• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can't have perfect knowledge through science

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Yes let us look at the wonderful benefits that science and technology have bestowed so blessedly upon us, let's us bow down in wonder to science and technology as we comtemplate such scientific and technological blessings such as thermonuclear warheads, cancer-causing chemical agents, Chernobyl and the Great Pacific Garbage Patch!
As well as the elimination of smallpox, antibiotics, artificial fertilizer, and the greatest communication tools history has ever known. :D

CynthiaCypher

As well as the elimination of smallpox, antibiotics, artificial fertilizer, and the greatest communication tools history has ever known. :D

As well as the increase in population (over-population) due to smallpox being eliminated, the weakening of our bodies own immune system due to an overusage of antibiotics, erosion of soil due to over-farming brought to by artifical fertilizers and well all the pron brought to the greatest communication tool ever.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
As well as the increase in population (over-population) due to smallpox being eliminated, the weakening of our bodies own immune system due to an overusage of antibiotics, erosion of soil due to over-farming brought to by artifical fertilizers and well all the pron brought to the greatest communication tool ever.

So, are you saying that you are opposed to science and technological advances?
Because... there is a solution to that you know... ;)

Noaidi

slow walker
Yes let us look at the wonderful benefits that science and technology have bestowed so blessedly upon us, let's us bow down in wonder to science and technology as we comtemplate such scientific and technological blessings such as thermonuclear warheads, cancer-causing chemical agents, Chernobyl and the Great Pacific Garbage Patch!

You are confusing science with the use of science.

What on Earth are you trying to say? The scientific method may never come up with the correct answers but:

1. It's the best guess we've got. At least it bases it's hypotheses on tested evidence, reasoning, and logic, and takes the best logical positions it can come up with. It's produced by way of making the best and most progressive guesses it can, based on evidence. This is as opposed to religion, which involves taking answers just because they are said to be correct; if I write up random explanations for the universe's laws, does that mean they should be accepted, just because I say they are definitely true, whereas science admits to constantly improving? Religion works with assertions that science has long since left behind in the dust as far as probability is concerned.
2. Just look at the benefit of science in our modern world, as opposed to religion. Which world-view do you think has caused the production of such great feats, in the fields of technology and engineering most eminently, but also in all other fields of academic progress? The one which is willing to constantly be changed in order to match new logical thought, or the one which will always insist it is correct?

Become an eclectic thinker you get a more complete answer: If God then science IF science then God- we are inherently deisgned with minds to solve problems to learn new things, to intellectually and spiritually experience truth.

Science is great on the 'hows' of the universe not so hot on the 'whys' -Juxtaposing Science and Spirituality as mutually exclusive is patently ridiculous and seriously uninformed.

To use science to discuss matters of Spirit is like trying to wire a house with plumber's tools only. Use more of that gray matter and build yourself a more solid foundation than upon only one school of thought and you will have built for yourself a better house :D

Case in point: while science has freed women from housework by and large and freed us from being tied to wires plugged into a wall;a landline-
Our ethics from a spiritual standpoint are sorely lacking anymore. We have lots of work to do to catch up to tech progress of just yesterday-let alone today-it's exponential and our ethics still reflect the age of industry, not the age of information. ->
Your bias is showing :D

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal

Yeah! Damn those guys and their vaccines, modern life saving surgeries, computers and all that evil crap! :p

atanu

Premium Member
Yeah! Damn those guys and their vaccines, modern life saving surgeries, computers and all that evil crap! :p

:D

But wait. I find in newspaper today that birds and bees are dying around mobile towers. I love science but I am also sure that finally we will die of science the way a person who lives by sword dies by the sword. No one is killed by earthquakes but our buildings kill us during earthquakes.

But this thread was about perfect knowledge and we have had Godel tell us about that.

Daviso452

Boy Genius
:D

But wait. I find in newspaper today that birds and bees are dying around mobile towers. I love science but I am also sure that finally we will die of science the way a person who lives by sword dies by the sword. No one is killed by earthquakes but our buildings kill us during earthquakes.

But this thread was about perfect knowledge and we have had Godel tell us about that.
I guess I'll agree that science is doing some major damage. But it just means we should focus more on enviromental tech. Or decrease our population. But I don't want to get into that topic.

Oh, and who is Godel?

atanu

Premium Member
I guess I'll agree that science is doing some major damage. But it just means we should focus more on enviromental tech. Or decrease our population. But I don't want to get into that topic.

Oh, and who is Godel?

PolyHedral's earlier incarnation:yes: -- a mathematician-philosopher. His Incompleteness Theorem has been discussed in this thread.

idav

Being
Premium Member
No one is killed by earthquakes but our buildings kill us during earthquakes.
That earthquake would kill you if you were in a cave or on mountain that decided to avalanche. If your in a earthquake resistant building you might be better off.

atanu

Premium Member
That earthquake would kill you if you were in a cave or on mountain that decided to avalanche. If your in a earthquake resistant building you might be better off.

I am becoming old. This did not occur to me.:D