monkeys are willing to draw up their own rights (what is actually what humans did to make human rights in the first place), then I support it. But until monkeys claim their own independence and rights, then I don't think they need them.
O BABY THIS IS A GREAT POINT!!!!!!!!!!

I wish that I could frubal you for this. Frubals are coming your way asap!!

Happy dance for the poor monkeys who won't be able to write if we have anything to do with it. :jiggy: :jiggy: :jiggy:

A

angellous_evangellous

I would like to start a new game thread: draw up a theoretical monkey bill of rights.

My thoughts are:
1) Get rid of the whole alpha male thing: every monkey has the right to reproduce
2) The right to eat their own crap and anything which moves on another monkey is inalienable
3) Urinate and crap anywhere!!!

(#2 and #3 and more personally seen at the zoo :eek: )

Saw11_2000

4) You can not descriminate agaisnt a job applicant because they are a monkey.
5) Monkeys are allowed to vote by flinging poo at cardboard cutouts of John Kerry and George Bush.

A

angellous_evangellous

5) Monkeys are allowed to vote by flinging poo at cardboard cutouts of John Kerry and George Bush.

Of course they will have to tally the votes themselves and reliably determine if the poo is a vote for or against the representative, and how to avoid multiple votes... er... flings.

EDIT: Gosh, the political parties could possibly get more people to get out and vote if it were this fun!! Nader might actually have a chance!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Doc

Space Chief
I agree that humans should stay completely out of the way of apes and their lives. The further we are from them, the happier they will be. They don't want rights or presidents or moronic humans looking at them from behind a cage, they want to be left alone and live freely from bonds of rules and society. (I sometimes feel the same way)

Fluffy

A fool
I said other because I would support this fully but I can't think of any human right which could be given to an ape based on your caveate "This would not give them the right to vote, or any right that would require more intellect then they possess." The two examples that you gave both demonstrate the need for intellectual abilities on a non-human ape's part which I do not believe they possess.

I am fully in favour of extensive animal rights but I think that all human rights (that I can think of hence the other choice) imply a decision on both parties involved (so in other words the ability to decide not to break a right and the ability to understand that I have a right) which are not yet in the field of comprehension of other species. Animal rights do not make such implications.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do animals, very much including apes, have a right not to be driven to extinction by humans?

Fluffy

A fool
Do animals, very much including apes, have a right not to be driven to extinction by humans?
Definitely. I would go further than this but would still make the distinction between an animal and a human right.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did God put animals here as commodities for our use, or were they intended to have and enjoy their own lives, independent of our own?

Rick123123

I think everything animals, plants, bacteria, humans, anything even remotley living owns the land. Nobody can "own" land, the land is owned by all. I think none of us has the right to experiment, harm, or hurt anything least of all apes. Just beacuse apes are genetically close to us doesn't give them special rights or freedoms, everything has the same rights and freedoms, and I think personally humans should stop clinging to this idea that we are better then other living things, and that we have the right to harm, or discriminate against other living things just because they are not human.