• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you want to live forever?

Smoke

Done here.
If you were offered the chance to live forever here on Earth, would you want to?
No, not forever. But if I could be in reasonably good health and keep learning all my life, I'd jump at the chance to live a thousand years, or two thousand.

Somkid

Even forever isnt permanant as the Earth will not be here forever neither will human beings. But, I would be happy to stay here as long as possible as long as I have good health and a sound mind.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If you live forever and humanity never develops the technology to live elsewhere in the universe, in a few billion years you'll outlast the earth as the sun expands and consumes it, and since you cannot die, you'll be trapped burning inside of a white dwarf.

YTMND - The Future of our World

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you were offered the chance to live forever here on Earth, would you want to?

EDIT: Why or why not?

The Earth won't last forever. "Living forever" might really be "living in comfort for a billion years on a habitable Earth, followed by billions of years of pain in the heat of the sun, and finally an eternity of cold and loneliness in the emptiness of space."

cardero

Citizen Mod

Not in this guise. Though I have had some wonderful experiences in the form of Patrick, I really ought to be getting back. I think I left the heavenly oven on.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The Earth won't last forever. "Living forever" might really be "living in comfort for a billion years on a habitable Earth, followed by billions of years of pain in the heat of the sun, and finally an eternity of cold and loneliness in the emptiness of space."

Honestly I think most humans would completely lose their sanity after a few thousand or so years. After a billions of years, they would probably be too far gone to even care about floating through the vacuum.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
If you live forever and humanity never develops the technology to live elsewhere in the universe, in a few billion years you'll outlast the earth as the sun expands and consumes it, and since you cannot die, you'll be trapped burning inside of a white dwarf.

YTMND - The Future of our World

:eek:

That sounds cool!! :D I'd do that. Burning in a white dwarf, I think, would make anyone a much more interesting person. :D

Hope

Princesinha

Here on this present Earth? No. Absolutely not.

Why? Because of all the evil, pain, and suffering that exist on earth and in my own personal experience.

I only want to live forever if I get a new body and can live on a new Earth where there is no pain and suffering. According to the Bible, this will actually happen. And that's the only way living forever would be desirable to me.

kadzbiz

Interesting thought. Not aging, not losing your health or mental ability, I would consider it. Do I really want to be around and seeing the ongoing deaths of my descendants though? Does it mean I am invincible, not able to be harmed or killed? Hmm, interesting. I could take risks that others would not dare, which could advance so much perhaps. Would my immortality benefit mankind, and me? What if I couldn't make any difference at all? Would I get bored with it all? Would it feel like a nightmare that I could never awake from?

Truly, I think I just want to live long enough to be satisfied that I have experienced enough of the world around me and seen that my children are raising their own children satisfactorily.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
I don't think so. As the sages tell us:

Terry Pratchett said:
'Go back,' said Granny. 'You call yourself some kind of goddess and you know nothing, madam, nothing. What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't change can't learn. The smallest creature that dies in the grass knows more then you. You're right. I'm older. You've lived longer then me but I'm older then you. And better'n you. And, madam, that ain't hard.

Lords and Ladies; Page 344.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
So long as I wouldn't become a burden, my answer has to be yes. Some theories were circulating around the interweb a few years ago about the end of progress for most of the human species being when we have achieved 1.) artificial intelligence that can provide for our bodily functions like eating, urinating, and drinking 2.) eternal/biblical lifespans and 3.) virtual reality which places the user in a Matrix.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I only want to live forever if I get a new body and can live on a new Earth....

obx.jpg

If you are not going to be using that body can I move into it?

rhys

All this seems to be based on the idea that there is a continuing 'you'. I find the notion of a consciousness continuing on and on and on the nearest thing to hell I can imagine. You would inevitably forget all that currently makes you 'you' and have to keep checking up on who you were supposed to be; you'd forget all the places and people you loved. All your alleged 'instincts' would become totally tedious, all the things you'd been interested in boring. There would still be meditation, but we've got that anyway. What we need is liberation from time, not more and more and more and more of the stuff.

trinity2359

If I could 'Live Forever in Paradise on Earth' as the Jehovah's Wittnesses sell it, Sign me up! [I actually did for a spell :)] According to their beliefs, the great crowd have the earthly hope. After Armeggdon (sp) the earth would be cleaned and renewed to the glory of the Garden of Eden where the lion lays with the lamb and a child will play with a cobra. All illness and infirmity will disappear - so I can read all I want for eternity without glasses. Sounds wonderful, but, of course wishing it doesn't make it true. Our desire is for God and He lives in Heaven.

Could that be the eternal hell that is spoking of,if we are eternal beings?