• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You say that there is a god...

lukethethird

unknown member
That's not true.
My answer to you.
Then you insisted that since science is not able to answer that question, then it automatically means that any concept of God must be fantasy.
So to show how unreasonable that 'logic' is, I tried to help you to understand why it's so unreasonable, by pointing out that there are a lot of real things science cannot answer... like for example, morality.
I tried repeatedly, here, here, and here.
Unfortunately, I failed, since reasonableness does not appear to be one of those things you keep company with.

So, since you are now trying to have the last word with what's an obvious false story of what's the actual situation., I'm staying with you... Not letting you have that.
That too, is an atheist tactic - trying to cover the truth with a post declaring themselves the winner.

I asked you some questions which you don't dare answer, lest they highlight the obvious flaw in your thinking.
I am not asking questions about what science cannot answer, I am asking what the science is behind your claim that an entity exists out there namely God. You're stumped, your non sequitur, pointing at morals proves it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I am not asking questions about what science cannot answer, I am asking what the science is behind your claim that an entity exists out there namely God. You're stumped, your non sequitur, pointing at morals proves it.
Wow. It's hopeless. You win. :trophy: Lol

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
You say that there is a god, but irrespective of whether or not there actually is, why should I be convinced that you know or are even capable of knowing such a thing?
I think you're asking the wrong question. Or, perhaps, asking the question wrong? I don't believe anyone knows. Only believes.

I struggle to rationalize myself, as to why I can't shake the belief, and I've come to think the reason is because the source is illogical, like an M. C. Escher piece, making sense when looking at the parts but not the whole. It's my personal perception now, that what inspired me was not in my skull, but something in my core or heart.

I was preconditioned for it, as my parents raised us as (albeit, rarely/non-practicing) Christians.

It was a feeling, that stirred a belief which catalyzed with thoughts and equilibrated into a damned dilemma or contradiction in my cortex. I've narrowed it down to a minimal of possibilities that my brain will not accept as dismissible, and they are untestable. i.e. Simulation theory or clockwork god; Deism.

And that's where I'm at, I still can't shake the feeling, but it gives me something to ponder and philosophize over.
Don't mind me! I'm just a realist that had something slipped into his Cup of Life and developed an addiction to God as a result. o_O

ppp

I think you're asking the wrong question. Or, perhaps, asking the question wrong? I don't believe anyone knows. Only believes.
Nope. That was the question I intended to ask. I am convinced that people believe and arcapable of believing. People believe all sorts of things, for all sorts of reasons, every day.

I was preconditioned for it, as my parents raised us as (albeit, rarely/non-practicing) Christians.

It was a feeling, that stirred a belief which catalyzed with thoughts and equilibrated into a damned dilemma or contradiction in my cortex. I've narrowed it down to a minimal of possibilities that my brain will not accept as dismissible, and they are untestable. i.e. Simulation theory or clockwork god; Deism.

And that's where I'm at, I still can't shake the feeling, but it gives me something to ponder and philosophize over.
Don't mind me! I'm just a realist that had something slipped into his Cup of Life and developed an addiction to God as a result. o_O

I was preconditioned in the same way. But my brain does not accept those things as admissible. They all get to hang out on my brain's doorstep until a time as to when one of those ideas finds itself some warrant.

We Never Know

No Slack
You say that there is a god, but irrespective of whether or not there actually is, why should I be convinced that you know or are even capable of knowing such a thing?

"Why should I be convinced that you know or are even capable of knowing such a thing?"

Doesn't that apply to a claim of a god not existing as well as a claim of a god existing?

ppp

"Why should I be convinced that you know or are even capable of knowing such a thing?"

Doesn't that apply to a claim of a god not existing as well as a claim of a god existing?
It does. But I trust that you understand that as a general rule atheist are not claiming that no gods exist. When someone claims that their particular god exists, the atheist is saying, I don't believe you. Why should I?

lukethethird

unknown member

Atheism is predicated on there being theists, if there was no one saying that there is a god out there, there would be no atheists saying I don't believe you.

