• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't show respect for my religion!

youfaith

What does one what in terms of respect? For you to follow? Stay true your own beliefs and allow others to stay true to theirs.

MissAlice

Problem with expressing choices and views is more often than not, some people will take it as a form of mockery if that person's view differentiates or in some way contradicts another's belief. Can't please everyone but I try as much as possible to avoid conflicts in places where it isn't appropriate. Already had one guy upset with me on FB because I thought some video was funny of an atheist guy making a parody of the mormons that go door to door to spread their message. In his he was jokingly spreading the word of atheism. And most people in that video found him way more offensive than the mormons.

Here's the video btw.

http://youtu.be/U58wgn-9Y3c

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that I can "respect" a belief that I think is false. A belief is not automatically entitled to respect because it is religious.
I think we should respect people (on the condition that they are respectful of us) and we should respect people's right to their beliefs (it is wrong to force others to change their beliefs, or harass them when they don't want to talk about it).
But when a person demands that I "respect" their beliefs, it is just a demand that those beliefs are entitled to some sort of special status or treatment.

Where Is God

Creator
Problem with expressing choices and views is more often than not, some people will take it as a form of mockery if that person's view differentiates or in some way contradicts another's belief. Can't please everyone but I try as much as possible to avoid conflicts in places where it isn't appropriate. Already had one guy upset with me on FB because I thought some video was funny of an atheist guy making a parody of the mormons that go door to door to spread their message. In his he was jokingly spreading the word of atheism. And most people in that video found him way more offensive than the mormons.

Here's the video btw.

YouTube - ‪John Safran Atheist door knocking skit‬‏
Best video ever.

I think it's rude to disrespect someone's religion or to talk about their religion with them unless they start the conversation. One of the oldest rules in the book is to never talk about religion at the dinner table.

AmbiguousGuy

One of the oldest rules in the book is to never talk about religion at the dinner table.

I agree that it's a rule, but I find it an awfully sad one. If we all hunker down with our own Truth -- afraid or angered at the thought of sharing it -- well, it doesn't seem to me like a Truth worth having.

If God is really out there, shouldn't we be openly seeking Him?

And the best way to seek Him, in my opinion, is to engage other human minds regarding His nature and will.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think it's rude to disrespect someone's religion or to talk about their religion with them unless they start the conversation.
It's one thing to be disrespectful toward someone who doesn't deserve it, that would be a discourtesy, but quite a different thing to disrespect a religion that hasn't earned one's respect. I've found no reason to respect anything that hasn't earned it. Have you? As for not talking about someone else's religion with them unless they start it, this really rings hollow. What happens with this approach is the inevitable establishment of an "I'm right-you're wrong" sermon. A person sets up the pros of his religion that stand in contrast to what he considers to be the cons of the other guy's religion, perhaps very directly, perhaps very subtly. However, this is nothing more than a backhanded way of talking about his religion. You can't cheer for one team while not implying you boo for the opposing team. So, my idea is to do away with such phony niceties and simply treat the other person as an equal who doesn't need the kid glove treatment you feel his sorry religion warrants.

But, if I find a person can't really stand up for his belief, either out of ignorance or inability, I let go of the conversation. If they can, then fine. Lets discuss.

One of the oldest rules in the book is to never talk about religion at the dinner table.
And some old saws deserve a swift death.