• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you want to live forever?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
No because in my beliefs when we break free from the cycle of rebirths, we are reunited with that Absolute Reality or God from which we came. When this happens there is total peace, love and joy. This is not possible in the material world because there is a duality of pleasure and pain...there are opposites - hot and cold, wet and dry, pleasure and pain etc. In the material world we become attached to material things and people. When these things and people are not around anymore, we grieve. Nothings is permanent in the material world. It doesn't last forever.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm having trouble articulating it, but I actually look forward to death. Not that I want to die, but I view it as a good thing. Like going to sleep at the end of the day.

Nanda

Polyanna
I'm having trouble articulating it, but I actually look forward to death. Not that I want to die, but I view it as a good thing. Like going to sleep at the end of the day.

That makes sense to me. I hate sleeping.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That makes sense to me. I hate sleeping.

I'm with you on this. I hate the idea of death only because I have to stop learning about this existence.

Of course, on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want to live forever. I might get tired of things after a while. :shrug:

EDIT: I understand what you're saying, though, Storm.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I've come aound to the idea that our notion of death is just a construct. I think the veil between us and eternity is largely of our own making.
In the sense that we can't not exist we're going to live forever. For sure I want to. I enjoy my existence.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I've come aound to the idea that our notion of death is just a construct. I think the veil between us and eternity is largely of our own making.
In the sense that we can't not exist we're going to live forever. For sure I want to. I enjoy my existence.

But would you want to live forever as you are living now?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I would not want to live forever, but I would like to have the ability to live for a few extra centuries with my loved ones, rather than just one. This would of course also come with the perk of agelessness.:D. I don't want to be gray and wrinkly!! This would give the opportunity to learn and experience this existance more fully, without being tied into it for eternity.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend mball 1297,
when one does not die; where is the question of not living forever.
Yes, life WAS, IS, WILL BE.
Rest of the forms and no forms are just changing from one to the other.
Love & rgds

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Friend mball 1297,
when one does not die; where is the question of not living forever.
Yes, life WAS, IS, WILL BE.
Rest of the forms and no forms are just changing from one to the other.
Love & rgds

That's why I specify continuing this life we currently know on Earth, not a diferent form of living.

Nanda

Polyanna
I'm with you on this. I hate the idea of death only because I have to stop learning about this existence.

Of course, on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want to live forever. I might get tired of things after a while. :shrug:

There's also the problem that a lot of what makes life so meaningful is that everything is finite. Would living forever make life less meaningful? Maybe. Maybe not, though, if I'm the only one. Everyone I love, or would come to love would still be finite.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I want to live forever, but only if I will not be old. If I could stay young and live forever, that would be awesome. :D

The reason: Living is the only thing I'm ever going to do, so I want to keep doing it. Otherwise I will be doing nothing, and that would suck.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If it includes eternal youth as well, I would absolutely take the chance to live until the end...