Reactions: ppp

nPeace

Veteran Member
Correct. The falsehood and absence of evidence in religion gave rise to atheism.
That cannot possibly be true, and here is why.
Atheist become believers based on evidence for God.
If anything, you would be correct in declaring that atheism came about because of denying any evidence of God, and not believing in any God.

nPeace

Veteran Member
It does. But I trust that you understand that as a general rule atheist are not claiming that no gods exist. When someone claims that their particular god exists, the atheist is saying, I don't believe you. Why should I?
So, to you, an atheist is not a person that simply has no belief of gods.
In other words, someone raised in a home where religion isn't taught, isn't an atheist, until they are informed, of belief in God, and make an informed decision to not believe. Is that correct?

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member

Wow. It's hopeless. You win. :trophy: Lol
I was expected some kind of response, but I guess you are just happy with being declared winner.
I don't think I'm being fair to you, since it doesn't help you, and I don't want you to repeat the same mistake whenever you go. It could be embarrassing.

So take a look at your post above, and ask yourself, "does that make sense, or did I just highligh a paradox, which I have been doing for the past few days?"
I am not asking questions about what science cannot answer,
I am asking what the science is behind your claim that an entity exists out there namely God.

If that isn't clear to you, then go in peace with my previous comment. :D

lukethethird

unknown member
I was expected some kind of response, but I guess you are just happy with being declared winner.
I don't think I'm being fair to you, since it doesn't help you, and I don't want you to repeat the same mistake whenever you go. It could be embarrassing.

So take a look at your post above, and ask yourself, "does that make sense, or did I just highligh a paradox, which I have been doing for the past few days?"
I am not asking questions about what science cannot answer,
I am asking what the science is behind your claim that an entity exists out there namely God.

If that isn't clear to you, then go in peace with my previous comment. :D
What is the science behind black holes existing out there? What is the science behind god existing out there? What is the science behind quasars existing out there? Actually it was no contest, you never stood a chance by dodging the question all the time.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If anything, you would be correct in declaring that atheism came about because of denying any evidence of God, and not believing in any God.
Is there any evidence to deny? Don't blame us for not believing in what does not have evidence.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
What is the science behind black holes existing out there? What is the science behind god existing out there? What is the science behind quasars existing out there? Actually it was no contest, you never stood a chance by dodging the question all the time.
We use stars to 'see' the silhouette of the Quasar/Black Hole as it passes in front of said star at regular intervals.

We detect Magnetars because they send Fast Radio Bursts in pulses across the cosmos.

No transceiver or device has been made, that I know of, to detect or measure God. Any designs in mind?

lukethethird

unknown member
We use stars to 'see' the silhouette of the Quasar/Black Hole as it passes in front of said star at regular intervals.

We detect Magnetars because they send Fast Radio Bursts in pulses across the cosmos.

No transceiver or device has been made, that I know of, to detect or measure God. Any designs in mind?
Any designs in mind? You would have to ask those that make the claim that God exists out there, maybe they could point out where to look.

lukethethird

unknown member
That cannot possibly be true, and here is why.
Atheist become believers based on evidence for God.
You have no science to support your claim because there is no evidence, if there was evidence I would know about it and I would be a theist, and if I didn't know you would have explained it to me.

Last edited:

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Any designs in mind? You would have to ask those that make the claim that God exists out there, maybe they could point out where to look.
Wait, I disagree. It's my perception that those of a secular or science minded background, would not be prone to confirmation bias.

Then again, we have to define what we're searching for so we can test against the attributes we determine. Finding a definition that can be agreed upon by all, might be harder than finding evidence of God...

lukethethird

unknown member
Wait, I disagree. It's my perception that those of a secular or science minded background, would not be prone to confirmation bias.

Then again, we have to define what we're searching for so we can test against the attributes we determine. Finding a definition that can be agreed upon by all, might be harder than finding evidence of God...
So far all definitions of God are ambiguous and incoherent so finding a definition that can be agreed upon by all isn't going to happen in our lifetimes.

lukethethird

unknown member
Is there any evidence to deny? Don't blame us for not believing in what does not have evidence.
I guess believers believe that it is a virtue to believe without evidence, after all that is what Jesus taught and we all know how believers want to play a role in the big story. Jesus cursed non believers so again believers got to play their role in the big story.